Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Totaled STI want BMW now!

Mein Auto: Subaru STI
03 760Li reliability?

Hi, just registered to this site and hoping to have a BMW soon.

I have a question I have been looking for a 760li for a while now, the only ones in my price range are the 03s with mid to high millage. I am currently looking at one with 85,000 miles and is covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. How reliable are these cars after 80,000 miles? What are the biggest problems?

Also if you have one for sale let me know!

Cheers,
Randy
Advertisement
Old 12-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Hell no. Get a 745i from '05 or 750i '06 for the same price.

'03 will be out of warranty soon and they will make you bend over every time something breaks.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: CLS55 AMG
If your planning on keeping the car for a while, I highly recomend you get a 745 or 750. The newer the better. Also make sure it's cpo. The reason I say this is because if you keep the car longer than the factory warranty period you can purchase third party warranty for the v8s. Majority or even all if these companies will not warranty a v12. All in all, if your mind is made up on a 7, don't own one without warranty.

Last edited by ssonss1; 12-11-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the info ... my heart really goes out to the 760li with that beauty V12, another specific question: How reliable is the V12? Does anyone have extended warranty on a 760li and what company and how much (money and extended millage)?

Thanks for helping a newbie out!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745li
Dealer just did about $8k of work (their cost) to my 04 with 60K miles. and the car has been maintained buy the dealer since new. If I were you I would not do it in a million years, you'd have to be nuckin futs. Unless you have cash to burn, and if you do I would just lease a new one!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:07 PM

Good to know! What did they fix? At least with 85,000 there is 15000 miles left on the warranty, so I could just sell after that.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 PM

new trans = dealer cost 6K plus labor
Headlight malfunction + $1,300 + labor deal cost

Keep in mind, my car is what I would call perfect condition always dealer maintained and mint condition never hit, abused, and I have been the only driver since new. $hit just comes out of nowhere. Last week I would have bet you hard cash that my car would never have needed $8k worth of work, but bam there it was! pretty scarry. With 15K miles to go on a used 760 v12, I just have to ask you why? thats like 1 year, after that your will be kickin yourself BIGTIME. Plus no one will want to buy it when your done with it, since it will be out of warranty. [********?]

Last edited by M.Wong; 12-12-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Mod note - Insult removed
Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 760li 2003 Black
don't listen to these guys i just bought (well 2 months ago) a 760li still under warranty til 2009 68k on it. if you get a good deal on the car and it is in mint condition (i swear people ask me all the time is that an '08. the paint is perfect) get it. just get an extended warranty (i just signed up with AA auto warranty they cover v12 and navigation/radio systems).
just make sure you aren't paying more than 30k for it (the book is 46K in excellent condition which mine is.)
also trust me you will not find a 745 or 750 with all the features and comfort of a 760li
Old 12-11-2008, 11:09 PM

valbeatz I agree with you, I also agree with occory it will be scary after the warranty is up. If you don't mind me askin how much AA's extended warranty costs? (pm me if you don't want to blurt out on the forum). Dick size has nothing to do with it, I had a 500hp STI, that turned heads from the noise alone. I am looking more low key, with luxury and gadgets and still good power ... yes it will feel sluggish in comparison, but I am gettin the totaled STI back so it will be on the road again (not that much damage ... strange actually why the totaled it) or another STI with its motor swapped in that will be my annoying head turner.

I'm open to all opinions, at the moment all you with 7's or any beemer know a lot more than I do!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 PM

Dont listen to us guys that have owned these cars for several years, listen to the guy that says, go for because he's owned one for 2 months now and he's had no problems, Just make sure its got perfect paint, so your friend will "think" it's an 08. What ever! I will be the first to tell you it is a nice car, just be prepaired cause it's comming.

valbeatz, news flash 09 is next month, you've owned this thing for two months, You have no idea, either!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm listenin to all, My main reason for gettin the car is for me (it is nice to have people check out ur car) not what others like. If that were the case I would look for a ride with a more accepted trunk
Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 760li 2003 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by occory View Post
Dont listen to us guys that have owned these cars for several years, listen to the guy that says, go for because he's owned one for 2 months now and he's had no problems, Just make sure its got perfect paint, so your friend will "think" it's an 08. What ever! I will be the first to tell you it is a nice car, just be prepaired cause it's comming.

valbeatz, news flash 09 is next month, you've owned this thing for two months, You have no idea, either!
1. you know it seems that alot of people on this forum shoot down these cars...yes the car does have some issues (as does any car) but honestly if its too much for you then go buy a camry or an accord. i have a 2003 760li i know at some point i am gonna have to spend some serious dough on my serious car. (but see item 3 below) however if my engine or tranny go i am covered and those are the things i worry about the most.
2. in terms of the paint etc. anyone knows that resale value is based on condition. i just brought it up to make a point
3. i didn't say i am delusional i just explained that i did get the extended warranty (so clearly i have an idea since i have been to the dealer 3 times already). however i paid a very reasonable price for my car.
4. ranmako do what i did take the car to a dealer have them go over the entire thing and have them print the history of what has been done.

the truth is the reason i ended up with a 760 is i was looking for a 745 and found 1 w/ 72000 under warranty. but then found the 760 with 68k for the same price in much better shape.

btw occory thanks for the newsflash i had no idea '09 is next month

Last edited by M.Wong; 12-12-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Mod note - Original comment removed, this response also removed.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:41 PM

The original question was reliability, and Valbeatz I'm sorry bro, but 2 months of ownership does not really make you the best judge of somethings reliability. Thats not a personal attack!

I agree with your comment "if is to much for someone they should buy a Camary or Accord" (nothing wrong with that) and they shouldn't buy a used 7series. The thing is, its not the cost of a used 7that gets you, it's the cost to make repairs when they come up. The motors on these vehicles are quite sound, the trans is another thing all together. The electronics are overwhelming and they seem to control everything. Over the course just the past year I would bet you the dealer has performed over $4k in minor none drive train related repairs to my car and an additional $6-7K their cost on trans, and I consider my car to be well maintained and problem free. Sure if the car wasn't under warranty then alot of that work would'nt have gotten repaired, but do you really want to be driving around in a car with alot of problems, and things not working? To me a third party powertrain warranty is better than going commando, but If I had to have this car and couldn't buy/lease new, I would strongly reccommend visiting your local dealer and buying a CPO it will be worth the extra money if you plan on driving the vehicle and keeping it in top condition. I think they are have some pretty good deals going now.

The big question is how much is to much, since these cars seem to have their share of problems and are very costly to repair, a person should know what they are getting into. If their planning on driving the car daily, and they are on a budget, they should look at something else. If their planning to park it in the garage and drive it twice a month to the car wash, then go for it.

Remember, most of us in this forum own the car. So when we say what we say it is not to "Shoot Down" the car, we are just stating fact, I do really like the car alot, as long as it's under warranty and BMW is paying for the repairs. I could lease a new one for the amount of money BMW has spent on service repairs this year alone. To me thats crazy, and I would'nt do it, if you want to go for it!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: '06 750LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by occory View Post

^^^
Old 12-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E66,E90,W211,NSX,E39,E38
This thread is too funny!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:55 PM

I agree, this is gettin a little off the topic and a little more personal. I would like to see other opinions too.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:10 PM

ranmako, there has been over 200 view to this thread and only 4 people offered feed back.

BmW745On19's: notes and warns the expense of out of warannty repairs. He reccommends buying one with factory warranty. (Member since 05')

ssonss1: says dont own one out of warranty, buy CPO (Member since 06')

occory: I repeatetly warned of the cost to maintain, giving you first hand information related to the dealer cost of repairs of his vehicle over just the past year. Recommend you buy CPO or be prepaired to spend some stupid money to maintain it, and I advised this car is not for someone on a budget. If you understand that I said go for it. (Member since 07')

valbeatz: has owned his for 2 months and says go for it, feels good with his 3rd party powertrain warranty, because he got such a good deal on the car. But remember he admittes to only owning it for two months and has alreday been to the dealer 3 times. He also states he is prepaired to spend "serious dough" for future repairs.

The subject has not gotten "off topic" at all. Everyone seems to has given you pretty solid information.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
i would pass. find a 06+ 760 with warranty. ive had tons of problems with the engine.

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone