Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Check twice, fix once...

Mein Auto: 540it 533i 318ic 325i
E39 Diagnostic Tool: Peake vs. Carsoft vs. ?

I'm looking for a home diagnostic tool for my BMW E39 automotive use. Just read a great post on one and did not want to hijack his post with my question. I searched and read posts for both Peake and Carsoft tools. While it is easy enough to find specific posts for each tool, I did not find a comparasion post between the products.

I'm thinking budget of $250 without a laptop (I have those) must read codes, (the more the better), must reset indicators (the more the better) and a plus would be the ability to reprogram factory options, (Headlight, keys options, locking) that currently must be done at an Indy or BMW dealer. Using the tool for other vehicles is a plus, but must not sacrifice functions for our BMWs. English language menus and responses I'd say are also required.

If you comment on the Carsoft tool, could you please include which version of software you are using, if you are using the Interface cables/unit from Carsoft or some other vendor and if you are using USB please.

State what you like/dislike about the tool. If you like, state what you paid and where. I suspect there are other folks on the forum that are or will be interested in your informational responses. I'm asking the UK dudes as well for their experiences.

http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33350

Thanks!

1999 540it - Jet Black/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Zionsville Cooling kit
1984 533i - Schwarz/Schwarz, 17" style 65 reps
1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 68 rims
1995 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 27 rims
1994 325i Sedan - Bostongrau/Tan
1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff
1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold
1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

BMWCCA# 160411

Last edited by BlackBMWs; 01-10-2009 at 10:09 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RB20 S13/ 1997 540i/6
subscribed!
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM
it's NOT old man gray...

Mein Auto: 528it, 5M, born 7/2000
plug for autoenginuity's scantool. real company, real product, real support if necessary.

reads and sets bits, ie you can open your sunroof from your laptop, which is useful if you think a switch is dead. I was able to see the actual wheel speeds for each wheel, so I know that my abs module is dead, not a wheel speed sensor or any wiring between. lots of in-depth info like that.

that said, it doesn't program new modules or reprogram settings like daytime running lights, what your remote does, auto windows up, etc. They're a real american company and probably don't want to be sued.

make sure you get the bmw extensions. otherwise it's just a good obdII reader.

I also got a peake reader as a hand-me-down, and it's much more handy for a simple oil change / service reset.

Wife's: 325iT/5M; Premium, Cold Weather,
Stereo that doesn't suck, Xenons, Sport Package, ZHP shift knob, PDC, DSC still working.

'88 R100GS - and yeah, it's been offroad

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 01-15-2009, 10:49 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatstone View Post
plug for autoenginuity's scantool. real company, real product, real support if necessary.

reads and sets bits, ie you can open your sunroof from your laptop, which is useful if you think a switch is dead. I was able to see the actual wheel speeds for each wheel, so I know that my abs module is dead, not a wheel speed sensor or any wiring between. lots of in-depth info like that.

that said, it doesn't program new modules or reprogram settings like daytime running lights, what your remote does, auto windows up, etc. They're a real american company and probably don't want to be sued.

make sure you get the bmw extensions. otherwise it's just a good obdII reader.

I also got a peake reader as a hand-me-down, and it's much more handy for a simple oil change / service reset.
What's interesting about this, is that the autoenginuity program can also be loaded to a pocket PC. I have a few lying around and just for kicks, I might see if I can get it loaded on a larger IPaq I have for a "handheld unit"

I did pick up some ebay cables to try out the Carsoft tool on an laptop. I found a number of threads on the topic and figured I'd give this a try and get smart enough to figure out if I need anything more intense than it.

Pocket PC version ups the cool factor though... Thanks for the feedback... I'll share how this sets up and works for me later...

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 99' 528i
I'm thinking of getting the ebay Carsoft software and tools. Please let us know how it works.
'84 318i
Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Tell me when you find an OBD scanner that can set the doors to not lock!

I also pine for a combination diagnostic OBDII scan code reader and a tool to set my E39 so that the doors don't lock automatically at 5mph.
If you find one, let me know.
The most promising one I found, albeit expensive, is one that you plug into your OBD II port above your driver side left knee and transmits by WiFi real-time diagnostic data (e.g., ignition timing advance, engine characteristic, fuel consumption, etc.) to your iPod touch.

Since I already have an iPod permanently installed in my E39, I would like to use it as a diagnostic tool (especially to see exactly what happens to timing under load with various AKI grades of fuels). But I don't think this WiFi diagnostic setup actively sets the doors to not lock.

If you find anything that does two of the three below, let me know!
1. Reads & resets diagnostic codes
2. Reads & displays real-time engine data
3. Sets and resets door-lock settings
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_rev.jpg
Views:	5910
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	173512  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-17-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I also pine for a combination diagnostic OBDII scan code reader and a tool to set my E39 so that the doors don't lock automatically at 5mph.
If you find one, let me know.
The most promising one I found, albeit expensive, is one that you plug into your OBD II port above your right knee and transmits by WiFi real-time diagnostic data (e.g., ignition timing advance, engine characteristic, fuel consumption, etc.) to your iPod touch.

Since I already have an iPod permanently installed in my E39, I would like to use it as a diagnostic tool (especially to see exactly what happens to timing under load with various AKI grades of fuels). But I don't think this WiFi diagnostic setup actively sets the doors to not lock.

If you find anything that does two of the three below, let me know!
1. Reads & resets diagnostic codes
2. Reads & displays real-time engine data
3. Sets and resets door-lock settings
Hi Donna!

Just got the cables and Carsoft software in yesterday and got it all installed on an $84 IBM Thinkpad I picked up off of eBay. I'll post some pics and impressions this weekend when I get a chance to plug in confirm what it will do.

If it all works, what I'm really liking about this configuration is that not only do I have an OBD II/E39 specific monitor/reset tool, but it also has the TIS, ETK and parts applications on it and has a wireless connection to online reference DB or to send messages to you all.

Also, I can tether it to my phone so I can be mobile and still see the forums in a pinch. 12v power from the car help it run longer too.

Not the ultimate tool, but a nice swiss army knife for the DIYs...

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
I'll post some pics and impressions this weekend when I get a chance to plug in confirm what it will do.
I wonder if it does "real time diagnostics" like timing??????

I'd love to see what's happening to my ignition timing when I put the lower-octane (87AKI USA, i.e., the average of the RON + MON) versus the slower burning fuel (89 AKI USA) versus the most knock-resistant high activation-energy slowest-burning benzene-based fuel available to me out here in California (92 AKI USA).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e39_knock_sensor.gif
Views:	5463
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	173522  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Rev is definitely on my shopping list.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 PM

What does the Peake or Carsoft do that the basic OBD2 scan tool doesn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis530i View Post
Rev is definitely on my shopping list.
The "Rev" appears appreciably different than anything else 'cuz it gives real-time engine information while driving (e.g., ignition timing under load).

But, I'm confused as to what the Peake or Carsoft does that your basic AutoZone OBDII scanner doesn't do....

What does the Peake or Carsoft do that the basic OBD2 scan tool doesn't?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	obd.gif
Views:	6069
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	173553  
Old 01-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Stimulus Package

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
I believe that some of these readers you can find at Autozone or wherever are not compatible with BMWs.
2002 530i | Black/sand | Rondell Style 81s: 18x8.5 Front 18x10 Rear | Koni FSD | Eibach Pro-Kit | Zimmerman X-Drilled Rotors | Axxis Deluxe+ Brake Pads | StopTech SS Brake Lines | 50w 6000k Xenon Lows/LED Fogs/Phillips Luxeon LED DRLs | Angel i Brights v3.0 | Solaris Invisibulbs | Shadowline Trim | ///M5 Trunk Lip Spoiler | 35% Madico Tint | Dynavin D99+ ///M3Evolution | Backup camera | Intake Muffler, Front Plate, Badge & Cup/Coinholder Delete | Klasse AIO+SG
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Check twice, fix once...

So this evening, instead of installing my rear shocks, I had a chance to test out my Carsoft 6.5.06 software on my 1999 540it.

I wanted a OBDII compliant reader and the ability to reset codes. I wanted to be able to read live data as well. I wanted to spend less than $250 US and though it would be cool if it could do more than just be a code reader.

As such, I decided to set up another garage tool via a laptop running Carsoft and various other reference applications.

I'm jotting down more details than some may need, but a few other folks had questions like I did.

I purchased:
An IBM T23 laptop with 512mb from eBay. I installed a copy of Windows 2000 SP4. I chose this configuration as it was CHEAP and came with a serial port needed for Carsoft 6.5.06. Actually, I used one of these every day and know they were fairly durable. Good for the garage, so I wouldn't have to worry about banging it around. $86 US plus shipping. It came with a DVD player and AC power supply. I added a removable 2nd battery in place of the DVD to permit about 4 hours of total runtime away from an outlet.

An set of interface cables from China and 6.5 software from eBay. It included two diagnostic port cables and a serial cable to connect to the Laptop. There is an interface that goes in-between the cables. <$50 shipped.

A neoprene slip case to not only protect the laptop, but protect it and the engine cover when I set the laptop up away from my garage, on top of my plastic engine cover. $16

I had:
A copy of Win 2000, SP4. I used it as it uses less memory than XP and has more than enough performance for Carsoft.

A Linksys N wireless card for connecting to my network.

There are two cables, one for the 20 pin connector on the passenger side aft of the airbox. The second cable is to pull data from the OBDII connector under the lower drivers side connector. This evening, I connected to and ran full diagnosis from the 20 pin connector.

A Targus AC/DC power supply to connect wherever.

A soft laptop carrying case for all the pieces.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I won't go into all the tests, but I will mention that I was able to run a general retrieve of all stored codes.

I was able to run some more specific retrieves on supported modules and erase status codes

Observe some live engine and switch data. All live data was done at engine idle. Went from cold to 109c operating temperature.

I found where you could roll windows up/down, lock doors and set preferences for locking the central locking system.

It will reset the service intervals as well. (I had none to reset...)

I'll try the OBDII connector a different day. I'll likely use it from inside the car to observe engine activity when underway. (I'll have someone else drive... )

What's cool is that the laptop has the TIS and ETK reference application to read the CD's I picked up from eBay as well.

So Donna...

1. It does read and reset individual module codes
2. It does read live data
3. It will allow you to set the option if your doors lock after you start moving or not.

It just won't do it on your iPod touch... It was less than $200 for me though. laptop included.

Thanks to DavidMC in Australia for making an easy install for many folks. Installed on first try with your terrific instructions... Anyone really wanting more information on Carsoft installs can read this post.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=952429

Enjoy!

BMWCCA# 160411

Last edited by BlackBMWs; 02-01-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Great post! One question: Are you saying that the TIS/ETK comes as part of the Carsoft software, a part of it (some type of condensed version), or did you also already have or purchase the TIS/ETK? I've got an older version. Will that work?

Thanks!!
'84 318i
Old 02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmack1 View Post
Great post! One question: Are you saying that the TIS/ETK comes as part of the Carsoft software, a part of it (some type of condensed version), or did you also already have or purchase the TIS/ETK? I've got an older version. Will that work?

Thanks!!
Hi Craig! I already had the TIS/ETK cds and applications along with other parts references. I just consolidated them on to what is now my garage Laptop.

Update: I found a webcam that was optional for this IBM laptop on eBay for .99 cents. Now I can capture what I may need to directly to the hard drive... Sweet!

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 02-01-2009, 12:30 PM

No. Don't stop. Keep providing details. This is WONDROUS!

Quote:
I purchased ... IBM T23 laptop ... Windows 2000 SP4 ... Carsoft 6.5.06 from EBay ... interface cables from China ... Linksys N wireless card ...
Why do you need the Linksys card? To print?

Quote:
I connected to and ran full diagnosis from the 20 pin connector.
Do you think real-time while-driving (with different fuels) ignition timing can be gotten from the more convenient cabin OBDII port instead of the engine diagnostics port?

Quote:
ignition angle 8.2 KW
Is this ignition timing? I would have expected it in degrees before top-dead center.

Quote:
I found where you could roll windows up/down, lock doors and set preferences for locking the central locking system.
OMG!

Do you think it can disable the door-unlock horn also?
I
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	5512
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	173679  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-18-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Hey Blue,

I don't think this is a joke like that other post you got caught up in. If it is, I guess I will be getting caught like you because I'm gonna order the ebay stuff too!
'84 318i
Old 02-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Hey BlackBMWs,

New questions:
1- Can you post the ebay seller?
I see some that say cables AND software.
2- Is that what you did or did you get the software and cables separately?
'84 318i
Old 02-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Used and Abused

Mein Auto: 6.0 GMC Slow Mobile
I own the car soft also and I see where you can choose the lock option but that window up with remote option is not in there.

2009 G8 GXP (SOLD)

2005 G35 (SOLD)

2003 540I SPORT --- BLEW UP! Redlining is a lot worse then I thought.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali (SOLD BUT STILL USE IT)

ON THE HUNT FOR A...G8 GT MAYBE?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:04 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Hey BlackBMWs,

New questions:
1- Can you post the ebay seller?
I see some that say cables AND software.
2- Is that what you did or did you get the software and cables separately?

$49.98 shipped. The shipping was more than the cables. It came with Carsoft 6.5, but read the Bimmerforums thread for better install instructions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

BMWCCA# 160411

Last edited by BlackBMWs; 02-01-2009 at 11:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Hey Blue,

I don't think this is a joke like that other post you got caught up in. If it is, I guess I will be getting caught like you because I'm gonna order the ebay stuff too!
No joke, it works for me as depicted. I wouldn't fool you all.

BTW, what was the joke?

BMWCCA# 160411

Last edited by BlackBMWs; 02-01-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
No. Don't stop. Keep providing details. This is WONDROUS!

I think I'll get all the same equipment so I can reproduce your effort
1. IBM T23 laptop running Win2K (from Ebay)
2. Carsoft 6.5.06 (from Ebay)
3. Cabin OBDII half cable (from China?)
4. Engine diagnostic port 20-pin half cable (from China?)
5. PC serial port half cable (from China?)
6. Interface connector between the two half cables (from China?)
7. Linksys N wireless card
8. A targus power supply to run off the BMW

Why do you need the Linksys card? To print?

Do you think real-time while-driving (with different fuels) ignition timing can be gotten from the more convenient cabin OBDII port instead of the engine diagnostics port?

Is this ignition timing? I would have expected it in degrees before top-dead center.
Donna, I purchased the IBM T23 Thinkpad laptop from eBay vendor antemjd. (For $86, not $84, oops) It came with 512MB memory, a 20 gig hard drive, an AC power supply and a DVD ROM player. I have a 250 GB hard drive I will put in sometime this week.

I had a copy of W2k so I did not have to purchase a license. The Laptop comes licensed for Win XP pro. I used W2k as it was less resource hungry. I may migrate to XP with more memory.

BTW, 2nd ultrabay Li-ion battery, 9-20 bucks on eBay.

The cables, Interface and Carsoft all came as on package from socoolseller98. $19.99 plus $29.99 shipping. Total $49.98

Linksys network card? To talk with all of you, of course. And yes, to print if needed.

BTW, I just found an OEM webcam for the same laptop to capture tech sessions or burnouts directly to my hard drive. I will anticipate I can snap a photo and post from the same laptop. Nothing advanced here, just a single package now with a big harddrive.

As far as your ignition questions, haven't gotten that far yet. I'd love a detailed users manual...

Enjoy!

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinZul View Post
I own the car soft also and I see where you can choose the lock option but that window up with remote option is not in there.
VinZul, that version of Carsoft are you running? I'm running 6.5.06.

In 6.5.06, there is an option under special functions that permit me on my 1999 540it to activate different simple functions. ZKE /ZVM Component Activation

I forgot to take a picture of the component activation screen, but did have a chance to mess with the windows and door locks. Raise/lower each individual window, lock/unlock drivers, rear hatch all separately.

I just started up Carsoft to take a picture of the screen, but since it's not hooked to the car, it dosen't what modules it can manipulate. I'll connect to the car tomorrow, snap a pic and post it. This functionality would help diagnose, say a bad window switch or malfunctioning door lock.

The only reprogramming function I ran accross in my 30 min of messing with Carsoft was the ability to determine if selective locking was selected and also if the door lock would self lock once the car was underway. (See bottom two options on the below screen)

Now different cars have different revs of modules and firmware, so Carsoft may behaive differently with different cars and production years.

Now, I have a set of cables being sent to try out Ediabas INPA, another BMW software tool. I will also install this on the laptop to have access to more advanced control. Gotta do more reading on what the differences are between Carsoft and Ediabas...

I'll post probably in about two weeks when the cables and software arrive.

BMWCCA# 160411

Last edited by BlackBMWs; 02-01-2009 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:36 AM
Used and Abused

Mein Auto: 6.0 GMC Slow Mobile
well i got the same kit you go from ebay and its the same version I will have to dig deeper I guess.

I also have the g1 software but know clue what cable I need. another member on this forum turned me to a site where they discuses software for cars and such all bmw's I think. I will need to talk to them more about that I guess.

using torrentz I download tons of bimmer software, just no cables to use other then carsoft and a usb to ob2. I need a com to ob2 and test that with the g1

2009 G8 GXP (SOLD)

2005 G35 (SOLD)

2003 540I SPORT --- BLEW UP! Redlining is a lot worse then I thought.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali (SOLD BUT STILL USE IT)

ON THE HUNT FOR A...G8 GT MAYBE?

Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to scushkadee
Mein Auto: car
This is so cool!
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinZul View Post
Vinzul, Here's the screen in Carsoft that permits testing of the windows and door locks. 1999 540it. Arrggh, that's fuzzy. I'll take another one when I hook up again.

BMWCCA# 160411