Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i W/O CDV
H&R Touring Cup Kit vs Koni/H&R Kit - Actual Installed/Driven Comparison

I am starting this thread to compare two suspension options available currently. While most setups can be compared on paper, no real-world systems comparisons exist outside of tire rack - which hasn't been updated in some time. Furthermore, they compare only springs (H&R vs Eibach).

The new suspension is NOT YET INSTALLED as of 4/9/14

As of today (4/9/14), I've got the H&R Touring Cup Kit on the car. The ride height is a comparable drop to Sport Springs on a non-sport packaged sedan (1.4" F / 0.75" R). I installed this in March of 2011 @ roughly 90K miles. The car now has 145K miles.

Recently, within the last 1-2 months, the suspension seems to have lost ALL damping ability. DSC comes on on uneven pavement, slight bumps in the road require corrective maneuvering, overall the car feels as if it is riding only on springs - "bouncy" in all aspects with no negotiation of uneven pavement.

I have determined the dampers need to be replaced. I originally went with the H&R kit because I was looking to lower the car and improve sportiness. I chose H&R cup kit due to its matched spring/shock design. I came across this Koni designed kit with matched H&R springs & the same kit with Koni Orange shocks/struts. After considerable research, ive decided to go with the Yellow version. It seems as the ride height drop is pretty much the same (1.4" F 0.80" R; 35mm F / 20mm R)

I'll keep this thread updated with my, obviously subjective, assessment of the two kits in comparison. While i didn't get a chance to track the car, I think most people buying this kit are simply looking to do street driving anyway. I'm looking to install on Saturday, April 12th.

Los Angeles BMWCCA Member#415991
Ads by Google
Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm leaning toward getting the H&R sport cup kit later this year.

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Preventive work: replaced entire cooling system, and all fluids, filters, and spark plugs at purchase

Modifications: K&N 57 cold air intake, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, replaced stock differential with 3.46 differential, Turner front strut bar, clutch stop, ZHP shift knob, clutch delay valve delete, clear front reflectors

Future modifications: Suspension upgrades
Old 04-10-2014, 09:07 AM

You're in LB! Come drive it after i install! Might sway you to the Koni/H&R kit.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:14 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E46 stg 2.5 & E60 M5
I've tried KWs, Bilstein, H&R and some other company I can't remember. After hating almost every single one. I ended up with the H&R coils. Couldn't be happier. Their exactly the same as the sport cup kit. Only difference is the coils are ride height adjustable. All other components are exactly the same. So if you don't want to deal with the ride height constantly. The sport cup kit is ideal at the fixed height.
2004 Maserati M128 GT SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 04-10-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinojosa View Post
You're in LB! Come drive it after i install! Might sway you to the Koni/H&R kit.
You're on--I'd love to! I guess I'm just across the 710 from you. I'm sending you my email address by private message so we can stay in touch.

Between you and I and MalibuMafia, we seem to have a southern California beemer suspension conclave going on.

Preventive work: replaced entire cooling system, and all fluids, filters, and spark plugs at purchase

Modifications: K&N 57 cold air intake, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, replaced stock differential with 3.46 differential, Turner front strut bar, clutch stop, ZHP shift knob, clutch delay valve delete, clear front reflectors

Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
You're on--I'd love to! I guess I'm just across the 710 from you. I'm sending you my email address by private message so we can stay in touch.

Between you and I and MalibuMafia, we seem to have a southern California beemer suspension conclave going on.
indeed. Although I don't drive the 3er much on public roads. Funny I say that because my gf is driving it right now since her S4 is in the shop, because Audi.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
indeed. Although I don't drive the 3er much on public roads. Funny I say that because my gf is driving it right now since her S4 is in the shop, because Audi.
If you used your 3-series solely for daily driving on public roads, would that affect your suspension choices, or would you still go with the H&R sport cup kit?

By the way, I seem to recall you once saying you had the Hotchkiss sway bars--am I remembering that correctly? If so, how do you like them?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:56 AM
L4P

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
If you used your 3-series solely for daily driving on public roads, would that affect your suspension choices, or would you still go with the H&R sport cup kit?

By the way, I seem to recall you once saying you had the Hotchkiss sway bars--am I remembering that correctly? If so, how do you like them?
I have H&R sways. And if I were to daily it I would go with the sport cup kit.
But I attempted to daily that car a few times and it was a bad idea. It's like a workout driving that car in traffic and the attention it attracts isn't always good from the law enforcement

At least when I daily my M5 I can get away with being loud and fast. WHAT WAS THAT SOUND!?. Put into neutral put windows down quietly roll by police smiling ( definitely wasn't that really big BMW sedan ).
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 04-10-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM

Sounds good, John. I'll check out my PMs.

I have H&R sways as well - love them. Tuned to full stiff in front and full soft in rear - seems to be pretty neutral.

Hey Malibu, you mention the H&R Coils, I am assuming one of the coilover setups (Club Sport, RSS, or SS). I am definitely a huge H&R product fan. I just wonder about the longevity of the cup kit's dampers. mine lasted about 50k miles. Hopefully this new setup with H&R springs matched with Koni Yellows not only feels better, but hopefully lasts longer. I just wish they made this kit with the H&R Race height springs.

I'm thinking this should be somewhat helpful for people deciding on a spring/shock package and don't want to deal a coilover system and its nuances such as corner weighting and all that.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:36 AM
L4P

Quote:
Sounds good, John. I'll check out my PMs.

I have H&R sways as well - love them. Tuned to full stiff in front and full soft in rear - seems to be pretty neutral.

Hey Malibu, you mention the H&R Coils, I am assuming one of the coilover setups (Club Sport, RSS, or SS). I am definitely a huge H&R product fan. I just wonder about the longevity of the cup kit's dampers. mine lasted about 50k miles. Hopefully this new setup with H&R springs matched with Koni Yellows not only feels better, but hopefully lasts longer. I just wish they made this kit with the H&R Race height springs.

I'm thinking this should be somewhat helpful for people deciding on a spring/shock package and don't want to deal a coilover system and its nuances such as corner weighting and all that.
damn only 50k? that sucks. I'm honestly not sure if their club sport, rss or ss. I just know their red and black and only are adjustable with height. I've had them on for a long time and their the best suspension I've ever had on any of my cars.

Although for being on a daily? I wouldn't entirely recommend it unless you don't mind a really harsh ride. The noise isn't noticeable though. No banging or clanking or anything like that. It's quiet, but harsh.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 PM

Yea i thought it wouldve lasted longer than 50k too. Ah well, get to try something else out now!

Like i said i think H&R makes a damn good product and really liked the Touring Cup Kit from both a ride-height and performance/harshness perspective. This is why I was really excited when i found out of the Koni + H&R kit. Great Springs engineered for & matched up with a battle-tested performance shock/strut.

Kit should be delivered today, I'll post pics tonight.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
I might be talking to the wrong group since I have M3 E46. But any way. How you can tell if your shocks are bad and/or when should be replaced. My M3 has 33K miles on it and it's my daily driving.
Does M3 have a rough ride? And by changing the shocks to something other than stock will improve the ride?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM

To whinojosa and MalibuMafia--like BMC-M3 I'm pretty new to this game and still learning the basics, so let me ask a real beginner's question: is lowering the height of the car the main reason for getting new springs, or are there other reasons as well? Do springs just wear out around 100,000 miles, or do they last longer? (I've searched but haven't stumbled onto whatever threads might discuss this.)

Thanks!

Old 04-10-2014, 10:30 PM

This really has become a so-cal based thread.

BMC-M3, while i cant speak to specific M3 nuances, generally speaking with BMWs, if the shocks/struts are worn, you wont really notice a degradation of performance as it will be gradual. You'll notice the car will remain bouncy after a disruption in the road. Think of a dip on the road as you rol accross it. With optimally performing shocks/struts, you'll notice the car will hit the dip and stop bouncing immediately. With worn ones, the car will "dip" a few more times after the road dip.

John, generally speaking, most people replace springs to lower the car. However, they do actually break, especially in regions with salted roads in winter. There are other reasons to replace the springs to achieve certain handling characteristics by altering the spring rates. Check out the below articles for some info regarding suspension tuning tips.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...ng_tuningtable
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...ybar_setup.htm

Old 04-10-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
This really has become a so-cal based thread.

BMC-M3, while i cant speak to specific M3 nuances, generally speaking with BMWs, if the shocks/struts are worn, you wont really notice a degradation of performance as it will be gradual. You'll notice the car will remain bouncy after a disruption in the road. Think of a dip on the road as you rol accross it. With optimally performing shocks/struts, you'll notice the car will hit the dip and stop bouncing immediately. With worn ones, the car will "dip" a few more times after the road dip.

John, generally speaking, most people replace springs to lower the car. However, they do actually break, especially in regions with salted roads in winter. There are other reasons to replace the springs to achieve certain handling characteristics by altering the spring rates. Check out the below articles for some info regarding suspension tuning tips.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handlin...ng_tuningtable
http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...ybar_setup.htm
Thanks, Will! I'll take a look at those articles--

Old 04-11-2014, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Whinojosa. Thanks for the explanation that make sense. So it's part of the handling which I love.
Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

*UPDATE 4/15/14

New suspension installed. Alignment completed. Springs are still settling but the ride height seems to be EXACTLY the same between the H&R Touring Cup Kit and the new Koni /H&R Sport Kit. Actually the springs included have the EXACT same H&R part number on the spring itself #29485.

I guess its no surprise that the new setup feels much better than the previous Touring Cup Kit setup. The car feels firmly planted across all road surfaces where the Cup Kit felt a little unsure at times across uneven surfaces rattling the entire car. I haven't had a chance to really push the car as i'm still getting a front end rattling sound that persisted prior to the new suspension. I'm thinking sway links - but i'll check shortly. I think the ride height is perfect. Not too low and noticeable but just low enough to get rid of most of the fender gap. Again, the H&R Touring Cup Kit, while great felt harsher than this new Koni/H&R Sport setup.

If you are deciding between the H&R Touring Cup Kit and the Koni/H&R Sport setup, pay the extra hundred or so for the Koni setup as the damping action is superior. Furthermore, its adjustable.

I'll update this thread with pics and real-world examples from my daily commute after i get the rattle sorted out.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM

This (last pic) is prob why I lost damping in the rear!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1397599237.735221.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	433901   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1397599262.045434.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	433902   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1397599282.283159.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	433903  

Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Quote:
*UPDATE 4/15/14

New suspension installed. Alignment completed. Springs are still settling but the ride height seems to be EXACTLY the same between the H&R Touring Cup Kit and the new Koni /H&R Sport Kit. Actually the springs included have the EXACT same H&R part number on the spring itself #29485.

I guess its no surprise that the new setup feels much better than the previous Touring Cup Kit setup. The car feels firmly planted across all road surfaces where the Cup Kit felt a little unsure at times across uneven surfaces rattling the entire car. I haven't had a chance to really push the car as i'm still getting a front end rattling sound that persisted prior to the new suspension. I'm thinking sway links - but i'll check shortly. I think the ride height is perfect. Not too low and noticeable but just low enough to get rid of most of the fender gap. Again, the H&R Touring Cup Kit, while great felt harsher than this new Koni/H&R Sport setup.

If you are deciding between the H&R Touring Cup Kit and the Koni/H&R Sport setup, pay the extra hundred or so for the Koni setup as the damping action is superior. Furthermore, its adjustable.

I'll update this thread with pics and real-world examples from my daily commute after i get the rattle sorted out.
Very nice, Will! You may not have a basis for answering but have you any sense of how the Koni/H&R compares with the H&R sport cup kit?

Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM

From what I hear the sport cup kit is about 50% stiffer than stock non-sport, whereas the touring cup kit is about 30% stiffer. From my experience, the touring kit springs (29485) is pretty stiff, but def nothing crazy. Honestly i wouldn't have been opposed to the race-height springs if they were in the kit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that with every increase in stiffness, other parts receive more stress... Control arms, bushings, rtabs, tie rod ends, sway links, not to mention engine mounts and tranny mounts getting slightly more stress.

Old Today, 07:00 AM

Quote:
From what I hear the sport cup kit is about 50% stiffer than stock non-sport, whereas the touring cup kit is about 30% stiffer. From my experience, the touring kit springs (29485) is pretty stiff, but def nothing crazy. Honestly i wouldn't have been opposed to the race-height springs if they were in the kit.

One thing to keep in mind though is that with every increase in stiffness, other parts receive more stress... Control arms, bushings, rtabs, tie rod ends, sway links, not to mention engine mounts and tranny mounts getting slightly more stress.

How much stiffer thanstock non-sport would you say the Koni/H&R setup is--or at least how much stiffer than touring? From the standpoint of making the car last as long as possible, would you pick a softer setup, or are the stress problems pretty minor?

Old Today, 08:08 AM

Well the Koni / H&R setup has the same spring as the touring cup kit. So both I'd say are about 30-35% stiffer than stock. Definitely live able.

As far as making the car last the longest, I'd go with the softest possible setup that gets you the lowest ride height (if that is your goal). In my opinion the H&R 29485 spring (included with both the touring cup kit an the current Koni kit) is probably the best of every world. It gives a decent drop to eliminate wheel gap, it handles perfectly, lastly most can live with the increases harshness.

My goal was not to drop it as low as I can go, I'd have done coil overs if that was my goal. My goal was to get the BEST handling possible. From my understanding there are diminishing returns when lowering in regards to handling.

I'll pm you... Seriously come drive it and try it out.

I've now got an extra set of H&R 29485's too!!

Old Today, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Well the Koni / H&R setup has the same spring as the touring cup kit. So both I'd say are about 30-35% stiffer than stock. Definitely live able.

As far as making the car last the longest, I'd go with the softest possible setup that gets you the lowest ride height (if that is your goal). In my opinion the H&R 29485 spring (included with both the touring cup kit an the current Koni kit) is probably the best of every world. It gives a decent drop to eliminate wheel gap, it handles perfectly, lastly most can live with the increases harshness.

My goal was not to drop it as low as I can go, I'd have done coil overs if that was my goal. My goal was to get the BEST handling possible. From my understanding there are diminishing returns when lowering in regards to handling.

I'll pm you... Seriously come drive it and try it out.

I've now got an extra set of H&R 29485's too!!

Absolutely--I'm looking forward to coming over and seeing the new setup! I'll watch for your pm.

Old Today, 10:28 AM
L4P

Where's my invite? lol.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old Today, 11:45 AM

Hahahah come on down too!! I'm sure I'd enjoy seeing one of your toys anyway!!