Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)

E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series E60 Sedan was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E61 wagon followed shortly there after. The E60/E61 5 series is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 04-24-2017, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: 06 525xi
E60 Subwoofer

So I looked at a forum about using a Line out converter to get RCA to the amp for subs. Everything went good and the subs in my trunk sound okay but the underseat subwoofers don't work anymore on either side. What could have gone wrong? I didn't slice the wires I took off the insulation to splice them
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2017, 04:02 PM
:D

Mein Auto: 2007 550i (SMG)
are you sure u spliced the correct wires?

Im assuming u have logic7:

pac = loc
wire 1/2 right channel
wire 3/4 left channel

Wire 1- (red/blue) will go with the gray wire from pac.
Wire 2- (brown/white) will go with the gray/black wire from pac.
those are the right sub wires.

Wire 3- (red/white) will go with the white wire from pac.
Wire 4- (brown/yellow) will go with the white/black from pac.
those are the left sub wires.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...05#post1469405

sometimes i do not notice the subs under the seat because of my sub in the trunk, but on some songs where there is a hard kick in it and not a boom, i feel it....
2004 BMW 530i (Prod: 7/2004)
2001 BMW 525i (Prod: 10/2000)

"Call it what you want, it's a BMW"

Last edited by eburnz; 04-24-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eburnz View Post
are you sure u spliced the correct wires?

Im assuming u have logic7:

pac = loc
wire 1/2 right channel
wire 3/4 left channel

Wire 1- (red/blue) will go with the gray wire from pac.
Wire 2- (brown/white) will go with the gray/black wire from pac.
those are the right sub wires.

Wire 3- (red/white) will go with the white wire from pac.
Wire 4- (brown/yellow) will go with the white/black from pac.
those are the left sub wires.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...05#post1469405

sometimes i do not notice the subs under the seat because of my sub in the trunk, but on some songs where there is a hard kick in it and not a boom, i feel it....

I actually have a standard Hi-Fi not the logic 7. My stock amp is the Harmon Becker. The wiring I used was from this post
Left +(Black/Red) went on the White wire on the loc
Left - (Black/Violet) went on the White/Black wire
Right +(Black/White) went on Gray wire
Right - (Black/Brown) went on Gray/Black wire.

That's the setup I have. Yeah, you're right can't really notice but it still annoys me knowing that they don't work.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:33 PM

hmm maybe someone else can chip in, because I do want to make my subs under the seat a little louder

Old 04-25-2017, 05:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi Wagon
I originally installed a subwoofer in addition to the factory ones in my hi-fi system and everything worked fine but got tired of losing cargo room. Then I decided to rid of the external subwoofer and just amplify the factory subs under the seat, which meant to cut the wires and plug the subs directly to the external amplifier. Unfortunately, the pictures that I took don't show all the colors of the cables, here's one. I do remember finding the diagram in a forum, I'll look for it at home tonight...but there's a way and it works very well. I've been very satisfied with just amplifying the factory subs, they're enough if you don't have any ambitions of rocking the neighborhood ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140930_171531.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	595181  

2010 535iX Wagon, Space Grey
15mm rear spacers + TSW Chicane wheels
Retro style turn signals (E39)
ECS Cross-drilled rotors
AFE TBS
Dual cone air filters plus home made scoop
MHD Stage 1 map
Old 04-25-2017, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocholin View Post
I originally installed a subwoofer in addition to the factory ones in my hi-fi system and everything worked fine but got tired of losing cargo room. Then I decided to rid of the external subwoofer and just amplify the factory subs under the seat, which meant to cut the wires and plug the subs directly to the external amplifier. Unfortunately, the pictures that I took don't show all the colors of the cables, here's one. I do remember finding the diagram in a forum, I'll look for it at home tonight...but there's a way and it works very well. I've been very satisfied with just amplifying the factory subs, they're enough if you don't have any ambitions of rocking the neighborhood ;-)
did you completely cut the wires or just spliced them? picture shows a splice... also i see you aren't using an loc

im wondering since both the subs wires are going to two different amplifiers, and a loc this makes the sub low at volume ? what if we dont use an loc, would this make the subs under the seat louder ?

Last edited by eburnz; 04-25-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
did you completely cut the wires or just spliced them? picture shows a splice... also i see you aren't using an loc

im wondering since both the subs wires are going to two different amplifiers, and a loc this makes the sub low at volume ? what if we dont use an loc, would this make the subs under the seat louder ?
Yes, I am using an LOC, and I originally (in that picture) spliced the wires (so I had 3 subs working). More recently, I cut the wires and amplified the factory subs directly from my aftermarket amp.

ECS Cross-drilled rotors
AFE TBS
MHD Stage 1 map
Old 04-26-2017, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
hmm maybe someone else can chip in, because I do want to make my subs under the seat a little louder
Just add an amp and bump up all the interior speakers . I added a 300 w and the whole system has a nice balance , and the woofer won't drown out the mids and highs ... But the reality is that the under seat woofers at best are mids . And that's how mine are wired when I added a wooder enclosure ..

Last edited by H F; 04-26-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Just add an amp and bump up all the interior speakers . I added a 300 w and the whole system has a nice balance , and the woofer won't drown out the mids and highs ... But the reality is that the under seat woofers at best are mids . And that's how mine are wired when I added a wooder enclosure ..
Quote:
Yes, I am using an LOC, and I originally (in that picture) spliced the wires (so I had 3 subs working). More recently, I cut the wires and amplified the factory subs directly from my aftermarket amp.
oh ok gotcha, so all i have to do is just snip the wires from my logic7 amp and just keep them connected to my loc...

Old 04-26-2017, 06:07 PM

But any reason why my front underseat subs went out after splicing into the wires and adding my sub? I felt the stock amp still getting warm after a while so it does seem like it works. Did my splicing blow the subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZain View Post
But any reason why my front underseat subs went out after splicing into the wires and adding my sub? I felt the stock amp still getting warm after a while so it does seem like it works. Did my splicing blow the subs?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
I'm thinking your splicing cut the wires and it isn't doing contact at some point

ECS Cross-drilled rotors
AFE TBS
MHD Stage 1 map
Old 04-26-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking your splicing cut the wires and it isn't doing contact at some point

I'll triple check my work but I doubt I accidentally cut all four of the wires at some point. If I did then my subs wouldn't work right?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 04-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingZain View Post
I'll triple check my work but I doubt I accidentally cut all four of the wires at some point. If I did then my subs wouldn't work right?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
i believe you're aren't hearing any sound from the subs because you have two amps connected to the subs, the above fix is to completely cut the front subs from your oem amp and connect them directly to your loc to your after market amp.... im guessing it interferes with each other and u cant hear them as much.

haven't done this yet to confirm, but i've ran out of solutions to why we cant hear them...

Old 04-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
i believe you're aren't hearing any sound from the subs because you have two amps connected to the subs, the above fix is to completely cut the front subs from your oem amp and connect them directly to your loc to your after market amp.... im guessing it interferes with each other and u cant hear them as much.

haven't done this yet to confirm, but i've ran out of solutions to why we cant hear them...
Hmmm , I'm not too sure about that . Because I'm running ,if you include the factory amp , a total of 3 amps two locs . Combined with an additional Eq ,, it all works in perfect harmony ..

Last edited by H F; 04-27-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H F View Post
Hmmm , I'm not too sure about that . Because I'm running ,if you include the factory amp , a total of 3 amps two locs . Combined with an additional Eq ,, it all works in perfect harmony ..
no im saying as if you didn't completely cut the sub wires from the factory amp.... if you did completyly cut them from the factory amp and directly connected them to your locs you will hear the subs as you do now..

right now I have mine just spliced with my loc wires connected to it and I think the other guy has it setup the same way as well and we cant hear our subs... our subs are getting a connection from both amps and i think that's causing interference for them to play. correct me if im wrong...

Old 04-27-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
no im saying as if you didn't completely cut the sub wires from the factory amp.... if you did completyly cut them from the factory amp and directly connected them to your locs you will hear the subs as you do now..

right now I have mine just spliced with my loc wires connected to it and I think the other guy has it setup the same way as well and we cant hear our subs... our subs are getting a connection from both amps and i think that's causing interference for them to play. correct me if im wrong...
Hmm , I have a total different set up because I'm running a separate 300/5c amp and have my under seat woofers wired as mids , connected in conjunction with the factory amp (nothing is cut off from the factory amp ). And a 500 1/c amp for my enclosure . So I'm not sure having a splice is causing you that problem ..

I wish I still had pics cause it's been many years since I installed my set up and having a tuff time remembering how it's all hooked up .. I ruined my phone they were on and accidentally had my phone in my board shorts scuba diving and lost hundreds of pictures .
Old 04-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi
Is it possible you mixed up polarity?

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
subs, subwoofer install, underseat subs

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 / E61 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search