Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Alja Bydlo

Mein Auto: 93 325i
E36 Door locks and Windows stop working.

Ok, my car(93 325i sedan) was sitting in my garage for about 3 days. When I went to drive it I try'd to open the window. Nope, woun't open. So as the other 3.

Parked the car, check the fuses. #7 was blown(central locking, burglary system). Check to see if my locks work. Nope. Changed the fuse, got blown again. Put a bigger one. Fine, everything works. Until I locked the car 3 times. I checked the fuse, OK. And I can smell burning smell. Took the fuse out, come ower here for sugestions.

I don't think I have burglary system. So If it's a central locking, what does it have to do with windows?

Point to the part that you think is responsible, I will change it, I have them all.

Please help.

Fun and Unique VipJournal
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Sounds like a bad earth somewhere or your comfort relay is FUBAR

Edirty6 for life
Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Alja Bydlo

I was searching online, and I found this thread. He have exact same problem as me. But mine #7 is good now and something else is f**ked up.
Quote:
Having said all this, this turned out not to be my problem. I had the same issue: windows & sunroof stopped at the same time. I never realized that my power door locks were also not working. I checked all the fuses which I thought had something to do with it, nothing. So, I replaced the comfort relay...still nothing. Once I realized the power locks were not working either, I checked the fuses for that. Turned out that fuse #7 (5 amp) had blown. Once I replaced this, everything was working again. Of course, I needlessly replaced a good comfort relay, but it was only a $25 part.

Who would think that a 5 amp fuse for the central locking system, could cause so many things to stop working. Only some devious German engineer could have dreamed up that wiring scheme.
Quote:
Sounds like a bad earth somewhere or your comfort relay is FUBAR
I'm goint to replace comfort relay right now. Thank you.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Alja Bydlo

OK, I replaced comfort relay. Still the same.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Bad earth

check the wires in the rubber 'boot' that move when you open the boot (trunk)

If not, the ones in the door when you open it (between the hinges)

Edirty6 for life
Old 12-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Alja Bydlo

Hm, just tried to lock the driver side door, it doesent eaven lock/unlock manualy. So I'm going to go ahead and rip the door components apart.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:55 AM
Alja Bydlo

Checkt every booth. Sprayd the connectors with electric cleaner. Same thing.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Alja Bydlo

Solved. ok a have installed heated seats like 4 monts ago, and I hook them up to window switch(I know, pretty stupid). But everythig was fine, until today. So I unplug them, and It started working. I hook them up correctly for shure, I think the heated elements are shot. Well I'm going to hook them up to something else and see what's up.

I'b be back with "Help Instrument cluster stoped working" ))

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
E38 - Flight on 4 wheels!

Mein Auto: 2001 750ilA
Glad you found the problem. I had similar issues, but turned out changing the fuses was all I needed to do.
BMW, the ONLY driving machine.! By the way, yes, it's fast...and NO! You can't drive it!! Power, elegance, styling, technology that is still cutting edge, the ultimate driving machine for sure.!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i
I had the same problem, turned out to be the electrical relay going into the trunk lid. Several wires inside a flexible covering. Cover had cracked and several wires were stripped. When they touched, they blew out the small 5amp fuse (I believe #7) which shut off power to all windows and sunroof.

Now that I've got that solved, my next problem is the rear windows not always working. They work fine when operated from the center console, but not always from the rear door switches. They have to be pushed 3 or 4 times before I get any movement. And, no it is not the child lock switch on the console. I've taken the door switches apart and cleaned them, but it hasn't helped.
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: 318 i convertible
locks problem

i have a problem with my door locks , somebody tried to breanto my car destroyed both locks driver and passenger how do i replace them for cheap , called the dealership they want 1200$ i can't afford that much for locks can i get locks fom a junk yard and install them in , also can i install keyless entry in my car or system alarm , if yes what is the cheapest after market ones that my work wth my e36 thx so much , any help out there?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 93 BMW 325i
i had same problem i dont know what the relay is called but its right under ur steering wheel. you have to take the plastic off then theirs a nother one plastic u take it off and it should be right their..