Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM
Victor_M

Mein Auto: Saturn :-)
Losing Oil thinking CCV is the culprit

I've done research both here and other sites and I'm getting a couple of conflicting information which is why I started this post.

Any who!

I purchased a 2004 325XiT about three weeks ago (151,000). When I did the PPI the mechanic stated the car is in decent shape. It has some sweating in the Oil pan but nothing to worry about right now. I purchased the car headed right to BMW to do a oil change (they had great special). about 300 miles later (week) my low oil light comes on. Thinking they short changed me, I headed back to them, they top the fluids and confirmed what the PPI said and the only sweating they see is the Oil pan. Now another week and 300 miles later I got the low oil light again.

I'm starting to suspect my CCV is going due to the large amount of oil it's consuming. However this is what I'm seeing
I don't see any oil leaks when I get in the car in the AM
I don't see white smoke at all
I don't get the foghorn when I'm turning off the car or accelerating.
There's is a little suction when I remove the oil cap and place a zip lock over it. The engine is not trying to inhale it.
No Error codes in PA soft.

My question pretty much is.
Is there another way I can confirm that my CCV valve is failing.
If it is failing what's the currently Indi VS Stealership cost to have it replaced. Currently I don't have the space to do this job which is why I'm considering both of those options.
Advertisement
Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Proof ?

Here ya go:
If the CVV is original to the car, it`s failing !

No two ways about it....by now, all the parts & hoses are so brittle and fragile that they will just crumble away in your fingers....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Proof ?

Here ya go:
If the CVV is original to the car, it`s failing !

No two ways about it....by now, all the parts & hoses are so brittle and fragile that they will just crumble away in your fingers....
Thanks for the reply. wondering what the average bill should be for this. I'm probably getting the parts from fcpeuro and have my indi install it. Or should I bite the bullet and have the dealership do it.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:18 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_m View Post
. Or should I bite the bullet and have the dealership do it.
^^^^^^^The equivalent of a 3-fingered prostate exam.....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto:
Iv a similar problem but my mechanic said it could be a cracked ring, symptoms are close to what you've said but I'm told it's something completely different.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean79 View Post
Iv a similar problem but my mechanic said it could be a cracked ring, symptoms are close to what you've said but I'm told it's something completely different.
can you describe more?
Old 06-23-2016, 04:21 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
A compression/leakdown test would help to either confirm or deny that speculation....

Old 06-24-2016, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast bob View Post
^^^^^^^the equivalent of a 3-fingered prostate exam.....

ouch!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto:
OP, changing the CCV is labor-intensive. Figure 4 hours of labor and about $200 in parts. Hopefully the new CCV will fix your problem.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Victor_M

just took her to my Indi....I'm hoping it's the CCV so I can put this thing to bed. Even if it's a bad ring at least I know what I'm in for. I have no problem buying a case of oil if it comes down to it...
Old 06-24-2016, 06:16 AM
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
OP, changing the CCV is labor-intensive. Figure 4 hours of labor and about $200 in parts. Hopefully the new CCV will fix your problem.
Thanks

FCP has it for 100.00 free shipping and tax can't go wrong.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_m View Post
Thanks

FCP has it for 100.00 free shipping and tax can't go wrong.
Because of the time to do this job, you want it done right so you don't have to get in there again soon. Therefore, don't go cheap on this valve. Many of us would just advise a BMW part only. Also, all the related hoses are likely shot, so you should look for a "kit" that comes with all the parts you are likely to need.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto:
Took my car back as the mechanic said it wasn't good news but didn't really say what the problem was other than he thinks it's a cracked ring. Is symptoms the same as ccv or completely different? Is there oil in the exhaust? No oil leaks visible on ground or in the engine, I told the mechanic what iv heard on here about a ccv, he said something about they are only on diesels? Surely that's not right is it?
Old 06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Took my car back as the mechanic said it wasn't good news but didn't really say what the problem was other than he thinks it's a cracked ring. Is symptoms the same as ccv or completely different? Is there oil in the exhaust? No oil leaks visible on ground or in the engine, I told the mechanic what iv heard on here about a ccv, he said something about they are only on diesels? Surely that's not right is it?
Is there something in Post #7 that you`re not understanding ?

Your current mechanic sounds like he`s not very familiar with BMWs, it`s time to look for a new shop !

Old 06-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto:
It's what iv said I took it bk home with me because I don't think much was looked at never mind done, here is a similar problem to myself and I'm going to do what you suggested now and put the compressor through it, if it's not the problem I'm going to look into a ccv n hoses even tho I know nothing about cars. Looking through these threads for advice not criticism but il take it along with your advice.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
Because of the time to do this job, you want it done right so you don't have to get in there again soon. Therefore, don't go cheap on this valve. Many of us would just advise a BMW part only. Also, all the related hoses are likely shot, so you should look for a "kit" that comes with all the parts you are likely to need.
Agree 100% I'm in a rush to find the problem. However, I want to be methodical in fixing it ONCE
Old 06-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Victor_M

Update

My Mechanic and I did a smoke test and confirmed something is leaking near the area of the CCV. Now I'm looking for a good place to get the parts...Might even get a new dipstick tube... Hopefully she should be all sorted by Wednesday/Thursday.

When talking to my mechanic he is still amazed that my exhaust didn't have a wall of white smoke with the amount of oil I'm loosing.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto:
The smoke would be grey. White smoke indicates that the head gasket is bad. The white smoke comes from burning coolant. Black smoke is an indication of an overly rich fuel/air mixture.

Go to www.realoem.com m and enter the last 7 characters of the car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Click on engine and look for Crankcase-Ventilation/oil separator.

Try fcpeuro for parts. The company is in Connecticut. They allow you to choose BMW branded parts or parts made by the parts' original manufacturers. These parts are called "original equipment manufacturer" (OEM) parts. I buy OEM parts.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Victor_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
The smoke would be grey. White smoke indicates that the head gasket is bad. The white smoke comes from burning coolant. Black smoke is an indication of an overly rich fuel/air mixture.

Go to www.realoem.com m and enter the last 7 characters of the car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Click on engine and look for Crankcase-Ventilation/oil separator.

Try fcpeuro for parts. The company is in Connecticut. They allow you to choose BMW branded parts or parts made by the parts' original manufacturers. These parts are called "original equipment manufacturer" (OEM) parts. I buy OEM parts.
Thanks for the tip.

I've been using Realoem since I got the car a couple of weeks ago. this is an invaluable tool.

FCPeuro is my go to store. Free shipping plus no tax is a win in my book. Hopefully I can have an update to the team by the end of the week

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search