Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM
"Wait... What's this do?"

Send a message via AIM to Adrian H
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
What to look for in an E28

I am a former 528i owner, E39 style. Sadly, my E39 died of the "Overheating Death" That happens to most 5's. We didn't know it was going to happen, and we had no insight that it was, even though we have family members with 5's. I can't stand not having a BMW, after it was my first car, the first car I drove seriously and was probably the most fun I will ever have to drive. But, I have stumbled upon what looks like a slavagable $900 E28 on craigslist. I haven't checked it out yet, but it's spun a throwout bearing, so It needs a new clutch. What should, if I consider this as a "Weekend Warrior" Project car to look for? I'm a student, but I just.... I'm entranced by the magic of BMW's. I'm currently driving my parents "Family" Car, but I want something of MY Own again, and I'd like it to be a BMW. What should I be looking for, in the car?
Originally Posted by taylormiles View Post
Heh. Well, you should know if its a touring. It would have a very large badonkadonk.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Question

Same background. Different situation. I have a 2002 530i 5spd. Fortunately for me, I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. Really sorry to hear about your bad luck, AdrianH.

An opportunity came up to buy a tan/tan 1986 535i 5spd @ 160k miles--asking $3500. There are some mods on it but nothing excessive. I am wondering what to look for. I found a blu/tan 1982 633CSi 5spd @ ~130k miles. The E24 is rarer and might be worth more in the end, but it just does not look as cool as the E28, IMHO.

The E28's cars are getting hard to find. However, they seem to be in the valley of disrespect with regard to value. That is, they are old but not old enough to be truly valuable. Will it be worth a lot in say 5 years? 10 years? Or, should I just look at this as a play toy?

It seems like as an investment, cars like this are marginal. I'll need to maintain registration and insurance so that I can drive it periodically. There are the property taxes and, naturally, maintenance. So, with all the care and feeding, will I ever come out ahead? (If I ever sell it.)

OK, let's be honest here. My real motivation is to have this nice looking machine in my garage for tinkering, gazing at, and of course driving. Do I stand a chance at justifying the costs to a spouse who is not into cars?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
E34 Fan

Mein Auto: E39, E34, E28, E24
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomal View Post
Same background. Different situation. I have a 2002 530i 5spd. Fortunately for me, I'm still enjoying it quite a bit. Really sorry to hear about your bad luck, AdrianH.

An opportunity came up to buy a tan/tan 1986 535i 5spd @ 160k miles--asking $3500. There are some mods on it but nothing excessive. I am wondering what to look for. I found a blu/tan 1982 633CSi 5spd @ ~130k miles. The E24 is rarer and might be worth more in the end, but it just does not look as cool as the E28, IMHO.

The E28's cars are getting hard to find. However, they seem to be in the valley of disrespect with regard to value. That is, they are old but not old enough to be truly valuable. Will it be worth a lot in say 5 years? 10 years? Or, should I just look at this as a play toy?

It seems like as an investment, cars like this are marginal. I'll need to maintain registration and insurance so that I can drive it periodically. There are the property taxes and, naturally, maintenance. So, with all the care and feeding, will I ever come out ahead? (If I ever sell it.)

OK, let's be honest here. My real motivation is to have this nice looking machine in my garage for tinkering, gazing at, and of course driving. Do I stand a chance at justifying the costs to a spouse who is not into cars?
First off, I own both an e24 and an e28 and I must say that the e28 is much cheaper to maintain in terms of part prices. Personally I like e24's over e28's as long as they're black in color. $3500 is overpriced for an e28 unless it has near perfect service records, has been maintained, has no paint issues, and has no rust. 160k miles is nothing for the M30 engine, which I have in my e34, and is extremely easy to work on, parts are cheap, and it has personality. 130k miles on the e24 is nothing and it is pretty difficult to find any e24's with such low mileage.

As for value, it is unlikely that the e28 will be collector-worthy in terms of price within the nest decade or two, excluding the M5, due to the fact that it is the latest BMW to sort of become "antiquated." The e34 came after the e28, and that is not yet considered a collector's car. Now, the e24 is a collectors car, more-so than the e28, and the M6 has already gained collector status. The 1982 633Csi is pretty different to the later 635Csi in terms of parts, so those will be even harder to come by, but you do have the M90 engine I believe.

If you want a collectors car, go for the e24 depending on it's price and condition. If you want more of a reliable car and cheaper in the long-run, get the e28. Both will probably obtain collector status in the future.

There is more justification in spending on an e24 than an e28, and they both drive pretty differently.

E39 1998 BMW 528i Sport
E34 1989 BMW 535iM
E28 1988 BMW 528e
E24 1987 BMW L6
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i
Thanks for the advice, Sixdown.

I looked at the e28. It's in good shape and has records. But, it needs quite a bit of work. So, this does not appear to be not worth the asking price. The e24 is no longer available. So, the hunt continues...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomal View Post
Thanks for the advice, Sixdown.

I looked at the e28. It's in good shape and has records. But, it needs quite a bit of work. So, this does not appear to be not worth the asking price. The e24 is no longer available. So, the hunt continues...
Appreciate the input, six. I'm a member on mye28.com, and it's between an E28, or an 1988 7MGTE Targa Top Toyota Supra

But... The problem is I CANT Find a decent e28 around here, there's one that wes on craigslist, and I've done everything I can to contact the original owner. I want it for the same rasons you do Anomal, to tinker, clean up, make a little bit faster and drive while it's fun.
Heh. Well, you should know if its a touring. It would have a very large badonkadonk.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
E34 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian H View Post
Appreciate the input, six. I'm a member on mye28.com, and it's between an E28, or an 1988 7MGTE Targa Top Toyota Supra

But... The problem is I CANT Find a decent e28 around here, there's one that wes on craigslist, and I've done everything I can to contact the original owner. I want it for the same rasons you do Anomal, to tinker, clean up, make a little bit faster and drive while it's fun.
Parts would be cheaper for a Supra, but for both the e28 and Supra, aftermarket parts are fairly unavailable. The e28 is a very different car too. BMW's have extremely unique character, very different to a Japanese car. If you like older Japanese cars, check out an old MR-2.

I am also on mye28.com.

E39 1998 BMW 528i Sport
E34 1989 BMW 535iM
E28 1988 BMW 528e
E24 1987 BMW L6
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixdown View Post
Parts would be cheaper for a Supra, but for both the e28 and Supra, aftermarket parts are fairly unavailable. The e28 is a very different car too. BMW's have extremely unique character, very different to a Japanese car. If you like older Japanese cars, check out an old MR-2.

I am also on mye28.com.

The only reason I wouldn't would be the vaunted MR2 Death

Supra - I would only be doing suspension and an LSD, the same thing I'd be doing to the E28. It's all up in the air, ect. I know ALL About the vaunted 7mGTE Headgasket go Explody issues also. I've found one for about $3.5k with massive hail damage, but no rust and great paint otherwise. It looks pockmarked, but I'm not the kind of guy who buys a car for its looks, I start with it's mechanical strength and chassis strength

Hoping for a little bit of luck, and a lot of hard work. I wish I could get in touch with the guy selling the used Beige E28. Manual, still running fine, wanted $800 just to get it out of his haus.

Last edited by Adrian H; 02-17-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM
E34 Fan

I've always had my doubts that I would not be able to find a good BMW now and then. I've ended up with plenty of great BMWs and will never give them up. Of all my older BMW's the e28 has been the cheapest by far in terms of initial purchase price and maintenance.

E39 1998 BMW 528i Sport
E34 1989 BMW 535iM
E28 1988 BMW 528e
E24 1987 BMW L6
Old 02-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixdown View Post
I've always had my doubts that I would not be able to find a good BMW now and then. I've ended up with plenty of great BMWs and will never give them up. Of all my older BMW's the e28 has been the cheapest by far in terms of initial purchase price and maintenance.

Thats why I'm hopiing to contact the guy with the super ETA manual car, but Io just CANNOt find him, and it's driving me nuts.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 535i; 1998 528i; +
Look on mye28.com. lots of cars showing up for sale.

The man in the boat!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Official Wheelman

Mein Auto: 01' 525i; 98' Camry
Adrian, sorry to hear about your E39. I sympathize with you. I am also in the market for a early BMW. I have been looking for an E30 but I came across an E28. Alpine White with Red interior (in pretty good shape) with 160+k and now I am in love. The owner wants $1000 but it ins't firm. Wish me luck that he takes my offer and I will do the same for you.