Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
Misfire Driving Girl Mad

I have a 2000 323i with 133,132 miles that is idling rough and has lost lots of power, very sluggish. If in park or neutral it revs and sounds fine. I only put a 150 miles on the car and loved it until a week ago. I just got divorced and had to get a car and found this at a reasonable price. With that said I lost my mechanic in the process and in this point in my life it is not a option to bring it in. I have a guy at the local parts store that gave me some advice and with the help of you tube I've put in a new fuel filter and new plugs. He scanned it for me and pulled up codes p0300 p03001 p03005 p0300 The gentleman from Oriely's stopped by and looked at it for me and suggested the fuel pump possibly. He thought he would find a air leak but did not, also he took off a valve on the side of the engine to check it, forgot what he called it. I am not above getting dirty or diving into this car because I love it and it represents independence for me (with the help of you tube) ANY help I'd be very much appreciate.
Thanks, Danni
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2017, 07:23 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Welcome aboard!

Reality can be cruel....your car is now 17 years old, with an unknown service history. BMWs require more than average maintenance, and if neglected, can lead to a rather expensive list of things that need to be done.

The problem in dealing with mechanics who are not intimately familiar with BMWs is that they all tend to just throw a lot of random parts at the car, and hope that the problem goes away (it usually doesn`t, they will bleed your wallet dry first)

At this point, you might want to seriously reconsider your choice of car brands, and maybe switch to something like a Camry, Civic, Altima, Maxima, etc., all of which have more reasonable service requirements.
Sorry for your troubles, good luck !

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleE View Post
I have a 2000 323i with 133,132 miles that is idling rough and has lost lots of power, very sluggish. If in park or neutral it revs and sounds fine. I only put a 150 miles on the car and loved it until a week ago. I just got divorced and had to get a car and found this at a reasonable price. With that said I lost my mechanic in the process and in this point in my life it is not a option to bring it in. I have a guy at the local parts store that gave me some advice and with the help of you tube I've put in a new fuel filter and new plugs. He scanned it for me and pulled up codes p0300 p03001 p03005 p0300 The gentleman from Oriely's stopped by and looked at it for me and suggested the fuel pump possibly. He thought he would find a air leak but did not, also he took off a valve on the side of the engine to check it, forgot what he called it. I am not above getting dirty or diving into this car because I love it and it represents independence for me (with the help of you tube) ANY help I'd be very much appreciate.
Thanks, Danni
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately you're at the mileage where everything starts to go wrong on the E46. It's not beyond saving, not by a long shot, but it will take some work.

That said those look like misfire codes. Those could be air leaks or a failing fuel pump. If you really want to go down this rabbit hole you can start here.

Good luck.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Thank You, that's alot of info, Iv'e already started down this rabbit hole, no stopping now! Car is worthless as is the first suggestion to reconsider car brands is NOT an option. I just wish I had a priority first type list. I did fuel injectors this morning, still same outcome. But hey, all my old working parts I take off that prove not to be faulty are going on ebay!!

Danni
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
Hey, fellow Michigander here. I'm not close enough but if you run into real trouble sorting this out there are a few people on the E39 forum in your area that are closer that might help for a beer and slice of pizza. There is also a regional forum you can post in for local help but those are pretty slow moving so it requires a lot of patience.
But in the meantime, P0300 is a general misfire code, P0301 & P0305 are specifically cylinders 1 & 5. A quick test would be to swap coil packs around (say 1 & 2 and 4 & 5) and see if the codes change, this indicates the problem is a coil pack. Slightly more work is to swap the plugs around, but at your mileage if you are pulling them out you might as well put new ones in. Of course if any of them are covered in oil that indicates another problem, if the oil is visible in the well you have a leaking valve cover gasket but if it isn't you may have a problem with your CCV (any smoke from tailpipe?). Speaking of leaks, a smoke test is generally the method of choice, but a simple inspection of the MAF and tube to the intake manifold might be sufficient for now.

Edit: Don't mind Fast Bob, he can be harsh on people who don't read the wiki or who he thinks are not capable of properly caring for an E46 - once you get past that you'll find he knows his stuff.

Sent from the past using the Bimmerfest app on my flip-phone

After...(this may take a few years, it's my DD and I have bigger projects)

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG (hello X7, and lottery!)
1999 BMW 740i - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 BMW 330xi - fXtXeX/son project time - still needs work but he's driving it
2008 BMW 335xi - quite the replacement winter beater for an Impala!

Last edited by u.nanimous; 04-18-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 AM

My car does not seem to smoke and I changed coil packs around without a change. I actually got a P0306 code at the beginning of this ordeal. I'm just going to keep picking away with things I can afford and things that should just simply be replaced by this point in time, (I know that's most things) I was just hoping someone would read this and say "hey that is just what my car was doing, here is what you do" I get it now that there are so many factors and to pin point it by my symptoms is not reasonable. 6 months ago if you told me I'd be under my car/hood I'd have laughed in your face, I kinda like it to be honest, my friends giggle when I tell them I'm going home to work on my car! Wish me luck! Tonight I'm replacing a couple intake boots as they have been patched, but not leaking!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
If you get tired of having someone else scan it, there are some really inexpensive scanners out there. Personally I have an Autel AL619 (~$110) so I can't say which others are good but I've seen many posts about some as cheap as $20. A search in here and the E39 forum should give you some options from handheld to Bluetooth to PC (Carly, OBDfusion, Elm327, Creator, PASoft).
My son has done a bit of work on our 330xi from the Bentley manual and especially YouTube, he even contacted 50skid on there (very helpful).
Good luck!

Sent from the past using the Bimmerfest app on my flip-phone

After...(this may take a few years, it's my DD and I have bigger projects)

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG (hello X7, and lottery!)
1999 BMW 740i - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 BMW 330xi - fXtXeX/son project time - still needs work but he's driving it
2008 BMW 335xi - quite the replacement winter beater for an Impala!
Old 04-18-2017, 12:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

OK, now we know what direction you`re willing to take with your car (we admire determination in a person !) Glad to see that you`re going to stick with it, E46s are best suited to those who are willing & able to DIY most problems.

For tracking down those stubborn vacuum leaks, there are a few DIY videos on YouTube that show how to build your own smoke machine for cheap $....you may get to that point sooner or later.

You might want to investigate joining the BMWCCA, it`s relatively cheap, and provides a lot of worthwhile benefits. Most chapters have monthly meetings where you can discuss just about anything, you might even be able to round up a body or two who would help with their wrenching skills, ya never know !

Good luck

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-19-2017, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto:
May I suggest you have the engine computer (DME in BMWeze) scanned for codes. The SES light is on only when there's a code that's related to the emissions system. Also, check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Part #2 in the link is the cap to the test valve. Pressure has to be at least 50psi at all engine speeds. I'm betting the fuel pump is soft failing. That means the pump can't produce enough volume at 50psi. A soft failing fuel pump always hard fails (pumps nada)!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=13_0900
Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330 cic
Some thoughts

I don't remember the codes I had, but I had similar misfire issues about a month ago that first started as relatively random. What I mean by this is I would shut it off and on restart it would run normally, finally after 2 weeks this no longer worked and it started running rough all the time. It turned out that 3 of the 6 coil packs were gone. I had those replaced and my mechanic also replaced the plugs, which was probably not necessary since they were only a year and a half old and replaced when I did the VCG. I also had the fuel filter changed since it hadn't been done since 50K and it now has 132K. My situation is easier since I have had the car since new and keep up with maintenance. Also, the SES light, not the CEL, did come on when this happened. We cleared this the first time and waited for it to come back on to confirm the issue, so it is not necessarily an emmissions issue

Last edited by STS42; 04-19-2017 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 AM

Thanks Bob, I dearly fell in love with this BMW after only a month of driving it, I've owned a great number of cars, but just love this one, it has great road manners & enough power to keep me happy as well & my last car was a camaro, Although it is driving me NUTS right now......... I will do this! I order a fuel pump, kinda one of my preventive maint things I can justify and rule out. Funny I poured a bunch of injector cleaner in when I bought the car, wonder if that could have messed something up. I will try and do the smoke test thing, looks simple enough! Also going to look for a cheap scanner that will also allow me (or a talented gentleman I can sweet talk into) programming, the auto locking doors are driving me nuts! Thanks Again for the help guys, I know ya'll get sick of folk like me as far I was reading on here! Just to let you know it means a lot to me!

Danni
Old 04-19-2017, 12:50 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleE View Post
Thanks Bob, I dearly fell in love with this BMW after only a month of driving it, I've owned a great number of cars, but just love this one, it has great road manners & enough power to keep me happy as well & my last car was a camaro, Although it is driving me NUTS right now......... I will do this! I order a fuel pump, kinda one of my preventive maint things I can justify and rule out. Funny I poured a bunch of injector cleaner in when I bought the car, wonder if that could have messed something up. I will try and do the smoke test thing, looks simple enough! Also going to look for a cheap scanner that will also allow me (or a talented gentleman I can sweet talk into) programming, the auto locking doors are driving me nuts! Thanks Again for the help guys, I know ya'll get sick of folk like me as far I was reading on here! Just to let you know it means a lot to me!

Danni
Hang in there, most problems get solved eventually....
As far as injector cleaner goes, a little caution might be in order (see the following thread....)

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...jector+cleaner

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search