Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
Christopher Bangle Hands Over Post as Head of Design at BMW

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

CHRISTOPHER BANGLE HANDS OVER HIS POST AS HEAD OF DESIGN AT THE BMW GROUP TO ADRIAN VAN HOOYDONK IN ORDER TO EXPLORE OPPORTUNITIES OUTSIDE THE BMW GROUP AND THE AUTO INDUSTRY

Munich - Christopher E. Bangle, the BMW Group's Head of Design, has worked closely with Adrian van Hooydonk in BMW Group design development for nearly17 years. Now he is handing over his post to van Hooydonk, who is currently Head of BMW Automobile Design. "Christopher Bangle has had a lasting impact on the identity of BMW Group's brands. His contribution to the company's success has been decisive, and together with his teams he has mapped out a clear and aesthetic route into the future," said Dr Klaus Draeger, BMW AG's Board Member for Development. Dr Draeger went on to explain that the BMW Group was currently "in an excellent position", thanks to a broad portfolio of automobiles and several new vehicle concepts due for market launch in the coming months and years. The BMW AG Management Board, he added, is looking forward to working with van Hooydonk as Head of BMW Group Design - a man who shares Bangle's fascination for technology and aesthetics, tradition and innovation. Dr Draeger affirmed that van Hooydonk would be in a position to continue to build on a design philosophy, which extends across the BMW Group's brands. Bangle's plan to pursue his own design-related endeavours beyond the auto industry marks the start of a new phase in his life while maintaining strong ties with the BMW Group.

Over the years numerous designs for new vehicles and vehicle concepts have been developed under Christopher Bangle's leadership. As well as continuing the BMW 3, 5 and 7 Series, he and his teams were responsible for a range of other models, including the BMW Z3, BMW Z4, BMW X5, BMW Z8, BMW X3, the new BMW 6 Series, the BMW X6 and the BMW 1 Series. Other developments under the auspices of Christopher Bangle include the new MINI and Rolls-Royce models and a number of innovative motorcycle concepts. During his tenure, Christopher Bangle was also instrumental in making the company's consultancy subsidiary, BMW Group DesignworksUSA, what it is today: a global design agency in North America, Munich and Singapore for leading international brands and companies in a wide variety of industries.

Thanks to their outstanding design quality numerous products from all three of the BMW Group's automobile brands have won a host of renowned awards from around the world. Bangle has always had a special aptitude for working with his teams to strengthen the identities and unmistakable images of the BMW Group's brands and to inspire design innovations, said Dr Draeger, Board Member for Development. Over the years he has received a dozen patents for his technical applications and design. These, along with the one hundred additional patents awarded to the BMW Group Design under Bangle's auspices, are a testimony to his creative and innovative power.

Born in the USA, Christopher Bangle, aged 52, has been Head of BMW Group Design Development since October 1992. After studying at the University of Wisconsin and the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, he began his working life in Rüsselsheim, where he worked for Adam Opel AG. In 1985 he joined FIAT, where he became Director of the FIAT Centro Stile in 1992. Shortly afterwards he left the Italian automaker to come to Munich.

Throughout his career with the BMW Group Bangle's right-hand man has been Adrian van Hooydonk, who is now set to become his successor. He described van Hooydonk as "truly a top professional in our business," adding, "I am sure that the many strong design strategies he has helped us create for the BMW Group will continue to develop and evolve."

Adrian van Hooydonk, aged 44, will take over as Director of BMW Group Design with immediate effect. In his new position he will be responsible for design development for the BMW, Rolls-Royce and MINI brands. Born in the Netherlands, van Hooydonk studied at Delft Polytechnic University in Holland and later at the Art Center Europe in Vevey, Switzerland, until 1992. From there he came to Munich, where he joined BMW as a designer. In the year 2000 he went to California to work for the BMW Group subsidiary Designworks USA. He was Director of the internationally renowned design agency from 2001 to 2004. Then, under Bangle as the BMW Group's Head of Design, he became Head of the Brand Design Studio for BMW Automobiles.

The BMW 6 Series and 7 Series lines clearly bear the hallmark of van Hooydonk's design influence, as do the Z9 Concept Car, the BMW Concept CS (unveiled in 2007) and the M1 Hommage Study. In 1997 van Hooydonk created the ACV 30 Show Car for MINI and more recently he and his team have developed the designs for the new BMW 7 Series and Z4 as well as for the Concept Progressive Activity Sedan, which celebrates its premiere at the Geneva Auto Show in early March 2009.

"I am honoured and extremely excited to take on this new responsibility", says van Hooydonk. "BMW, MINI and Rolls-Royce produce the best cars and motorcycles in their segment, and I am really looking forward to being able to contribute to the future development of these brands." Speaking of his hopes for the years to come, van Hooydonk added: "I have no doubt that there are challenges ahead, but BMW's depth in engineering and the passion of its talented design team are as strong as ever. Together I am sure we will be able to create some very sophisticated and extremely attractive concepts."

This article has been viewed 10159 times.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Pessimistic Enthusiast

Mein Auto: Audi A4-E39 530i-Audi A8

"Actions have reactions, don't be quick to judge
You may not know the hardships people don't speak of
It's best to step back, and observe with couth
For we all must meet our moment of truth"
Old 02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 540i6
The Bangle butt is gone
Old 02-03-2009, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
funny how people only credit him for the so called "bangle butt"... the guy was a visionary who worked his way up the ranks and created models that werent just small, medium and large versions of each other and he deserves respect for moving BMW forward.

I'm excited to see what the next few years hold in store though for BMW...
Old 02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Pundit

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Not sure who I'm happier to see go...Bush or Bangle

I will NEVER forgive him for slaughtering the 5 Series

E46 330i - Sold
E39 530i - Sold
Old 02-03-2009, 11:40 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Not sure who I'm happier to see go...Bush or Bangle

I will NEVER forgive him for slaughtering the 5 Series

i will never forgive that assholeeeeeeee for slaughtering bmw. just cuz of him i cant get a new bmw i have to get a 06 or lower 3 series and a 03 or lower 5 series. i wish he just died before he had the chance to ruin bmw like the way he did. i dont really hate ppl but when it comes to him i would not hesitate to spit at his face <---- something like that
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: '07 MCSa, '04 325iA SULEV
Good riddance.

Last edited by fm_illuminatus; 02-04-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
My name is Andy

Mein Auto: 99 540i
About damn time.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 1973 BMW 3.0s
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Porsche
Just to remind people--not only did Bangle try to assimilate several discordant design elements into one $ucked up design, he ALSO screwed up the interiors. The driver oriented cockpit, with the controls ergonomically arranged to the driver, was replaced with a bad, Bauhaus "designer" influenced interior, designed to photograph well, but which functioned poorly. The Bangle influence has been diluted out enough in the new 3 series that the cars are OK on the exterior. The current 5, 6, and 7 though,will be the Edsels of BMW design forever.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/20...658541,00.html
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: I keeps what I find
Bangle designed the e46 and assisted AVH in designing the last 7 and the e60. Bangle did not pen these cars but was blamed for signing off on them. Nothing will change.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
What is "Project i"?

Apparantly that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 06 XC90x2(me) , 07 530xiT
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armensti View Post
i will never forgive that assholeeeeeeee for slaughtering bmw. just cuz of him i cant get a new bmw i have to get a 06 or lower 3 series and a 03 or lower 5 series. i wish he just died before he had the chance to ruin bmw like the way he did. i dont really hate ppl but when it comes to him i would not hesitate to spit at his face <---- something like that
HAHAHA!!!! I have news for you....... That "asshole" as you put it, actually designed the E46 3 Series. And it is one of the best BMW sedans EVER!

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
After making the E9x's he should quit.

p.s.
E46 best design ever.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to scushkadee
Mein Auto: car
great so how about the x3, there's a winner. oh, don't forget about the z4. runner up.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 AM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Mark@EAC
Mein Auto: e39 5
meh- I think everyone is a bit too hard on the poor guy. You design a car 100k people will have to drive and see how hot you are.

That said- they were talking about this on a jeep forum I frequent. One of the guys said he spotted a custom plate that reads "PREBNGL" on an older bimmer. I thought that was funny.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy530 View Post
HAHAHA!!!! I have news for you....... That "asshole" as you put it, actually designed the E46 3 Series. And it is one of the best BMW sedans EVER!
well then i guess he became bisexual after designing the e46 because the new ones look like they were build just for women by a woman. im not a sexist but no gay guy or a bisexual should be allowed to design a car for real men, because when they do this is what happens.:gay::gay::gay::gay::gay::gay:

this beautiful little thing right here
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

turns into this piss of crap
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

( by the way im not hating on gay ppl or bisexuals, its just that i dont want them to be designing my car, and i dont have any proof of him being gay im just making fun of him which im allowed to do thanks to the constitution)
Old 02-05-2009, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: '03 540iA Sport
The dude made a big impact on the auto-industry and obviously is a visionary. He was supported by the BMW board of directors and those designs allowed them to move lotsa cars. I constantly see E60s in the area I live. Having said that I couldn't imagine myself driving one. So I'll hang in with my E39 for a while.

One of his approaches to the design was that the "revolutionary" look should follow (and be followed by) "evolutionary" look. This brings some hope that the upcoming F10 won't have those eyebrows and the goofy "smile".
Old 02-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: 328i
These responses to Bangle are pretty funny considering that all BMW models designed by Bangle have sold better than their predecessors. Initially everyone was at least surprised by his flame designs, if not put off, but many reviewers and car magazines have come around. Combine that with the fact that the Asian makers have taken to some of his design elements, I'd say he's done well.

The idea of his designs being revolutionary then evolutionary are very obvious. Look at the Z3 and the two models of the Z4. You can slot the new Z4 between the old one and the Z3 and it would be an obvious evolution. The early images of the coming 5 series look like it's the same story.

Van Hooydonk is a great designer in his own right, but I think he will lean more towards the classical BMW shape. In the minds of some, that'll be fine, but I like the fact that since the early 00's BMW has been at the forefront of cutting edge car design, just like its engines and driving experience. Bangle's enthusiasm and love for design and BMW will definitely be missed.
............................that's what gets you."

..................................................-Jeremy Clarkson
Old 02-05-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103 View Post
These responses to Bangle are pretty funny considering that all BMW models designed by Bangle have sold better than their predecessors. Initially everyone was at least surprised by his flame designs, if not put off, but many reviewers and car magazines have come around. Combine that with the fact that the Asian makers have taken to some of his design elements, I'd say he's done well.

The idea of his designs being revolutionary then evolutionary are very obvious. Look at the Z3 and the two models of the Z4. You can slot the new Z4 between the old one and the Z3 and it would be an obvious evolution. The early images of the coming 5 series look like it's the same story.

Van Hooydonk is a great designer in his own right, but I think he will lean more towards the classical BMW shape. In the minds of some, that'll be fine, but I like the fact that since the early 00's BMW has been at the forefront of cutting edge car design, just like its engines and driving experience. Bangle's enthusiasm and love for design and BMW will definitely be missed.
+1

Its funny reading some of the truly immature responses on this thread...

It's one thing to not agree with a design but hating on one man who has clearly accomplished much more than any here can dream about is just stupid. I dont understand why everyone is so resistant to change yet they always want something new... its tough being a pioneer in design. But you cant please everyone and those who dont like the designs just wont drive the cars. Or maybe they just cant afford the new ones and like to complain?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: I keeps what I find
project "i" is like a Smart car. It was supposed to be a modern day Isseta.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manithemoneyman View Post
+1

Its funny reading some of the truly immature responses on this thread...

It's one thing to not agree with a design but hating on one man who has clearly accomplished much more than any here can dream about is just stupid. I dont understand why everyone is so resistant to change yet they always want something new... its tough being a pioneer in design. But you cant please everyone and those who dont like the designs just wont drive the cars. Or maybe they just cant afford the new ones and like to complain?
i could afford your 25000-30000 7 series with no problems but i would never waste my money on that because every morning i would have to wake up looking at the bangle-butt. i hate this statement so much "" ohhhh you dont like the new bmw's because u cant afford it, ur broke and cheap cuz ur driving the older model"". Thats what most of the people think that have a newer body bmw. Like 75% of the people who buy a newer bmw dont know anything about their car because i have asked many people questions about the car they drive and the only thing they seem to know is that its a BMW. Thats why they bought it because of the name and they dont really care about the looks and after the lease is over their going to return it. im not hating on anyone besides bangle and i dont care how much he has accomplished because to me what he accomplished was destroying bmw. i dont care if his design sold more. if you compare the e39 drivers and the e60 drivers you will see how much the e39 drivers love their car, but for the e60 drivers once the lease is over or a newer model is out the car is gone. Im planing to keep my car untill its dead and once it dies on me im going to get a new engine and rebuild the whole car and keep it forever. find me a e60 owner that thinks like that. im sure you will never find anyone that loves his e60 as much as i love my e39, but u will find a e39 lover who loves his car as much as i do. Think about this after 20 years a well kept e39 would turn heads of BMW purist who love real bmw's but whos gonna be looking at a e60 and be like wow look at that car. NO ones gonna care about the e60 because its crap now imagine what it will be in 20 years.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armensti View Post
i could afford your 25000-30000 7 series with no problems but i would never waste my money on that because every morning i would have to wake up looking at the bangle-butt. i hate this statement so much "" ohhhh you dont like the new bmw's because u cant afford it, ur broke and cheap cuz ur driving the older model"". Thats what most of the people think that have a newer body bmw. Like 75% of the people who buy a newer bmw dont know anything about their car because i have asked many people questions about the car they drive and the only thing they seem to know is that its a BMW. Thats why they bought it because of the name and they dont really care about the looks and after the lease is over their going to return it. im not hating on anyone besides bangle and i dont care how much he has accomplished because to me what he accomplished was destroying bmw. i dont care if his design sold more. if you compare the e39 drivers and the e60 drivers you will see how much the e39 drivers love their car, but for the e60 drivers once the lease is over or a newer model is out the car is gone. Im planing to keep my car untill its dead and once it dies on me im going to get a new engine and rebuild the whole car and keep it forever. find me a e60 owner that thinks like that. im sure you will never find anyone that loves his e60 as much as i love my e39, but u will find a e39 lover who loves his car as much as i do. Think about this after 20 years a well kept e39 would turn heads of BMW purist who love real bmw's but whos gonna be looking at a e60 and be like wow look at that car. NO ones gonna care about the e60 because its crap now imagine what it will be in 20 years.
My mistake, I meant new... or if that's a piece of cake too then buy a house because those are pretty cheap these days. but that line was just to get another statement out of you which it did.

It's interesting how defensive you are about a particular design and yet you fail to recognize that BMW is a business. The design department will always be filled with guys dreaming of a lasting impact or a crazy design but its the business team that makes the decisions and at the end of the day it all comes down to profit. Bangle (and the rest of this team which everyone seems to forget) created a whole new design language for BMW and it worked incredibly well in driving up sales so really, they don't care about you so called "enthusiasts" with your whining... you guys aren't buying the new cars anyway so they might as well design them to get the attention of the people who have the money to spend and want to stand out in the BMW way.

I can easily understand that it's not everyone's taste, but just like you like the E39 I know plenty of people who absolutely love the current 5's and wouldn't look back, even after owning plenty of BMW's in their lives.

I mean really, you're basing your argument that you love your E39 sooo much and that other people just cant possibly like a different design than you... how that makes sense to you enough to start bashing other people over their jobs is ridiculous.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103 View Post
These responses to Bangle are pretty funny considering that all BMW models designed by Bangle have sold better than their predecessors.
I think it's not only funny but also a BIG MSTAKE to conclude that BMW's sales goes up because of Bagle's design. Auto is not fashion, BMW is not Gucci. Maybe some women buy BMWs as Prada handbag-like luxo goods, but most men buy BMW as ultimate driving machines.

I bought a 535 not because of Bangle's style, but because of its 300hp engine. I don't like Bangle's design, but I still bought a BMW because underneath the skin, it's still BMW.

Yes BMW harvested sales growth in the past of 10 years, but it's mainly because of its improvement in many key things such as engine. Actually its growth momentum starten way before Bangle's design kick in. For example, E39 drove the sales of 5 into a new level started back to 1997.

Again, BMW is not Gucci. It is a damned good drving machine, not a handbag.