Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-26-2001, 11:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to kineda
Mein Auto:
OEM or Aftermarket NAV?

I'm trying to see what is the better way to go on the M3 I'm ordering. I'm very into the quality of music in my ride so I've broken it down into two options:

1. OEM Navigation System with HK. How good is the HK? Would it be better to get the OEM system and add aftermarket speakers/subs and amps? How hard is it to integrate an aftermarket system for the OEM Nav system. I've heard and read about NAV-TV, but I'm not sure how expandable it is. Is the OEM Nav DVD based?

2. Aftermarket NAV System - Probably the new one coming from Eclipse that has DVD/GPS/LCD built into a single din unit(the GPS is probably seperate). And then add the speakers and amps from there?

Sorry if the question was a bit lengthy. I've done a ton of searching on this topic on bimmer.org and e46fanatics without much success.
Ads by Google
Old 12-27-2001, 04:52 AM
This Area is frozen

Send a message via AIM to andy 323i
Mein Auto: 240HP 260 ftlb tq Monster
Thumbs up get the OEM

the all in one integrated display nothing to beat that .. one option i miss ordering on my 323
Old 12-27-2001, 06:01 AM
Raoul Duke

Mein Auto: Great Red Shark
If the quality of sound is your thing and you don't mind plunking down some serious cake, then aftermarket is the way to go. Back in the mid-90's I leased a Grand Cherokee and put a $15k stereo into it. (most of the cost was customized installation). When the lease was over, I ripped out all the components and wiring for $200. The parts are still in a box. Think I'm going to do a stealth install in the T-bird.

If you'd like to get the best bang for the buck, then OEM it. My current 330i has the Nav/Cd-Changer combo. Not too shabby of a sound for a stock unit. Although, I still feel BMW could do leaps and bounds better in the AV department. Definitely behind the times.