Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:05 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Tony Stewart hits/kills driver during Sprint car race.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
The victim bears some of the blame for intentionally stepping on a live track, but Stewart was a thug for what he did. He saw that guy.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
The victim bears some of the blame for intentionally stepping on a live track, but Stewart was a thug for what he did. He saw that guy.
The victim bears about 99% of the blame. Confronting people by jumping in front of their speeding race car isn't a good idea. Darwin claims another victim.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Very sorry to see that.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Good to see that they reconsidered their blatantly arrogant decision for him to drive in today's race.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Put that scumbag in jail.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:26 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
His Sprint Cup sponsor will probably drop him now. I wonder if he'll have the balls to race today?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
I'm not following. Why do people say he is at fault?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
I'm not following. Why do people say he is at fault?
The track was under a yellow flag and he saw all the other drivers ahead of him avoiding the victim but he decided to drive close to the victim, coupled with the bad blood between between both of them.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3, 1997 Chevy truck,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4luvr View Post
The victim bears about 99% of the blame. Confronting people by jumping in front of their speeding race car isn't a good idea. Darwin claims another victim.
I agree.

As in many things in life one wrong decision quickly leads to a disaster. Every racing organization should use the death of the young driver as an example of what could go wrong, and immediately make it a rule that any driver who gets out of a race car for any reason other than saving his or her own life (such as fire) will be suspended for two seasons. Or something like that...

For drivers who act like Stewart acted there should also be severe and immediate penalties. Black flag his ass for the race and maybe for his lifetime.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:43 AM
BMW Snow Plow User

I dunno. I can't imagine that he has seen him and did what he did. I think it is more likely that he didn't expect a pedestrian and had his eyes on the other cars and the stalled car, which would be the right thing to do under a normal yellow flag condition.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I am not really a fan of Stewart, but I watched that video several times and I don't think there's enough in the video to definitely say who is at fault. We would need to see from the other track cameras what his path around the track was just prior.

The victim pretty clearly ran down towards the inside of the track and being dirt, there's only so much evasive maneuvering you can do. I also agree about fault for getting out on a live track...that was a poor choice driven by his temper. But, if other angles show Stewart letting his car run a bit wide for no reason then he certainly needs to be published both through the legal system and by his team and sponsors.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 08-10-2014, 11:27 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
Bizarre. I don't quite get why you can hear Stewart's engine goose just before he hits him. Almost looks like he goosed it and swerved slightly to the right. Idiots both.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
The video leaves some open questions but enough where I don't think Tony Stewart is to blame here.

Having been on a professional track, there are rules everyone has to follow. Based on the video, all the cars were going at the same approximate speed...even Stewart. Ward did a major violation by walking into the path of traffic even while under caution. Under yellow flag conditions, the drivers are told to slow to a safe speed and to not pass. With this being a dirt track, for Stewart to be able to react fast enough to avoid someone walking into his path of travel is unrealistic. Had this been a red flag situation, yes, Tony would be 100% liable.

Unfortunately, with the NASCAR culture we have here in the states, incidents like this are bound to happen. While NASCAR has fined individuals for doing what Ward did, it's not enough. There needs to be an outright suspension for a number of races. No other racing body behaves this way. And while this is sprint car dirt track racing and not NASCAR, the audience and driver farm system are definitely influenced by NASCAR.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:53 AM

I think there will be some homicide charge. Tony had already slowed down and he seemed to accelerate when he approached the guy and he did not swerve away from the guy,which would have been a natural reaction to something that approached you suddenly. Tony is also a super professional driver who should have known to act with the utmost care when he saw the other drivers slowing down at a particular spot.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Are you looking at the same video I am? He did not accelerate prior to impacting Ward. The increase in revs was AFTER contact and can be understandable as his car rolled over Ward. And again, he was going no faster than the other cars circulating around the track.

I don't care how good a driver you are when you have someone charge into your driving line. You're not going to easily avoid hitting him.

Last edited by zx10guy; 08-10-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:08 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

I also have to say this:

those cars look like handmade for injuring pedestrians. What's the attraction with really weird vehicle racing? There is a reason why passenger cars have norms to fulfill related to minimizing impact on humans.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:13 PM

They're no more dangerous than any other racing vehicle out there. Race vehicles are designed to be fast and to protect the driver in the event of a crash. They're not designed to worry about running someone over.

Last edited by zx10guy; 08-10-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squiddie View Post
I also have to say this:

those cars look like handmade for injuring pedestrians. What's the attraction with really weird vehicle racing? There is a reason why passenger cars have norms to fulfill related to minimizing impact on humans.
ahem.... race cars and pedestrians don't mix well, period. That is why running on to a track with speeding race cars on it is a bad idea. It doesn't matter if they are indy, formula one, nascar, or a demolition derby. Get the heck off the track. There will be better places to point fingers and argue later.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
ahem.... race cars and pedestrians don't mix well, period. That is why running on to a track with speeding race cars on it is a bad idea. It doesn't matter if they are indy, formula one, nascar, or a demolition derby. Get the heck off the track. There will be better places to point fingers and argue later.
Exactly. MotoGP has its fair share of hot heads and when there is a racing incident as this was clearly a case of, the riders don't run out into the racing line and start arguing. They first run off the track towards the safety barrier and then argue. They may argue while on the way to the safety barrier but they all know to get out of danger. It's not only stupid but discourteous for the other racers as something like this should force a red flag situation unnecessarily impacting everyone else's race.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Renaissance Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Are you looking at the same video I am? He did not accelerate prior to impacting Ward? The increase in revs was AFTER contact and can be understandable as his car rolled over Ward. And again, he was going no faster than the other cars circulating around the track.

I don't care how good a driver you are when you have someone charge into your driving line. You're not going to easily avoid hitting him.
The guy was clearly a dumbass to try to press his case for uhhh, improper behavior right there on the track. I watched that part of the vid many times, I think I can hear the engine start to rev up while I can still see Ward standing. I can't see why colliding with something as insignificant in weight as a human body would be compaired to the mass and speed of one of those cars would cause the engine to rev up.

I don't have the equipment to slow it down frame by frame complete with the sound wave graph thingy but I suspect someone will analyze this very carefully.

Last edited by cmac2012; 08-10-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagu View Post
I think there will be some homicide charge. Tony had already slowed down and he seemed to accelerate when he approached the guy and he did not swerve away from the guy,which would have been a natural reaction to something that approached you suddenly. Tony is also a super professional driver who should have known to act with the utmost care when he saw the other drivers slowing down at a particular spot.
Are you echoing the George Zimmerman case here too? Taking your interpretation of video or audio as gospel when actually it can be interpreted many ways? That's pretty thin evidence to accuse someone of murder. What speed were the drivers at when the accident happened? How many seconds of reaction time would he have to avoid hitting a person, dressed in black, at night who was moving into his path? Unless other video evidence shows that Stewart intentionally swerved into the man, there is no case. Even if that does appear, it will still be very difficult to prove it to get a manslaughter or other lesser charge.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM
Renaissance Dude

One thing is clear, there was some motor-head mania at play here. 'You hit my car man! Yer a scumbag dude, yer a -' BUMP!

Plenty more cars to be had. One body is all you get.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Are you echoing the George Zimmerman case here too? Taking your interpretation of video or audio as gospel when actually it can be interpreted many ways? That's pretty thin evidence to accuse someone of murder. What speed were the drivers at when the accident happened? How many seconds of reaction time would he have to avoid hitting a person, dressed in black, at night who was moving into his path? Unless other video evidence shows that Stewart intentionally swerved into the man, there is no case. Even if that does appear, it will still be very difficult to prove it to get a manslaughter or other lesser charge.
I guess you missed the part where I started with "I think" before you started banging away at the keyboard. How dare I have a different opinion from you, uh?

Old 08-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
here is an idea dont play chicken on a ****ing racetrack