Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series

M Series
The ///M Series Forums. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 CSL, Golf IV
Question SMG M3 Transmission: Operation in Sport Mode ?????

Just a note:

What does the "Sport Mode" have to do with SMG II?

Doesn't "Sport Mode" also come with normal stick models?

If so then I think "SMG" should be removed in the above post by "vatkens".

Thanks.

///Leo

Advertisement
Old 06-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
I believe Vatkens was trying to address the complaints from some new owners of SMG cars that the car jerks and bucks. For awhile it seems that a newbie would post this question almost weekly on many M3 boards.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: M3 CSL, Golf IV
Thanks.

I still believe it's very misleading.

Jerkiness with SMG and Sport Button are 2 different things and have nothing in common.

Jerkiness using SMG arises when:

- Driver in unfamiliar using SMG
- Car is new and not broken-in yet
- Car doesn't have the latest SMG version

The transmission is the same on standard and SMG equipped M3's.

Sorry, I don't want to get emails having to explain what the poster meant thinking it's an SMG problem

///Leo

Old 06-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Driving Machine

Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Thanks.

Jerkiness with SMG and Sport Button are 2 different things and have nothing in common.

///Leo
Of course SMG and sport button are totally different things, but they do have something in common...throttle control. It is much more difficult for a new owner of an SMG car to be smooth if he's in sport mode....even if he has the latest software. I haven't seen reports of new owners of 6 speeds having the problem, so it clearly is an SMG specific issue.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
the jerkiness is easily induced on manual cars also...

i think the thing with manual is that you can depress the clutch pedal to stop any lurching/jerkyness that occurs, while this isn't an option with SMG (although taking your foot off the throttle completely or steadying it on the throttle will also stop it... or upshifting).
Old 07-02-2003, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 DCT/04 GT3
Hope this does not confuse the original issue-

One thing that I have noticed with SMG in sport mode is that it does engage the clutch more quickly than in normal mode during rolling low speed starts. I have to drive over a bunch of speed bumps at the office in the parking lot. Usually I go over them ~5mph and pull away lazily to 10-15mph in 2nd gear rather than drop it down to 1st gear. Going over the speed bump at 5mph, SMG is in 2nd gear but the clutch is disengaged due to the low speed to prevent the engine from stalling. After going over the bump and slowly speeding up, in normal mode the SMG seems to feather and slip the clutch more before it is fully engaged (maybe ~1500 rpm), but in sport mode it slips less (seems fully engaged ~1100-1200rpm and more quickly). In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that normal mode is causing more clutch wear during these low speed starts... seems like unneccesary/undesirable clutch slip to me (but perhaps better than jerkyness).

This is the only situation I've found where the transmission seems to be doing something noticibly different in sport vs. normal mode. Of course, this could simply be caused by the faster throttle responsiveness; more aggressive throttle = faster clutch engagement?

I'm only at about 1600 miles, so I might not be completely broken in yet. Dealer said I had the most current software when I had the first service done.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally posted by cchan
Hope this does not confuse the original issue-

One thing that I have noticed with SMG in sport mode is that it does engage the clutch more quickly than in normal mode during rolling low speed starts. I have to drive over a bunch of speed bumps at the office in the parking lot. Usually I go over them ~5mph and pull away lazily to 10-15mph in 2nd gear rather than drop it down to 1st gear. Going over the speed bump at 5mph, SMG is in 2nd gear but the clutch is disengaged due to the low speed to prevent the engine from stalling. After going over the bump and slowly speeding up, in normal mode the SMG seems to feather and slip the clutch more before it is fully engaged (maybe ~1500 rpm), but in sport mode it slips less (seems fully engaged ~1100-1200rpm and more quickly). In the back of my mind, I'm thinking that normal mode is causing more clutch wear during these low speed starts... seems like unneccesary/undesirable clutch slip to me (but perhaps better than jerkyness).

This is the only situation I've found where the transmission seems to be doing something noticibly different in sport vs. normal mode. Of course, this could simply be caused by the faster throttle responsiveness; more aggressive throttle = faster clutch engagement?

I'm only at about 1600 miles, so I might not be completely broken in yet. Dealer said I had the most current software when I had the first service done.
As far as anyone outside BMW knows, there is NO change to SMG operation with Sport mode. The quicker throttle opening will give harder clutch engagement.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-07-2003, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: catera
I have a question with SMG can you be in any gear at any speed, or does it not let you go into 6th gear at 45 mph or something like that?
Just curious I have only has 6 speed experience
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 DCT/04 GT3
Quote:
Originally Posted by madplaye2
I have a question with SMG can you be in any gear at any speed, or does it not let you go into 6th gear at 45 mph or something like that?
Just curious I have only has 6 speed experience
Generally speaking, yes... with the exceptions that
- it won't downshift to a lower gear if it would wind up overreving the engine (downshift will be delayed until car speed drops enough)
- I've found that it won't allow an upshift if you are still under ~1500 rpm in the current gear
- it will automatically downshift two gears if you are slowing down and engine rpm falls to almost 1000rpm (such as coming to a stop). At least that's in S4 mode - other shift settings may be different, S4 is what I use most of the time.

so yes, you can get into 6th gear at around 40+ mph