Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-15-2008, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
Reverse Clunk

I have read many threads about this but i would like an answer for my specific situation.
Im looking at a 2000 328i automatic with 135k. Everything works great on it except when i shift into reverse from park, after about 1 sec it feels like a mule kicked me from behind, but that is the only time there is any sort of clunk, there is none between any other gears. The explanation i have gotten is the rear diff. mount.
I have read other posts with similar problems such as a reverse clunk and clunks when shifting to other gears, and people suggest transmission problems.
I watched a short video
of a bad diff. mount and i can see how that would create the clunk when shifting to reverse.
So is this indeed the rear diff. mount? and second can i drive the car for a while with a bad rear diff. mount? keep in mind i do not drive my cars hard, and i only drive about 5k miles a year.

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 3-series
1. Yes.
2. Depends on how bad the mount is.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
so what eventually happens? the mount breaks apart completely if left unfixed?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 3-series
I don't know what happens.
Mine was diagnosed as needing replacement.
It's a $50 part, but they need to drop the differential to do it. I think the estimate was for over $800.
Since it's not clunking too badly, I'll wait a while.
I think it's just a rubber mount that gets old and cracks or something like that.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328ci
Same Problem!

Hi there

I had this exact problem with my 2000 BMW 328i with 140kilometers Auto transmission. At first it freaked me out. Loud thumping noise into reverse and on weight transfer. I took it to the shop and they told me it was a cracked near diff mount. Turns out thats exactly what it was. The part was 50$ and had to be ordered. The labor was 3.3 hours at a total of 280$. Whole driveshaft and other big things apart on the back, hence all the labor. Now she runs like a damn dream. After it was done he showed me the part that came out. Looks like a small cup with a rubber core and hollow metal centre for the mount. It was indeed all the rubber that had cracked and there was play in the mount. So dont be afraid its not a tranny problem!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:57 PM
riscaife

Mein Auto: 1996 328i
My 96 328i has always clunked into reverse after initial start up. Goes away when warm. I'm not worried.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i
Transmission Clunks

I'm also trying to figure out why my transmission clunks when I shift car from park to drive or vise versa. I'm thinking maybe I need new transmisson or differential mounts? I also have a slight hesitation from first to second gear in the morning when I take my first drive (cold engine). Other than that it shifts great. Is there a way to see or check if the mounts are worn?