Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjjones1 View Post
Does anyone have a method that can be used to get all 4 wheels up on jack stands at the same time?
Thanks
My previous description in this thread used ramps; here's a thread describing the process w/o using ramps ...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking.jpg
Views:	31292
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	173306  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Quote:
Originally Posted by black540eye View Post
Thanks CN90!....the picture is exactly what I was looking for. Appreciate it.
black540eye

Measure your front lip.
In the picture I have 8",8", and 20".
You may want to do 12", 12" and 20". It gives a bit more room for a gradual climb.
You will love it, warranteed.
If you live near a construction jobsite, ask the carpenter for leftover 2x10 (used for floor joists and roof rafters during construction)....then it is free.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: '99 323is, '00 E39 M5
yeah, I've been using my homemade wood ramp for years on various lowered cars I've had. Sometimes it was still too low to get under and do any work, but it was always high enough to at least get a floor jack under it. Here's a cool jack for lowered cars....

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+floor+jack.do
Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 AM

Where does it say in writing not to use the rear differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
BMW states that you should not jack the rear up via the differential.
If you can quote where that recommendation is located in writing, I'd be interested to know because at least three other people in this thread recommended the rear differential.

I used the rear differential myself when I did my four-wheel brake job. I didn't see anywhere else (surely not the gas tank! ...

If you can find a written statement from BMW that says not to use the rear differential, that would be enlightening (especially to hear what they suggest to use otherwise)....
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
If you can quote where that recommendation is located in writing, I'd be interested to know because at least three other people in this thread recommended the rear differential.

I used the rear differential myself when I did my four-wheel brake job. I didn't see anywhere else (surely not the gas tank! ...

If you can find a written statement from BMW that says not to use the rear differential, that would be enlightening (especially to hear what they suggest to use otherwise)....
I think all the hype about this is not to place the jack under the ribs of the diff (where the 2 halfs mate). Doing so, one would deform the diff.

TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 01-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
I think all the hype about this is not to place the jack under the ribs of the diff (where the 2 halfs mate). Doing so, one would deform the diff.

Hmmmm... Is my picture below in the right spot?

I am not under the car right now so I can't tell if the two halves mate with the line perpendicular to the axle or parallel. From the pic, it looks like that mating line is parallel, which would mean a jack centered on the differential would have half the differential on each side of the jack head.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Hmmmm... Is my picture below in the right spot?
I don't know. I cannot see clear enough from that pic. This why one would have to use a piece of wood, or wrap the jack head with a sturdy cloth. Also, some jacks have the head wrapped in rubber.
I still make sure it does not touch that mating surface (once the jack engages slightly to the diff, I crawl to see where it touches). If it's OK, I continue lifting. If not, i just reposition it.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Jacking on the REAR DIFF is safe because the REAR DIFF is attached to the REAR Subframe via 3 bushings. The Subframe is attached to the Chassis via 4 Areas.

When you place a floor jack below the Rear Diff, you place a VERTICAL Load on the Rear Diff Casing: Arrows #1, 2, 3 in red.

This in turn applies Vertical Load on Subframe attachment points to the Chassis: Areas #4, 5, 6, 7 in Blue.

See picture:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E39RearSubframe.JPG
Views:	7716
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	254923  
Old 11-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Quote:

Here is the written statement from the BMW TIS: (seems to be hosted on photobucket so may disappear in the future)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0&postcount=33

This only issue I have with Cam's physics is the load on the Arrows #1,2,3 in Red can compress the rubber just above the bolts possibly tearing older rubber away from the subframe. This concentration of weight upward at 3 points before spreading out over the subframe can be an issue with worn out bushings, in which case the bushings need to be replaced anyway just like all rubber bushings on the car after 6 or more years and driving conditions.

Last edited by dvsgene; 11-16-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
you place a VERTICAL Load on the Rear Diff Casing: Arrows #1, 2, 3 in red. This in turn applies Vertical Load on Subframe attachment points to the Chassis: Areas #4, 5, 6, 7 in Blue.
Wow. I love the detail ... and the diagrammatic explanation!

(I don't understand it one bit ... but I love it ... and if I was under the car right now jacking it up, I'd be trying to figure out what Cam said ... step by step.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
hosted on photobucket so may disappear in the future)
It bothers me to no end when a reference picture disappears from the net! I hate it so much, that, over the years, I've taken to the (time consuming) habit of downloading the reference pictures while they still exist, shrinking the photos to about 640x480 and the text shots to about 800x600 if necessary) and then uploading them here.

For example, here are the most prominent E39 jack-point pictures I know of that we would wish to re-reference over time. (Note that the 1999 BMWs are different (see below) than the rest.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	differential.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	254935   Click image for larger version

Name:	E36.jpg
Views:	4136
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	254936   Click image for larger version

Name:	E39RearSubframe.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	254937   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacking.gif
Views:	194
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	254938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jackpoints.jpg
Views:	5636
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	254939  

Last edited by bluebee; 11-16-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM

For the record, this thread has wonderful ideas for safely jacking up the rear:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Alternate jack point
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BMWRearJackPoints.JPG
Views:	434
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	280923   Click image for larger version

Name:	E39RearJack01.JPG