Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530
m3 vs st vs evo vs 350z

ok well i have to make a decision to buy a car soon and i have no idea what to go with. at first i was thinking of a 2003 or 2004 e46 m3 but then i started reading up on some stuff that are wrong with the e46. I did some research on this site and many more and ppl are saying that BMW is not as reliable as Japanese cars this and that. So now im very confused on what to get. Im very young 20 years old and im looking for something that i can keep for the future to be able to turn it into a track car ONLY ( lets say when im around 30). For now i need something to get by with and i want it to be really fast and have great handling also the looks but luxury is not my main concern, neither is ride comfort. I dont mind sacrificing ride comfort for performance.

so first off is the m3. we all know how the m3 looks on the exterior and the interior but for the rest you can just google the images. im trying to make some assumptions and i need help with this. im going to rate the cars 1-10 and then if you guys can help me figure out if im close to it that would be great.

The 2003-04 e46 m3

Looks EXT.... I would give the m3 10 out of 10
Looks INT......aslo 10 out of 10
Handling.....i would give it 9 out of 10
HP....10 out of 10
Reliability..... I need help with this because its one of the main factors in deciding which car to go with. I dont think i will be able to pay for all the repairs on this if it breaks down to fast.
Seating Comfort......i would say 10 our of 10 for the front seats. but what about the back?
***** Magnet..... 10 out of 10 ( this is from BORAT and im very sorry if anyone gets offended by this but im just tryin to make a little joke so no hard feelings )

Next up is the 2005 Subaru wrx STI

Looks EXT.....I would give it 7 our of 10
Looks INT.....I would also give it 7 out of 10
Handling.....9 out of 10
HP...... 9 out of 10
Reliability..... I heard its very reliable compared to the m3 and the Evo but i still dont know what to rate it.
Seating Comfort.... its a 4 door so i would say it has to have more room then the m3
***** Magnet.... 5 out of 10

2005 Mitsubishi evo mr

Looks EXT..... 4 out of 10
Looks Interior....4 out of 10....VERY CRAPPY
Handling....10 out of 10
HP..... 8 out of 10
Reliability....Im not sure how it would compare to the m3 but i heard that the sti and 350z are better.
Seat Comfort.... same thing as the sti but very bad interior.
***** Magnet......0 out of 10

2005 Nissan 350z

Looks EXT.....9 out of 10
Looks INT.....9 out of 10
Handling.....8 out of 10
HP......8.5
Reliability...... I would say its close to sti or equal to but >>> better then the m3 and the evo
Seat Comfort.... its a two seater but then again im single no kids no family.
***** Magnet....8 out of 10

so can you guys help me make my decision. if the m3 was more reliable then the others i would definitely go with the m3. i just love the car its always been a dream car but i dont really wanna deal with the headache problems that everyone talks about, specially with the smg. The m3 weights more then the others anywhere from 300-450 lbs. which is do to all the luxury features that I DONT really need. I want a car that i can become one with because im very passionate about driving and i just love my car just like i love my gf ( maybe a lil bit more but let that be our little secret ). And im not a ricer so if i decide to go with a japanese car your not gonna see me drive down the street with 100 dollar rims and no hood on my car to save weight. thats not me because what ever i get im going to make it look VERY VERY nice. so if you guys can help me make me choice
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2009, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: B25
Most people like my self on a BMW forum will say go for the BMW
But yeah..def go for m3!
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to PMack325Xi Send a message via Yahoo to PMack325Xi
Mein Auto: 2003 325Xi
BMW's reliability is blown out of proportion. Yes, they require more TLC, but if you give them the love, they can run forever! My 1st car was an 87' 528e that currently (next owner) has over 400k on it!

Mitsubishi motors are crap, and blow head gaskets like it's their real purpose.

The Subie is... well ugly.

350Z/Infiniti G35 Coupe, I've driven them, the interior is kind of blah, and the 6 spd is notchy and the clutch is springy. They look sharp, but also feel a little boat like in turns for such a small car. If you go that route, go with the G35 though, they're just sharper and the interior is higher quality than the 350.

not like you'd expect anything else from a bimmer bum.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:45 PM
European Auto Source

Mein Auto: M3
Get the M3 hands down, UNLESS you get the 350z and put a twin turbo in there... Easily the fastest car I have ever driven. But then again, you don't really want any issues, therefore stick with the M3, or go with the EVO, which is another car I truly love.

The decision you have in front of you, is difficult. It took me many months to make a decision on my BMW between the RX8, 350z and several others.

Blog | YouTube | facebook | twitter | flickr
Old 01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTizzle View Post
Most people like my self on a BMW forum will say go for the BMW
But yeah..def go for m3!
Not all especially considering what the buyer wants.

My vote is the Subie STI considering 04-05 (GDC/GDD ) had the best looks hands down compared to any US version.

OP seems to hold cost and reliablity as a factor; the Subie will be better than all the other selections except maybe the 350z. However, the 350z is a boat compared to the STI even in Track Edition trim.

If you are in NorCal there are a ton of local tuners for Subie's which are reasonable and easily accessible compared to all the other cars. On a good note, most of these tuners also work on the EVO just as much as the Subies.

Gl with the purchase!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1981 Camaro
If you want a track only car in ten years, why not buy what you want now and but one specifically for that purpose ten years from now? I'd say the m3 is the best for a daily driver (most luxurious) but it's cheaper to mod the others. Also, the M3 doesn't have high horsepower as your scale rates it. It's about equal, give or take, plus it weighs more. But overall, I'd still pick the M3

1981 Camaro
350+ Horsepower
Still not a BMW
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
I'd get the Evo or the STI because if you ever turn into a giant, then both cars have those giant handles on the back - making it very easy to pick them up and bring them with you

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 01-21-2009, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
I'd get the Evo or the STI because if you ever turn into a giant, then both cars have those giant handles on the back - making it very easy to pick them up and bring them with you
And here I just thought those were towel racks for the beach crowd!
Old 01-21-2009, 01:28 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
If you want a car that is good all around get the M3.
If you want a car that is insanly uncomfortable and feels like your driving a cereal box but can beat anyone in a race go with with the WRX Sti or Evo.

If you want to look like every other poser that thinks there cool and there car is amazing but it really isn't what so ever. get a Nissan 350Z.

But in the end the girl will go home with the one in the BMW. Since I saw you put some "magnet" rates in there lol.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Not all especially considering what the buyer wants.

My vote is the Subie STI considering 04-05 (GDC/GDD ) had the best looks hands down compared to any US version.

OP seems to hold cost and reliablity as a factor; the Subie will be better than all the other selections except maybe the 350z. However, the 350z is a boat compared to the STI even in Track Edition trim.

If you are in NorCal there are a ton of local tuners for Subie's which are reasonable and easily accessible compared to all the other cars. On a good note, most of these tuners also work on the EVO just as much as the Subies.

Gl with the purchase!
ive always liked the subi but the m3 is just really really nice but a modded sti would eat a modded m3 unless u invest like 30k into it or more. like i stated before i dont need all the luxury items in the m3 and its heavy compared to the subi. overall i think the subi is better valued and a newer year and its less expensive to modify compared to the m3. if i get the m3 this is what im thinking. all the money that needs to be going into modifying the car would go into repairing the car. where in the sti all the money that needs to go to the mods WILL go to the mods. Im not gonna turn the sti into a ricer honda civic looking crap but i will give it class compared to the other ppl that tune it.

I really love the m3 and i would PICK the m3 if it didnt have problems but i wish the Germans put more resources into building it. i heard this crap about them not being able to use quality parts because of some environmental rule that they have. is that true? and is that the reason y the bmw's are not that reliable?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
If you want a car that is good all around get the M3.
If you want a car that is insanly uncomfortable and feels like your driving a cereal box but can beat anyone in a race go with with the WRX Sti or Evo.

If you want to look like every other poser that thinks there cool and there car is amazing but it really isn't what so ever. get a Nissan 350Z.

But in the end the girl will go home with the one in the BMW. Since I saw you put some "magnet" rates in there lol.
your right lol the girl will go home with the p**** magnet which is the bmw but i dnno if i can afford the problems that it will give. i dnno im just so confused right now
Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armensti View Post
ive always liked the subi but the m3 is just really really nice but a modded sti would eat a modded m3 unless u invest like 30k into it or more. like i stated before i dont need all the luxury items in the m3 and its heavy compared to the subi. overall i think the subi is better valued and a newer year and its less expensive to modify compared to the m3. if i get the m3 this is what im thinking. all the money that needs to be going into modifying the car would go into repairing the car. where in the sti all the money that needs to go to the mods WILL go to the mods. Im not gonna turn the sti into a ricer honda civic looking crap but i will give it class compared to the other ppl that tune it.

I really love the m3 and i would PICK the m3 if it didnt have problems but i wish the Germans put more resources into building it. i heard this crap about them not being able to use quality parts because of some environmental rule that they have. is that true? and is that the reason y the bmw's are not that reliable?
I completly disagree with everything you just said.
But the main disagree is that you know what? All cars have problems all cars are reliable up until a certain point it really depends on how you drive the car and how well you maintain it in the end.
You could maintain a sti and bmw equally and the BMW would last longer.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
your right lol the girl will go home with the p**** magnet which is the bmw but i dnno if i can afford the problems that it will give.

Herpes?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:11 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
You said you don't know if you'll be able to afford maintain the M3, which to me sounds like your budget for a car is too tight. Have you considered a non-M? A M3 is preferable to a 330i but a pristine 330 will always be more respected than a crappy M.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:25 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You said you don't know if you'll be able to afford maintain the M3, which to me sounds like your budget for a car is too tight. Have you considered a non-M? A M3 is preferable to a 330i but a pristine 330 will always be more respected than a crappy M.
+1, you should really drive a 330i ZHP 03-05 Sedan or 04-06 Coupe/Vert.

It's as fast as a WRX 02-08 but handles as close to an M3 w/o the 20-50% extra maintenance cost.

Coming from an 04 WRX -> 05 ZHP cost increase so far is about 20% per year. That's with DIY for most of the work and parts being the major cost.

My wife loves my ZHP compared to the WRX which she said looked like a vacuum cleaner and my friend's 08 EVO looking like a Storm Trooper.

Last edited by av98; 01-21-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: '05 BMW M3
I would get the BMW M3. It is an amazing car.

2005 BMW E46 ///M3.
Color: Carbon Black
Rims: Stock (19")
Transmisson: Manual 6spd
Mods: Eyebrows, Spoiler, and fog light moldings

New Ride: 2008 Suzuki SV650S
Old 01-21-2009, 02:56 PM

if i get the m3 im not gonna get a crappy one ill get a 04 or 03 with less then 50 k miles. its just that i had a 2001 530i. i was the second owner and the guy that i got it from told me that all he did to it was change the radiator and the water pump and thats it at 50k miles ( im not mentioning all the fluids). when i got it, there were 80K miles on it and the water pump cracked on me and i took it to the dealer got that fixed. and then the tranny went bad and then the wiring and all that good stuff( but i took care of that car like a baby, i put all the recommended fluids right from the dealer) . on the other hand my dad got a 1991 lexus ls400 which when he bought had 150k miles on it. we were the 3rd owners. i was the one who put 200k miles on it and we NEVERRRRR had any problems and i was pushing that car really hard which ur not supposed to do to a LS because its a luxury sedan not sports.

if you get a 05 sti and a 04 m3 with 0 miles on it brand new from the factory and you give them all the right fluids and drive like a granny never push them hard. which one would give more problems at 100k? i think that the m3 would. i know one thing for sure the water pump would be gone at 50-60k right? now im gonna get them used and im not the first owner to have driven it like a granny and tooken care of it like a baby and done the oil change every 3k. i dnno what the other owner has done so with that said i think that the sti can take more ABUSE compared to the m3. The RELIABILITY of the car is the main factor in choosing the car not the looks or the luxury items that come with the car. thats all i wanna know. thnx for the opinions guys
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
if i get the m3 im not gonna get a crappy one ill get a 04 or 03 with less then 50 k miles. its just that i had a 2001 530i. i was the second owner and the guy that i got it from told me that all he did to it was change the radiator and the water pump and thats it at 50k miles ( im not mentioning all the fluids). when i got it, there were 80K miles on it and the water pump cracked on me and i took it to the dealer got that fixed. and then the tranny went bad and then the wiring and all that good stuff( but i took care of that car like a baby, i put all the recommended fluids right from the dealer) . on the other hand my dad got a 1991 lexus ls400 which when he bought had 150k miles on it. we were the 3rd owners. i was the one who put 200k miles on it and we NEVERRRRR had any problems and i was pushing that car really hard which ur not supposed to do to a LS because its a luxury sedan not sports.

if you get a 05 sti and a 04 m3 with 0 miles on it brand new from the factory and you give them all the right fluids and drive like a granny never push them hard. which one would give more problems at 100k? i think that the m3 would. i know one thing for sure the water pump would be gone at 50-60k right? now im gonna get them used and im not the first owner to have driven it like a granny and tooken care of it like a baby and done the oil change every 3k. i dnno what the other owner has done so with that said i think that the sti can take more ABUSE compared to the m3. The RELIABILITY of the car is the main factor in choosing the car not the looks or the luxury items that come with the car. thats all i wanna know. thnx for the opinions guys
STI for reliability and cost.

Quote:
Lexus' flagship model has held the highest ranking in J.D. Power's Vehicle Dependability Survey for over twelve consecutive years,[7] and Consumer Reports has named the LS as the most dependable vehicle ever tested.[8]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_L...-reliability-6

Last edited by av98; 01-21-2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
STI for reliability.
thank you thats all i wanted to know and everyone is telling me how luxurious bmw is. i know how comfortable and luxurious it is. i have a 540 i had a 530 my friend had a 540 his bro had a 528 so im very familiar with the feel and the luxury of the car.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
thank you thats all i wanted to know and everyone is telling me how luxurious bmw is. i know how comfortable and luxurious it is. i have a 540 i had a 530 my friend had a 540 his bro had a 528 so im very familiar with the feel and the luxury of the car.
It is more luxurious. STI n EVO dont compare to fit n finish of BMW or Lexus.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
It is more luxurious. STI n EVO dont compare to fit n finish of BMW or Lexus.
yeah but bmw is luxury + sport, lexus is just luxury. evo is just for sport and sti is very little luxury and sport. thats y i like the sti more
Old 01-21-2009, 04:24 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:

This gave me a headache.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, X5 3.0, 986S
Quote:

if you get a 05 sti and a 04 m3 with 0 miles on it brand new from the factory and you give them all the right fluids and drive like a granny never push them hard. which one would give more problems at 100k? i think that the m3 would. :
Do you have anything to back up this claim? or is it just your assumption?
If it is the later, its a no no. This is how rumor starts.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)

Mein Auto: 06 BMW Z4M Coupe
BMW End of story...

Oh wait, you want reasons why?

BMW is very fast
BMW handles like a dream
BMW looks beautiful
BMW is reliable
BMW is suitable for everyday use all year long
///M is The Most powerful letter in the world
///M also stands for mighty

You take a good care of M3, it will reward you with AT MOST $500 worth of repairs each year if you're DIY type of person. The only expenses that go beyond that would be clutch, brakes, cams etc.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
Nowadays

Like the old saying goes "You get what you pay for" I have an 03 M3..an 04 Jaguar...and a 03 Eclipse GTS. The BMW M3 is by far the most reliable. I'm always having problems with the Mitsubishi and the Jaguar has a mind of it's own when it sees cold weather.