Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-19-2016, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 330i
E46 330i for E90 335i?

Hey everyone..I'm a newbie here..I have a E46 330i..2005 model..had it for a good couple of years now..thinkin of trading it for a decent E90 335i.

Is that a good swop?I love my 330i.Not so sure anything else out there is gonna give me the
same power sound I get from my Beemer.

Wht y'all think?
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Bmw 330ci
I'm on the exact same situation but I feel like I'm not ready to let my baby go just yet
Old 08-19-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
The N54 and N55 engines sound great, and they have the power to back up the talk. If you want big power, go with the N54. It will require a bit more care, but you can see some insane numbers. MMV's E92 is pushing upwards of 510 WHP, so it's pretty nuts.

If you want something to drive daily and will be dependable, the N55 is the way to go. Less problems, more low-end torque, and can still be modded, although not to the degree of the N54. With just a JB4 on Map 1, you'll be grinning. With Map 2, downpipe, and aFe Stage 2 intake, you'll be laughing like a maniac. A new charge pipe and better flowing exhaust will help, too.

If it were me, I'd find an N55 335i and go from there.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
The N54 and N55 engines sound great, and they have the power to back up the talk. If you want big power, go with the N54. It will require a bit more care, but you can see some insane numbers. MMV's E92 is pushing upwards of 510 WHP, so it's pretty nuts.

If you want something to drive daily and will be dependable, the N55 is the way to go. Less problems, more low-end torque, and can still be modded, although not to the degree of the N54. With just a JB4 on Map 1, you'll be grinning. With Map 2, downpipe, and aFe Stage 2 intake, you'll be laughing like a maniac. A new charge pipe and better flowing exhaust will help, too.

If it were me, I'd find an N55 335i and go from there.
Sounds good bro..friend of mine told me bout the N54..he calls it,to quote him "a mean mothaf..r"..Loolz

Thanks for the input..Will most def be checkin it out.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
I have had the same thoughts [e46/330i ---> e90/335i], however, here is just a small example: O.E.M. water pump - co$t: e46 - $50-75.00, e90 - $250-ish (its electric)... Eventually, I'll move to a later model, but not now & certainly NOT a 4-cyllnder, regardless...
Old 08-22-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlblau View Post
I have had the same thoughts [e46/330i ---> e90/335i], however, here is just a small example: O.E.M. water pump - co$t: e46 - $50-75.00, e90 - $250-ish (its electric)... Eventually, I'll move to a later model, but not now & certainly NOT a 4-cyllnder, regardless...
Oh noo dude..mos def not a 4-cylinder..will keep mine until I find sumthing worthy to replace my 330i..that growl sounds the same mean when I first bought it..it may not have the screeching take-off of the M3..but once it gets going its a beast.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i, 11 X5 35d
Sounds like a proper upgrade. However, I would avoid the 2007 and 2008 models. They have some gremlins and buy one from a BMW dealer as a CPO with preferably less than 80,000km . These cars can be expensive on parts, so having the warranty is a must !

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 08-22-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
Sounds like a proper upgrade. However, I would avoid the 2007 and 2008 models. They have some gremlins and buy one from a BMW dealer as a CPO with preferably less than 80,000km . These cars can be expensive on parts, so having the warranty is a must !
Sorry, but don't agree with warranty is a must. It is a must if you only want to go to dealer and / or a period repair of $500-$1,500 is not something that you want to deal with. Even then, that only lasts until the warranty turns into a pumpkin which is usually less than halfway through the payment schedule.
If you know how to source discounted parts, and or can DIY or have trusted independent mechanic, a warranty is likely not going to pay for itself. Mostly any third party warranty on a 8-10 year old car will have plenty of loopholes. Therefore, there are usually many non covered parts unless you go with an excluded coverage warranty (as is all is covered except excluded list of parts) but these are rare and generally very expensive. Most warranties list included components and everything else is excluded. Looks good until your failed parts is not explicitly listed as covered. No warranty will cover wear parts, maintenance items, and will deny a claim if maintenance cannot be proven.
It boils down to this: Warranty companies are not charities, they are for profit businesses. It's a very simple business model: The company goes bankrupt and the people at the top don't make bonus unless you spend more money than they will pay.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Sorry, but don't agree with warranty is a must. It is a must if you only want to go to dealer and / or a period repair of $500-$1,500 is not something that you want to deal with. Even then, that only lasts until the warranty turns into a pumpkin which is usually less than halfway through the payment schedule.
If you know how to source discounted parts, and or can DIY or have trusted independent mechanic, a warranty is likely not going to pay for itself. Mostly any third party warranty on a 8-10 year old car will have plenty of loopholes. Therefore, there are usually many non covered parts unless you go with an excluded coverage warranty (as is all is covered except excluded list of parts) but these are rare and generally very expensive. Most warranties list included components and everything else is excluded. Looks good until your failed parts is not explicitly listed as covered. No warranty will cover wear parts, maintenance items, and will deny a claim if maintenance cannot be proven.
It boils down to this: Warranty companies are not charities, they are for profit businesses. It's a very simple business model: The company goes bankrupt and the people at the top don't make bonus unless you spend more money than they will pay.
Maybe I wasn't quite clear in my last post. I meant to say was getting a certified pre-owned car from BMW with the extended warranty with 160,000 km warranty or now you can get warranty for 200,000 km. You only go to the dealer for warranty purposes, which means your warranty is with BMW. I don't trust 3rd party warranties that much either, and never brought it up in the first place. It's a given with any warranty that wear parts are not covered such as: tires, brakes, wiper blades, light bulbs.
I am a strong believer in buying CPO cars, if buying used. It gives me peace of mind. Your business model is correct, however ever wondered why some of their cars, when they come out of lease go to wholesale and some are reconditioned to BMW standards and sold as CPO ? Because, they already which are good and which cars are bad. A car with a shady past, warrants issues down the road, which means more money out BMW's pocket to fix it, and you might see them for thousands less at a third party dealership.
I had this experience with my previous E90 2006 330xi, the car was a pure lemon. The car cost me over $5000 in repairs. I paid the price and learned my lesson, never to buy from a third party dealer again with no warranty or even third party warranty.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
I agree CPO is a good way to go, but the newest E90 is now five years old, which only leaves one year of coverage at best. The other option is Carmax which has a very reputable program. BMW Dealers do sell warranties but if not CPO they're third party, not from BMW, which takes you back to companies with dubious records for paying on claims.

Other than those two, caveat emptor. Generally, a thorough PPI from an independent shop is bigger bang for the buck.

To your nightmare 330xi, I'll give a couple of counter examples.
When my 650 was getting close to four years old, my independent shop said a warranty was a good idea due to high labor cost if leaks occurred. I considered it but knew my mileage would remain on the low side so I passed. Car is nine years old now and other than maintenance and a battery, it has had zero repairs. Dooms day is coming with that car, but I self funded the repairs.
Mini daily driver, bought new, similar scenario at four year mark, except it went over 100k miles. Passed on warranty, drove car for ten years, we replaced two engine mounts, and lower control arms. Not sure if they would have been covered. Everything else was maintenance.
By skipping the warranty on these two cars alone I am ahead $7,500.

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
I agree CPO is a good way to go, but the newest E90 is now five years old, which only leaves one year of coverage at best. The other option is Carmax which has a very reputable program. BMW Dealers do sell warranties but if not CPO they're third party, not from BMW, which takes you back to companies with dubious records for paying on claims.

Other than those two, caveat emptor. Generally, a thorough PPI from an independent shop is bigger bang for the buck.

To your nightmare 330xi, I'll give a couple of counter examples.
When my 650 was getting close to four years old, my independent shop said a warranty was a good idea due to high labor cost if leaks occurred. I considered it but knew my mileage would remain on the low side so I passed. Car is nine years old now and other than maintenance and a battery, it has had zero repairs. Dooms day is coming with that car, but I self funded the repairs.
Mini daily driver, bought new, similar scenario at four year mark, except it went over 100k miles. Passed on warranty, drove car for ten years, we replaced two engine mounts, and lower control arms. Not sure if they would have been covered. Everything else was maintenance.
By skipping the warranty on these two cars alone I am ahead $7,500.
He can always go for a nice F30, either you love it or hate it. I love it. The 8 speed automatic is amazing, and its more comfortable.
Most of the times you get very lucky with cars. One of my family members has a 2006 BMW 325xi, and has the least amount of issues. Only wear and tear from time to time.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search