Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540-6 speed
Whos gonna be the first to put this in their car? (Iphone integration)

This looks pretty damn cool, and as my POS NAV screen seems to be turding out on me, I may just have to figure out a classy way to retrofit this into the car. The phone could dock into the ashtray and would have nav, phonebook, everything! Pretty damn cool.

Who wants to be the guinea pig?

http://www.mp3car.com/mimics/

Dinan exhaust, short shifter, sway bars, so far...
Ads by Google
Old 06-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport AW
Looks cool, no offence but iPhone era is over until they can support flash and other goodies offered by the competition ie. HTC, Motorola and Samsung on Android System.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Thebizzy.com

Send a message via AIM to Mack
Mein Auto: '02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by s140s View Post
Looks cool, no offence but iPhone era is over until they can support flash and other goodies offered by the competition ie. HTC, Motorola and Samsung on Android System.
You're kidding right?

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

[---Quote (Originally by Tex330i)---
You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
Will be keeping an eye on this. They want $735 shipped for a E39. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport AW
Thats because the Apple lovers never try other systems, I was a huge iphone fan when the first two versions came out, they were awsome phones for the time being(market, apps, email and internet all integrated into a small package), currently there are much nices and capable phones on the market, Dual Core, 8+ MPX Camera, Flash Support, Tons of Free Apps, GPS, Navigation all in one *free* package. I phone still does not support flash and I know all about jailbraking. All Im saying is Apple has the big name and reputation but their phones are no where close to the competition anymore. I was a Apple user 2+ years, but their lack of technological improvement will kill the sales. I feels it was the first multicapable phone for the average user, but the world is moving on and Apple is behind.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Looks cool but...

Damn just give me an Aux Port integration in my car and i'll be happy.

2010 335i - Sport, Nav, Premium, Comfort Access
(Sold) 2003 530i - 18x9 Style 42's - M5 Rear Sway Bar - White LED Angel Eyes - OEM Front Valance(lip)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

s140s - I agree with you on some points but also disagree with you on others! I've never owned an Apple product, I can get all my computing needs done on a windows machine, I don't suffer problems as I keep my laptop clean and well maintained. I'm IT by career as well. At home, again my Windows laptops over the years have provided everything I need. Other people, aren't tech savvy at ALL. They don't know about having internet security software, regularly doing system maintenence on a windows machine in order to keep it running tip top. Apple came along and put a very slick user interface on top of a Unix operating system and to those technophobe, home users the apple products 'just work' without them ever having to 'lift the hood' as it were. Of course, add the very clever marketing to gloss over the technical limitations, it proves the 'masses' will buy products up! Android does indeed present a serious threat with it's potential, when the user interface on android phones and tablets closer matches or overtakes Apple's then yes, Apple will be very worried indeed! currently, the iPad 2 is still king of the tablets and the iphone is selling very very well indeed. I still don't personally want one, I'm happy on my HTC, but like many around me who aren't into technology, then Apples products are being chosen over android. The Flash limitation, yes, a silly thing seeing as many sites use it effectively and just mr jobs and co having a public spat over it, again, I don't like being dictated to what I can and can't do with the devices I buy, especially at Apple's inflated pricing, but as you say, people jailbreak but you have to be a bit techy for that, for the most of the crowd, they'll just skip by the flash content and just carry on emailing or browsing ebay or playing a game - it's hardly a showstopper for those people!

This car concept is great if your an Apple user, but for those of us who aren't, we're not really interested. I'm still under the impression, that for a decent GPS signal pickup, the device needs a good 'view' of the sky? - throw your iphone say into a holder in the windscreen will resolve that, but then there's many people who dislike doing that, so where to put the iphone? Wonder if there's a E39 fascia version?!

I'll stick with my Alpine head unit for now

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 06-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Thebizzy.com

Android phones are sweet no doubt but the market is clear and there are TONS of happy iOS owners. + Nothing comes close to iTunes. + who really gives a $hit about flash? I could care less, nor could many but the most incredibly anal full on geek squad candidates. What was on the market before the iPhone 1 came along? $hitty motorola flip phones. Apple continues to lead the way. Again, I do love the new droid phones and they are incredibly powerful but being able to sync with iTunes on my PC, sync all my apps with my iPad2 is so very sweet. The Android market place is a complete mess and nowhere close to being in the same ballpark as iTunes.

So yeah, if you have an iPhone (and LOTS of us out there do) the mimic looks pretty cool.

Mods: Shark Injected | Magnaflow Exhaust + Resonator | H&R Springs | Bilstein SP Shocks + Struts | TMS Power Pulleys
Eibach F+R Sways | BeastPower Brackets | M-Tech bumpers | Predator ICE V3 + HID Fogs | Eurodyne CF Hood | BSW Sub + Dice + spec dock

You can warranty a turd, that way when you have a problem you can exchange it for a new turd.---End Quote---
Old 06-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi

Prior to the fist iPhone, certainly in many other markets, there were quite a few smartphones out. I've been using HTC since around 2002, Windows mobile OS and worked for me and many others. I've also been using tablet or ultra portable laptops since around this time as well. The only thing Apple did was to put that simple user interface on, and make it cool to have to the non technical or 'general consumer' market out there. It's been successful for sure, many 'consumers' thought it was ground breaking, but as these products and their capabilities existed prior to apple coming along, we know that isn't the case. The iPad is a nice device, my brother a non IT person and sis in law, again, non IT person have iphones and an ipad and think they're the best thing since sliced bread! - then I show them the devices I was using to do more that the ipad can do which cost less and were available way before apples products! I still can't get over the iPad has a 4:3 screen ratio when the world has now gone 16:9 as movies are so easily viewed on the move.. I'd like to have the ability to stick my 32gb microSD card I use to keep compressed movies on into the iPad, but it doesn't have a card reader .. I don't like to have itunes on my machine as I prefer choice of where I can buy and be able to play my music where I want - I don't like to be restricted basically.

ok, that all aside, it'll be cool to see the mimic in an E39 ! one of you guys should hurry up and DO IT!!

cheers, Dennis!
Old 06-05-2011, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by karbon View Post
looks cool but...

Damn just give me an aux port integration in my car and i'll be happy.
+1
19" Alpina Reps, H&R Sport Springs (50464), Business unit with GROM Ipod Interface, BMW LED 10w AE bulbs, AFE Cold Air Intake Stage 1, Black Kidney Grilles, M5 rear lip, Extreme Bright LED License plate lights

Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
+ Nothing comes close to iTunes.

I have an iPhone and I absolutely hate everything about iTunes. I would rather use media center or media player than silly iTunes.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Thebizzy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubyu View Post

I have an iPhone and I absolutely hate everything about iTunes. I would rather use media center or media player than silly iTunes.
You're joking right? Wow, that statement literally amazes me LOL. To each their own!

Old 06-05-2011, 05:10 PM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
ITunes is great
Old 06-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Did any of you read the "fine print on the Mimics? It is very unstable and requires jail breaking the iphone, among other known problems:

"The Mimics is in 'Beta'

As such, the Mimics has these known problems. Mp3Car will not honor returns for the following issues:

1. Mimics requires the use of a Cydia app called Display Out. Screen flickering has been observed on occasion and has been attributed to this app. In order to fix this issue, one must go into the Display Out settings and switch the display resolution from 640 x 480 to a different setting and then back to 640 x 480. Additionally, flickering can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the dock connector and reconnecting it to your iPhone.

2. Currently, the Mimics will display the same image as your phone. Landscape apps will appear in landscape mode on your screen only if your phone is held in landscape. Portrait apps will appear sideways. An app called "Landscape Lock" can help with this problem by locking an app that has both landscape and portrait modes in landscape. This app will not help with apps that only have portrait mode.

3. Incoming callers will sound clear through your car speakers. However, incoming callers to your phone will hear an echoing of their voice when speaking to you. Noise canceling apps have not shown to help remedy this problem.

4. Bluetooth headset pairing is not possible with Mimics. Mimics pairs with your phone via Bluetooth and it is not possible to connect an additional headset when paired with Mimics.

5. With any external amplifier installation, it is important to note that noise can be introduced into your system. To avoid this, properly grounding all electronics in your vehicle including the new amplifier and Mimics is necessary. You may need to ground these devices directly to your battery and/or use ground loop isolators. You can read more about troubleshooting noise on our forums.

6. Jailbreaking your iPhone is required to use Mimics. If you're not familiar with this process, please try doing this before your order and install Mimics. Jailbreaking can require highly technical skills and a bit of research to complete the process successfully. If you're not comfortable jailbreaking your iPhone, please do not order Mimics. Mp3Car will not be held liable for problems that occur during this process or be able to help with technical support issues related to the jailbreaking process.

7. GPS seems to be less accurate, to about 3000 feet while the system is in use. Once disconnected, accuracy returns to normal. "

This product is not ready for prime time.

Last edited by chiefwej; 06-05-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 528itM/5
I had no idea these guys were up the street from us.

2000 528itM/5
1996 M3
Old 06-06-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528I Daily
Why not just get a hooligan and connect to it via blue tooth? Then you can listen to your music watch movies off your phone and it looks factory in our cars. Thats what I would do. Below is the unit I speak of. BTW Apple products are for old people who cannot figure out how to use other devices that are far more capable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETO-Car-DVD-Play...ht_9717wt_1003
Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
wow thats so many problems!!!!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Thebizzy.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GGM 528I View Post
Why not just get a hooligan and connect to it via blue tooth? Then you can listen to your music watch movies off your phone and it looks factory in our cars. Thats what I would do. Below is the unit I speak of. BTW Apple products are for old people who cannot figure out how to use other devices that are far more capable.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ETO-Car-DVD-Play...ht_9717wt_1003
These units look great but a few other threads going on reporting that they are junk and have ZERO support when there are issues. Much like anything straight outta Hong Kong.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I love my iPhone 4, 3GS and MacBook Pro.

Doesn't crash like windows!

Go apple!

Also, I will stick with my Magellan windshield mount. Let's me use Nav, Pandora, iPod, have my wife watch movies or she can video chat on Skype. That's enough for me (for now).

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 528I Daily
This isn't a apple vs everything else thread. If you have nothing to contribute to the OP's post then keep it to yourself. Please don't litter.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Hi I'm MAC, I'm pc ......
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 GGM 528I View Post
BTW Apple products are for old people who cannot figure out how to use other devices that are far more capable.
Please keep non essential garbage off the OPs thread ( ie take your own advice).

From a not so old person...

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540-6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Did any of you read the "fine print on the Mimics? It is very unstable and requires jail breaking the iphone, among other known problems:

"The Mimics is in 'Beta'

As such, the Mimics has these known problems. Mp3Car will not honor returns for the following issues:

1. Mimics requires the use of a Cydia app called Display Out. Screen flickering has been observed on occasion and has been attributed to this app. In order to fix this issue, one must go into the Display Out settings and switch the display resolution from 640 x 480 to a different setting and then back to 640 x 480. Additionally, flickering can sometimes be fixed by unplugging the dock connector and reconnecting it to your iPhone.

2. Currently, the Mimics will display the same image as your phone. Landscape apps will appear in landscape mode on your screen only if your phone is held in landscape. Portrait apps will appear sideways. An app called "Landscape Lock" can help with this problem by locking an app that has both landscape and portrait modes in landscape. This app will not help with apps that only have portrait mode.

3. Incoming callers will sound clear through your car speakers. However, incoming callers to your phone will hear an echoing of their voice when speaking to you. Noise canceling apps have not shown to help remedy this problem.

4. Bluetooth headset pairing is not possible with Mimics. Mimics pairs with your phone via Bluetooth and it is not possible to connect an additional headset when paired with Mimics.

5. With any external amplifier installation, it is important to note that noise can be introduced into your system. To avoid this, properly grounding all electronics in your vehicle including the new amplifier and Mimics is necessary. You may need to ground these devices directly to your battery and/or use ground loop isolators. You can read more about troubleshooting noise on our forums.

6. Jailbreaking your iPhone is required to use Mimics. If you're not familiar with this process, please try doing this before your order and install Mimics. Jailbreaking can require highly technical skills and a bit of research to complete the process successfully. If you're not comfortable jailbreaking your iPhone, please do not order Mimics. Mp3Car will not be held liable for problems that occur during this process or be able to help with technical support issues related to the jailbreaking process.

7. GPS seems to be less accurate, to about 3000 feet while the system is in use. Once disconnected, accuracy returns to normal. "

This product is not ready for prime time.

Wow, that was an instant deal killer right there haha! I even have my phone jail broken but just thinking of the procedure alone to use this thing blew it. I would have to set my phone to horizontal mode everytime i got in my car blah blah. Plus gps is limited to 3000 ft?? What the balls is that- thats worthless. The free mapquest app gives you turn by turn direction is a pretty great nav app, and I would plan for that to replace the OEM GPS- 3000 ft accuracy is worthless.

Screen flicker? Echos while talking? Bleh.. where's V2??

This would be idea specs- wireless syncing (or wired anyways, gotta charge I guess) automatic recognition when its connected to the unit and seemless phone integration. That's the product right there!

Dinan exhaust, short shifter, sway bars, so far...