Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: x6, 5 series, 7 series
Exclamation "engine malfunction; power reduced"

hy guys...need some help....
this message comes up...: "engine malfunction; power reduced""? why is that?
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2008, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellamihaila View Post
Sorry, but mi english is very bad

Ist posible malfuncion in one component, sonda lamba, compresor, or in inyection, also a times, if you disconect the battery solve this problem, and a time in hours of stop engine already work..., but if you receive this indicatión other time, remember the garanty

Happy Christmas
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 35i
It may be a faulty fuel pump or misfire in one of the cylinders. If you have the TT 6 cylinder, there have been numerous fuel pump issues with that engine in the 3-series (E9x). I've had this error message, and the dealer diagnosed it as a misfire in one of the cylinders. It went away after a few minutes, and has happened twice in the last year. No action was taken, and it's been fine for quite a while. If you take it to the dealer, the code will be stored so they can diagnose what happened.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bigbadbull Send a message via MSN to Bigbadbull Send a message via Yahoo to Bigbadbull
Mein Auto: 530iXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmats View Post
It may be a faulty fuel pump or misfire in one of the cylinders. If you have the TT 6 cylinder, there have been numerous fuel pump issues with that engine in the 3-series (E9x). I've had this error message, and the dealer diagnosed it as a misfire in one of the cylinders. It went away after a few minutes, and has happened twice in the last year. No action was taken, and it's been fine for quite a while. If you take it to the dealer, the code will be stored so they can diagnose what happened.
Any N54 could have HPFP issues ....
1,3,5,x6,f01 7....

if you have the TT6 I'm betting on this.
Old 09-03-2009, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: X6
My X6 has been in shop nearly 2 weeks with this problem. They are currently working to resolve this problem and I will update you when I get the car back.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X6 iDrive 3.5
Did you Engine light come on? If it did then that is the Faulty fuel pump issue that these vehicles are plagued with. The dealer immediately replaced it and no issues. My X6 also had a hard time starting and would crank for a few seconds and then fire. Near the end it would not turn over. Then it finally did and the engine light came on.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:16 AM

hi, i have never been on a forum other than reading so i decided to register because i see that other ppl seem to have the same problem tho every other x6 i see parked with their owners i speak too...maybe they are just lucky... I loveeeee this car however... i had the crank issue where it wouldnt turnover at 4,000 so went to dealer and as all of you seem to have experienced they replaced the HP pump. They told me it was common bc of the turbo ... ok no problem... i have 7,400 now (car is 3mths old brand new)and just took it back again for same issue ... again they replaced the HP pump... no big had a sweeetttt loaner lol but on way home today which dealer is 40 min away it was fine... go thru a toll and to speed up stepped on the gas....beepp beeppp engine malfunction reduced power.. never had that prob but this is ridic what have you alll done or what is issue ... car wont pick up at alll... its like my ollddddd civic from years ago hahha
Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2009 650i
unbelievable really!!! is the X6 no good?
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM

Send a message via AIM to Bigbadbull Send a message via MSN to Bigbadbull Send a message via Yahoo to Bigbadbull
Mein Auto: 530iXT
No it's just the N54 motor... not the x6.

I just don't want to go down this path any more, search HPFP, N54, and High presure Fuel pump failure...

You will get a boat load of hits....

Last edited by Bigbadbull; 10-09-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM

Had a similar issue a few weeks back with my X6 in the shop for a total of 3 weeks over 2 visits. In my case it seems as if the waste gate valve on one of the turbos was broken along with some tubing issue. What's funny is that the parts had to come in from Germany while the vehicle is made down south someplace.

I like the vehicle but between engine being raspy in cold weather (need to drive like an hour for it to smooth out) and repeated visits to the dealership...
Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Silentelysium
Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Does anyone know if the HPFP issue happens with the V8 model?

Old 12-26-2009, 06:20 PM
BAK

Mein Auto: 2009 X6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentelysium View Post
Does anyone know if the HPFP issue happens with the V8 model?
No, it is a known problem with the N54 Motor
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to Silentelysium
Mein Auto: 2008 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkosaian View Post
No, it is a known problem with the N54 Motor
Thank goodness. Thats the last thing our car needs... So it's relative the only the N54 engine, and the v8 uses a different system and/or fuel pump?

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentelysium View Post
Thank goodness. Thats the last thing our car needs... So it's relative the only the N54 engine, and the v8 uses a different system and/or fuel pump?
Well if you have the X6 xDrive50i it has the N63 V8 engine. That engine is a twin turbo with direct fuel injection just like the N54 engine.

Not sure if it uses the same High Presure Fuel Pump as the N54 but it is a Direct Injection Fuel System.

This engine was released in 2008 so this would probably be about the time any problems would start to surface.

ellamihaila and Reopropf If the fuel pump does need replacing could you check to see what the part number is. The replacement fuel pumps on the N54 engine is a part number ending in 881

They also have a newer replacement fuel pump to be introduced later this year part number ending in 943

Another problem with the N54 engine has been the injectors needing replacment.

Please let everyone know the results of your repair service.

Last edited by Norm37; 01-03-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
I will shell out the extra $$ for the xDrive50i so I won't have to worry about it. I'm totally into the X6 and plan on getting it in time for the Face lift.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
I will shell out the extra $$ for the xDrive50i so I won't have to worry about it. I'm totally into the X6 and plan on getting it in time for the Face lift.
I have X6 50 and my water pump was broken 3 weeks after i bought it... since then i had check engine light, oil sensor malfunction, temperature sensor malfunction, "battery increased discharge" warning....
Seems to me i live at the dealership. Although no complains about service, it's impeccable. But i would rather not see them at all instead of talking to nice guys every month
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM

Mein Auto: X6 50i
50 doesn't avoid this problem apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
Car started shaking violently after starting - engine malfunction reduced power on my HUD. Wouldn't start two succesive tries. 20 minutes later I was able to get her started but with the engine warning light on. Guy from service just called - part's on backorder from Germany (fuel injector or pump, couldn't quite understand him over the phone). Love this car - hate the problems. 4200 mi and have been in the shop 4 times.

NEVER had issues with my 325xi or X5. bummer bimmer.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:51 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
Some good news, as I understand it, is that the N55 engine will go into the X6. Hopefully no "N54 Blues".
Old 05-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Exclamation Engine Malfunction Reduced Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepel View Post
hi, i have never been on a forum other than reading so i decided to register because i see that other ppl seem to have the same problem tho every other x6 i see parked with their owners i speak too...maybe they are just lucky... I loveeeee this car however... i had the crank issue where it wouldnt turnover at 4,000 so went to dealer and as all of you seem to have experienced they replaced the HP pump. They told me it was common bc of the turbo ... ok no problem... i have 7,400 now (car is 3mths old brand new)and just took it back again for same issue ... again they replaced the HP pump... no big had a sweeetttt loaner lol but on way home today which dealer is 40 min away it was fine... go thru a toll and to speed up stepped on the gas....beepp beeppp engine malfunction reduced power.. never had that prob but this is ridic what have you alll done or what is issue ... car wont pick up at alll... its like my ollddddd civic from years ago hahha
I am experiencing the same with my six months old X6.xdrive3.5. I bought the car for its performance but really disappointed with this malfunction. This power reduction nearly put me on a head on collusion when overtaking on a single carriageway. What is BMW take on this? Is the X6 a Lemon Car?
Percy
Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoken View Post
Car started shaking violently after starting - engine malfunction reduced power on my HUD. Wouldn't start two succesive tries. 20 minutes later I was able to get her started but with the engine warning light on. Guy from service just called - part's on backorder from Germany (fuel injector or pump, couldn't quite understand him over the phone). Love this car - hate the problems. 4200 mi and have been in the shop 4 times.

NEVER had issues with my 325xi or X5. bummer bimmer.
How does the warranty kick in with these faults. Does it call for replacement of car?
Old 06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M5
Taking it to the dealer would be the best thing to do.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellamihaila View Post
i have the same problems , going to sell the car before i get more problems with it, have the same with my 745i thats going also Bmw dont seem to living up to their expectations