Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Knowledge Is Power.

Mein Auto: 328i
Exclamation Did You Know...? (Alarm System)

That most of our BMW's don't come with an alarm system. They are pre-wired for an alarm system?

I was at the BMW Dealership to have some features turned on and off, and found out that the reason why my lights don't flash and car doesn't make an sound when locked is bc there's no alarm.

With all the features my car has, I would think it has a freakin alarm system! It even has that red light underneath the rear view mirror.
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
ahaha yea i have that stupid little light too i discovered that i had no alarm system pretty annoying but you can have it installed at bmw
Old 12-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmodena310 View Post
ahaha yea i have that stupid little light too i discovered that i had no alarm system pretty annoying but you can have it installed at bmw
Yeah but what car comes with no alarm these days?? My 2000 Altima, 2001 Eclipse, and "The Wife's" 2000 Lotus have alarms!

Something isn't right!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:31 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

yea my sl 500 came with an alarm but it was to effn sensitive lean on the car and it went off lol haha yea idk why my 3 series doesnt have one
Old 12-25-2008, 08:33 PM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmodena310 View Post
yea my sl 500 came with an alarm but it was to effn sensitive lean on the car and it went off lol haha yea idk why my 3 series doesnt have one
This is crazyness!! I will be getting one installed tomorrow! A.S.A.P. I can just imagine getting in my car to find my stuff gone!
Old 12-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Yes, pretty much all of us know that. And most of us feel having an alarm isn't really necessary. It's actually quite difficult to steal a bimmer and not many get stolen. Of course, getting broken into is a possibility.

The dealer can program your car so that when you lock it the lights flash and the clown nose (that little light under the mirror) blinks. The flashing clown nose is all the deterrent most folks need.

If you decide you really need an alarm and you're just a little bit handy you can buy it online from Tischer and do the install yourself. It's quite easy.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-25-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:23 PM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

yea the little light is a pretty good deterrent
Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Sophistication...

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i
Well I don't think anyone is going to break into it, I guess I am just shocked to find that this feature is not a... "basic". Will ck that site out!!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneChilds View Post
This is crazyness!! I will be getting one installed tomorrow! A.S.A.P. I can just imagine getting in my car to find my stuff gone!
After 30 years of "noisemaker alarms", no one even pays attention to them any more. The important thing is the ignition lock-out feature built into the key. Have the dealer program the clown nose to blink and you`ll be good to go. A-Hole "Smash and Grab" thieves will break your window for a pair of sunglasses (whether you have an alarm or not), so use a little common sense and don`t leave ANYTHING in the car that would catch a thief`s eye.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-26-2008, 07:37 AM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
After 30 years of "noisemaker alarms", no one even pays attention to them any more. The important thing is the ignition lock-out feature built into the key. Have the dealer program the clown nose to blink and you`ll be good to go. A-Hole "Smash and Grab" thieves will break your window for a pair of sunglasses (whether you have an alarm or not), so use a little common sense and don`t leave ANYTHING in the car that would catch a thief`s eye.
Of course I don't leave anything that would make a thief want to break in.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport/Manual
Anyone have more info regarding the specific cost of the BMW alarm, and the difficulty of install?

I would guess install is a snap, since it's all pre-wired, but I wouldn't put it past BMW to have the unit itself cost $500 or something crazy. For that much, I would just buy an aftermarket unit with remote start...
Old 12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
ShaneChilds, can I suggest you go through the wiki again?

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...=BMW_E46#Alarm
Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbo View Post
Anyone have more info regarding the specific cost of the BMW alarm, and the difficulty of install?

I would guess install is a snap, since it's all pre-wired, but I wouldn't put it past BMW to have the unit itself cost $500 or something crazy. For that much, I would just buy an aftermarket unit with remote start...
Old 12-31-2008, 12:34 AM
E(46)=MC2

Mein Auto: 330,335, X6
Factory alarms are fine for the basics.......and BMW has a pretty good system from factory. But if your gonna add an alarm, cause it doesn't have one, I would go aftermarket. But not a cheap Best Buy alarm system off the shelf, they have too many false alarms and are touchy to even the lightest winds especially if your using the shock sensor. If your wanting the force field kind......stick with only the high end name brands like CLIFFORD. If someone even comes 6 inches near your paint the alarm will go off..... and you can adjust the distance in and out of your car that the field extends to. Had one on a Porsche I owned once.......worked like a charm. Factory alarms can be defeated too easily..... I have family in the RCMP up here, and european/exotic cars with factory alarms get driven off into the night all the time.

There's my rant.......now i'm shuttin' up. ;P

You can lead a horse to water......but you can't make it wash your Bimmer.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexbo View Post

$230 - http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...egoryID=103121

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3-Imola Red Interior
I've been planning on getting the oem one but haven't gotten around to it. I need to get lock lug bolts too.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 AM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
ShaneChilds, can I suggest you go through the wiki again?

Thank You KrisL.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I know my 1999 didn't have one, I assumed my 2004 didn't have one.... I unlocked the door w/ the key once and the alarm went off. People thought i was crazy cause I stood there for 2 straight minutes while it went off like "what the hell is this noise, this car doesn't hav an alarm??? "

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 12-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
I know my 1999 didn't have one, I assumed my 2004 didn't have one.... I unlocked the door w/ the key once and the alarm went off. People thought i was crazy cause I stood there for 2 straight minutes while it went off like "what the hell is this noise, this car doesn't hav an alarm??? "
Don't feel bad!! I was probably the opposite. I was the one standing there trying to make the red light beep/flash!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
So... According to the WIKI:

"All US E46 cars are pre-wired for the BMW alarm, but no US cars come with the alarm standard"

What does that mean? Whoever bought my car new ordered it pre-installed or someone had it installed at the dealer?

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Knowledge Is Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
So... According to the WIKI:

"All US E46 cars are pre-wired for the BMW alarm, but no US cars come with the alarm standard"

What does that mean? Whoever bought my car new ordered it pre-installed or someone had it installed at the dealer?
More than likely. Lucky you!