Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
My battery is dead

I just came back from a deployment and my battery is dead. I called BMW and they said I need a new battery and the battery need to be program to work with the car. Is that the truth.???. They told me a new battery will cost $ 300.00. My question is, has anyone had a dead battery and replaced it and if so did you used a factory battery or aftermarket and did you need to get the battery programed by BMW.
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
300 sounds bout right and yes you do have to have it programmed.Did you try jumping it though cause it wasnt being used for a long time?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:13 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
i would try to charge it from the contacts in the engine bay... when replacing the battery, you are required to reprogram it, though sometimes you can get away without programming and still have the vehicle function ok... if the car hadn't been driven for a long time, then a dead battery is normal... try to give it a good charge and see if that helps.... if not, you can buy an aftermarket battery... do a search on the forum, you can get the exact battery that bmw uses, under a different name for much cheaper...
Old 01-24-2009, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI M3 Mustang Tundra
id try to jump it first if it starts drive it around for a bit so it can charge.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 PM
The White Knight

Send a message via AIM to unirok Send a message via Yahoo to unirok
Mein Auto: Cadillac STS-V Series
If it does turn out to be the battery $300.00 installed would be an awesome price from the Dealer.

Cadillac STS-V series
BMW 745i Sport
Mclaren Turbo Grand Prix
Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysbmw View Post
I just came back from a deployment and my battery is dead. I called BMW and they said I need a new battery and the battery need to be program to work with the car. Is that the truth.???. They told me a new battery will cost $ 300.00. My question is, has anyone had a dead battery and replaced it and if so did you used a factory battery or aftermarket and did you need to get the battery programed by BMW.
Welcome back!

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg|760 Exhaust Tips|Painted Calipers

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 01-25-2009, 10:58 AM

I try to jump it a few times and I notice that when I connect the jumper cables and try to start it all i hear is a clicking noise and when I press the button to close the sunroof or even open the trunk, it does not work. so I have to used the key to open the trunk. And when I unplug the jumper cables all the power goes away. So Like I mention. when the jumper cable are plug in i get some power in the car but I cannot close the sunroof or open the trunk. The car make a clicking noise when I try to start it. The car is in the garage so i don't mind the trunk being open.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM

thanks for the welcome back.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM

make sure your jumper cables are good and thick enough to handle the power.. I jumped my car a few times and when i used crappy cables it would not jump but only make clicking noises. When i swtiched to bigger better cables the car started. Also if you are using good cables try to jump it direct from the battery in the trunk..
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Din that was something i was wondering about yesterday is it safe to jump directly from battery? I knew someone with an audi that got jumped like that and ended up messing up some electrical unit.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:55 PM

I dont think its any differnt than jumping from the points under the hood. well i had to jump my car for about a week directly from the battery while i was waiting to bring it into the dealer. I had no problems... I would make sure your panels are off and make sure you dont short anything out by touching any wires or things like that.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
Din that was something i was wondering about yesterday is it safe to jump directly from battery? I knew someone with an audi that got jumped like that and ended up messing up some electrical unit.
they probably reversed the terminals or had loose contact points.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:12 PM
E65/E66 Helper Man.......

Send a message via AIM to harjothundal Send a message via MSN to harjothundal
Mein Auto: BMW 745 Li
i wuold be careful jumping directly from the battery... i would do it from the contacts in the engine bay... they go through some sort of monitoring circuit to ensure there is no damage to any components in teh car... also, have you tried to hook up a charger and leave it running overnight? usually, when you jump a car, the battery still has some juice... in this case, your batt is dead, and the 7 requires a great load of power... if you havnt tried yet, i would leave it charging for a while to see if it helps... then jump it...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 745LI
I would agree, try a slow charge to bring the battery back rather than a jump.