Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-17-2014, 10:32 PM

Mein Auto: Xterra
Excessive Oil Consumption and oil build up

I have a 2002 325I with 175000 miles on it. It uses oil like crazy around a quart every 500 to 600 miles. So far I have changed the valve cover gasket wich revealed the oil build up ill post pics of, the CCV valve, Oil pan gasket, and the oil filter housing gasket. I also checked the compression and all cylinders run around 150psi. The oil build up is solid, so Im thinking that it might have gotten to the valve stem seals and messed them up. My question is could this cause it to use so much oil? This is the first BMW Ive worked on so I'm lost. It will smoke a little when you take off. Should I pull the head and try the Valve stem seals or just trade the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	417622   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw2.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	417623  

Last edited by jj787; 01-17-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
In the CCV job you need to change all hoses and clean out the dipstick drain. Pictures like that just about ensure its clogged and will backup oil into the cylinders just like a clogged CCV.

Manually remove as much of that gunk in the head as you can before doing any liquid cleaning treatments in the engine. Smolck has a thread going called not your average oil change that will have some good advice. It's been active in the last two weeks.

Valve stem seals could also be compromised.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Check out my thread and follow the procedure, but I'd do 10 to 20 cycles. You should also try Kreen made by Kano Labs. No doubt your rings are clogged. Unstick them and the oil consumption will decrease substantially.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-18-2014, 08:12 AM

Thanks guys. I have read your thread on the oil consumption. Another question is on these engines can I pull the pistons and rering the car without having to pull the entire crank. I have done it to Nissans and Toyotas over time, but as I said im lost on a BMW. I think I'm going to be pulling the head to clean it anyway, and while its off ill go ahead and do a valve job on it.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:16 AM

Oh and I did change all of the hoses with the CCV valve as well. That and a complete cooling system overhaul were the first thing I done. Im doing all this for a friend she bought the car, and the car lot said they had this all replaced. You could tell that it hadn't been replaced when I took it apart though.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 3.0 Gasser
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj787 View Post
Oh and I did change all of the hoses with the CCV valve as well. That and a complete cooling system overhaul were the first thing I done. Im doing all this for a friend she bought the car, and the car lot said they had this all replaced. You could tell that it hadn't been replaced when I took it apart though.
Try the cleaning procedures that Smolck is using. Piston engines, I'm sure you know, all use the same basic principles of combustion, so BMW's aren't any different.
But, in my opinion, your friend would have to be VERY attractive for me to re-ring an engine.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo, rear wheel bearings and hubs, headlamp lens replacement

2001 330 has left the building

X5 fun includes: Trans fluid change. Nav update. Idler pulley replacement.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I hate that crap. Typical sales tactic - say anything... basically lie, to make the sale. I'd go back and have words with the lot manager...... maybe tell my story to a couple people thinking about buying a car there. Probably nothing you can do but give them some grief. I'd probably go back and express my true outrage after dark, with a brick or two. People just shouldn't be allowed to get away with that sh!t.

Good to hear the hoses were done. If the dipstick tube drain wasn't cleaned out, none of that will matter, especially with sludge like in the pictures. You need to pull the tube and clean it out or replace. Have a new o-ring for the tube handy. Check the wiki for links to procedures and find the part specifically about the drain tube o-ring. It's a little tricky to seat back with the new o-ring.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
Old 01-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Thanks again guys. I did clean the dipstick tube. Is there any advice you could give on pulling the head. I have searched the forum, but couldn't find a how to on it. The hollow cams how hard are they to remove? Looking at this I think I've gotten myself into a big one. I may just pull to oil pan again and clean the head with it off so I can blow out the oil passages. Then try Ahull's method to clean the rings maybe it will slow down the oil consumption for a while.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:25 AM

Pulling the head is probably more trouble than it's worth. I've seen several threads like this where the car runs fine but under the vc like yours is a horror show. Usually the advice is clean out manually and run some cleaning agent in the oil ( ATF, lubro moly, kroil, kreen?). Blowing out the passages is a good idea.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:11 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Cheaper and easier to buy a used motor and drop it in. Removing the head opens you up to all kinds of trouble. Timing the cams is not for the DIY'er IMO and requires special tools that are pricey. I have had good success with Lubro Moly. But for that engine I would try Kreen from Kano Labs. You'll need at least a gallon.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Cheaper and easier to buy a used motor and drop it in. Removing the head opens you up to all kinds of trouble. Timing the cams is not for the DIY'er IMO and requires special tools that are pricey. I have had good success with Lubro Moly. But for that engine I would try Kreen from Kano Labs. You'll need at least a gallon.
How would you recommend he use the Kreen? With the transmission fluid or by itself? Sprayed into the spark plug holes or mixed with oil? Same 250 mile oil change rotation?
Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
How would you recommend he use the Kreen? With the transmission fluid or by itself? Sprayed into the spark plug holes or mixed with oil? Same 250 mile oil change rotation?
I'd put some in the oil and drive the car for couple hundred miles. Change filter and keep driving another couple hundred. Rinse and repeat about 10 times. Then drop the oil pan and clean the sump pickup screen. In an engine that sludged there are risks though. But what does he have to loose?

Quote:
Old 01-20-2014, 04:23 PM

With all of the build up under the valve cover what doesn't make any sense is when I pulled the oil pan to change the gasket there wasn't any build up in it, and the oil filter housing was clean as well. Could something be stopped up not letting the oil drain correctly causing it to burn oil in the head. I noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the oil filler cap when I put oil in it for her today. The car wasn't overheating or anything like that.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:25 PM

Sry for all the questions I have been trying to figure this out for about 2 months now.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
With all of the build up under the valve cover what doesn't make any sense is when I pulled the oil pan to change the gasket there wasn't any build up in it, and the oil filter housing was clean as well. Could something be stopped up not letting the oil drain correctly causing it to burn oil in the head. I noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the oil filler cap when I put oil in it for her today. The car wasn't overheating or anything like that.
A bad CVV certainly might be part of the problem.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: SF Bay Area
Has anyone tried the Kreen?
Old 07-21-2016, 05:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Has anyone tried the Kreen?
What are you trying to do here ? What symptoms are present ? Any codes coming up ?

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-21-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
What are you trying to do here ? What symptoms are present ? Any codes coming up ?
Sorry. Piggybacking on an old thread mentioning Kreen. 2006 X5 3.0. Using oil at 1200 miles per qt. 174000 on the odometer. From what I've read gunk in the oil rings causes the usage. Kreen has been suggested as fix to clear the gunk. CCV recently replaced so know the oil usage is not being caused by that. Wondering if anyone here has tried Kreen to degunk their rings and if it worked.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:37 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty150hs View Post
Sorry. Piggybacking on an old thread mentioning Kreen. 2006 X5 3.0. Using oil at 1200 miles per qt. 174000 on the odometer. From what I've read gunk in the oil rings causes the usage. Kreen has been suggested as fix to clear the gunk. CCV recently replaced so know the oil usage is not being caused by that. Wondering if anyone here has tried Kreen to degunk their rings and if it worked.
Was the dipstick tube thoroughly cleaned out or replaced at the time the CVV was changed ? This is a critical step in the repair, if skipped, it can negate the effectiveness of the new CVV.

Try to locate our (former) Ace mechanic "Smolck"`s thread on freeing up the rings in his engine. It took him a while, but I believe he was pretty successful with the results.

Good luck !

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-22-2016, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Was the dipstick tube thoroughly cleaned out or replaced at the time the CVV was changed ? This is a critical step in the repair, if skipped, it can negate the effectiveness of the new CVV.

Try to locate our (former) Ace mechanic "Smolck"`s thread on freeing up the rings in his engine. It took him a while, but I believe he was pretty successful with the results.

Good luck !
The post by Smolk is where I first saw Kreen mentioned, but it is not the process he used. I'm trying to find out if anyone here has used Kreen.

All hoses were changed and dipstick tube cleaned at time of CCV change. I was burning a quart every 400 miles before the change. It's gone to a quart every 1200 miles after the change. That's still excessive in my mind so I'm thinking I may have gunked up rings as well.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search