Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Question M5 vs M3?

Hey everyone, I've got some Q's for you all:
I'm looking to sell/trade my M5, and get an e46 M3. I will definately be getting it 6 speed, hard top, and with higher miles (to keep it in my price range). My question is, what do you think of your M3? From what I've heard from the guys/gals on in the e39 section, the M3 is less of an everyday car compared to the M5, they claim it's "always on" , which doesn't sound half bad to me! So if you could just let me know what life is like with your M3, it would help me decide between switching cars.
Thanks ya'll

***If you want a project car, send a PM! I'll ev!en ship it to your door!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
I'll say little that I know.
After test driving quite a few M3s it has me hooked.
When I drive my 328i its slower then all hell and it's just not as much fun as driving the M3 at all.
There's somthing about the M3 when you drive it you feel completly different( funny I know ) but thats the truth.
I've been on the search for the right M3 ever since. And it's been a long and painful search. Seems black on black SMG E46 M3's just don't exist here in socali.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 01-29-2009, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3/911 964 C2
Keep the M5. I really like 4 doors though so I might be biased. M3 is always on and I regret having to daily drive it right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcporsche24 View Post
Keep the M5. I really like 4 doors though so I might be biased. M3 is always on and I regret having to daily drive it right now.

The 4 doors is what makes me think, "keep the M5", but there's something about the M3... A Laguna Seca Blue, 6 speed M3 has been my dream car since it debuted, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since then!
Old 01-30-2009, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 M3 6sp
I've had my 01 M3 for about 6 months now and I drive it about 55 miles per day Hwy/City mix. I never feel like it is "always on" although incredible power is just an ankle twitch away. My previous car was a S2000 which is a thinly veiled track car so in comparison the M3 is luxurious. After 6 months I still look forward to going to work because I get to drive the car. I average about 20-21 MPG but I have gotten almost 30 on occasion. The only downside is the terrible stereo. I hope this helps...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 89 E30
I had an 04 M3 convertible, and I now have an 02 M5. I truly don't miss the M3, the M5 really is impressive even when carrying 4 passengers..
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 01-31-2009, 08:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Royal Red 540i 6spd
I have a 540i 6 speed now, and previously had an e46 m3. It's probably not the same comparison, but I definitely miss the lighter weight of the m3 and the better gas mileage. In terms of comfort, the m3 seats just plain suck unless you have the inflatable lumbar/side bolsters (which mine didnt) and the 540 seats are great. The m3 lacked the torque, but the high rpm's were alot more fun anyway. The m5 is probably the much better bang for the buck for the price but the m3 is just a little more fun. I'd have to describe the m5 as just a more mature and civilized m3. I'd go for the m3 but only because I prefer smaller and lighter cars and dont really need the extra room.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:06 AM
read b4 you sign, always

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S / E36 M3
OMFG!! KEEP THE M5! Really now how many 4 door salons are that fast and nice looking, not to mention they drive well amazing. If you dont want your m5 there is a guy (me) that would love it. yea the M3 may be smaller and lighter, but I rather that the extra room for if and when I have the need to carry the extra people. Also correct me if Im wrong but m5's are a liitle harder to come by.

Almost forgot here is my dream car:

m5 2008 silver all the options,

Reality: One I might be able to afford:

2000-2002 M5 Silver, black interior, and well thats about it I can deal with the other stuff

ONLY THE DEAD HAVE SEEN THE END OF WAR - Plato

2003 R53 Mini Cooper S - Dinan S1+
1997 BMW E36 M3 Stock
1993 1993 RX-7 R1 FD3S To mush to list

Last edited by Devilsown; 02-02-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsown View Post
OMFG!! KEEP THE M5! Really now how many 4 door salons are that fast and nice looking, not to mention they drive well amazing. If you dont want your m5 there is a guy (me) that would love it. yea the M3 may be smaller and lighter, but I rather that the extra room for if and when I have the need to carry the extra people. Also correct me if Im wrong but m5's are a liitle harder to come by.

Almost forgot here is my dream car:

m5 2008 silver all the options,

Reality: One I might be able to afford:

2000-2002 M5 Silver, black interior, and well thats about it I can deal with the other stuff
Well, I've got a 2000 silver M5, black leather, and it's cheap! Needs some work, but not much at all. PM if interested!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw m3 coupe
I myself had a few debates whether i wanted a 4dr car or a 2 door and honestly it all depends on your situation. If your the type of person that always drive around with a lot of people or have a lot of friends that like to tag along then the m5 would be the choice but if you don't ride around with a lot of people and daily its just you and a passenger in the car then get the m3. I recently bought a 05 bmw m3 and its great i love it. Its been my childhood dream to own an m3 and it doesnt get any better man.you'll def enjoy it but then again think about your situation first before making your decision cause constantly having to move the seats to fit people in the back daily sucks and its a tiring process. hope my advice help you out
-Robert
Old 02-05-2009, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 02 M3, 04 Sierra Denali
They are very different beasts. Much of the decision depends on

your daily driving - stop-n-go, highway, lots of twisties?
your weekends - track days?
your family - do you need a back seat? trunk space?
your financial tolerance - mods and maint

M5 - Power at any rpm, no need to downshift to make that pass or zip into an opening. Its a great road car and good in traffic but I didn't like the clutch (stiffness) in stop-n-go. Brakes are poor, its easy to find the limits. I rarely used the M5's back seat but loved the trunk (its hard to even get two sets of golf clubs in the M3). Headers + x-pipe + exhaust ~6k, CAI ~1k. The M5 is more exclusive -- in Denver I could go for weeks without seeing another on the road. The M5 is a bit of a sleeper but wakes up a roars with a little twitch of the foot.

M3 - more of a racing type engine, got to get into the upper band to have power. Its a rougher ride with more road noise than the M5. I wouldn't take it on a long road trip but its great in the twisties, and good even in heavy traffic. The suspension is pretty good stock and the brakes are very good (just need a pad change for track days). The back seat is not really usable and the trunk space is limited. While the M3 is expensive to maintain/mod its not up with the M5 - my K&N filters fouled the M5 MAFs, they were around $400 EACH to replace.

I love both cars and really think it depends on your stage in life. Since much of my driving is now 50 mile highway trips to/from airport, I'm not going to the track, and need a back seat (about to be a grandpa) I'm actually considering going back to an M5.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M5 & M3
M5 vs M3

I own a 2000 M5 and a 2005 M3 Dinan S2, I think the m3 isn't 1/2 the car the M5 is, the m3 is way to edgy its fun at first but only at first. Also you will miss the torque of the V8. While the M5 is elegant and confident the M3 nervous and always looking for a fight.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i e39
O!!!!!!!!!!! i got it! how about e39 with a s54 m54 and getrag 217 6-speed with a 3.5 final drive.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3 conv
Honestly I just did this about 2 days ago. Sold my 2000 imola red M5 with 90k miles and got a 2001 M3 vert the next day with 57k miles. I needed to unload the M5 to get some of my money back out of it before it hit 100k miles or got any more problems. The M3 is a great car as well, but a completely different animal. I would take an M5 any day over an M3 and I miss it; however, the M3 is still a great car in it's own way. To me the M3 sounds aren't as pleasing as the S62 engine, and the torque that the M5 gives is definitely not present in the M3. The burble that would come out of that engine is insane and the exhaust and pure sound of the engine was so pleasing, while the M3 is so rash and metallic sounding. Not to mention the ride difference. Even though the M5 had tuning for performance the ride was still actually firm, but smooth and fairly comfortable. Well, the M3 ride is all sports car and no smoothness. I would go for a newer M5 like '03 if you can handle it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328i
If you're single and in your 20's or 30's, definitely - M3. If you're older and/or a family guy - keep the M5, it's the perfect hybrid between a big family sedan and a race car - wife and kids will love it just as much as you do. Oh, and if you WANT to be in your 20's or 30's, or WANT to be more like an older/family guy, then disregard your actual situation and go with the car that best meets what you want to live like.

Really, though, the BMW lineup seems to work the following way:

M3: young playboy
M5: his old man, more serious and respectable, but still has accelerator fever sometimes
760i: M3's grandpa, the family patriarch
X3: young mums
X5: older mums/young grandmas

...M6: any of the above, still hungry for more power and with WAY too much cash to spare

PS oh, and all of the above are my (possibly moronic) personal views, so don't mind them too much and definitely don't take me seriously enough to get offended!
97 328i - in California, half a world away, currently loaned to my dad - would cost 2.8 liters * 4k Euros (5k bucks) at customs to import to Russia, where I'm still taking the bus - Gods, I ENVY MYSELF