Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530
DSC and 4X4 Warning Lights on 2008 535xi

When pulling out of the garage in the mornings, while in reverse, I get a 4X4 and DSC malfunction warning that tells me to contact my nearest BMW service center. Additionally my time clock on the dash gets re-set to 00:00:00.

Took it to the dealer who could not find a reason why the 4x4 DSC warning lights came on, but detected Kombi faults while performing a DIS Test. The bill for services says they intialized and cleared faults, but this was only to address the clock issue. Got the car back and had to re-set all programs for entertainment, Nav, etc.

Anyone else having this problem? Car has only 8,000 miles on it crazy to have this happen, especially now when there is snow and ice on the road and I need the Xdrive.

Can anyone tell me if this was the right fix? Dont trust the service center at this particular dealer as the repair log shows no action taken for the 4x4 DSC issue. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 12-17-2008, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008-535xi
Have the same problem see my post. I had sensor in steering wheel replaced and still did it.
Taking it back to dealer for a track down of problem. I think it is a power drain issue. Seems that when my ipod is not plugged into usb does not happen.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: '14 550i xDrive
I agree that it's likely a low battery issue. When my friend took redelivery of his 535xi, after the car was in-transit for a few months, the same faults appeared. Once the battery was fully charged, they cleared, and haven't reappeared.

Past: '11 335i xDrive Coupe - 6MT

Past: '08 335xi Coupe - 6MT

Euro Delivery
Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 530
Thanks. Calling BMW NA today and will be armed with a few more questions, to which I will get the usual " I have no idea" response.

Wow a simple battery issue, caused by an Ipod being left in the USB connector can drain that much juice such as to cause a computer to de-activate the xdrive and hence trip the
4X4 DTC warning?

That's Chinese engineering not German! Scary Stuff.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
same issue, resolved by battery charge

my 2008 535xi had all the same warnings (4X$, DSC, blank clock..), dealer said I do not drive enough so battery had a low voltage. they charged car overnight and I have not seen the lights yet.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: MY07 530xi
Had similar warnings and had it in twice for servicing. The second time they recalibrated the steering wheel sensor and installed the latest software. So far so good.
MY07 530xi Monaco Blue, Beige Interior, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Radio, HD Radio, Navigation, Rear Sun Shades, Park Distance Control, Comfort Seats and Fold Down Rear Seats.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: 535xi
I got it a few times in the past 2 weeks... unplugged the ipod and haven't gotten the message since. So BMW... you're saying that my Ipod can run for days on it's own little battery but will drain my auto battery overnight or within 2 days? I have a short commute (5 minutes or less) but drive it longer twice a week though.

I've also had numerous instances of clock time getting reset lately too.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Hmmm....

I have an RWD 550 and was also getting a dynamic stability malfunction..Is that what the OP was getting?

According to my SA, this traces to steering components and not the DSC.

My error came and went twice..I posted this over on the E60 forum and the replies from other owners were sensors freezing with large temp swings or steering wheel sensor replacement..

My SA told me that even a small steering fluid decline can cause this error and he filled the fluid level back.

My error only occured when the temp went from cold to really cold (living in MN) in a short period of time..This makes me believe it could have been some sensors freezing..

Interesting all the posts in this thread are from snow/cold weather climates...
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 01-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 750i
I seem to be reading a lot of stuff regarding 535xi's lately. Problems so bad BMW is replacing the car?!?!?!?

I love BMW's, I'm on my forth but my current E60 is the most problematic by far

I have access to a Lexus RX330 for the winters, its no fun to drive but it gets you through the snow and NOTHING ever breaks, NOTHING ever freezes, throw codes etc and the car sits for months and months at a time with no trickle charger and it always starts.

Electronics aren't that hard. Why is BMW struggling so much with this stuff ?

08 750i - Black Sapphire, Comfort Seat pkg, Premium Sound, Rear Heated Seats

Vorsteiner V105's w/Michelin Pilots shipping 3/1/11 20x8.5 F, 20x10 R

Planned upgrades - Quaife LSD, Dinan Software, throttle body and exhaust

Last edited by mhs525; 01-20-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
This thing is just a low battery issue, seems to be a particular xi problem.

I have experienced it myself recently, and the solution is to have your dealer make sure the battery is totally recharged and at it's max - then buy a battery tender and hook it up if you aren't using the car for several days. That should solve the problem.

These cars have a lot of electrical gadgets, and when it's cold, the heated seats, heated steering wheel, lights for more dark hours, auto a/c on to keep moisture out of system, radio, extra iPods, etc all take their toll. Add to that short trips around town and not much hiway drriving and you have a problem. Today's cars need more than a 12 Volt system and I think that's coming in the future.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs525 View Post
I seem to be reading a lot of stuff regarding 535xi's lately. Problems so bad BMW is replacing the car?!?!?!?

I love BMW's, I'm on my forth but my current E60 is the most problematic by far

I have access to a Lexus RX330 for the winters, its no fun to drive but it gets you through the snow and NOTHING ever brakes, NOTHING ever freezes, throw codes etc and the car sits for months and months at a time with no trickle charger and it always starts.

Electronics aren't that hard. Why is BMW struggling so much with this stuff ?
My wife's had two RX's and now an ES350....All were absolutely problem free and unfortunately, boring as hell to drive..Definite trade-off's
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Old 04-07-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
This thing is just a low battery issue, seems to be a particular xi problem.

I have experienced it myself recently, and the solution is to have your dealer make sure the battery is totally recharged and at it's max - then buy a battery tender and hook it up if you aren't using the car for several days. That should solve the problem.

These cars have a lot of electrical gadgets, and when it's cold, the heated seats, heated steering wheel, lights for more dark hours, auto a/c on to keep moisture out of system, radio, extra iPods, etc all take their toll. Add to that short trips around town and not much hiway drriving and you have a problem. Today's cars need more than a 12 Volt system and I think that's coming in the future.
See my postings under "increased battery discharge". We have a 2008 535xi wagon and were told we didn't drive it enough and needed trickle charger plugged in 1x a week. However, we have 20,000 miles on it in 14 mos. and drive everywhere at highway speed (live in the country and use freeway to get anywhere). They have a problem with these cars and are not doing a fix because I think it would be huge so they tell people to get a charger and see them on their way. We've had 3 batteries and an alternator since Dec. 07. If the problem were really short trips, they would have to sell the cars with a charger attached and include that in the instruction manual!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi, 2003 540iT +
I have the same issue on my '08 535xi and got the same (weak) response from my SA - "you don't drive enough." It sits for a week in a heated garage as I travel for work. I won't take it to the airport for many reasons but I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded when I get home either. So, I spent the $50 (or whatever) on a Deltran charger. It sits next to my 2003 540 (original battery) which starts up perfectly after sitting a month or more. So, I have to plug in my car and deal with the fact I have no AWD for the part of the drive I need it most. (1/2 mile to road). I think its just a poor design. If they can't design a sleep mode better than that - there are issues.
Now, I need to get the hard-wired connector for the Deltran installed. The easist (for connecting/disconnecting) would be out of the trunk and then I'd see it before I took off. I also don't like the hood up or wires running on the floor with my little kids around. (they are trained not to get near the car but still don't like the wires)
Maybe BMW should just admit the poor design and provide a plug-in for the car?
Old 04-07-2009, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi wagon
We drive our car virtually every day - maybe it's lucky if one day we don't in a week. So, it's definitely not a problem with ours sitting. This is our 5th BMW and we had an 06 535 wagon with everything that this one has, but we wanted the more powerful engine in this one. Never had a problem like this with the '06 and its battery requirements were the same. People need to speak up so they get a fix for this.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrv View Post
We drive our car virtually every day - maybe it's lucky if one day we don't in a week. So, it's definitely not a problem with ours sitting. This is our 5th BMW and we had an 06 535 wagon with everything that this one has, but we wanted the more powerful engine in this one. Never had a problem like this with the '06 and its battery requirements were the same. People need to speak up so they get a fix for this.
Our car gets diven daily, and plenty of miles. The steering angle sensor and software update has really reduced the frequency, but it still happens.

I have to believe the car is still not going into sleep mode correctly.

Now we know what it is, we've learned to live with it.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:03 AM
DirtyDeedsDoneDirtCheap

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
A quick fix to this problem is to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left as far as it will go, and then turn it all the way to the right as far as it will go. This will take care of the warning lights.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 650i. 535xi
When I had a problem with battery drain with my BMW, my SA advised locking the car even if its in the garage as it puts all the electronics to sleep except the alarm system which is less of a drain on the battery than having everything in the wake mode with the car unlocked.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi Sports Wagon
Here's the deal. First time I had the DSC 4x4 warning they replaced the steering wheel sensor. Happened a couple of more times but would clear after putting it in drive for a 100 yards. The last trip into the dealer for the 15k the clock and date reset to zero when they were backing it off the rack. They kept the car overnight to upgrade the software. When I picked it up I was assured by the SA that it was fixed. In fact he was adamant they nailed it. So....almost 9k later it hasn't happened again. Not sure what version they upgraded to...didn't think to ask at the time.

Now I've got the transmission clunk at start up which I hear is another upgrade. Wonder if Microsoft is writing their code :-)
Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 M235i; 94 Mx5 R Pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmster View Post
When pulling out of the garage in the mornings, while in reverse, I get a 4X4 and DSC malfunction warning that tells me to contact my nearest BMW service center. Additionally my time clock on the dash gets re-set to 00:00:00.

Took it to the dealer who could not find a reason why the 4x4 DSC warning lights came on, but detected Kombi faults while performing a DIS Test. The bill for services says they intialized and cleared faults, but this was only to address the clock issue. Got the car back and had to re-set all programs for entertainment, Nav, etc.

Anyone else having this problem? Car has only 8,000 miles on it crazy to have this happen, especially now when there is snow and ice on the road and I need the Xdrive.

Can anyone tell me if this was the right fix? Dont trust the service center at this particular dealer as the repair log shows no action taken for the 4x4 DSC issue. Thanks.
We just had this problem for the first time last Saturday. While getting ready for a trip, I left the rear tailgate of the Touring 535Xit open for several hours while we were loading it. Is that long enough to cause a low battery problem?

When I started the car to leave on vacation, I got the 4X4 warning failure, etc, and to contact BMW service right away. Needless to say, I just headed out for our 744 mile drive on vacation. A couple of hours into the trip I notice the clock was reset to 00:00. I did not encounter any problems and the system seemed to reset and lose the 4X4 failure when I restarted the car after we fueled up. It has been 5 days and the warning has not reappeared.

What the heck is going on with the electrics in this car?
ED#4: 3/17/14

2011 335i 6 SPD M-Sport CWP CA HK ETTE Laguna Blue
ED#3: 8/15/11

2011 X3 3.5 HK CWP
PCD#1: 2/11/11

2008 535Xit Slush Box Prem Sport HK CWP CA Monaco Blue
ED#2: 2/16/08

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566...ueFebruary2008

2007 335i 6 SPD Sport CWP HK CA ETTE Montego Blue
ED#1: 7/31/07

http://picasaweb.google.com/Rich8566/335iEDAugust2007
Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 AM

Another 4x4 DSC Issue

I've now had 3 4x4 DSC malfuntion warnings and 1 new battery. I was given the same BS by my SA about not driving the car enough and maybe needing a charger installed. I told him that would not work, I didn't buy a hybrid or electric car. Told him the car doesn't work properly and I need a real solution. Currently reading up on the lemon laws in my state. This sounds like a serious issue for them. You can't tell someone who dropped $60 grand on a car that they have to plug it into the wall.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 12 X5 35i SA + various
Did you get the steering angle sensor and software fix?

Ours has been good since then. No issues, even in cold weather.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:04 AM

same frustrations in Canada

Getting as frustrated as everyone below. Have been into BMW multiple times to be told 'we don't drive the car enough' and 'its because the battery is in the trunk which is cold' and 'car draws so much power'...you should buy a battery charger
My answer - not my problem. This is a $90k car in Canada - I shouldn't have to be paying additional money because of a BMW design flaw (battery in trunk) or an electrical flaw or a programming error etc.
I will tell them about steering wheel sensors etc, and I am going to print thses posts and bring them in...but my next call is to BMW central with more agressive words...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:13 AM

BMW Contact

Unfortunately, BMW wasn't any more help than my dealer. I spoke to Jared, the head of customer service for the Midwest I think, several times. I'm sure he'd love to hear your complaints as well. 800-831-1117 x6265
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
I had the same issue with my 08 535xi. I took it to the dealer, the "4x4 malfunction" warning disappeared on my way tothe dealer. The service guy there told me the same thing "probably low battery - you didn't drive enough, or because it's too old". I don't get it - it's driven almost everyday, and it's garage parked.

It seems that many of you got the same "low battery" answer. Cold anyone explain why low battery => 4x4 malfunction? Also, we went on vacation in summer and that 535xi sat in the garage for weeks. Definitely the battery was low, how come it didn't show 4x4 malfunction?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 PM

a followup...

So I thought I would write everyone with a follow-up. I went up through the line of command at BMW Canada. Response was 'too bad' we spoke to your dealer and you don't drive enough. I told them that you can't drive any further in our city than where we live and if that was BMW's response there probably shouldn't be a dealership here. Whats funnier is if you tell this story to anyone (apparently other than BMW customer service) they look at you dumbfounded that BMW is trying to blame this problem on the driver patterns of its customers.

I also used several of the ideas presented at this site to tell them why this was not acceptable resposne. I ended with 'we are in a position to either speak positively of BMW or not. Right now I will tell everyone I know not to buy a BMW' and mentioned the fact it had come up on this group to 'unite' in our displeasure with their response. This actually caught some attention and they called back and said they would install a battery charger gratus (not sure if it was risk of lost sales or risk of class action suit). I said 'thanks, but this does not address the problem'. Anyway charger put in this summer...HERE IS THE INSULT TO INJURY....the charger they put in doesn't ahve a cord long enough to even come out of the car - had to leave the hood open. Recently BMW charged me $20 to put an extension cord on the charger and run it out of the car...they chose a beautiful blue (sarcastic) to match my black and grey car.

I have rambled enought, but suffices to say that I will not recommend a BMW to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hodge View Post
Getting as frustrated as everyone below. Have been into BMW multiple times to be told 'we don't drive the car enough' and 'its because the battery is in the trunk which is cold' and 'car draws so much power'...you should buy a battery charger
My answer - not my problem. This is a $90k car in Canada - I shouldn't have to be paying additional money because of a BMW design flaw (battery in trunk) or an electrical flaw or a programming error etc.
I will tell them about steering wheel sensors etc, and I am going to print thses posts and bring them in...but my next call is to BMW central with more agressive words...