Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 03-08-2002, 12:33 AM
The Corruptor

Mein Auto: ACS 323i
Thinking about ordering some Zaino..................

What should I put in the shopping cart? or should I go with something else? Meguiars has always worked great for me. P21S maybe?

Keeping in mind I'll be coming out of winter w/o a REALLY good cleaning on the paint. Clay Bar or no? It's obviously a black car (from my sig) and may be in a few shows this year. I want the finish to look sweet.

What does everyone recommend?

Also with Zaino, how should I proceed using it? General steps from start to finish? (no pun intended)
Old 03-08-2002, 12:40 AM
Crazy Canadian

Mein Auto: '01 M Roadster
No zaino clem!

P21S!

oh and I would claybar if I were you(I am.)
Old 03-08-2002, 04:00 AM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
If you are in doubt, using a clay bar would be the wise thing to do. Think of it this way, if you don't clean the paint first you will be rubbing the contaminents into the paint and sealing them to possibly cause further damage. I've never owned a car where there are actually 4 seasons so I don't know how cars come out of a real winter. Personally I clay my cars about once annually anyway.

If you decide to clay your car, make sure you use a quality clay product and follow the directions to the last letter! I know this has been stated many times here, but I don't think it can be said enough. I have seen results of using cheap clay (scratches), and I have personally experienced what can happen if you don't follow the directions.

I have used the Mother's Clay Bar (three times) and Meguiar's Overspray Clay (many times), and I personally prefer the Meguiar's product because the clay seems more refined and tends to last longer. The problem with Meguiar's Overspray Clay is that it isn't as easily had unless you buy it online or you have a good paint shop nearby (I get it at Senik Paint in Costa Mesa, Calif.).

I do not recommend using water as the lubricant. Superior results can be had by using a product such as Meguiar's Final Inspection (#34) instead. You will definately feel the difference when you are using the clay. Again, use what the instructions recommend. If the product only recommends water as the lubricant, I'd look for a different product.

As an aside, most clays get sticky (in a weird way) when you're applying them and stick to your hands pretty bad. As you might suspect, latex gloves really don't help unless you can change them frequently. Instead, lubricate your hand(s) periodically with the lubricant you are using on the paint as you are working. This makes the whole experience a whole lot better better IMHO.

Now hopefully I can finally fall asleep. 4am here and I have to be up in two hours. Yikes!

Good luck!
--SONET
Old 03-08-2002, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Re: Thinking about ordering some Zaino..................

Quote:
Originally posted by Clem
What should I put in the shopping cart? or should I go with something else? Meguiars has always worked great for me. P21S maybe?
Zaino is great stuff, but from what I hear about P21S and Griots products, if you want to go with the carnuba, you can't go wrong with those.
Quote:
Also with Zaino, how should I proceed using it? General steps from start to finish? (no pun intended)
Here's my tips. It's not as complicated as it sounds, but it is a little different from carnuba. If you don't get Z1 and go with ZFX, you can skip the Z1 step entirely and just mix ZFX with either Z2 or Z5 and go from there.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Start with Zaino claybar and Z6 to lubricate it. Then apply a coat of Z1 followed by Z2 and finalize with Z6. You'll love it and it's really not as difficult/time consuming as people say...... The drying time of the Z2 is a good excuse to sit back and drink a beer.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 Vectra/04 VW PolO
Re: Thinking about ordering some Zaino..................

Quote:
Originally posted by Clem

Keeping in mind I'll be coming out of winter w/o a REALLY good cleaning on the paint. Clay Bar or no? It's obviously a black car (from my sig) and may be in a few shows this year. I want the finish to look sweet.

What does everyone recommend?

Hey Clem,

I'm sure Al provided you all the info you need, but you have to get Z1 (unless you get ZFX, which I highly recommend), Z2, Z5, and Z6. That should take good care of your baby :thumb:

I would definitely clay that baby.
Old 03-08-2002, 11:10 AM
Where am I?

Send a message via AIM to Imola Ed
Mein Auto: Imola Red M3
Re: Re: Thinking about ordering some Zaino..................

Quote:
Originally posted by ALEX325i
I'm sure Al provided you all the info you need, but you have to get Z1 (unless you get ZFX, which I highly recommend), Z2, Z5, and Z6. That should take good care of your baby
So you've used the ZFX? How is it? Mine's on the way...

alee, have you used your new drug lab yet as well?

Edit: whoops. Nevermind. Just saw alee's post. Lemme go look...