Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
topspin627 topspin627 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: nEW yORK
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: 330i
550i sport review after 1200 miles

So thanks to everyone on this forum, I picked up my 550 i sport about one month ago and have since logged 1200 miles. I think I am now in good position to give an accurate review.
I have the Carbon Black and bought it sight unseen (except for a very dirty used m3 that was on the lot). I love the color. Blue under light and almost black at dark. Very cool and I like that it's exclusive.

Comfort seats- among the best I've had. Extremely comfortable and very supportive- A+

Logic 7 B+- Excellent system. May be a bit behind the Mark Levinson I had on my LS430 in that at low volumes it's not as full sounding. High Def radio is great especially if you listen to talk radio. FM is amazing as well but as has been reported elsewhere, coverage is a bit spotty sometimes so it can cut in and out. But for listening to a ball game or Sports talk it's great. I listen to most of my music on Sat radio or I Pod.

I drive- I like it. With voice command and shortcuts it's easy. Blue tooth and voice commands are an A+. Much better than on my Lexus. I love that I can actually access my phone book while the car is moving. Also, it updates my phone book every time I turn on the car. That's really great. And I can work the nav while driving. Hit one button to locate restaurants in the area- a very good feature. Lexus had a lock out while moving on Nav and phone.

I Pod connection is very cool A+. I could drive coast to coast no problem

Heated steering wheel- A++ my first experience with this option. I love it.
HUD same as above. I will have a hard time not having this in the future.

Sport Auto Transmission A++ The best. This thing shifts like butter and has a great sound. Lightening fast shifts that are smooth. Power where ever you want and need it.

Mileage-B+ I was worried about this for the sake of the enviorment but I'm averaging about 20mpg with mixed driving in the heavily congested NY area. On a straight highway run I get about 26. This is just a bit less than the LS430 I had but the performance is night and day.

Sport package-A++ The absolute best blend of sport and luxury of any car I've had (MB, Infiniti, BMW 3, BMW X5, Lexus etc). Do not, I repeat, Do not miss out on the ARS. It's amazing to take an off ramp at 50-60 with no body lean.

Breaks are phenomenal as one would expect from BMW A++

Steering wheel-A++ The sport wheel feels great. Perfect.
Steering- A++ I did not get the Active steering as to me it felt a bit artificial. I love the standard BMW steering. Others may have different opinions.

Speed- The car is really quick. 60 comes up in a flash and the car feels like it wants to do 90 as its loafing speed.

Negatives- Not many- but here are some areas of suggested improvement.
For this level of price a backup camera should be standard. I miss mine.
How about a light in the center console so that it's a bit easier to plug in the IPod adaptor or a flash drive.
I didn't get the comfort access and I don't really miss it but I must point out that in my Miata it's included in the premium package and that's a 25K car.

That's it. Sorry to gush. But it's the best car I've every had.(and I've had quite a few)

For twice the price I don't think you can get a better ride (I didn't want an M5-too raw for everyday driving and I would feel guilty at 10 mpg.) BMW is riding high for a reason, they make the best blend of sport and luxury in the market and if you love to drive, this is your ride.
I don't think I will grow tired of this one for quite a while. At least until the lease is up in 3 years and there's a new 500 hp 555 or whatever!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM
GregE GregE is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bethlehem, PA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 2008 650i coupe
Great review. Funny your comment about comfort access and the Miata as I have an 06 Miata and thought the same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-12-2007, 03:54 PM
mclaren's Avatar
mclaren mclaren is offline
Chairman of the Bored
Location: Central Florida
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,066
Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Topspin, thanks for the review. I was wondering how the 550i compared to the Lexus LS430.
__________________

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM
civic34 civic34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Great review!! Enjoy your new car...
__________________
2007 550i - Alpine White/Black
2006 Denali XL - Silver Birch Metallic/Stone Gray
2005 Ram 1500 - Bright Silver/Slate Gray
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-12-2007, 06:50 PM
x26's Avatar
x26 x26 is offline
*** Team America ***
Location: "Kingdom of Heaven"
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 183
Mein Auto: 335i
Thumbs up

Enjoyed the Review!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-12-2007, 08:24 PM
poleposition's Avatar
poleposition poleposition is offline
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: looks better than yours!
nice
__________________
2013 M5
21" DPE Super Concave, Meisterschaft GTC w/LXR midpipes, BMC Filters, Charcoal delete, H&R Springs, IND cosmetic pkg, M-Performance spoiler, Wrapped Roof, Hardwired V1, Coded
2013 X6 50i Msport
2008 Smart
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:50 AM
SpartanGA SpartanGA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ATL
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 396
Mein Auto: 2007 550i, 2011 335i Vert
Very nice and great review as I would expect from that car.

re: Comfort Access, I also notice that option goes up in price from 3-series to 5-series.

I told the dealer I called it Lazy Access. It would be nice, but not $1000 nice IMHO.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 AM
civic34 civic34 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ohio
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 364
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonga View Post
Very nice and great review as I would expect from that car.

re: Comfort Access, I also notice that option goes up in price from 3-series to 5-series.

I told the dealer I called it Lazy Access. It would be nice, but not $1000 nice IMHO.
I agree, I didnt pay the premium for it...but anyone I know that has it, has said they couldnt go without it.
__________________
2007 550i - Alpine White/Black
2006 Denali XL - Silver Birch Metallic/Stone Gray
2005 Ram 1500 - Bright Silver/Slate Gray
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:12 AM
topspin627 topspin627 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: nEW yORK
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 140
Mein Auto: 330i
comfort access

I made the conscious decision to pass on it because of the price. I couldn't justify the 15 per month on the lease just not to have to put the key in slot or push the button on the key. I, too, didn't want to be that lazy.

Also, I had a few experiences in the past where I would valet park and walk away with the key in my pocket and another when I started to drive away from the parking garage, I realized that the attendant still had the key.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM
hamadani hamadani is offline
Registered User
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2009 E92 335i
Great review. Thanks.
__________________
_______________________________________________



2009, 335i | ZMP | ZPP | Prem Sound | NAV | CA |

Retired
E60 550i
E36 325i

Last edited by hamadani; 12-13-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 PM
igord igord is offline
Registered User
Location: US
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 77
Mein Auto: '08 550
congratulations!! great review!

I also got mine without seeing it first (not even on a dirty m3 ), but love the color!

enjoy!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Flyjock Flyjock is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: Acura 3.5 RL
excellent review, agree with everything you said

2008 Alpine white, sport pkg, shift paddles, cold wx, NAV, logic 7, IPod, comfort access, sat radio.
ED 8/1/2008
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
midwest bmw's Avatar
midwest bmw midwest bmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 403
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Very nice review -- thanks for taking the time to share your experience!

I am very envious....I have an 08 550 ZSP in my sites for next year. Hoping I can find a cpo I can afford..

I'm getting more and more intrigued by sport auto..I have a chance to drive one and can't wait to test it out..
__________________
Current Ride:
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-22-2008, 05:14 PM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Very nice review, enjoy the car.

I agree with the comfort access, I didn't get it and couldn't justify the additional $15 on my lease. My wife had it in her G35 and now on her 3 series she doesn't have it and actually she doesn't even miss it.
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-23-2008, 09:24 AM
TriBeCa760i's Avatar
TriBeCa760i TriBeCa760i is offline
NYC Design Extraordinaire
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 760i
Thanks so much for the review. I'm pretty certain, now, that I'm trading my 760i in for a 550i. ME-OW! I can't decide between buying a used 550 to trade in for a new one next year and just waiting for a new one next year.

Also, on comfort access: I guess if you drive a nice car in a big city and you want to be able to just walk (or run) up to your car without having to look for your keys... I can see it being useful. I also keep my car in a lot right across from my apt building so I can just walk up to my back window and start the car in the winter. The first time I did it the parking guys got a little freaked out. They were about to open it up and shut it off when I walked up through gusts of freezing wind and snow.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 PM
bmrboy2008's Avatar
bmrboy2008 bmrboy2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendora, California
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,802
Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Great review. Thanks. Now I can dream about my next BMW, the 500 hp 560i or whatever it turns out to be.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 PM
SJAPoc's Avatar
SJAPoc SJAPoc is online now
Driving 'en Plein Air'
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,090
Mein Auto: 435i vert ED July 2014
Thanks for the review...
__________________
~ Stuart

F33 435i M-Sport | Mineral Grey | Oyster/Black/Estoril | 441M 18" Wheels | Driver's Assistance | Premium | MDHP | M-Sport Brakes | MPPK for added weight | MPE to round it off


ED 2014: Click here to view ED report | ED 2008: Click here to view ED report | PCD Re-Delivery: Click here for PCD Report

RETIRED: 2008 E92 335i Coupé | BMWCCA Nº. 383753
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-23-2008, 09:15 PM
BloodRedHog's Avatar
BloodRedHog BloodRedHog is offline
G o H o g s G o !
Location: Denver, Colorado
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,185
Mein Auto: 08 535i Sport/06 X5 4.8is
+1 on the rear view camera.

One question for those who test drove both the 550i and 535i -- I find the 535i's sport suspension a bit too soft. Is the M-tuned suspension on the 550i stiffer?
__________________
2008 535i l Black Sapphire l Sport l Paddles l Prem l HUD l Nav

2006 X5 4.8is l TiAg wife

2004 330i l ZHP l TiAg l Moonroof l Xenon l Alcantara I Modified CDV I RE Clutch Stop retired

1997 328is l TiAg retired
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-23-2008, 10:34 PM
TriBeCa760i's Avatar
TriBeCa760i TriBeCa760i is offline
NYC Design Extraordinaire
Location: New York City
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 760i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrboy2008 View Post
great review. Thanks. Now i can dream about my next bmw, the 500 hp 560i or whatever it turns out to be.
me-ow!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Peda330i Peda330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles/Orange County
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 134
Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by topspin627 View Post
So thanks to everyone on this forum, I picked up my 550 i sport about one month ago and have since logged 1200 miles. I think I am now in good position to give an accurate review.
I have the Carbon Black and bought it sight unseen (except for a very dirty used m3 that was on the lot). I love the color. Blue under light and almost black at dark. Very cool and I like that it's exclusive.

Comfort seats- among the best I've had. Extremely comfortable and very supportive- A+

Logic 7 B+- Excellent system. May be a bit behind the Mark Levinson I had on my LS430 in that at low volumes it's not as full sounding. High Def radio is great especially if you listen to talk radio. FM is amazing as well but as has been reported elsewhere, coverage is a bit spotty sometimes so it can cut in and out. But for listening to a ball game or Sports talk it's great. I listen to most of my music on Sat radio or I Pod.

I drive- I like it. With voice command and shortcuts it's easy. Blue tooth and voice commands are an A+. Much better than on my Lexus. I love that I can actually access my phone book while the car is moving. Also, it updates my phone book every time I turn on the car. That's really great. And I can work the nav while driving. Hit one button to locate restaurants in the area- a very good feature. Lexus had a lock out while moving on Nav and phone.

I Pod connection is very cool A+. I could drive coast to coast no problem

Heated steering wheel- A++ my first experience with this option. I love it.
HUD same as above. I will have a hard time not having this in the future.

Sport Auto Transmission A++ The best. This thing shifts like butter and has a great sound. Lightening fast shifts that are smooth. Power where ever you want and need it.

Mileage-B+ I was worried about this for the sake of the enviorment but I'm averaging about 20mpg with mixed driving in the heavily congested NY area. On a straight highway run I get about 26. This is just a bit less than the LS430 I had but the performance is night and day.

Sport package-A++ The absolute best blend of sport and luxury of any car I've had (MB, Infiniti, BMW 3, BMW X5, Lexus etc). Do not, I repeat, Do not miss out on the ARS. It's amazing to take an off ramp at 50-60 with no body lean.

Breaks are phenomenal as one would expect from BMW A++

Steering wheel-A++ The sport wheel feels great. Perfect.
Steering- A++ I did not get the Active steering as to me it felt a bit artificial. I love the standard BMW steering. Others may have different opinions.

Speed- The car is really quick. 60 comes up in a flash and the car feels like it wants to do 90 as its loafing speed.

Negatives- Not many- but here are some areas of suggested improvement.
For this level of price a backup camera should be standard. I miss mine.
How about a light in the center console so that it's a bit easier to plug in the IPod adaptor or a flash drive.
I didn't get the comfort access and I don't really miss it but I must point out that in my Miata it's included in the premium package and that's a 25K car.

That's it. Sorry to gush. But it's the best car I've every had.(and I've had quite a few)

For twice the price I don't think you can get a better ride (I didn't want an M5-too raw for everyday driving and I would feel guilty at 10 mpg.) BMW is riding high for a reason, they make the best blend of sport and luxury in the market and if you love to drive, this is your ride.
I don't think I will grow tired of this one for quite a while. At least until the lease is up in 3 years and there's a new 500 hp 555 or whatever!

Awesome review!!

I pick up my new 08 550i on Tue and your review put a smile on my face.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-02-2008, 09:19 PM
ck106 ck106 is online now
Registered User
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw 550i
Thanks for the review
I will have my new 550 by Monday evening.
It's my first BMW Just got out of lease from 06 Lexus GS 300 AWD
Can't wait....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
midwest bmw's Avatar
midwest bmw midwest bmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 403
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck106 View Post
Thanks for the review
I will have my new 550 by Monday evening.
It's my first BMW Just got out of lease from 06 Lexus GS 300 AWD
Can't wait....
Well you're in for a real treat -- especially coming from a GS!

I've had my 08 550i with ZSP & Sport Auto Tranny for about 3 mos now and it's hands down the nicest car I have owned..

A snarling beast when I want it to be and a luxurious performance cruiser when I'm feeling mellow

Post some pix of that bad boy when you get it home
__________________
Current Ride:
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
yahtzee's Avatar
yahtzee yahtzee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,169
Mein Auto: 2013 550i ///M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedHog View Post
+1 on the rear view camera.

One question for those who test drove both the 550i and 535i -- I find the 535i's sport suspension a bit too soft. Is the M-tuned suspension on the 550i stiffer?
I don't believe it is an "M-tuned suspension" but it is a "sport tuned suspension" that is a little tighter/stiffer than that of the 535i (but not by much).
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
ck106 ck106 is online now
Registered User
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest bmw View Post
Well you're in for a real treat -- especially coming from a GS!

I've had my 08 550i with ZSP & Sport Auto Tranny for about 3 mos now and it's hands down the nicest car I have owned..

A snarling beast when I want it to be and a luxurious performance cruiser when I'm feeling mellow

Post some pix of that bad boy when you get it home
Sure I will take some pics. just got it tonight But it's raining outside.
Now just try playing with I-drive. It may take me some time to use to it.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM
midwest bmw's Avatar
midwest bmw midwest bmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Midwest USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 403
Mein Auto: 2011 E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck106 View Post
Sure I will take some pics. just got it tonight But it's raining outside.
Now just try playing with I-drive. It may take me some time to use to it.
Ok -- so what the hell did you get?!
Year?
Options?

Spill it!
__________________
Current Ride:
2011\E92\Jerez\Bamboo Novillo\Competition\Convenience\Cold Weather\Premium 2\DCT\Carbon Fiber Performance Interior Trim\Power Rear Sunshade\Smartphone Integration\Satellite\Premium Sound\Significant Gas Guzzler Tax
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms