Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
seungykim seungykim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canyon Country, CA (just north of LA)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe manual
Z4 M and E92 328i

All

I currently own a 2008 328i.
I have always wished a bit more engaging car like Z4 M, however: A bit more power and handling.

Since the Z4 M's price has come down quite a bit, I wonder if I should consider it.

However, the biggest problem is how it stacks up against my car, especially as a daily driver, practicality, gas mileage, etc.

Since you all are very knowledgeable of your car, especially Z4 M, could you some feedback to my somewhat crazy idea?

here's a car I am looking at.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

thank you
__________________
2008 328i coupe
Premium
Sport
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-20-2009, 04:36 PM
reidconti reidconti is offline
Officially Weird
Location: Belmont, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,618
Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
The only reason to have the 3er is if you really need to carry 3+ people. Most people driving a coupe don't NEED to carry more than 2 people, they just choose to on occasion.

I have a 2-seater because I bought my car for myself, not to shuttle friends around in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:19 PM
jsc's Avatar
jsc jsc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,441
Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungykim View Post
All

I currently own a 2008 328i.
I have always wished a bit more engaging car like Z4 M, however: A bit more power and handling.

Since the Z4 M's price has come down quite a bit, I wonder if I should consider it.

However, the biggest problem is how it stacks up against my car, especially as a daily driver, practicality, gas mileage, etc.

Since you all are very knowledgeable of your car, especially Z4 M, could you some feedback to my somewhat crazy idea?

here's a car I am looking at.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

thank you
We have both a 2007 Z4M roadster and a 2006 E90 325i (which is dynamically virtually identical to your 328i). Differences:

Gas mileage: 325i about 25% better than Z4M.
Daily driving: Z4M somewhat noisier than 325i with roof up, but otherwise both are quite decent daily drivers.
Practicality: 325i is definitely more practical for carrying luggage and an extra 2 passengers, but I don't need to do that very often.
Handling: 325i feels about halfway between a minivan and the Z4M in terms of feel and connection to the road.
Grip: Z4M is noticeably better than the 325i in putting the power down, especially on snow covered surfaces (mainly due to the brilliant M-diff).
Power: 325i is adequate, Z4M is significantly better.
Fun Factor: 325i is, again, about halfway between a minivan and the Z4M with the roof down.
Long distance trips: You will be less tired and have less of a smile on your face driving the 325i long distances compared to the Z4M.
Maintenance costs: Expect about double the price for Z4M maintenance over, say 100,000km than the 325i, even if you DIY.

Bottom line the 325i/328i is excellent transportation, the Z4M is fun transportation.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
fitchesbass fitchesbass is offline
Registered User
Location: Arlington, VA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: Z4M, project p-cars
Z4M is going to feel like a totally different animal in handling, power, feel etc.

Main things to think about - gas mileage will probably be not as good - but to me it's not terrible. Then again, this isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I daily drive my car 40k miles a day and do events with it on the weekends and it has served dual purpose for me very well.

Cabin room is a not on the high side in the z4M coupe which is probably another big difference. Perfect for guy my size, 6'1, 185 - but my father is a bit taller and larger than me and he is cramped. Also view out the rear of the car is difficult sometimes - I drive in DC, 4 lane traffic and it takes an alert driver to stay out of trouble and away from the crazies. Those are the negatives I suppose but for me they are not big deals. The positives are obviously, handling, power, brakes, fun....

Best advice is go test drive one yourself. I am a young, single (most the time ) guy that lives in DC area uses metro on the weekends to meet up with friends and the car to drive to work during the week....so the car fits me perfectly right now.
__________________
Daily

Last edited by fitchesbass; 09-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-20-2009, 11:28 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,362
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungykim View Post
All

I currently own a 2008 328i.
I have always wished a bit more engaging car like Z4 M, however: A bit more power and handling.

Since the Z4 M's price has come down quite a bit, I wonder if I should consider it.

However, the biggest problem is how it stacks up against my car, especially as a daily driver, practicality, gas mileage, etc.

Since you all are very knowledgeable of your car, especially Z4 M, could you some feedback to my somewhat crazy idea?

here's a car I am looking at.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

thank you
Good comments here, as a former Z4 owner, I'll just add a bit.

You might want to try a Z4 3.0si - it's a much less drastic change and it's plenty of fun and capability - more than you could ever explore on public roads.

The Si engine is essentially like your 328's with a bit more power and it gets excellent fuel economy in the Z4 - which is lighter than your current car.

The Z4 is quite a bit smaller and you sit lower. It can be difficult to see out of with the top up - so you really need to take one out for a long and extensive test drive.

Also, getting in and out can be tough if you have a back problem or any kind of leg or knee injury.

They're great cars though, but so ar 328's - it's a tough call, I loved mine, but I sold it after one year primarily because my wife, who has back issues, had trouble with it.

Buyer's choice though
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:08 AM
seungykim seungykim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canyon Country, CA (just north of LA)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe manual
Thank you everyone for your great replies.

I test drove Z4 3.0 Si version, and it was a great car. However, if I want Z4, I want to go all the way and get a Z4 MC. It just looks better, and the power is just something you don't get enough of.

I test drove a Z4 MC about 6 months ago, and I almost got the car. The only reason not getting that was solely due to my wife's argument about practicality. So, as a compromise, I got the 328i.

Don't get me wrong, 328i is a great car. It has more than enough power can handling than average DD cars. However, i guess there's always something to yearn about when it comes to a man and his car.

I guess since it's been about an year of my purchase, I don't think it's the right time to do any drastic action of switching my car. Eventually, however, I hope to get a car like Z4 MC. If I need to carry people around, I guess I will just use my future SUV or van or something like that.

I really envy you all for having such a nice car, btw. Hopefully in a year or so, I will get my own.
__________________
2008 328i coupe
Premium
Sport
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:29 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
I have both.

The only thing I will say, is the MZ4 Coupe is only truly happy at the track or being driven like it's meant to be driven. Otherwise, it'll disguise itself as sedate, daily driver, but it's never going to be happy. So, if you care about the car more than you care about your needs...I wouldn't do it.

The E92 is a superb ALL AROUND CAR. The 328i does everything we ask it to...From family trips to Vegas for a whole week, to hauling little Ms. Hack to see grandpa and grandma, to driving to the bus station everyday for my wife, to some weekend jaunts to the local mountain roads...It's fun enough, it's practical enough, and gosh darn it, we like it (apologies to Senator Al Franken). The MZ4 Coupe is never going to come close to matching its practicality and all around good-ness.

But it's not great. It doesn't elicit the sort of visceral response, the sheer adrenaline rush, and the absolute love/hate relationship you have with it on the track (love the way it handles better than any BMW I've ever driven with [insert name of fancy coil-over here] bone freakin' stock, hate the way it moves the limit so freakin' high that once you exceed it, you're in a WORLD OF HURT) with the MZ4 Coupe. I equate it to my little mistress. The E92 328i is the girl you marry. The MZ4 Coupe is the mistress you have on the side when you need to have your brain f**ked out.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:39 PM
reidconti reidconti is offline
Officially Weird
Location: Belmont, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,618
Mein Auto: Clownshoe,Miata,WeeStrom
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Otherwise, it'll disguise itself as sedate, daily driver, but it's never going to be happy. So, if you care about the car more than you care about your needs...I wouldn't do it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-21-2009, 01:59 PM
seungykim seungykim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canyon Country, CA (just north of LA)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have both.
The MZ4 Coupe is the mistress you have on the side when you need to have your brain f**ked out.
Haha, a good analogy, or I guess it is?
__________________
2008 328i coupe
Premium
Sport
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 PM
fitchesbass fitchesbass is offline
Registered User
Location: Arlington, VA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: Z4M, project p-cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have both.

The only thing I will say, is the MZ4 Coupe is only truly happy at the track or being driven like it's meant to be driven. Otherwise, it'll disguise itself as sedate, daily driver, but it's never going to be happy. So, if you care about the car more than you care about your needs...I wouldn't do it.

The E92 is a superb ALL AROUND CAR. The 328i does everything we ask it to...From family trips to Vegas for a whole week, to hauling little Ms. Hack to see grandpa and grandma, to driving to the bus station everyday for my wife, to some weekend jaunts to the local mountain roads...It's fun enough, it's practical enough, and gosh darn it, we like it (apologies to Senator Al Franken). The MZ4 Coupe is never going to come close to matching its practicality and all around good-ness.

But it's not great. It doesn't elicit the sort of visceral response, the sheer adrenaline rush, and the absolute love/hate relationship you have with it on the track (love the way it handles better than any BMW I've ever driven with [insert name of fancy coil-over here] bone freakin' stock, hate the way it moves the limit so freakin' high that once you exceed it, you're in a WORLD OF HURT) with the MZ4 Coupe. I equate it to my little mistress. The E92 328i is the girl you marry. The MZ4 Coupe is the mistress you have on the side when you need to have your brain f**ked out.
Well put Hack - you are certainly one of the most knowledgeable guys around on these cars so I won't discredit your opinion - but I do however disagree to a certain extent with the first paragraph.

Z4M is fine as a daily driver. I daily drive mine nearly every day in and around DC traffic and it never feels unhappy. Although I will admit it is most fun (and happy, if a car can have feelings) at events (DE's and autoxs), but in traffic and cruising on the highway I am completely comfortable and it moves along quite nicely just humming along. But for me that is the best thing about it... for a young guy like myself I wanted a reliable car to replace my old modded E36 M3 for daily driving during the week and events on the weekends. This car fits the bill to a T

As for practically, my car fits nearly everything I ever need it to. I pack for an entire camping trip in my car and it carried everything and my passenger perfectly fine for a 6 hour trip.

End of the day it's still a car. I wouldn't not buy it because daily driving is considered abusive a "nice" car. You only live once, mine as well enjoy it in a fun car.

Picture from my trip the other week:

(and there is still a lot of room with two bags, a backpack and my 6 string. The trunk also fits golf bags and clubs just fine.)
__________________
Daily

Last edited by fitchesbass; 09-21-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,362
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post

(and there is still along of room with two bags, a backpack and my 6 string. The trunk also fits golf bags and clubs just fine.)
Dude, you need a case for that guitar - jeeze, the strings are coming off
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-21-2009, 09:45 PM
fitchesbass fitchesbass is offline
Registered User
Location: Arlington, VA
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: Z4M, project p-cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
Dude, you need a case for that guitar - jeeze, the strings are coming off
I have many guitars - electric and acoustic, 4, 6 and 12 strings. This one in particular I have owned for many years and is my "beater" camp fire guitar. I have a few hardshell cases but unfortunately due to their bulk and rigidity they don't fit in the trunk. I normally use my softshell instead, but for whatever reason opted not to this time.

Anyway, I don't always cut the leads on the tuning posts and in this particular picture was after I had just broken a string after playing the nice before and it is still hanging on there.

No worries - I've been playing for going on 10+ years so im not new to guitars
__________________
Daily

Last edited by fitchesbass; 09-21-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-21-2009, 10:31 PM
jslstrat jslstrat is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: BMW Z4 M coupe
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I have both.

The only thing I will say, is the MZ4 Coupe is only truly happy at the track or being driven like it's meant to be driven. Otherwise, it'll disguise itself as sedate, daily driver, but it's never going to be happy. So, if you care about the car more than you care about your needs...I wouldn't do it.

The E92 is a superb ALL AROUND CAR. The 328i does everything we ask it to...From family trips to Vegas for a whole week, to hauling little Ms. Hack to see grandpa and grandma, to driving to the bus station everyday for my wife, to some weekend jaunts to the local mountain roads...It's fun enough, it's practical enough, and gosh darn it, we like it (apologies to Senator Al Franken). The MZ4 Coupe is never going to come close to matching its practicality and all around good-ness.

But it's not great. It doesn't elicit the sort of visceral response, the sheer adrenaline rush, and the absolute love/hate relationship you have with it on the track (love the way it handles better than any BMW I've ever driven with [insert name of fancy coil-over here] bone freakin' stock, hate the way it moves the limit so freakin' high that once you exceed it, you're in a WORLD OF HURT) with the MZ4 Coupe. I equate it to my little mistress. The E92 328i is the girl you marry. The MZ4 Coupe is the mistress you have on the side when you need to have your brain f**ked out.
Yes Yes and Yes! My Z4 M coupe wants to go fast!!! It really wants to be driven! I do have to say that it is always nice to have extra power to get out of bad situations! If I am in a situation around bad drivers or trucks swerving on the highway. It really is nice to have power that will get you out of an area in a few seconds!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
EdCT's Avatar
EdCT EdCT is offline
zeddy
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,362
Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
I have many guitars - electric and acoustic, 4, 6 and 12 strings. This one in particular I have owned for many years and is my "beater" camp fire guitar. I have a few hardshell cases but unfortunately due to their bulk and rigidity they don't fit in the trunk. I normally use my softshell instead, but for whatever reason opted not to this time.

Anyway, I don't always cut the leads on the tuning posts and in this particular picture was after I had just broken a string after playing the nice before and it is still hanging on there.

No worries - I've been playing for going on 10+ years so im not new to guitars
Just giving you crap

I too have a few guitars - when I travel with my old Yamaha acoustic (my beater guitar) I usually just throw it in a soft shell case.

You have to play rhythm pretty hard to break strings on an acoustic though
__________________

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Caddyshk Caddyshk is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 868
Mein Auto: 2006 Z4MC #LL93158
Quote:
Originally Posted by seungykim View Post
All

I currently own a 2008 328i.
I have always wished a bit more engaging car like Z4 M, however: A bit more power and handling.

Since the Z4 M's price has come down quite a bit, I wonder if I should consider it.

However, the biggest problem is how it stacks up against my car, especially as a daily driver, practicality, gas mileage, etc.

Since you all are very knowledgeable of your car, especially Z4 M, could you some feedback to my somewhat crazy idea?

here's a car I am looking at.
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

thank you
Practicality is not a term I've seen associated with our cars? My Golf Clubs, shoes and balls fit - so yes - it is practical. Gets to most courses in a hurry too!
__________________
2006 Z4 M Coupe
2006 Z4MC - #LL93158
- SuperSprint Race - OE STB - Dave Z Modified CDV - Ground Control Coil Overs - Stoptech lines - Stoptech Pads - RE Clutch Stop - RE Transmission Mounts - LeatherZ M Shift Boot - ZHP Shift Knob
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-22-2009, 01:19 PM
seungykim seungykim is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canyon Country, CA (just north of LA)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 191
Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe manual
The more I hear from you all that Z4 MC is practical, the more agony I need to bear, because my wife is so strongly against the idea that I change my car anytime soon.

I really should have pulled the trigger when the 2007 cars were having that great BMW incentive. I really missed the opportunity.

oh well, for now, I will just be happy with what I have. Thank you all for the great inputs and replies.!!!
__________________
2008 328i coupe
Premium
Sport
Navigation
iPod/USB
Park Distance
Logic 7
CDV Mod
ZHP Shifter
Short Throw Shifter
M3 Sway bars
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM
kostverloren's Avatar
kostverloren kostverloren is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 440
Mein Auto: DINAN Z3 3.0,535i,MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitchesbass View Post
Z4M is going to feel like a totally different animal in handling, power, feel etc.

Main things to think about - gas mileage will probably be not as good - but to me it's not terrible. Then again, this isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I daily drive my car 40k miles a day and do events with it on the weekends and it has served dual purpose for me very well.
Cabin room is a not on the high side in the z4M coupe which is probably another big difference. Perfect for guy my size, 6'1, 185 - but my father is a bit taller and larger than me and he is cramped. Also view out the rear of the car is difficult sometimes - I drive in DC, 4 lane traffic and it takes an alert driver to stay out of trouble and away from the crazies. Those are the negatives I suppose but for me they are not big deals. The positives are obviously, handling, power, brakes, fun....

Best advice is go test drive one yourself. I am a young, single (most the time ) guy that lives in DC area uses metro on the weekends to meet up with friends and the car to drive to work during the week....so the car fits me perfectly right now.
Holy $heeit!!!!
__________________
'02 Z3 3.0,'11 535xi,MINI
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms