Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
Good luck with your horrible situation. Keep us informed.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 330i, 2007 335i
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2 TRBL View Post
Wow what a horrible car buying experience. Sorry to hear about your issues with the dealership! I've had the purchase of a new car (Mazda) marred by a poor delivery. Luckily, my frustration was countered by a very skillful GM who was able to recognize that his dealership did wrong and he made me a very happy buyer with an apology and some freebies.

I am hopeful you can come to a resolution with the dealer, as it sounds like you really want the car. I'm not trying to be critical, but I'd suggest changing your approach to maximize the likliehood of success.

- Your complaint letters are entirely too long and detailed. I enjoyed reading it, and it probably works well as a review on a message board, but it's not direct enough to be a successful complaint letter. You need to focus on what are the core complaints, and leave out the details/timeline. It sounds like your core complaints are 1.) The car had a major issue at delivery, and you question the legitimacy of it's CPO 2.) The dealership employees were condescending and unappreciative of your business during your purchase 3.) The sales staff did not have proper training on showing you the features of your new car during the delivery process. Leave out the credit check issue (most likely you signed something giving them authority), the fact that you don't like the new M3, the slowness in crediting your credit card, the missing floormats, and the negotiation process. You can bring these up in a phone conversation, but in a letter, they dilute the strength of your primary complaints.

- Second, you need to establish a remedy for your complaints. You can simply say "I am interested in purchasing this vehicle and would like you to call me so that we can collaborate on a resolution to my complaints", or you can identify what you are seeking. For your example, a resolution to the first complaint is perhaps a third-party inspection paid for by BMW, for problems 2 & 3, maybe all you want is an apology and for BMW to note your complaint about the attitude and aptitude of these employees. It also never hurts to ask for some freebies or a price reduction due to the time and aggravation to which you have been subjected.

- Third, move up the ladder slowly. Sending this letter to 50 people in the BMW organization who lack the ability to help you can possibly make some of those that can help you act defensive. A concise and polite letter to the general manager and perhaps BMWNA customer relations would probably have greater success than sending it to the BMW board of directors. Posting your story up on the messageboard is valid, as I and other members appreciate your review, but claiming the car is a lemon may be overkill.

- Lastly, have a BATNA (Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement) in mind when working for a resolution. If you can't come to an agreement, will you move further up the ladder with your comlaints or will you go to another dealer and wait for another used car at another dealer?

I hope you have a successful resolution to this issue. I am hoping you'll be able to overcome these obstacles and be driving your M3 (and posting pictures) in a few short days.

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for taking the time to read my letter. You feedback has been great.

I was so disappointed with this experience that the best way for me to get the frustration out was by writing this letter.

I've been looking around for another car, and hopefully I'll find it soon.

Given that an automatic M3 is so hard to find I test drove a 335i coupe yesterday. Talk about a great car! When I was behind the wheel I was reminded of why I love BMW's so much.

If I don't find an M3 w SMG soon, then you may see me in a new 335. Fingers crossed!

And to the person who gave the excellent critique of my letter - a special thank you. If I had to do it again, I would follow a lot of your advice.

Thanks Again! ~Nadina
Old 01-12-2009, 03:59 PM
F e s t S p o n s o r

Mein Auto: 2010 X5
No customer should be treated in such a manner. True there is always two sides. And this is only one.
No person should go through such a ordeal regardless..
Time for sure to pick a different Dealership.
Best of luck and I'm sure you will find that CA that will give you the proper
BMW experience.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnadina View Post
Hi,
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

What happened was WRONG. Peter Pan BMW almost got away with selling me a car that wasn't properly certified. And I was lucky enough to get out of the mess without any major loss.

I'll keep looking and hopefully will come up with something that I love, and at a price that makes sense.
As I said, it is possible that the car broke when you went to pick it up. It does happen. Do you know what the diagnosis was? Would suck if it was something simple like a belt pulley that went south. Easy fix and you would have had the car you wanted. ( I see in a post above that a diagnosis was made and corrected. This is one reason to purchase a vehicle with a warranty)

As for the CPO certs, they have a checklist they follow. They should have caught the tools. My dealer missed the tools on mine also and I did not see this for 6 months. I guess I could go back and bitch but the important stuff is there. I don't really care that the junk spark plug wrench and a pair of pliers is missing. Here is a link to the CPO checklist.
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shoppi...inspection.pdf

Last edited by gtxragtop; 01-12-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '09 E92 M3, '03 330i ZSP
Wow, that is terrible! I'm sorry you had to go through that experience and I hope you find your car soon. The 335 is a great car also but don't give up on finding the right M3. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Nadina,
I have read your complete blog and can understand your fraustration.

I understand the need to "get the word out" but please respect the rules of the forums.

In your quest to get the word out, you have violated the bimmerfest Term of Use by cross posting.

All but one of your theads will be eliminated and you will be given infraction as of result. In the future please abide by the rules of the site.

Thank you!

beewang
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Bored

Mein Auto: BMW E93 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnadina View Post
Hi,
Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

I agree that every side has two stories.
However, the letter that I wrote very accurately reflects what happened that day.
I joined Bimmerfest a while back when I first started buying BMW's (2000), but I haven't been an active member. Since I haven't used the site in some time I needed to create a new user account. I realize that some may not feel my contributions to the site aren't as valid since my activity level is low. However, it does not take away from the fact that I was treated very poorly.

I was excited on the day I was supposed to pick up my M3. It's a car that I've wanted for a very long time. To have the experience turn out the way it did was one of the more disappointing experiences I've had in quite some time.

I'm sorry that some people on the forums feel the need to attack posters because they are not frequent posters, but I will not apologize for standing up for myself and giving my story a voice.

What happened was WRONG. Peter Pan BMW almost got away with selling me a car that wasn't properly certified. And I was lucky enough to get out of the mess without any major loss.

I am still in the market for an M3, but am now also considering a 335i coupe.

I test drove a 2008 (new) 335 yesterday and the feeling that I got behind the wheel reminded me of why I love BMW's so much.

I'll keep looking and hopefully will come up with something that I love, and at a price that makes sense.
I'm sorry Nadina that you feel I "attacked" you, however I am a big advocate of hearing both sides of the story. I know that you were treated unfairly, but judging by your need to post your blog 4 times on this forum, I get the feeling that there must have been something else going on to cause the salesman to behave so rudely.

I had my 07 328 lemon lawed by BMW, and had a truly awful experience. However, I did not use Bimmerfest as a tool to bash the particular dealership, even though they could have handled my individual situation much better than they did.

The 335i is a wonderful car. I upgraded to the 335i when my replacement finally came through. I hope things work out for the best.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i, 2007 335i
Apologies to all for my infraction. It won't happen again.
As you might imagine my frustration level is high as my failed purchase left me deflated.
I wanted to get the word out about the dealership. Whether you agree with me or not about my tactics (i.e. using forums, etc), that's up to you.
I personally do not want anyone else to experience what I did at this particular dealership.

I'll leave it at that for now, and will look to the forum for guidance as I embark on making my purchase.

Thanks to all for your honest input.

Nadina
Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 2008 535i
Nadina;

I suppose the value of boards like this is to get the word out as it relates to bad dealerships. Although my own take is that you should have walked away from this deal at the beginning.

I too had a bad experience when I bought my M3 a while back and utilized this board to share my frustration and I believe it was the right thing to do.

Having said that we also have an obligation to point out when we have a positive experience as well. I purchased an 08 535 from BMW of Bakersfiled last year and I must admit it was the most pleasent car buying experience I have ever had. When I buy my new M3 either this year or next I will make sure they get my hard earned dollars again - no matter where I live.

Good luck with your future purchase.