Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
If you pay me I'll build whatever you need.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 03-01-2009, 09:21 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
If you pay me I'll build whatever you need.
well, that's expected.

what can you do? everything?

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
I had an interview yesterday. The position was not available that I was interviewing for, but they wanted to bring me in and meet me etc. anyways. My first interview ever, so it was good practice none the less. If they did have an opening it would be a stressful job, and not as flexible as I'd like for hours…. (it would be hard for me to make my class once a week). Any rate, I had a good time. I wasn't really scared or super nervous, granted I read a few books on interviewing before hand (thx Marc). I suppose the pressure was off because I knew they didn't have the position I wanted open, but you never know when things become available.

Again, good practice….and I survived.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I had an interview yesterday. The position was not available that I was interviewing for, but they wanted to bring me in and meet me etc. anyways. My first interview ever, so it was good practice none the less. If they did have an opening it would be a stressful job, and not as flexible as I'd like for hours…. (it would be hard for me to make my class once a week). Any rate, I had a good time. I wasn't really scared or super nervous, granted I read a few books on interviewing before hand (thx Marc). I suppose the pressure was off because I knew they didn't have the position I wanted open, but you never know when things become available.

Awesome! Congrats on the first interview.

Present
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland Summit 4x4 - Deep Cherry Red

Past
2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
2008 335i Cp - Montego Blue
Ordered: 2/24/08, Mine on: 4/18/08

View My Flickr Photos
Old 03-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I need a drink

Send a message via AIM to Araq44
Mein Auto: mobile
Quote:

I want to hear more about this when you get the chance.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araq44 View Post
I want to hear more about this when you get the chance.
Yes...I meant to tell you about this after we talked (I got the call right after we spoke-that evening)... I knew they weren't hiring, but figured it couldn't hurt to talk to them to at least practice talking to a potential employer!

I actually have another question for you about a lead. (regarding making the call that's basically going to go like "Hi Mr. XYD, Mr. ABC told me I should speak with you regarding...blah blah blah"...you get the idea. I have an exam tomorrow night that I've been attempting to prepare for... I will send you a more detailed email tonight/tomorrow!)
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: '08 328 E93 '12 X3 28i
Quote:

Sometimes these type of interviews yield positive results. Either that position materializes or they find a fit for you in other organizations. In today's market, it is a major victory just to get somebody to give you an interview. Best of luck.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpuma View Post
Sometimes these type of interviews yield positive results. Either that position materializes or they find a fit for you in other organizations. In today's market, it is a major victory just to get somebody to give you an interview. Best of luck.
Absolutely! Sandy, I was in the same position once. I interviewed for a position that wasn't available and two weeks later I was executive assistant to the CEO.

Good luck!!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc545i View Post
I'm looking for a sales rep with B2B sales experience in Pittsburgh for a medical sales position. Also looking for an experienced medical rep in Tampa.
I just saw this thread for the first time..... Do you still have the sales position open? I am originally from Youngstown, Ohio and am looking to move back closer to family. I have been in sales for a while.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh, its "That Guy"

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Govt Stimulus $$

http://www.energysolutions.com/index...Richland,%20WA

Engineers / Project Mangers. Stimulus money is landing in our laps. Contracts to clean up nuclear waste from Hanford nuke weapons production.

Nearest BMW dealer is Hahn in Yakima 70 miles away. A bit of a hassle but usually just use regularly scheduled car service as reason to go to Seattle or Portland OR for weekend.

2011 135i
2009 X5 4.8i (retired)
2008 535xi (retired)
2005 Z4 3.0i (retired)
2003 325i (retired)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: Smart Passion, F-250 4x4
Quote:
About the Opportunity

This General Manager position plans, directs, coordinates and implements all internal distribution and transportation policies and procedures for a medium size, high mail volume operation. This operation is responsible for conducting the delivery of mail, research samples, equipment and other materials throughout the different buildings in the facility area.

Internal Logistics GM oversees 55 Kenco employees including central administrative services, mail distribution personnel in various buildings and a dedicated local shuttle operation.

Qualifications

Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
Ability to respond to common injuries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
Ability to develop presentations and present information professionally to internal and external management/customers.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Ability to work effectively in a multi-tasking environment.
Ability to work constructively under stress and pressure.
Ability to manage multiple projects and meet specific goals and deadlines.
Ability to build a team attitude by managing employees in a way that fosters teamwork instead of individual gain. Ability to motivate, train, supervise, and evaluate the performance of subordinates.
Ability to take corrective action in a constructive manner with employees who cause issues in the workplace.
Knowledgeable or capable to manage technical requirements in the areas of transportation, DOT, Hazardous Materials and global shipping requirements.
Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Lotus Notes, Word, Power Point, Visio, and Excel (Access is also preferred, and WES knowledge is a plus).
Experience with the implementation of Business Improvement programs such as Six Sigma practices and Lean Principals.
Project Management
Process Flows
Root Cause Analysis
Cross-functional teams
Cost Justification
Time Studies

Education/Relevant Experience

College degree and 5 or more years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
http://www.kencogroup.com/www/employment/105.746

Located in Durham NC. Position remains open....

(Pharmaceutical industry)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
Nuclear Security Officer 1

Salary: $22.12 - $27.50

+1.41 Shift Differential and Yearly bonuses

Qualifications:
To be eligible for this position, candidates must submit a resume with dates of employment and demonstrate the following minimum requirements:
- A minimum of three years active duty experience in the U.S. Military, active law enforcement, or private armed guard security experience.
- Must be experienced and proficient with a hand gun and rifle.
- Experience performing physically stressful duties on demand.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Customer focused to understand and appropriately respond to business needs and conflict situations and to interface/collaborate effectively with others.
- Experience analyzing information and making sound decisions.
- Experience achieving individual excellence, including taking initiative, demonstrating accountability and maintaining integrity in all situations.
- Be able to work any shift and overtime as required.
- Successfully pass pre-employment written battery test, weapons qualification, and medical/physical fitness tests.
- Must not have any felony convictions involving the use of a weapon or that reflect on the individual's reliability.
- Must not have any misdemeanor convictions of domestic violence.
- Must have a valid drivers license, be at least 21 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED.

Indicative Duties:
Typical responsibilities will include: performing armed, tactical, and other duties essential to protecting and defending the Nuclear reactors and their Vital Area (VA) components against radiological sabotage.

Apply at Sce.com
Old 03-17-2009, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvThatSam View Post
Nuclear Security Officer 1

Salary: $22.12 - $27.50

+1.41 Shift Differential and Yearly bonuses

Qualifications:
To be eligible for this position, candidates must submit a resume with dates of employment and demonstrate the following minimum requirements:
- A minimum of three years active duty experience in the U.S. Military, active law enforcement, or private armed guard security experience.
- Must be experienced and proficient with a hand gun and rifle.
- Experience performing physically stressful duties on demand.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Customer focused to understand and appropriately respond to business needs and conflict situations and to interface/collaborate effectively with others.
- Experience analyzing information and making sound decisions.
- Experience achieving individual excellence, including taking initiative, demonstrating accountability and maintaining integrity in all situations.
- Be able to work any shift and overtime as required.
- Successfully pass pre-employment written battery test, weapons qualification, and medical/physical fitness tests.
- Must not have any felony convictions involving the use of a weapon or that reflect on the individual's reliability.
- Must not have any misdemeanor convictions of domestic violence.
- Must have a valid drivers license, be at least 21 years of age and possess a high school diploma or GED.

Indicative Duties:
Typical responsibilities will include: performing armed, tactical, and other duties essential to protecting and defending the Nuclear reactors and their Vital Area (VA) components against radiological sabotage.

Apply at Sce.com
Old 03-19-2009, 10:01 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
FINAL APPLICATION FILING DATE: APRIL 3, 2009
WRITTEN TEST DATE: APRIL 11, 2009 (information will be mailed after application is received by Human Resources)

Applications and job brochures may be downloaded at www.elsegundo.org/jobs or you may e-mail your address to Sgt. Zimmer at jzimmer@elsegundo.org and an application and complete job brochure will be mailed to you. Job Hotline: 310-524-2378.

GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:

Under general supervision, performs duty assignments including jail operations, animal control, traffic control and parking enforcement; and provides office/clerical-related support to the unit. POLICE SERVICES OFFICERS WORK A VARIETY OF AM and PM SHIFTS, INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS.

CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

Books prisoners, including fingerprinting and searching, removing and tagging personal property, and assigning jail cells according to a prisoner classification system; prepares booking and charge forms; conducts jail checks and inspects facilities for security, cleanliness and maintenance; maintains custody of prisoners including movement within the jail facilities; oversees inmate visitations; prepares prisoners’ court packages. Orders and stocks designated jail food and other supplies; documents inmate misconduct and medical emergencies/services; prepares and serves meals; cleans cells.
Receives requests from the public at the counter and over the telephone; provides information regarding policies, procedures, regulations and services; receives reports from crime victims; enters and retrieves data regarding inmates and property; receives bail payments and issues receipts; releases found property and impounded vehicles. Patrols the City in a light truck observing for violations or responding to incidents; captures both domestic and wild animals using equipment and methods appropriate for animal abatement and control; picks up dead animals; issues citations, issues licenses while assigned to Animal Control duty; warnings and/or legal notices. Controls or directs traffic as needed; writes parking citations and tags abandoned vehicles for impound; makes court appearances as required; drives vehicles to and from City facilities. Sorts, files, copies and distributes records to appropriate personnel; provide copies of police reports to the public and other agencies; types correspondence, bulletins, lists and forms; prepares reports, schedules, records, logs and other materials for use internally and/or by external agencies; answers incoming phone calls regarding general police business, routes calls and takes or transmits radio and telephone messages.

KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:

Knowledge of animal control activities, methods and practices; jail operations and state and county laws regarding jail standards and operation; parking laws and related enforcement; general office practices, procedures and equipment operation. Skill interpreting, applying and explaining rules, policies and procedures; following oral and written instructions and procedures; receiving the public in person and over the telephone; dealing with arrestees/inmates whose behavior is aggressive or unruly; carrying out a variety of animal control program responsibilities. Skill communicating effectively orally and in writing establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, other City employees and the public.

WORKING CONDITIONS:

Regular physical contact with arrestees and inmates.
Regular exposure to bodily fluids, potentially infectious diseases, lice, etc.
Animal control activities may require lifting of up to 75 pounds, running, climbing fences and crawling under houses.

LICENSING/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:

A valid California Driver’s License.
Positions require successful completion of a three-week jail operations course and certification by the Department of Corrections, which training will be provided by the department after hire.

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

Graduation from High School or GED and one (1) year of experience dealing with the public, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

Compensation: Level I: $3597-4383/mo.; Level II: $3971-$4838/mo.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 AM

You can mow lawns once the grass starts growing - drag a mower and weedwhacker around with you and you're insta-employed.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: Broom
Anyone have a job for a witch in a thong??
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
In a thong? Hmmm, limited possibilities. Without the thong, I can think of a few things...
Old 03-25-2009, 09:28 AM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Im job searching.
BS in Management Information Systems/ International Management

I do not have any hands on background in my field of study which is the negative. I am currently doing documentation for a pharmaceutical company.

Still trying to figure out what are my options out there.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
Im job searching.

I do not have any hands on background in my field of study which is the negative. I am currently doing documentation for a pharmaceutical company.

Interesting... pm sent.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Im job searching.

Hmm...kind of in the same boat here.

BS in Information Systems Security but no actual hands on experience in my field yet. No one is willing to hire and train anyone it seems.

Checking out a career fair next week though so maybe something will come from that.

Present

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 03-25-2009, 12:02 PM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Hmm...kind of in the same boat here.

BS in Information Systems Security but no actual hands on experience in my field yet. No one is willing to hire and train anyone it seems.

Checking out a career fair next week though so maybe something will come from that.
I was supposed to go to one yesterday but was not able to make it. I need to start looking around for other options. I graduated back in 05' so i have some time out of school, which is the last time i did anything related to my field of study.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I was supposed to go to one yesterday but was not able to make it. I need to start looking around for other options. I graduated back in 05' so i have some time out of school, which is the last time i did anything related to my field of study.
I graduated back in August of '08 so I'm not as far removed but the more time that passes isn't a good thing.

Present

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 540it
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
http://www.energysolutions.com/index...Richland,%20WA

Engineers / Project Mangers. Stimulus money is landing in our laps. Contracts to clean up nuclear waste from Hanford nuke weapons production.

Nearest BMW dealer is Hahn in Yakima 70 miles away. A bit of a hassle but usually just use regularly scheduled car service as reason to go to Seattle or Portland OR for weekend.
No BMW dealership in the Tri-Cities, what a rip, but like you say a long weekend for an oil change in the Pacific Northwest is not a bad gig. I lived north of Pasco ie Mesa area after high school but originally form Indiana and now I live in Nashville, TN. I am looking for an architecture position but I did see a drafting position or engineering on the website - I could do either. Thanks for the post.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:15 AM

Hummm...My friend sent me an email for a job. I like the company, but I'm def not qualified for the job (just no experience in this area, but it didn't say how much experience was needed). I went ahead and applied. ...I found the person in charge of hiring on Facebook, and it turns out we have some mutual friends. I didn't find her in LinkedIn, however. Would it be 'ok' to shoot her a Facebook msg you think?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: **** you
I would keep it professional...