Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:35 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Kind of a cool pic ~90.8k

This is a section of the pic I posted in another thread about high gloss trim and dual paned windows.

The reason I posted this higher-res section of the original was that it shows a nifty thing about dual paned windows. You get dual reflections... More text below pic:

See how the window section of the pic looks like the camera may have been moving? Well, if you look in the high gloss trim part, you see that is not the case- it's clear (well, as clear textured trim allows). The glass part of the photo has a ghost shadow because of the second pane- which reflects the image again. Kinda nifty in a nerdy kinda way.
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i
That is a GREAT picture of the high gloss Shadowline and double paned windows. Both are must have mods in my book. Very classy looking. The classy appearance of the windows is just a side benefit of the "vault" effect they provide, which is the main reason I decided to do the mod.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:48 PM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Interesting..... so what is the reasoning behind the double paned windows? Any benefit?

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 07-02-2003, 12:04 AM

The main benefit is the increased quietness inside the car. It's more relaxing to drive when the sound of cars, people, and general noises around town are muffled by having these windows. Also, they are supposed to insulate and maintain the temperature inside the car better.
These are two panes of glass with an inert gas-filled layer in between. It is one of four types of glass available on the 5 and 7 series. This is NOT the security glass, which has a polycarbonate layer sandwiched between the panes instead, but the same thickness of ~9mm. The last type of glass is the Protection glass, about a full 3/4" thick if I recall. They are about 30lbs each and cost around $3000 for one door window. The ones on Prop's car were never available as an option in the U.S., but the parts are available for order.
The black ceramic band surrounding the windows is also very classy looking.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:21 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone
The main benefit is the increased quietness inside the car. It's more relaxing to drive when the sound of cars, people, and general noises around town are muffled by having these windows. Also, they are supposed to insulate and maintain the temperature inside the car better.
These are two panes of glass with an inert gas-filled layer in between. It is one of four types of glass available on the 5 and 7 series. This is NOT the security glass, which has a polycarbonate layer sandwiched between the panes instead, but the same thickness of ~9mm. The last type of glass is the Protection glass, about a full 3/4" thick if I recall. They are about 30lbs each and cost around $3000 for one door window. The ones on Prop's car were never available as an option in the U.S., but the parts are available for order.
Hmm... is it only the side glass that is like this or are the front and back windshields also made to be double-pane? Does it still help insulate and maintain the temp if the front and back windows are still single pane?

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 07-02-2003, 06:29 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally posted by doeboy
Hmm... is it only the side glass that is like this or are the front and back windshields also made to be double-pane? Does it still help insulate and maintain the temp if the front and back windows are still single pane?
All windshields are double paned- on every car sold in the US. It's also how windshield repair works- You get a chip and the outside layer breaks, but the inside doesn't.

BMW does offer a climate control windshield for the 5 and 7's. I am pretty sure it has the inert gas that Tyrone speaks of between the panes.

The rear winshield glass is not double paned and BMW doesn't offer one for anything but protection models.

As for whether or not it helps insulate, I can say yes. The car is much cooler, and I experience less road noise with all but ~20% of the glass double paned.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-02-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 08:53 AM

On the E39, yes it is only the side glass (6 windows) with the "insulating double glazing." Having this option on the E38 would also mean having a double paned rear window. The security and protection glass covers all windows except a glass sunroof. These are not available on the E46, but you can get the climate comfort windshield for that car, which has an infrared reflecting layer between the panes. If you look at a 2001 7-series, you will see a greenish blue tint to the windshield and a couple cutouts for placing transponder devices.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 PM
On The Road To Find Out

Mein Auto: '05 X5 4.8is, '03 540iA
I think I see the same dual reflection in the windows of my 2003 540ia. Could it be that dual pane is in this model year as standard?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally posted by crete
I think I see the same dual reflection in the windows of my 2003 540ia. Could it be that dual pane is in this model year as standard?
No, it's not standard. The way to check is to measure the thickness to the specs that Tyrone mentioned ~9mm. Standard glass is about half that thick. Also, the side double paned (called 'glazed,' really) windows have a black stripe ~1" thick across the tops of the windows. The black stripe is ceramic and hides the junction of teh two windows.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 328/formula350/mb3204mat
2pain 3series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone

>>>would you know is the double pain avail for my new 330xi as a orderable part??? Is it just a direct glass replacement or require door guide heavy mods as well??

if' it's just replacing door glass i'd love to ''upgrade''!!
330xi 04 blk(j) blk lther, coldwp/sport/premium pkg's, DNAV,HK,R elec sunshad, xenon, plushmats,cd chger,StepT, Runflts w/alert,sirus sat . 328is 98,525xi-2007-Idrive/nav, headsup and 20waaayout seats,2000 328i wagon.X5D, blk/blk. 2014 535xi
Old 04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
97540i6

Mein Auto: 97 540i6
Glossy shadowline trim

Propellerhead, did you purchase the shadowline trim from the $tealer or Pacific?
Old 04-09-2004, 07:17 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo2000a
>>>would you know is the double pain avail for my new 330xi as a orderable part??? Is it just a direct glass replacement or require door guide heavy mods as well??

if' it's just replacing door glass i'd love to ''upgrade''!!
It's more than the door glass on an E39. You have to replace pretty much every piece of trim on the inside of the windows as well. Here is a pic from my install:

I am sure parts exist for teh E46, but I do not know what they are. Find bimmerfest member, Tyrone- The foremost Bimmer part and ETK wiz kid.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:19 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmig
Propellerhead, did you purchase the shadowline trim from the $tealer or Pacific?
I got them at jobber through a 'reciprocal business relationship' I have with a paint and body shop.