Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-19-2015, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330CiC
Still some noise after belt/pulley replacement

Nuts, I hate it when it looks like something is fixed and an issue crops up a couple of days later. Just had the belts/pulleys/tensioner changed on my 06 330. 96k miles. Paid my Indy to do it because I don't have the fan tool and mainly because it's too cold outside.

The crunching and grumbling on cold starts is gone as well as the occasional acceleration whistle. However something odd cropped up. At idle with my foot on the brake, or with the parking brake holding the car while it's in gear, I'm hearing some mild screech/squeal. Only at idle with the transmission loaded up. Slip into neural and it goes away immediately. No noise revving the engine or accelerating. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side.

Thoughts? Bad part or something not adjusted/installed quite right? Scratching my head because I would think it would make noise all the time. I used OEM parts from INA and Continental belts but will unfortunately have to eat the labor if my Indy does it over again and it's a part that's bad.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Could even be the belt slipping if your indy spilled something on a pulley or whatever.
Or need to diagnose by opening the hood and observing. Maybe with stethoscope.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
I had a VERY similar issue with my '04 325xi; turned out to be the water pump bearing going bad. You noted that it seems to be coming from the passenger side, which helps validate that diagnosis.

Agree with the stethoscope suggestion to isolate the noise to be sure, though.

BTW, if you do need to change out the water pump, highly suggest look at the EMP/Stewart WP. Much higher quality than the OEM one, although some say it is overkill. This is about the only aftermarket item that is better than OEM BMW, IMHO.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:42 PM

Could be. The thing that's confusing is that it's ONLY ratting while in gear with my foot on the brake. In neutral, park or accelerating, no noise.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325xi
Ah, OK, got it.

I was going off your original description of the noise as a screech/squeal.

Now that you mention it as a rattling noise, could it be more like an engine mount or transmission mount going bad? Do you feel a vibration/shaking with that "rattling"?
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330 CiC
Same screech/squeal developed on my 2006 330 CIC (all options except Cold Weather pkg) at 32,000 mi when shifted from P to R with foot on brake. BMW dealer replaced belts/pulleys/tensioner under warranty.
At 61,000 mi, same noise has recently redeveloped. Local independent BMW shop recommends replacing complete cooling system ( radiator, waterpump, hoses, temp sensor,etc). Should I have this done?
This shop installed a hard-top kit and control arm bushings at reasonable price relative to BMW dealer. Even let me in their shop to see feel suspension before and after bushings replaced.

Thanks for any input.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvideopro View Post
Could be. The thing that's confusing is that it's ONLY ratting while in gear with my foot on the brake. In neutral, park or accelerating, no noise.
So, that's the lowest RPM that the engine ever sees: some load, but no throttle. That just means that it makes the noise only at that low RPM.

Just to clarify your original description, you mention "tensioner" (singular) was changed. Actually, there are two tensionsers: one for AC belt and one for the longer belt. There is also an idler pulley on the longer belt. Any of these three items can get worn and cause noises. If all three were not replaced, then the old one or two could be the cause.
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Still some noise after belt/pulley replacement

OP here. I have a diagnosis to my problem, and I hope I can help others with a similar rattle. I freely admit I added 2+2 and got 5. The noise had nothing to do with the belts and pulleys. BTW, if I was unclear, I did have everything replaced: 2 belts, mechanical tensioner, idler pulley and the hydraulic tensioner pulley. (Older cars may have 2 mechanical tensioners)

The noise is an exhaust manifold heat shield that is rattling. And it only rattles in gear at the lowest rpm (5-600) when the car is fully warmed up with my foot on the brake. Increasing rpm just a tiny bit makes the noise go away.

Fixing the problem is another story. BMW in its wisdom sandwiched the heat shield mount between the block and exhaust manifold, so to replace requires completely removing the manifolds! $100 in parts and 5 hours labor at my indy mechanic for a total of $600. Needless to say I'm not spending that on a rattle. Someone on e46 fanatics used an adhesive heat shield tape ($11) and solved a similar problem so that's the direction I'm headed. I may try bending it a bit too but I'm just as likely to make it worse as better.

Last edited by jimvideopro; Yesterday at 07:44 PM.
Old Today, 01:08 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Post best pic you can take of the area, and maybe we can return some creative fix ideas.
Old Today, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimvideopro View Post
OP here. I have a diagnosis to my problem, and I hope I can help others with a similar rattle. I freely admit I added 2+2 and got 5. The noise had nothing to do with the belts and pulleys. BTW, if I was unclear, I did have everything replaced: 2 belts, mechanical tensioner, idler pulley and the hydraulic tensioner pulley. (Older cars may have 2 mechanical tensioners)

The noise is an exhaust manifold heat shield that is rattling. And it only rattles in gear at the lowest rpm (5-600) when the car is fully warmed up with my foot on the brake. Increasing rpm just a tiny bit makes the noise go away.

Fixing the problem is another story. BMW in its wisdom sandwiched the heat shield mount between the block and exhaust manifold, so to replace requires completely removing the manifolds! $100 in parts and 5 hours labor at my indy mechanic for a total of $600. Needless to say I'm not spending that on a rattle. Someone on e46 fanatics used an adhesive heat shield tape ($11) and solved a similar problem so that's the direction I'm headed. I may try bending it a bit too but I'm just as likely to make it worse as better.
If it really bothers you and you don't want to fix it properly just break it off.

Personally, I would take the time to replace it.