Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-16-2009, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 520i
Brake wear indicators

I have BMW 520i N reg (1995-1996) 2litre 24 valve saloon

Basically, the brakes wearing down n the brake wear idicator didnt show, n wen brakes changed it was because the pad without the indicator was worn down first

anyway, had all discs and pads replaced both on rear or front,

but the handbrake shoes were not replaced (seperate to my discs and pads at rear)

anyway all of s udden for no reaosn the brake wear indicator came on, ignored it n it went off n then came back on and has been on wen ever id rive the car

now i kno that on one of the brake wear idicators prev owner cut it, n rumours are tht because it is an open circuit a ssuch it causes light to come on, however, its not been on before whilst this has been cut

any ideas how to solve it and wud it b safe to close the ciruit by connecting the two wires on the one side on the one wheel togteher to "close" the circuit?

please help
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2009, 02:48 PM

solved it by looking at another page on different series, that being, turn the key to position 2 so electrics work but the engine is NOT started, leave 30 secs - min, turn off, wait half min n then turn engine on n shud go out
Old 01-17-2009, 11:32 AM

doesnt work

the idea someone gave me works of r ahilw but then the light comes back again, checked pads n discs nt hey are stil in new coniditon
Old 01-19-2009, 06:27 AM
The Biggest P0st Whore!!

Mein Auto: 91 525i
The wear sensors work by cutting continuity to the circuit. If they have been removed the connectors can be jumpered or if cut the wires can be connected to prevent the message (make sure they are well insulated to prevent corrosion). It only costs about $10 for the wear sensors. It would be good to replace them. There is no other warning system for low brakes on this car. You can install the sensors without taking everything apart.

If you jumper the connectors or install new sensors and the message is still up you probably have a wiring short.

Last edited by bimmer dot info; 01-19-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:09 PM

sorted

the prev owner actualy cut the prev sensor off completely, so iv just left it off, prevents problems etc etc, so looped it n all insulated so shudnt b an issue now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer dot info View Post
The wear sensors work by cutting continuity to the circuit. If they have been removed the connectors can be jumpered or if cut the wires can be connected to prevent the message (make sure they are well insulated to prevent corrosion). It only costs about $10 for the wear sensors. It would be good to replace them. There is no other warning system for low brakes on this car. You can install the sensors without taking everything apart.

If you jumper the connectors or install new sensors and the message is still up you probably have a wiring short.