Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-12-2016, 10:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
What a trip...

6 days - 5 states and back the same route 2050 miles and we find the fridge freezer turned into a heater and ruined everything .. Catch the end of the Labor Day sales but our new fridge can't be delivered until a week tomorrow...
Old 09-12-2016, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: Volt
I feel your pain.

I had a brand new fridge delivered in July and the temp went from 36 to 78 in a day. I was gone and it ruined all of my food. The only silver lining was that the place where I bought it had just started a sale on a much better one and I was able to exchange it for $100 extra. The difference in value between the two fridges is at least $500 at normal price and the one I have now is so much better. No comparison.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moop View Post
I feel your pain.

I had a brand new fridge delivered in July and the temp went from 36 to 78 in a day. I was gone and it ruined all of my food. The only silver lining was that the place where I bought it had just started a sale on a much better one and I was able to exchange it for $100 extra. The difference in value between the two fridges is at least $500 at normal price and the one I have now is so much better. No comparison.
Man... We've had the same fridge we bought when we were married over 18 years ago. They say we should replace an appliance that old, but it looks new and works fine. It's never even broken down.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:22 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Sounds like a nasty ending to a long trip! I hope the driving wasn't an every day thing, and you got some time off to enjoy wherever you were -

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 09-13-2016, 08:40 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Could be worse! Like accidentally tying off your dogs leash to the bumper, and forgetting about it.
Grandma dying and having to tie her to the roof rack...
Old 09-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
Could be worse! Like accidentally tying off your dogs leash to the bumper, and forgetting about it.
Grandma dying and having to tie her to the roof rack...
Old 09-13-2016, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
I always eat all the food in my fridge before leaving on a trip. One less worry.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:43 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
6 days - 5 states and back the same route 2050 miles and we find the fridge freezer turned into a heater and ruined everything .. Catch the end of the Labor Day sales but our new fridge can't be delivered until a week tomorrow...
That's a lot of mileage over a short time span. Never fun to come back from a trip to have to deal with an issue. I guess Mrs. Wyb gets some wining and dining though! I'd be asking some questions.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:05 AM

On the trip - it was good - a lot of driving.....

Colorado > Wyoming > Utah - 2 nights with the daughter, son-in-law + grandsons there. Then Utah > Idaho > Montana. 2 nights there with brother-in-law + sister-in-law for their golden wedding anniversary at Fairmont Hot Springs Resort - outside of Anaconda, MT.

We left our dog with them in Utah so it was then back the same way - with one night in Utah, where I got the news from daughter #1 who was over our house feeding the fish + cats about the fridge. Monday was our travel day, but also our trash day at home - she cleared out most of the freezer + got it into the trash for us. So I'm not even sure what was in there apart from what I can remember...

In the fridge though, I'd just made a bunch of jars of refrigerator pickles before we left, not expensive to make, but they're time + effort, and they're better than the store bought ones - from memory the freezer had some salmon, steaks, lamb-chops, chicken and a big batch of chili I'd made + portioned up. We also kept the frozen fish food for our aquarium in there - that made quite a stink... The gluten free pastries + bread were a total loss - grandson and son-in-law are #GF so that was $30 of gluten free stuff ruined at least. I know where was a couple of lbs of hamburger + a small pork roast in there... what else? I can't remember - and she cleared 90% of the freezer out.. *THANK YOU*!

The biggest loss from the refrigerator section in terms of $$$ was probably my many jars + bottles of hot-sauces, mustards and bbq sauces which were from our trips + farmers markets, and artisan sausage + cheeses.

At an an average of say $7.50 a jar, with a lost of 40 or so (yeah - I'm a sauce + mustard addict), that's $300 in just the sauces. An almost brand new jug of maple syrup, $16... OJ, lemon juice, clamato, cherry juice ($30 a bottle) Many mustards are quite cheap ($4-6) - but hard to find and some will be impossible to replace locally + sauces from the UK are $8 a piece imported.

I had 4 types of sausage - those are $5-12 a piece, but cheese were where it's at - we'll do cheese + nibbles for dinner many times - I had over 20 different types of cheese in there - and each of those is $5-9... cheese is expensive these days!!!

I bet the loss of food + condiments tops $750 EASILY - maybe closer to $900-1000.

Mrs wyb found some stuff that was still sealed but in the fridge, a couple of bbq sauces + such, but the machine had gone into heat mode somehow - there was a wave of heat hit me when I opened it - we can't risk anything from inside that box with the possible exception of a couple of cans of soda - and I'm not even 100% sure about those...

I'm quite pissed off - the more people I talk to about the fridge say that 10 years is on the really low side for a fridge - it's 10 years in October, so the fridge is less than 10 years old... of course the warranty is long past expired.... when we ordered the new fridge yesterday, they only had a 5 year warranty available for an extra $250. I doubt very much that the fridge will go out in 5 years, so I consider that insurance on the almost impossible to happen scenario - it could happen, but the chances are so minuscule, that it's more like tossing $250 away.

So we ordered a Samsung RF28HMEDBSR. That has a 10 year compressor warranty - and so they should really - I'm making sure we keep that receipt really safe somewhere!

Mrs wyb liked the extra drawer with the separate temperature setting so I can keep the cheese, sausages + stuff in there separate from the main fridge. The separate door within a door feature was good also. What wasn't so good, was Mrs wyb cashing out AmEx points to get $2k of home-depot gift card to pay for it - sure it's 'free money' - but I had plans for those points..

That new fridge will be here a week today - $15 to haul away the old one - you betcha, cleaned it out and left the door open on that p.o.j. and I'm hoping I learn to appreciate + enjoy that bleach smell to the fish + meat smell we had last night... stinky!!
Old 09-13-2016, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: Jeep GC, BMW 335i 'vert
When I bought my house back in 2009, I bought all brand new appliances. All LG. The biggest fridge, the biggest stove, the biggest washer and dryer I could find in consumer sizes, and LG had all of them. So far they've all been amazingly awesome!
Old 09-13-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-F-C View Post
When I bought my house back in 2009, I bought all brand new appliances. All LG. The biggest fridge, the biggest stove, the biggest washer and dryer I could find in consumer sizes, and LG had all of them. So far they've all been amazingly awesome!

we looked at a number of LG machines - if they're right for you, that's great. We didn't go that route though they were in consideration.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
we looked at a number of LG machines - if they're right for you, that's great. We didn't go that route though they were in consideration.
Out of curiosity, why did you go with a different brand?
Old 09-13-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why did you go with a different brand?
the one that went out was a maytag - we're buying now on features + our lifestyle, this machine fit our need better. And if we're going to rent the house out and take to the road, we need a new appliance, rather than a repaired one so we don't get one of those calls while we're 1200 miles away.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM

yep - door-dent when it arrived - I refused delivery and they leave it anway as a loaner until they can get a replacement to us. [sigh]
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Note to self - don't buy Maytag fridge.

Grammar: The difference between "knowing your sh*t" and "knowing you're sh*t."
"A world that is 'idiot proof' is a world that is only fit for idiots." - Racer X / 6'er
Old 09-20-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
Note to self - don't buy Maytag fridge.
the replacement is a samsung - they use the same compressor as the LG we're told by the delivery contractor, who brought the dinged up samsung in. I'm very impressed that it was down to temp in less than 3 hours, although I grabbed a bag of ice and a frozen chicken I want to thaw from the freezer in the garage. It's a nice fridge. We're working out what to put in the door that can be opened without opening the full door - milk + sandwich meats + butter I think.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:53 AM

the dent is small - they offered $150 credit if we took it - I said I'd prefer a pristine fridge to begin with. Waiting on a call for re-delivery... the guy said it should be this week, but they left the door-ding one for now.

the 'protective film" is still on the door here:

Old 09-20-2016, 11:57 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
yep - door-dent when it arrived - I refused delivery and they leave it anway as a loaner until they can get a replacement to us. [sigh]
This, right here, pisses me off to no end. My parents bought a new stove - had broken window. I bought a new car top carrier - went through 3 before one arrived unharmed. For all the crowing about the environment and waste I know it's a sham when no-one can seem to package these items sufficiently to protect it from damage en route. Think about the total packing materials, time, fuel, and material to build these items that was just wasted because some fool saved $3/unit on packing materials. Yeah efficiency expert!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
This, right here, pisses me off to no end. My parents bought a new stove - had broken window. I bought a new car top carrier - went through 3 before one arrived unharmed. For all the crowing about the environment and waste I know it's a sham when no-one can seem to package these items sufficiently to protect it from damage en route. Think about the total packing materials, time, fuel, and material to build these items that was just wasted because some fool saved $3/unit on packing materials. Yeah efficiency expert!
indeed! and even though we're no longer sort of camping out of a cooler in our own home, I still feel I can't go replace half the stuff we lost, because we'll have to unpack + pack the fridge/freezer again when they bring the replacement.

Oh well - we're planning on eating out of the freezer for a while anyway so we can do a full de-frost + clean of the garage freezer. I guess it helps in a way... but $2300+ for the new fridge including tax + delivery and we still can't use it as I had planned.... ho-hum.

Tonight we have bbq ribs, tomorrow the chicken I'll roast, Saturday night I'll do a beef roast. I think I have some chili in there, I found a load of sausages I made which I thought we used all up - quite pleased about those, they were the first I'd ever made + they were good...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Oh well - we're planning on eating out of the freezer
We've been trying to do this for some time and sadly a Costco trip always ends up sneaking in...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
We've been trying to do this for some time and sadly a Costco trip always ends up sneaking in...

yep - we have a business membership of both costco + sams.... I'm thinking of using their pick-n-pull service to avoid impulse buys in those places, I go in for paper products + spend $200-300 on stuff not on my list...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search