Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-02-2009, 05:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 528i - 5SPD Manual
E39 528i key programming ...

Hey Guys!

My 528i has a viper 5900 alarm module with auto remote start (with clutch bypass & immbolizer bypass system).

Anyways, my remote starter stopped working few days ago, and then I decided to check out what happened. Traced all the alarm & starter wires, and of course, everything is connected and no fuses were blown.

The symptom was that the car would try to start, all the MID lights on the instrument panel will light up and the tone will start to beep, just as car is about to start, but then, I think the immoblizer fails preventing from starting my car. The alarm requires to use one of my 2 master keys, which is secured inside the by-pass module that will transmit the immobilzer codes to the BMW system when I activate the remote starter.

So, I basically traced the problem down that my 2nd master key (used within the bypass module) has lost its programming. The key itself works to open the door, open the trunk etc, however it doesn't work to start the car.

When i directly replaced with 1st master key (I only got 2 master keys) , the remote start worked perfectly., but I have key now that won't start the car at all by itself. Now, I am stuck with remote starting my car, and inserting to Position 2 the defective key to start driving the car, since the immoblizer is only required when starting the car.

So, I searched thru this form, I found a member, by the name of WWJoeDrive? , who posted instructions to reprogram key for 540i.

I was wondering if this will work for 97 528i:

1: Cycle Ignition. Turn key on, and wait for all the lights to go out before turning ignition off. Perform next steps within 30 seconds.

2: Press and hold the unlock button. Red LED on remote will flash twice, and then go to steady-blink mode.

3: When you get to steady blink mode (and still holding the unlock button!), press and release the LOCK button three times. Do this deliberately, not too quickly.

4: Release the unlock button. Car's locks should cycle, indicating the key is programmed.

5: Repeat steps 2-4 for the other key.

6: Cycle ignition again - I don't know if this is required, but I did it just to be sure

Because i really don't want to take my keys to Dealer to reprogram and charge me excessive fees.

Can anyone confirm this because I attempt, because last thing I want to do is, loosing the programming on all my master keys (#1 and #2).

However, according to this:

The key also has an immobilizing feature (its called Drive-Away Protection). The key has an embedded chip inside that has a ISN (individual serial number) that is coded to communciate with the ECM and EWS Control Module. Both of those modules also have an ISN, too...and unless the ISN of the key, ECM, and EWS control module match when you go to start the car...the fuel, spark, and ignition will remain immobilized.

By keeping this in mind, will the programming really make the key work or not?

Thanks!

Last edited by Karthigan; 02-02-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Additional Info.
Ads by Google
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
No, reprogramming your car keys WILL not solve a no start issue. The reinitializing procedure you inserted in your post is for the FZV & DWA features of your key (keyless entry & alarm siren arm/disarm). The EWS (immboilizing) feature DOES NOT require any coding or reinitialization...in fact it doesn't even require that the key's battery work...it is self powering thru induction process over a 125 Khz AM signal sent from the ring antenna.

From reading your post...I'm not sure I completely understood...were you saying that the one master key you have starts the car even with the aftermarket "auto-start"... and the other master key you have does not? If something is wrong with the one master key....you don't have to spend hundreds of dollars to replace it...especially if it is being stored in a hidden spot inside your car. You can get a little plastic "spare" key (it's a master key, too) for somewhere between $40-$60 depending on how much your local dealer charges.

I just posted about FZV, DWA, and EWS last week...it's a long post...but lots of info about these 3 systems incorporated into the BMW key...which gets all jumbled up and confusing by the many comments made and asked about issues with keys: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...87&postcount=7

Take note of the WORKSHOP HINT in the gray box on the lower right in image below:

Again, the procedure you wrote out in your post above...is only the instructions (like from the owners manual which you can see below) to initialize a new key (or an old one) that has lost the ability to lock/unock and arm/disarm your car (FZV/DWA). It has no affect on the EWS system which does not require a working battery to be able to start the car (again, see that gray box in image above). The EWS (immobilizing) system uses the embedded chip with ISN that must match those of the EWS control module and ECU.

And what concerns me the most...after typing all this info...it really doesn't help solve your situation...but hopefully it will clear up some confusion as to some things you can discount as the problem. And don't waste money on having the dealer perform the FZV/DWA reprogramming when it won't do anything. BUT...you may have to end up connecting the car to the BMW diagnostic equipment to see if the EWS system has set a fault code.

Good luck.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 02-02-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 AM

Okay, Thanks! A Lot.

So, basically, in order to summarize: (excluding all my references to aftermarket alarm system /w remote start)

I got the old edition keys (the rubber fat one) , I have 2 master keys (each with the big rubber the 3 buttons, unlock/lock & trunk)

Key #1 & Key #2 have brand new batteries

Now, using Key #1, the car will not start at all. It will go to position #1/position #2, (THE MID / instrument cluster will light up with the beeping normal noise) but position #3 (where the engine cranks to start up), doesn't work

Using Key #2, the car will start.

Key #1 is able to unlock / lock doors, open the trunk, the RED light still works

Key #2 is able to do everything.

So, basically, I might have somehow damaged the immobilzer chipset within the key.

So, one of the BMW repair shop told me, since BMW uses the immobilzer chipsets to control when and how the car will start, my aftermarket alarm has a by-pass module (which is need to operate remote starting of the car) requires a masterkey to be within that module, that module has coils that will read the codes from the key and send that code to the immobilzer unit, so that when the remote function is activated, the car will start.

Basically, the guy told me, it is about 50-60$ CAD plus taxes just to get the key, masterkey that will do everything. The only difference is that, it is not the one with the function buttons, (the big bulk rubber) that controls unlock/lock/trunk. If I want that type of key, then it was cost $250.00 or more plus taxes.

So, therefore, with your information provided above, Qsilver, I think it is obvious now that key itself is damaged and I just need to replace for 50-60 bucks so, I have myself another Master Key. Key by itself.

Also, according to realoem.com, when you are looking for parts, it actually breaks down further the rubber-master keys. I was wondering, if it is possible, to actually order replacement masterkey and open up the defective rubber-buttons master key and replace it with the new keys. Or do you think that is actually too much trouble?

The key is referred to ask Master Key with Remote Module.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:10 PM

Karthigan..I would open up key #1 and see if the chip is still inside. That is the one good (?) thing about the old style key. The chip is a small little thingy that is just sitttin loose inside the key...unlike the new style key where the chip is part of the circuit board inside the key (and the new style key is also sealed).

Perhaps the chip fell out when you replaced the battery...or if they used it somehow with the aftermarket alarm (sorry if I'm still confused as to how that system was installed)

As far as replacing your "keyless remote" master key (#15 in the Realoem.com diagram above)....or #1 in the diagram below...it would be more cost effecient to purchase #2 (in image below and #11 in the Realoem diagram above). The only thing that seems to NOT be working properly is the EWS chip...and since ALL of the keys (remote or not) have the transponder inside with the ISN for your car's VIN (vehicle ID number)...you can probably dangle the small spare key from the same keyring as your remote key...and the car will start.

But first, I'd open up the key and see if the transponder is still in there.

2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Old 02-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Cool, Thanks!

i'll open it and see, I'll try to post images as well.

Since the module box (which is used with the Alarm) kept the key inside, secured tight, I doubt anything fell apart, perhaps I might have to take a deeper look at the key itself.

Now, if I do get the repaclement spare key (just the key), they have to match to my VIN# so, that key can be used to start the car right?
Old 02-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthigan View Post
Now, if I do get the repaclement spare key (just the key), they have to match to my VIN# so, that key can be used to start the car right?
Yes, that's the only way BMW will sell you any key at all for your car. They will require your car's VIN, and will probably ask for some verification of ownership and/or personal identification. They will then send your request off to BMW NA headquarters (in New Jersey)...and in a few days...which ever key you've purchased... will be sent back to the dealer. The key's embedded transponder will already have the ISN that's been assigned to your car.

The only programming that would need to be done is the FZV/DWA programming to lock/unlock doors & arm/disarm the cars alarm siren (that is...if you get a "remote" key). If you just get a spare, valet, or illuminated master key...all you'll have to do is stick it in the ignition and go.
(SOLD)

Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks!

I went to order my spare (valet) key, since that's all I need, paid $65 including tax

Pretty much, I disassembled the old key, the chipset was still inact, no physical damage from observation. The BMW tech advised it could have mulfunctioned. So, either way, that Master Key is a lost for starting the car. Although, it does make a good spare one at home. I should be getting my replacement key by Friday.

Then over the weekend, I am off to installing PIONEER AVIC-Z3 double din /w 60 GB HDD
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 AM

Since you purchased the VALET key...make sure you ALWAYS leave your trunk connected to the central locking system ...that means leave the trunk lock cylinder in the vertical position ( | ). That's because the VALET key doesn't have the ability to lock/unlock the trunk or the glovebox...and if you accidentally lock something in trunk...or the key in the trunk ...the only way to get in is with one of the master keys (remote/spare/illuminated master).

Leaving the trunk connected to the central locking system will allow you to open the trunk with the trunk release button down in the driver's foot well...and with the central lock/unlock button on the center console. If the trunk is disconnected from the central locking system ...trunk lock is in the horizontal position ( -- )...those buttons will not open the trunk.
(SOLD)

Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 AM

Okay..Cool!

However, with my Aftermarket Alarm & Starter, I got everything (trunk open, door unlock/lock, window auto roll down/roll up & sunroof auto roll open/close) in the tiny remote. Pretty cool!

Also, the installer was able to program to turn the Heated Seated ON & Steering Wheel Heated ON when the car is remotely started, therefore, it is a good idea, since leather is usually really cold in the winter time, and steering wheel makes it even colder.

One feature I have to give Hi-5 for is the Heated Steering Wheel, such a good feature!!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
... the installer was able to program to turn the Heated Seat ON & Steering Wheel Heated ON when the car is remotely started...such a good feature!!
That's defiintely worth

(SOLD)

Old 03-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 99 E39 540i
Quote:
Okay, Thanks! A Lot.

So, basically, in order to summarize: (excluding all my references to aftermarket alarm system /w remote start)

I got the old edition keys (the rubber fat one) , I have 2 master keys (each with the big rubber the 3 buttons, unlock/lock & trunk)

Key #1 & Key #2 have brand new batteries

Now, using Key #1, the car will not start at all. It will go to position #1/position #2, (THE MID / instrument cluster will light up with the beeping normal noise) but position #3 (where the engine cranks to start up), doesn't work

Using Key #2, the car will start.

Key #1 is able to unlock / lock doors, open the trunk, the RED light still works

Key #2 is able to do everything.

So, basically, I might have somehow damaged the immobilzer chipset within the key.

So, one of the BMW repair shop told me, since BMW uses the immobilzer chipsets to control when and how the car will start, my aftermarket alarm has a by-pass module (which is need to operate remote starting of the car) requires a masterkey to be within that module, that module has coils that will read the codes from the key and send that code to the immobilzer unit, so that when the remote function is activated, the car will start.

Basically, the guy told me, it is about 50-60$ CAD plus taxes just to get the key, masterkey that will do everything. The only difference is that, it is not the one with the function buttons, (the big bulk rubber) that controls unlock/lock/trunk. If I want that type of key, then it was cost $250.00 or more plus taxes.

So, therefore, with your information provided above, Qsilver, I think it is obvious now that key itself is damaged and I just need to replace for 50-60 bucks so, I have myself another Master Key. Key by itself.

Also, according to realoem.com, when you are looking for parts, it actually breaks down further the rubber-master keys. I was wondering, if it is possible, to actually order replacement masterkey and open up the defective rubber-buttons master key and replace it with the new keys. Or do you think that is actually too much trouble?

The key is referred to ask Master Key with Remote Module.
I am in New Zealand and have the key on the far left in the pic above. Only two buttons, no trunk open. My car is a 99 540i Msport Japan Spec. Can this key be programed to arm/lock and disarm/unlock my car???? I am trying but have many issues but that is another story in another thread. I only have this key.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
Karthigan who installed that system for you? I'm kinda interested in one of those myself; it would make the mornings easier.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 03-02-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharples View Post
I am in New Zealand and have the key on the far left in the pic above. Only two buttons, no trunk open. My car is a 99 540i Msport Japan Spec. Can this key be programed to arm/lock and disarm/unlock my car???? I am trying but have many issues but that is another story in another thread. I only have this key.
If your car is equipped with keyless entry...then yes, the key should lock/unlock & arm/disarm you car's system.

The problem is...the key you indicate operates using IR(infrared) which has a slightly different programming procedure than the ones we use here in the States for the RF (radio frequency) keyless entry system.

Do you have instructions in your owners manual on how to program the remote? If not, perhaps they are similar to the ones below for the early IR (two button) keyless entry system that was used here in the States on the e31 & e32:

(SOLD)

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: Year 1997 E39 M52B25
QSilver7, u are awesome, almost everything data/info u have..

Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
overclock that computer!

Mein Auto: 2000 540i A/S
i have done alot of searching about my weird problem, this was the closest thread to what's going on. i just got my new key with keyless entry for my 540, after they initialsed , i took off. driving down the road i have a beeping coming from somewhere in the car, after a while it finally stopped. im at work so i dunno is this is still going to happen, another problem is now my locks dont auto-lock after getting to around 20-30mph. im thinking for the autolock problem i have to go back to the dealer and im not sure what to make of, of the beeping, as nothing was being displayed in the cluster display or flashing. it was 3 short beeps maybe 4 short beeps but it would do it about every 5mins.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Freude am Fahren

Auto-lock is a dealer setting. There's three or four pages of options they can turn on for you if you ask nicely (and pay them an hr's labour for 10 min work, as usual). It might be on a per-key basis; I forget. If it's per-key, the car may only lock with the key you had at first.

Were you going fast and hit the "limiter", maybe? The OBC can be set to ding at you when you exceed a speed you set; it's for those Germans when they visit places that have speed limits
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
overclock that computer!

Mein Auto: 2000 540i A/S
no its not that, this was a fast beeping, i used the speed limit feature before that dings once every so often if your still over the set limit. well it looks to be a one time BEEPing thing and i didnt have time to ask about getting things setup again. i may ask about it when i go in for a oil change,yes i use the dealer for oil changes. i like my dealer they have a cool theater setup and nice seats in there...
Old 03-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilsizer View Post
no its not that, this was a fast beeping, i used the speed limit feature before that dings once every so often if your still over the set limit. well it looks to be a one time BEEPing thing and i didnt have time to ask about getting things setup again. i may ask about it when i go in for a oil change,yes i use the dealer for oil changes. i like my dealer they have a cool theater setup and nice seats in there...
I might as well go to the dealer too; it's only about 15$ more than a DIY with their OE filter. $25 with a internet OEM filterů but then they'd wash it with their 100 grit sandpaper rags. :P

I'm not aware of any constant ringing sound. American cars have it for when the lights are on and the door's open, because people who drive them aren't as bright as us BMW drivers
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_n00b13 View Post
Karthigan who installed that system for you? I'm kinda interested in one of those myself; it would make the mornings easier.
Hey!

Sorry for the late reply.

It was done thru a company, Practical Innovations, I know the guy personally and he hooked up everything, from heated seats, the engine starts, defrost, steering wheel heat, etc. any feature you would want that is possible can be done.

He's in the toronto area, I don't know if you want to drive down here from Cambridge.

Let me know, and I'll ask him.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to refatb
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
UMM, i accidentally threw away the Ring antenna or Transponder, its the little tiny black peice in the key....i thought i woudn't need it, now my car won't start or crank over. can i use a different transponder and get the key reprogrammed or do i have to order a whole new master key alltogether?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to refatb
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
i found this website to buy the BMW key reprogramming kit, you can reprogram your own keys to work with the EWS and DME http://www.anyscancn.com/productshow.asp?id=742, they also have the service to reprogram a transponder/ring antenna and mail it to you, payment is made throught paypal.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6
Hey Quicksilver, I have one quick qustion in hopes u might help answer for me.. Im thinking about changing my key to a different style. More like the "Swith blade" key. The button setup is exact like mine. Once I have the key laser cut, besides it being able to open and lock my doors, will it start my car too if I put the transponder in there as well? I have a 99 540i6 factory alarm. Just wondering if it will work just like my original key did, but just a different style key.

TIA!
Old 12-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Hey All!

I am coming back to this topic again, because my spare valet key, used within the remote starter by-pass module failed *again*, the valet key has lost its programming.

I have been reading on the forum regarding bypassing the EWS thru wiring, is this recommened?

Also, I need to why the dealership (with providing proper identification of ownership and driver license, photo id, etc.) why can't they reprogram the key? According to threads above, reply #2 specifically it states that a key can be re-programmed many times, why is it we have to key re-ordering keys at costs of $60 or $80 dollars everytime something like this happenes?

Last edited by Karthigan; 12-23-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 AM

In regards to key activation...what the dealer ship can do is activate or deactivate a key that has been assigned to the EWS control module. This is done more for keys that get lost...then found...then lost again, and perhaps found again. This key barring is done to prevent lost or stolen keys from being able to start the car.

The above activation/deactivation is not the same as having a new key added to the (total of 10 key limit) EWS control module's recognizable key list.

Perhaps the aftermarket stuff you have installed is somehow affecting the "recognition" of your EWS transponder...again, this wouldn't be a "lost programming" tragedy...but "lost recognition". Once an EWS transponder has been assigned the correct ISN for your car...it remains programmed to your car. The "barring" info (that you referred to back up in post #2) is not about the key losing it's programming...but just being barred from having the ability tostart your car.

It is similar to having a child that you've given a key to your home...then having to kick that kid out for what ever reason. You then take their key away disallowing them from having access to the family home. The kid you kicked out is still your kid and part of your family...you just took measures to keep them locked out of your house (barred them) by taking away access (their "key") to get into the family home.

Activating/deactivating a programmed key is similar to the scenario above. The kid (or key) can again gain entry into the home (or car) if you reactivate their once "barred" key....or in essence, give them their key back when they straighten out their life.

If you still have your original remote key (that stopped working to start your car)...and this new valet key that has seemed to stop communicating with the EWS control module...remove them from your aftermarket stuff...and see if they will start your car without the working key being present.

I find it hard to believe that the chips are "damaged"....over all the years...your story is the only one that I can remember having the issues you're having. But you also have this aftermarket remote starter system entwined with your BMW. And again, maybe the keys are only being "barred" for some reason and only need to be reactivated (which is different from reprogramming or reinitializing as you would do to lock/unlock & arm/disarm the alarm system).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eks540
Once I have the key laser cut, besides it being able to open and lock my doors, will it start my car too if I put the transponder in there as well?
Yes, in order for ANY key cut to your ignition to work...it MUST have the encrypted transponder chip that has your car's ISN encoded on it...which is specific to YOUR CAR ONLY based on its VIN.

BTW...this is the EWS transponder chip that is inside the old style (rubber) remote head and is also inside all the other non-remote keys..it is UNDERNEATH the battery & circuit board in the remote key...they have to be removed from the key to access the "chip":

(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 12-23-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM

Thanks...

Thanks QSliver, I know my story is unique, but this is really frustrating myself and the installer. Me and him always run into situation over and over again.

So, basically, if it is barred (1 of my master key - which still doesn't start the car and the spare/valet key - which were both utilized within the remote starting module), how do I "un-bare" them?

Do I just go to a dealer, advise them I have the two keys, I need to have them re-initialzed?

What is the correct term I looking from.