Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:11 AM
z4510 z4510 is offline
Z4 5.1.0
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Pre.Pkg.
Exclamation 2005 Z4 2.5i Air Vent trick??

Hey guys, okay, I've tried to live without being able to listen to my iPod long enough haha.
Can someone please give me a link exactly how to connect an AUX cable to the back of my stock premium package radio? I really am wanting to do this. How much would I have to pay to have one installed in my car for me? Is it worth it, or is the "air vent" trick a better deal? Any differences in sound quality?

Thanks guys, preciate it.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Reptor Reptor is offline
Registered User
Location: Arvada Colorado
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
Have you looked into iPod adapters?
They connect to the iPod plug which I think is the best connection and they keep your iPod charged. I put a USA spec in my Z4 and it sounds great and uses the radio controls.
If you are interested, I have a brand new "spare" USA spec adapter for non DSP radios for sale.
__________________
Z4 3.0I Sterling Gray Metallic/Dream Red
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
Use a couple screw drivers or something to pull down the tabs in the vent, then wiggle it out.

Get the ashtray aux cable, or the plain one and put it in the panel under the vents.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 PM
z4510 z4510 is offline
Z4 5.1.0
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Pre.Pkg.
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
Use a couple screw drivers or something to pull down the tabs in the vent, then wiggle it out.

Get the ashtray aux cable, or the plain one and put it in the panel under the vents.
What do you mean the ashtray aux cable? Cause as I have noticed, when I pull out the aux cable, there is what seems to be a headphone looking type of hole/input on the right side. Is this an aux cable? Also, I dont quite understand what you mean by pull out the vents. Which Vents? Where is this secret AUX cable input? Im going nuts only being able to the overplayed music of Californian radio. 0.o

Please help me! A link to instructions as to where this aux cable input is in the vents or whatever would be AMAZING! Im almost about to go pay 150$ to go get one put in...?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2011, 11:13 PM
z4510 z4510 is offline
Z4 5.1.0
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Pre.Pkg.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptor View Post
Have you looked into iPod adapters?
They connect to the iPod plug which I think is the best connection and they keep your iPod charged. I put a USA spec in my Z4 and it sounds great and uses the radio controls.
If you are interested, I have a brand new "spare" USA spec adapter for non DSP radios for sale.
What type of iPod adapters are we talking about here? I have a FM Transmitter type one, built in dock, and aux cable (for the FM to work from it) but there isn't a clean channel in the world ive been able to find except for once I was actually able to play half a song of mine. Got my hopes up, but those crashed and burned pretty darn quick.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Reptor Reptor is offline
Registered User
Location: Arvada Colorado
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
ipod adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4510 View Post
What type of iPod adapters are we talking about here? I have a FM Transmitter type one, built in dock, and aux cable (for the FM to work from it) but there isn't a clean channel in the world ive been able to find except for once I was actually able to play half a song of mine. Got my hopes up, but those crashed and burned pretty darn quick.
Here's the link to the one I bought.
http://www.usaspec.com/
The one I'm selling is the PA12-BMW
The adapter makes the radio think the iPod is a CD changer.
The system consists of a control box and 2 cables. One cable connects the box to the CD cable in the car. The other cable has a locking iPod connector.
You can set it up to operate two ways. Play lists that are controlled 100% from the radio display (iPod display locked) or Direct mode, which you still have some control at the radio and some at the iPod display. This unit also charges the iPod.
__________________
Z4 3.0I Sterling Gray Metallic/Dream Red
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Psygnosis Psygnosis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4510 View Post
What do you mean the ashtray aux cable? Cause as I have noticed, when I pull out the aux cable, there is what seems to be a headphone looking type of hole/input on the right side. Is this an aux cable? Also, I dont quite understand what you mean by pull out the vents. Which Vents? Where is this secret AUX cable input? Im going nuts only being able to the overplayed music of Californian radio. 0.o

Please help me! A link to instructions as to where this aux cable input is in the vents or whatever would be AMAZING! Im almost about to go pay 150$ to go get one put in...?
huh? What exactly do you need? Do you have the AUX cable already? Do you want to add AUX input to your radio? When you press mode is AUX an option?

The AUX cable plugs into the back of the radio and to get at it you need to remove the vents, which is what I thought you were asking about. The official AUX cable kit for the Z4 comes with the end of the AUX able in a new ashtray. Another popular option is to put the AUX jack in the removable panel under the climate controls where it comes stock on 2007+ cars.

The AUX input looks like a headphone jack, you plug your music device into it and when you press the mode button on the radio you get sound from your iPodPhone playing over your car speakers when the radio says AUX.

Last edited by Psygnosis; 07-23-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM
LauraM's Avatar
LauraM LauraM is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dacula, GA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 115
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 2.5i
I just did this - see http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=551186 . It works great except for getting my iPhone mount to stick to the dash.

I found detailed instructions on here from Ron at http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=16 for removing the air vents although mine were a b!tch to get out.

Plugging in the aux cable to the back of the radio was easy and came with my ashtray insert.
__________________
Laura

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive in a pretty, well-preserved body. Rather you should skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proclaiming loudly, "Wow, what a ride!"" Unknown
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
air, aux, cable, trick, vent


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms