Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sport/Premium/A
Carsoft Review

I bought a Carsoft interface through ebay and was not holding my breath after reading about other's problems with getting the software to work. However, I must say that I have been very impressed with how well everything has worked. My SES light had come on for a few days about 3 weeks ago. The light turned itself off and the car is running great. I went ahead and ran a "full diagnostic" with carsoft and it identified 4 errors eventhough the light was already off. I had two "system too rich" codes and and EGS and Airbag fuse code. I have no idea on the airbag because the airbag light is not on but who knows how long the code may have been in there. The EGS is supposed to be related to "electronic transmission control" but my car is a 5 speed so . Anyway....I cleared the codes and then ran the diagnostic again and everything was clear. I also programmed the doors to automatically lock when driving. I then reset the service interval and the oil service mileage. I finally reset all of the adaptations just for the heck of it! The software and the interface worked great. I used two different laptops with no problems and all of the code descriptions are in English. I was considering this or the peake tool and am glad I got this instead. It read all the BMW codes, not just OBDII and was able to read from module that the Peake tool can't access (airbag, etc.). It also cleared the adaptations and did some programming of functions that you can't do with the Peake. It's cheaper to boot! I paid $112.00 with shipping. Overall I am very satisfied with the purchase. The only disappointment was the lack of other programming options. I was hoping to be able to set the DRLs but that option was not included.

If anyone has any questions on the specifics, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Todd
Ads by Google
Old 01-08-2009, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
Do you know if it's able to reset SRS lights?
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 01-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Fitness Freak {}=={}

Mein Auto: Lexus SC turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarm View Post
Yes.

^ Highway Beast ^
SC300
2JZGE NA-T
Old 01-09-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarm View Post

I can't confirm that this feature works because my 'SRS' light was not on. However, it does have the option in the menus to clear the fault codes for the SRS module so I can only assume it works. It did clear the airbag fuse code that was stored in the memory but my light was not on so I can't confirm that it works. Please understand that I believe that it will reset the light but you won't ever find me saying "yes, it works" if I have not confirmed it myself.

Todd
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Can you read trans codes?

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Can you read trans codes?
As far as I know can. It scans all the modules in the car and runs diagnostics on each. My car is not an automatic so I can't verify that function.

Todd
Old 01-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Fitness Freak {}=={}

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddkageals View Post
I bought a Carsoft interface through ebay and was not holding my breath after reading about other's problems with getting the software to work. However, I must say that I have been very impressed with how well everything has worked. My SES light had come on for a few days about 3 weeks ago. The light turned itself off and the car is running great. I went ahead and ran a "full diagnostic" with carsoft and it identified 4 errors eventhough the light was already off. I had two "system too rich" codes and and EGS and Airbag fuse code. I have no idea on the airbag because the airbag light is not on but who knows how long the code may have been in there. The EGS is supposed to be related to "electronic transmission control" but my car is a 5 speed so . Anyway....I cleared the codes and then ran the diagnostic again and everything was clear. I also programmed the doors to automatically lock when driving. I then reset the service interval and the oil service mileage. I finally reset all of the adaptations just for the heck of it! The software and the interface worked great. I used two different laptops with no problems and all of the code descriptions are in English. I was considering this or the peake tool and am glad I got this instead. It read all the BMW codes, not just OBDII and was able to read from module that the Peake tool can't access (airbag, etc.). It also cleared the adaptations and did some programming of functions that you can't do with the Peake. It's cheaper to boot! I paid $112.00 with shipping. Overall I am very satisfied with the purchase. The only disappointment was the lack of other programming options. I was hoping to be able to set the DRLs but that option was not included.

Todd
I want to buy carsoft some time soon. I was wondering why you can't program DRL off or on?

^ Highway Beast ^
SC300
2JZGE NA-T
Old 01-09-2009, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 330I ray ray ray...
if anyone wants it they can have mine for $70 shipped.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
What version of Carsoft are we talking about?
6.5 is the most recent I've seen on ebay but the Carswoft site has version 7.3 as their current.
Are their new capabilities in 7.3 or just updates to include more current models?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Check twice, fix once...

Mein Auto: 540it 533i 318ic 325i
Quote:
I bought a Carsoft interface through ebay and was not holding my breath after reading about other's problems with getting the software to work.

Todd

Hi Todd! Was the Carsoft Interface you bought from Carsoft or another supplier? What config of Laptop are you using? Min requirements... Are the menus in english? I saw you said the codes were in english.

Do you know if it will reprogram things like Key memory options or headlight running options? (These have to be reprogrammed currently at a dealer or Indy) Thanks!

1999 540it - Jet Black/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Zionsville Cooling kit
1984 533i - Schwarz/Schwarz, 17" style 65 reps
1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 68 rims
1995 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 27 rims
1994 325i Sedan - Bostongrau/Tan
1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff
1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold
1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 330I ray ray ray...
i have 6.5 working, as far as i know ver 7 is not out on the net for us yet, mine comes with cables, interface (everything).

thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Fitness Freak {}=={}

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
i have 6.5 working, as far as i know ver 7 is not out on the net for us yet, mine comes with cables, interface (everything).

thanks
Check your pm.

^ Highway Beast ^
SC300
2JZGE NA-T
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
Hi Todd! Was the Carsoft Interface you bought from Carsoft or another supplier? What config of Laptop are you using? Min requirements... Are the menus in english? I saw you said the codes were in english.

Do you know if it will reprogram things like Key memory options or headlight running options? (These have to be reprogrammed currently at a dealer or Indy) Thanks!
The interface came from Ebay so I am quite sure it's not from Carsoft! I'm using an old Thinkpad. I don't even know all the specs but I think it's 850mhz with 256mb ram. Carsoft does NOT seem to need a fast computer to work. The menus are in English as well as the codes. The only programming I was able to do was for "selective locking" and "auto locking". The only other things that I could find that it has options for had to do with things like setting it to display metric measurements, etc. . I can't see that 6.5 has options to program other features like DRLs, etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
The interface came from Ebay so I am quite sure it's not from Carsoft! I'm using an old Thinkpad. I don't even know all the specs but I think it's 850mhz with 256mb ram. Carsoft does NOT seem to need a fast computer to work. The menus are in English as well as the codes. The only programming I was able to do was for "selective locking" and "auto locking". The only other things that I could find that it has options for had to do with things like setting it to display metric measurements, etc. . I can't see that 6.5 has options to program other features like DRLs, etc.
Todd, just to make sure that I am clear on it, is 6.5 what you have?
Old 01-10-2009, 07:12 PM

Yes, 6.5 is what I have.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
The only programming I was able to do was for "selective locking" and "auto locking".
Many people would like it if Carsoft 6.5 would set doors to unlock as noted in this thread ...
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-18-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
For $50, I just bought the Carsoft 6.5 off of Ebay and posted what it says it can unlock in this thread ...

If you get that to work with an E46, please let me know. I only had a few options when that car is selected. I'm guessing it can do different things on different cars.

Todd
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing it can do different things on different cars.
This post shows what Carsoft 6.5 is advertised to do on the various BMWs.

Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-18-2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
B +

Mein Auto: 05 E46 ZHP 6MT
I read that 6.5 is only compatible with vehicles manufactured thru 2004...

I have a 2005 E46, with a manufacture date of 12/2004.

Anybody know if 6.5 would be compatible with my car ?

And can you buy the cables separately anywhere ?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:36 PM

For the record, according to this thread, apparently Carsoft 6.5 can reset the SRS airbag light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencercat View Post
I've used carsoft 6.5 to read and clear codes from my SRS. Are you connecting to the plug in the engine compartment or under the drivers dash?