Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 02-12-2009, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
new 7er vs. Panamera?

There doesn't seem to be too much technical info. about the Panamera on the net yet. Aside from more power, what could Porsche do to make their sedan a better drive than a 7 sport? I mean as between Bimmer and Merc you can point to differences in weight distribution, torque curves and specific output, unsprung mass (some Mercs sport 6 or 8 piston calipers and 14+ in. rotors etc.) A BMW is designed with a higher priority on performance. So, what is Porsche going to do? Put the Panamera's engine behind the rear wheels and the trunk up front? (kidding) Seriously, how do they get an edge? I can't really point to a non-engine related performance edge in the design of the Cayenne over an X5.

My answer would be that they can afford to tune the chassis for a more performance oriented ride since buyers aren't expecting an S class ride quality inasmuch as Porsche is a sports car company. Right? But Alpina can tweak the 7's chassis and has announced plans to squeeze another 100 ponies out as well. So those points are a bit moot.

No doubt the Porsche will sound 100 times better, feel more special and look far more unique on the road, but how will they get it to handle significantly better given that est. weight figures are supposedly within 200 lbs. of a 750i?

Just curious if anyone has any theories on this?
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
Aston Martin Rapide
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: n/a
The Panamera isn't meant to compete with the 7 series or the S-class, it is not a full-size luxury sedan. It actually isn't even a sedan... its supposed to be in the new category of "4-door coupes" that seems to be the new mix of performance with practicality.

The competitors would be the Aston Rapide, Mercedes CLS, Maserati Quattroporte, etc. These are all cars that arent about big space, comfort, luxury and tech but rather a very sport sedan that gives just enough room and luxury/appointments as appropriate to their brand name.

The Panamera will outhandle any 7-series simple due to smaller size and less weight...