Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series

5 Series
Ask questions and discuss the 5 Series here. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-02-2003, 11:26 PM
On The Road To Find Out

Mein Auto: '05 X5 4.8is, '03 540iA
Dealer can't afford 2 license plate screws

So I buy my car from the dealer for over 60k, they put their dealer named license frame on the front and back. Use only two screws for each frame.

Now that I just got my plates from DMV, I bought the "M" license frames (which do not come with screws) to replace the dealer ones. The M frames can use 4 screws per frame and I want to fully secure them so they don't rattle or make it easy to be stolen. So I go back to the dealer to get 4 more screws, no such thing. Parts has no way to order them or even know what the part would be. They suggest I go to Home Depot or an auto parts store to match screws with the threaded bolts.

I say I can't believe this...They can't just give me some extra screws.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2003, 12:52 AM
?

Mein Auto: 2013 740i
Got screws?

I can't believe your dealer said they didn't have the screws.

Check your glove box. I got a small plastic bag with a bunch of screws, rings, and those white covers.

I'll give you my extra screws if you let me drive your car

2013 740i (looking to transfer my lease)
2012 528i (ED March 2012)

Past:
2011 X5d
2008 550i
2006 530i (ED Oct 2005)
2003 530i (ED Oct 2002)
1999 328i

Last edited by roots; 07-03-2003 at 01:00 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
What lovely dealer? Stevens Creek or Allison or other?

That is pretty screwy...if I were them...I would just steal you a couple of screws off another car somewhere and then I would figure out how to get more for me.

The point being, I sure wouldn't inconvenience YOU...I would inconvenience MYSELF.

However, in the end, I am pretty sure you can go to Orchards (skip Home Depot for finding particular sized screws, bolts, etc. as they are a complete mess for that kind of thing) to match up what you've got and perhaps find something even better.

I bought a plain black license plate frame from SCBMW and it came with all the screws and black caps, etc.

I don't have a front license plate and so far so good with that. Plenty of cops have seen my car but they haven't bothered me yet about the missing front plate. I am going on 2 1/3 years with no front plate! (knock, knock)
Old 07-03-2003, 09:14 AM
~~~~~~~~~~

Send a message via AIM to LeucX3
Mein Auto: 06 VW Jetta GLI
Well, if they did it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone. on their part.
Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Using SPF 45

Mein Auto: 2004 330Cic
Re: Dealer can't afford 2 license plate screws

Quote:
Originally posted by crete
So I go back to the dealer to get 4 more screws, no such thing. Parts has no way to order them or even know what the part would be.
What, have they not installed a license plate on any other car? Come on, all they have to do is take the screws from another frame kit (or whatever you want to call it), and give them to you. Chuck the plate holder or give it to someone when it come in broken. Cripes, the plastic in those frames is about 50c.

I would be sore tempted to go by the stealer at night and pinch four screws off of a stock car.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:15 PM
round -n- shiney

Send a message via ICQ to rost12 Send a message via MSN to rost12
Mein Auto: m5, 911
I got a total of around 9 screws from my dealer, all free. Of course, they still managed to screw up, first time I was given screws that did not fit properly, second time around I took out one of the existing screws to make sure I get a matching one.

I did have all 4 screws on the front but only 2 at the back...go figure.

Just out of curiosity - why an M license plate on a non-M car?
Old 07-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
I brought one screw to the parts guys @ Cutter during the last Bimmerfest and they were able to find 4 matching screws for me. Not sure if there's a P/N, but if you show them an example, they might find some more.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com