Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-26-2008, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
2009 328xi - Radio doesn't power on

I just got a 2009 328xi two weeks ago. I have the Logic 7 sound system.

Every few days when I start the car I do not hear the ignition chime and the radio does not turn on. I am able to activate Voice Entry using the button on the steering wheel, but using the Audio and Menu buttons on the radio does nothing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: '09 328i Sdn - Space Grey
I got a 2009 328i just a few days ago. I'm very happy with it, except my radio has acted funny twice. The first time it was just as you described - I could not turn the radio on at all. It just displayed the clock. (I don't recall whether the ignition chime occurred). I restarted the car several times to no avail. I left the car alone and tried again 15 minutes later, and it was suddenly fine except that all my radio settings were reset. The next day the radio was partially frozen. No audio was output. I could still access the menu button, and the radio and CD functions responded, however I couldn't change channels or tracks. It would accept voice entry (per a response on the radio display), but I received no audible response. Volume control did nothing. I was able to turn the radio on and off but that didn't fix it. It was as if the radio was muted. Again, after about ten minutes of the car turned off, everything returned to normal and no settings were reset. I'm getting ready to take it to the dealer. I'll post what happens.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:52 PM

I forgot to mention that I also have the Logic 7 system.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
I've had my 328xi for 4 weeks. I have the base stereo. The same scenario happened to me twice last week - no chime, no sound from the stereo. It did not come back when I restarted the car, but did come back when I took the fob out of the dash and reinserted it.

One time before that, the button for my heated steering wheel would not stay on for more than a few seconds. The stereo/sound was working. The heated wheel worked fine the next time that I got in the car and has been fine since then.

I asked my SA about it and he said that he would look into it.

I'll follow-up and post what I hear.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
I have a 09 335i w/ Logic 7 that I picked up this past Oct via ED. I have only had my car with me since Thanksgiving Day week after redelivery.

I am having a similar problem with the radio. In particular, for me anyway, it only happens when the temp is below 30F.

I am waiting for a week that does not snow here before taking it in to check out
Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Original *****

Mein Auto: '09 E90 LCI
are these all non-idrive vehicles?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocamryn View Post
are these all non-idrive vehicles?
I can only speak to my car -- No iDrive for me.

Sport/Premium/Logic 7 and Comfort Access -- that is all!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550i
No iDrive. Base stereo.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:16 PM

I don't have iDrive either.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:44 PM

I tried my second Fob today -- it first worked, and then after I went back to the car to put it into the garage, it did not work.

I am going to try and change the battery in the Fob tomorrow and see if that changes anything. I figure it is a cheap solution if it works and worst case I have a spare battery if it does not work
Old 01-06-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't have iDrive either.

Got my car back from the dealer today and they could not replicate the problem or find anything thru diagnostics. They told me if it happens again, write down any conditions (weather, when it happened - startup, how long was car idle before it happened) and they said best scenario would be to drive to any BMW dealer without shutting off car, so they could run diags as the condition exists.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi
The same thing has happened to me twice since I picked up my car in early December. First time was three days after I picked it up and the second time was today. Kind of a pain, but it does seem to all of a sudden work again after a while...

No iDrive here either.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post

I am having a similar problem with the radio. In particular, for me anyway, it only happens when the temp is below 30F.
I don't think it is temperature related, since it has happened to me at various times when temp was 10F and another time when the temp was 55F and at different temps in-between.

Something interesting though, when the SA read the data on my keyfob, the mileage did not match the vehicle's actual mileage. I am starting to thing it may be ignition/keyfob related.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335ixDrive Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
I've had my 328xi for 4 weeks. I have the base stereo. The same scenario happened to me twice last week - no chime, no sound from the stereo. It did not come back when I restarted the car, but did come back when I took the fob out of the dash and reinserted it.

One time before that, the button for my heated steering wheel would not stay on for more than a few seconds. The stereo/sound was working. The heated wheel worked fine the next time that I got in the car and has been fine since then.

I asked my SA about it and he said that he would look into it.

I'll follow-up and post what I hear.
Exact same thing happened to me a few days after I picked up my 335 in December. I also do not have idrive but I do have Logic 7, CA, cold weather and premium with bluetooth. First the heated steering wheel would go off ater ten seconds. The following day had the same problem with the radio. I thought it was related to the bluetooth because I received phone calls through the car and could not hear the people talking but they could hear me. Since then I have not had any problems.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
My 2008 had something similar happen to it, but I have I-drive so I could "see" it. The system could not find the radio. The AM/FM were there but not bright on the screen. They were dark as if the radio portion had been pulled and only the cd and Aux were there. If that makes sense. It was about 50F outside and I was listening to the radio when i turned off the car. When I came back, not even the voice control would find the radio. It just said "function not available". So drove home with the IPOD. The next day turned the car back on to call BMW and make an Appt. and it was back. toooooooooo wierd

2007 Z4Mcoupe Monaco Blue #13/36
2003 Z4 3.0
1975 2002
2009 X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (retired)
2008 E90 6Mt 335i ED 22 Jul (retired)
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 and others
I guess my wife isn't crazy after all. She's had this happen at least 4 times now, she gets in the car, starts it, turns on the radio but all she gets is the date & time (I think), no display of Radio/CD/Aux or anything else. She tries shutting the radio off/on and then restarting the car (kinda like MS Windows) but no change to audio system when she turns it back on. It will only return to normal functionality on it's own when it chooses, usually the next time she drives it (next day).

She has pointed it out to me twice (I was home) when the audio system was doing it and it almost looks to me like the system is trying to sync via Bluetooth and we're interrupting it but we're not doing anything with BT. She says she's not touching any phone buttons. I couldn't get the audio system to recover nor could I get it out of that very minimal display, it's just frozen other than the fact you can turn the audio system off and back on (but again no audio functionality).

I don't believe it to be ambient temp related, it's happened in 70 deg temps and down in the 20's.

Her car is a '09 328 Conv., Logic 7, w/ sport & prem, heated seats/wheel, NO iDrive, no comfort access

Last edited by gspdbill; 01-24-2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: clairify problem
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335 conv.
I have had the same problem. I have 335i, no nav, Logic 7, CA. I've had the car about 30 days and have had the problem 2-3 different days. Restart didn't cure it but the next day it worked.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspdbill View Post
...it almost looks to me like the system is trying to sync via Bluetooth and we're interrupting it but we're not doing anything with BT. ...
Following up on my earlier post, this problem has not happened to me since. In the two times it occurred, the radio would only come back after I physically left the car for a while. Both times I left the car only about 5 minutes or so, and I had my Bluetooth phone in my pocket. Now that gspdbill theorizes it might be a Bluetooth issue, that makes sense to me. Perhaps the way to reset the radio problem is to leave the car so that Bluetooth totally loses connection with the phone?

Has anyone experienced this problem without using Bluetooth, or has anyone had an experience inconsistent with this theory?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3 and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
Following up on my earlier post, this problem has not happened to me since. In the two times it occurred, the radio would only come back after I physically left the car for a while. Both times I left the car only about 5 minutes or so, and I had my Bluetooth phone in my pocket. Now that gspdbill theorizes it might be a Bluetooth issue, that makes sense to me. Perhaps the way to reset the radio problem is to leave the car so that Bluetooth totally loses connection with the phone?

Has anyone experienced this problem without using Bluetooth, or has anyone had an experience inconsistent with this theory?
I'm really not sure it's a Bluetooth issue it just seems to act that way. When my wife got the car home she took her phone with her inside but it still didn't "un-freeze" the audio system, as you said, we just had to wait it out, I think it took 'til the next morning.

Her phone has NOT been linked (Bluetooth) to the audio system, she hasn't wanted it done.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328XI
328xi Radio

I have a 2009 328xi that I acquired on 12/31/2008. The radio will not turn on at startup some of the time. I had it in the dealer for two days and they could not replicate the failure. Later that night (three starts later) it failed. Stopped for gas, took the key out, when I resarted it was fine.

I printed out all of the blogs on this forum and gave it to my dealer, who gave it to their field rep. First one to solve this should let everyone know.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
I can only speak to my car -- No iDrive for me.

Sport/Premium/Logic 7 and Comfort Access -- that is all!
Same problem here. No iDrive.

What does ED have to do with this... or is that some sort of bragging thing that you thought you would throw out there?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Im having the same problem. the car is not recognizing the cd player or the radio it is just saying telephone active. it will allow me to turn the unit on/off but the menu or audio buttons do not work, just the phone buttons. anybody found a fix yet?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenon321 View Post
Same problem here. No iDrive.

What does ED have to do with this... or is that some sort of bragging thing that you thought you would throw out there?
ED has nothing to do with this specific problem. Since you only have 9 posts, you probably have not seen that a lot of us who have done ED like to have that fact in our sig either in graphic or text format similar to people who list all the BMW cars they have ever owned. For ED, it so others who want to ED can spot other members and ask questions and its more of pride than bragging but you can call it whatever you wish.

I am trying to get my car to the dealer this week provided it does not snow so I will see if I have any luck -- this seems to be an issue with 09 builds. Fortunately for me, I am confident I can repro the problem when I get to the dealer.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 AM

please let us know what happens, thanks!
Old 01-30-2009, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328XI
I took my car in to the dealer while the radio was inoperative. They are pretty sure that the problem was caused by my new cell phone, which is not on the BMW approved list. I went back to using my old phone, which had worked fine with my 2003 330xi.

Since there so few Verizon phones approved, it would make sense that most of you have a phone that is causing the issue. Even if the phone is on the list, they wanted to check the software version.