Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 535i
!989 535i doors locked....Help???

Mechanic said the car was ready to go after he finished working on the instrument cluster. He left it out on the street after he closed his shop so I could pick it up.

All the doors are locked and none will open with the key. I can only open the trunk.

Is there a trick to open the driver's door? Please help.

Thanx in advance
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 318 is coupe
Ive had the same problem--and im sure on this site the answer lurks , but, if you go to bmw34.net and look under troubleshooting. You will find the answer.

Have you tried your key on the passenger door? Hold the handle up while you turn key.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:02 AM
Wrenchin' guy

Mein Auto: 92 525i
locked out.....

Ya ya ya ya,, I know this one........

found it in the Bently manual (doors / security etc) when it happened to me.... an I got a 92. 525.

something about the passenger side like the man says,, apparently when mechanic locked it it went to the "second-stage" lock... wierd I know..

But I believe thats correct, pass side while holding the handle up.

cpnwrench
Old 05-08-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: E34 530
Locked E34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena View Post
Mechanic said the car was ready to go after he finished working on the instrument cluster. He left it out on the street after he closed his shop so I could pick it up.

All the doors are locked and none will open with the key. I can only open the trunk.

Thanx in advance
I know this advice is late; however ...

Turn key anti-clockwise and life the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod, squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...

Daniel Boon (OZ)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nena View Post

Thanx in advance

Turn key anti-clockwise and lift the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod tapered to about 3mm (round or square); squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Turn key anti-clockwise and lift the handle, try separate combinations until you fee resistance on the key and or handle ... and drivers door should unlock, even if (car) battery is flat.

If all else fails, you will need a long thin rod tapered to about 3mm (round or square); squat in front of the car where the kidney grill is an gently push the rod - between the bonnet and the panel immediately below it (its a tight fit) guiding it into the bonnet release catch, this will allow you to open the bonnet and put some charge into the car by placing the positive (red) cable clamp on the silver pole (with a dimple in it) and earth the other clamp and then fix to another battery preferable in a running car ... then your locking system will work ...
Old 05-09-2013, 06:12 AM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: !989 535i doors locked....Help???

Wow this is the thread that led me to the fest when i had this problem a month later(jan 09)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmnmsclM540i View Post
Wow this is the thread that led me to the fest when i had this problem a month later(jan 09)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Ah .... good times eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 535i E34
emergency closing or opening

refer to attached file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf emergency closing or opening.pdf (160.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: !989 535i doors locked....Help???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Ah .... good times eh?
Well definitely strange to see again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Nothin like an E34

Mein Auto: 95 540i B/B
What is second stage lock?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-540sport View Post
What is second stage lock?
It double locks the doors so that the lock tab cannot be pulled up by thieves who break a window.