Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Thank you very much for letting me know what worked for you. I went out to the car this morning and everything was fine. I thought more about it. Yesterday, I think for the first time ever, I used the remote to unlock the car instead of just using the comfort access. I wonder if that might have been the thing that triggered the problem.

Anyway, thanks. If I need to, I'll print out this thread and take it to the dealer. If the problem doesn't happen again, I'll probably just ignore it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi
Happened to me again this morning.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJF View Post
Happened to me again this morning.
Do you know if you used your phone the night before or used the buttons on your FOB to open the car?

Just curious -- since I had my systems reset I have not had the problem. This weekend looks to be nice weather so I am going to try a few things to see if it happens again. Right now, for the last two weekend and since coming back from the dealer, I have had no problems
Old 03-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Not a real doctor.

Some experimentation would be great. I don't think the dealers have a handle on this yet, actually. If we can figure this out, that might help.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Old 03-06-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
Do you know if you used your phone the night before or used the buttons on your FOB to open the car?
I know I didn't use the phone yesterday, but I did have to use the FOB to unlock the car on my way home last night. I however didn't lock the car in my garage when I got home.

Have another appointment on Monday morning.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 PM

My Experimenting for this weekend:

I was trying to repro the problem of the radio not working and in general CA having a problem in my car like many others in this thread.

My specific problem, as I have documented on this and another thread is as follows:

1) My CA would work to Lock/Unlock the doors, but when I tried to start the car, no go and I had to put my fob into the port. In a prior post, I stated that I would change out the batteries which I had done at the time and still nothing had worked. NOTE: I picked up the car as part of my ED and originally paired my phone and used it in Germany to do some 600 miles. My problem only happened AFTER I got it back from Germany.

2) I also experience the inability to use the radio problem -- even if CA started the car

3) I reported the problem to my dealer, took it in to have it checked out. They could not repro the problem that day and I was told if I did repro the problem, to use BMW Assist to have the car towed so that they could check out the fault. Since they were also putting in the M-tech steering wheel for that day, the senior tech decided to disconnect the battery and reset the computers as a way for them to work on the steering wheel and to see if this would solve my problem.

4) I got my steering wheel which I highly recommended over even the sport wheel -- AND -- Oh BTW -- I can no longer Repro the CA problem anymore

This Saturday and Sunday in CT we had 60F+ weather so I took baby for a spin on both days. Having seen several discussions of the problem, I figured I would try to repro the problem. For each leg of my trip, I tried something different to see if I could cause the problem.

Test leg #1: From my Garage, I used the buttons on the fob to unlock the car, then I got in and started the car and all was fine. I stopped at a local drive-in for some brunch with friends, upon exiting the car I locked it with the button on the fob. When I was ready to leave, I decided to use CA. I placed walked up the car, unlocked it without the fob buttons, got in and started the car -- check the radio -- everything worked.

Test leg #2: After starting off from the drive-in to go down old route 6 in Newtown, I opend up my phone a Samsung SGH-A737 unlocked and on the AT&T service and NOT a BMW approved phone. I turned on Bluetooth, and just like the first time I used it in Germany, it paired without hiccup and everything was fine. While on our trip, I called friends via the in car interface who live in Middlebury and told them our ETA. We arrived, without unpairing the phone, I simply grabbed the phone and stepped out of the car. I locked the car by using the thumb on the ribs method.

Test leg #3: After visiting with friends, I used CA to once again get into the car. I had turned off Bluetooth on my phone while inside the house. I got into the car, waived bye to my friends, and clicked the start button and everything was fine -- radio worked. Went home, parked the car in the garage and used the fob to lock the car.

Test leg #4: The next day -- used CA to enter the car and start it -- again no fuss. Half way down the drive, turn on the phone -- selected bluetooth -- and ding -- it paired with no fuss. Called my cousin and told her my ETA to pick her up. I arrive, she hops in the car and we scoot to a family gathering. I get there and shutoff the bluetooth on the phone while in the car, and shutoff the car. As I exit, I lock the car via the fob.

Test leg #5: stuffed from the party, we are ready to go home. I use CA to open the car. I pair my phone once again -- no problem. I make a call to check on a friend. Everything works great. I drop off my cousin, she says bye -- gets out and she "gently" closes the door (I love her!) -- I go home and park the car and use CA to lock as I leave. Later, I realize I left something in car, go back out -- use CA to open the car -- and I try one more time -- car starts -- radio works.

Ok, so is it fixed, or am I getting lucky?

As long as there is no snow on the ground (we are expecting more snow this week in CT) I will be taking the car to work, I will keep trying different combos to see if all of sudden it stops working.....not sure what else to try!

I know what I did is not scientific, any realistic combos I should try?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 AM

My car is back at the dealer today. The problem happened again this morning and a technician was able to take the car with the problem active.

It seemed to be happening more consistently since last Friday. It happened Friday, Saturday, Sunday and this morning and seems to happen if the car has been off for at least 12 hours. I have tried leaving the car both locked and unlocked using the key fob in the garage overnight, makes no difference.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM

Got car back this afternoon. They ended up replacing the radio (head unit).
Old 03-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Not a real doctor.

The problem has now occurred twice in my car. Both times in pretty cold weather. I'm keeping notes.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM

Dead again, so it's not the radio/head unit.

So? What other components are in the audio/radio string?
Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
The problem has now occurred twice in my car. Both times in pretty cold weather. I'm keeping notes.
Aaaahhhhh! and when I said I had a problem in the cold weather....I got

Keep notes ProfessorCook -- tomorrow morning when I am up at 6:30am it is suppose to be about 20F -- I will see what happens because when it happened to me, it was during cold weather as well -- when it gets into the 40s I have never seen a problem -- I don't know if my problem was fixed by the computer resets or not, will be interesting to see what happens in the morning for me
Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Dead again, so it's not the radio/head unit.

So? What other components are in the audio/radio string?
Just about everything in the car -- I suspect they are just guessing as to the fix.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:04 PM

I don't think it's weather/temperature related. My system has failed in all different temps ranging from the teens all the way up into the high 60's.

I managed to find a TSB that seems to describe the problem to the letter. SI B 65 09 05

TSB states that the problem is with the Logic7 amplifier.

Have now escalated to BMW Customer Relations.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Not a real doctor.

Happened to me again yesterday. I got out of the car, locked it, and walked about 150' away. Came back, used CA to unlock it, got in, all was fine.

My guess is that the system has some sort of a boot routine that occasionally gets confused. I'm guessing by walking away and coming back, I effectively rebooted the system.

I'm still keeping notes.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Just got off the phone with my Service Manager. The TSB I found is related to the old design of the Logic7 amplifier and is not related to what we are experiencing. I was told that BMW engineers have a car that is experiencing the problem and are working on finding a solution.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Not a real doctor.

Happened to me yet again yesterday. I tried the walk away and return fix and it worked like a charm. That's four times it's happened to me since I got the car. It's annoying and a bit worrisome, but I think I can live with it until BMW figures it out.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I have a 2009 328i, took delivery on 12/31/2009. I have the logic7 system. Two weeks after delivery the the audio froze, no sound, after an hour audio was back. Happened 2nd time, no audio, tuner option disappeared from options. Took in the BMW dealer, they couldn't reproduce. Happened again, after driving, let the car sit, got in, drove off no sound, tuner option disappeared. I made the gong sound play by taking my seatbelt off and once that gong went off the audio came back on and the tuner reappeared. I called BMW corporate and raised hell about my car that was two weeks old having this problem. Took it in for service, they replaced the radio, because it could not communicate with their computer. I picked up the car last Saturday. All was fine until this morning problem happened again. Once I made the seat belt gong start the audio come back on. Hopefully they find a fix for this.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Just got off the phone with my Service Manager. The TSB I found is related to the old design of the Logic7 amplifier and is not related to what we are experiencing. I was told that BMW engineers have a car that is experiencing the problem and are working on finding a solution.
Let us know if they find a solution. The dealer can't seem to find a solution.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Not a real doctor.

I'll have to try the seatbelt fix.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:36 PM

Making that gong come on seems to undo the audio problem. It's worked the last two times.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
The same problem occurred when I first got the car. I have Logic 7. Fairly often, when I turned on the ignition, the radio was dead even though its power was on. All I could see was the clock. But it always began to work again within a half hour to an hour later, This was intermittent, happening from every couple of couple of days to well over a week.. I called the dealer and they said they couldn't do anything unless they could reproduce the problem. A few days later, when the problem showed up again, I immediately drove to the dealer so they could see that the radio was dead even though the the ignition and the radio's power were both on. I left the car and after they ran some diagnostic tests, they concluded that the radio itself was at fault and they replaced it. They told me that the radio began working again within a half hour after I left it and continued to work well with no apparent problems. That wasn't the least bit surprising to me.

In addition to losing power, I had another problem with that radio. I have HD radio and when the HD signal can't be acquired, the radio automatically should go to the stereo mode. If the signal is too week for stereo, it should then revert to the monaural mode. In my case, when the HD signal was lost, there was no signal at all. The station involved lost all sound--HD, stereo, and monaural.

Since the radio was replaced, both of these problems are now gone.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Not a real doctor.

Thanks for the post, sekitori. How long have you had the new head unit?

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 AM

I've had this happen to me twice.

The only fix thats worked for me is to shut off the car, remove the fob, unlock the seat beat, get out of car, lock, unlock, get in, key fob in, start car, radio on, buckle up.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
Thanks for the post, sekitori. How long have you had the new head unit?
I've had it for almost three months and everything continues to work well. My original radio had fairly severe problems which showed up only intermittently. I'm sure I would still have the same radio if the dealer wasn't able to see it when the problem was present.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
My new (replaced) head unit failed after 2 wks. Did BMW find a solution yet?