Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 12-07-2008, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 740IL
1998 740iL - Low coolant level warning

I have a 1998 bmw 740iL. It gives me a warning saying "check coolant level" when the car is cold. But when it has been run for a while, and i start the car again, the warning goes away. What could be the problem?
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
mabie air pockets in the coolant system, when the engine gets warmer it trys to push the air out the resivore tank, somtimes the fluid fills the tank before any air can escape, thats why it says its fine after it warms up. try taking the refill cap off and run the car until you see the coolant back in the tank, then if any bubbles start to come up, be ready to top it off because it will suck the remaining fluid back into the system in place of the air pocket, so you dont want any air going in after it. try to keep an eye on overflow, somtimes the the air will push out the fluid before it comes out so try not to let anything important get wet. put a plastic bag over any close electrical components, or shield the side of the engine with somthing. this has happened with mine too so i hope i could help...
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Old Fogey

Mein Auto: BMW '95 840
The sensor is seeing a borderline low. Coolant expands when it is heated up so there is "more" coolant in the system when it is hot than when it is cold.

Filling it up with coolant and water should eliminate the warning.
'00 Range Rover Vitesse
www.wuffer.net
www.8coupe.com
www.8er.org
Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 AM
E38 - Flight on 4 wheels!

Mein Auto: 2001 750ilA
Don't forget to bleed the system of air with the small screw at the top of the tank. Do this when COLD the screw is plastic and can crack under heat .
BMW, the ONLY driving machine.! By the way, yes, it's fast...and NO! You can't drive it!! Power, elegance, styling, technology that is still cutting edge, the ultimate driving machine for sure.!
Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 740iL
Quote:
Originally Posted by incinci View Post
I have a 1998 bmw 740iL. It gives me a warning saying "check coolant level" when the car is cold. But when it has been run for a while, and i start the car again, the warning goes away. What could be the problem?
I had the same problem. I would check my expansion tank to confirm that the coolant level was fine and even bleed any air from the system but the "Check Coolant Level" nag would still come on occasionally. It turned out to be a faulty sensor. Not expensive or difficult to DIY.

P.S. I am new to your forum but not to the E38.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 740I sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by project37 View Post
I had the same problem. I would check my expansion tank to confirm that the coolant level was fine and even bleed any air from the system but the "Check Coolant Level" nag would still come on occasionally. It turned out to be a faulty sensor. Not expensive or difficult to DIY.

P.S. I am new to your forum but not to the E38.

dont mean to bump an old thread,

but my check coolant light also comes on in the morning when the car is cold. my car has 140k on it. I will do a coolant flush with a mechanic actually. it probably needs one.

I had a mechanic check it about a month ago and he said the level is fine actually. (maybe a bad sensor???????????)

I guess this is a common theme on bmw's esp the e38.

how much is it for a sensor if the sensor is faulty or dead?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
2001 740il Sport, RIP

Mein Auto: 2006 750i Sport, '13 QX56
It's like 25/30 bucks. 30% more from the dealer. Easy swap