Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Z4 Power Convertible won't work???

We have a 2006 Z4 3.0 and our power convertible top stopped working. It will not open! Yesterday I had to go to the dealership to have it manually closed. The red light (error) comes on and does nothing. Has anyone had any problems like this? I would really like to get this fixed before the nice weather comes!!!
Ads by Google
Old 02-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Joiner

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 2.5 and 2010 128i
Quote:
Originally Posted by suezqz7 View Post
We have a 2006 Z4 3.0 and our power convertible top stopped working. It will not open! Yesterday I had to go to the dealership to have it manually closed. The red light (error) comes on and does nothing. Has anyone had any problems like this? I would really like to get this fixed before the nice weather comes!!!
Why did you go to the dealer to get it closed? Would it not raise from the fully open position? In the owner's manual there are instructions on what to do when this happens. It's easy to operate.

Sounds like the red light was not flashing at all. Correct? If it's not flashing, does it stay on after you release the button? Do the windows lower automatically when you push the open or closed button? For the motor to start to work to move the top in the opposite direction, the top must be fully in the other position. The red light goes out when either in the full up or full down position.

A frequent issue in lowering the top is not having the top tray fully down which is operated from the trunk. There is a limit switch for the tray which sometimes does not make contact when the tray is fully down. Have you changed the position of the tray lately? If so, that's probably the problem.

Kind of hard to diagnose without more info.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
Why did you go to the dealer to get it closed? Would not close manually or automatically. Would it not raise from the fully open position? No it would not the dealer had a tough time with this as well. I didn't have an appointment I just walked in and they had a tech come out to help with this.In the owner's manual there are instructions on what to do when this happens. It's easy to operate.

Sounds like the red light was not flashing at all. Correct? the red light came on when the button was pressed while it was already opened. It will not operate in the auto mode If it's not flashing, does it stay on after you release the button? No it doesn't stay on Do the windows lower automatically when you push the open or closed button? yes For the motor to start to work to move the top in the opposite direction, the top must be fully in the other position. The red light goes out when either in the full up or full down position.

A frequent issue in lowering the top is not having the top tray fully down which is operated from the trunk. There is a limit switch for the tray which sometimes does not make contact when the tray is fully down. Have you changed the position of the tray lately? If so, that's probably the problem.

Kind of hard to diagnose without more info.
I will try to adjust the tray hopefully it will work. One important issue I haven't mentioned as it is new today is the motor has stopped working. Yesterday you could hear it it just wouldn't work automatically. The dealer told me they sometimes get water in them. I hope this isn't the case with ours. I thought maybe checking the fuse. It would be an easy fix but doubtful.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Joiner

Quote:
I will try to adjust the tray hopefully it will work. One important issue I haven't mentioned as it is new today is the motor has stopped working. Yesterday you could hear it it just wouldn't work automatically. The dealer told me they sometimes get water in them. I hope this isn't the case with ours. I thought maybe checking the fuse. It would be an easy fix but doubtful.
That part about the water in them is sometimes true. The little drains on each side get plugged. If that's the case, you will need a new motor. Did the dealer work with it at all to try to get the top to move under power?

If you were hearing the motor run before, it's not a fuse problem. But it won't hurt to check it.

Let us know how this works out. I'll keep think about it and check with you later today.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysc1 View Post
That part about the water in them is sometimes true. The little drains on each side get plugged. If that's the case, you will need a new motor. Did the dealer work with it at all to try to get the top to move under power?

If you were hearing the motor run before, it's not a fuse problem. But it won't hurt to check it.

Let us know how this works out. I'll keep think about it and check with you later today.
My gut tells me it is the drainage problem and the motor has finally quit. Especially since the motor was working yesterday and now it doesn't today. The dealer did try to work with it and to no avail. We can manually open/close and the latch motor at the windshield works. After my husband has done some research it seems to be a common problem and it usually happens after warrantee runs out and in some cases BMW has still paid to repair it. We have good relations with our dealer and hopefully they will take care of us.

I really appreciate your input.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Joiner

Quote:
My gut tells me it is the drainage problem and the motor has finally quit. Especially since the motor was working yesterday and now it doesn't today. The dealer did try to work with it and to no avail. We can manually open/close and the latch motor at the windshield works. After my husband has done some research it seems to be a common problem and it usually happens after warrantee runs out and in some cases BMW has still paid to repair it. We have good relations with our dealer and hopefully they will take care of us.

I really appreciate your input.
Well...the dealer is your best bet at this point. They were with you at the beginning of the problem. One would think (hope) they would stand by you. If they give you the runaround, get back here and tell us what they said. We might be able to help you through some difficulties with the dealer.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 02-09-2009, 12:10 AM

Hello

Quote:
I have a roof fault some what the same. No fuction at all when I try to open the roof.
No lights flashing, no motor sound, windows don't drop. Myself and my mechanic(expert)
cannot find the fuse. It's not behind the glove box and it's not behind the rear tail tight.
That's where BMW Brisbane Australia say it should be. I live 600k's from Brisbane.
My nearest dealer.
Do you have any insights for me.

Regards and help.
Gymm
Old 02-15-2009, 08:31 PM

Now our problem has just gotten stranger. . .

So I mentioned the last time that the motor quit working but, the latch at the windshield (motor) was still working. Yesterday the nice day that it was we went to take the car out to run some errands. which worked no longer worked!!! So my husband the determined guy that he is decided that wasn't going to stop him. So he took the cover off the forward roof compartment and took the allen sp? wrench to it to open the latch mechansim (at top of windshield). After I ran the errands and, I was pulling in our driveway I noticed the red light blinking on the auto top open/close button...weird as it hasn't been working. So my curiosity got the better of me and, I hit the button...THE AUTO TOP WORKED AS DID THE LATCH MECHANISM AT THE WINDSHIELD!!!!

Considering both motors open/close at windshield and the auto up/down near trunk (lack of better terminology!) Both stopped working and now do...is it a fluke or a major wiring issue?

Strange I am thinking it a wiring or computer issue. Anyone every had anything similar???
Old 02-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0 Supercharged
I'd vote for a trip to the dealer to look into water build up around the motors, typical problem happened in my old '03 in 2006. Required all new roof motors. When mine went I didn't have my owner's manual with me and the roof stuck halfway open when I was on the phone with BMW to ask how to lower the roof (a 30 minute process, but I won't get started on that) I came out to find the roof had lowered itself. With the on gain off again problems you're having I think a dealer is your best best, especially as you're still under warranty. Good luck.
dave
Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: All sorts!
Hi Guys
Have similar problem with 2003 Z4 with fully auto soft top. How many motors are there and what are their functions ie does one power up and one power down? Supect the motors to be mounted in the boot?

Mark
Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Joiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.crawley View Post
Hi Guys
Have similar problem with 2003 Z4 with fully auto soft top. How many motors are there and what are their functions ie does one power up and one power down? Supect the motors to be mounted in the boot?

Mark
One motor, two hydraulic pumps.

Are you sure you are meeting all of these interlocks?

Before the soft-top can be moved, the following preconditions must be met:

1. Neither window detected as closed by the basic module

2. Vehicle (road speed < 5 km/h)

3. No hardtop fitted

4. Ignition key position at terminal R at least (except for Easy Open/Close function)

5. System test reports no faults

6. No short and no circuit break present

7. Outside temperature is above minimum limit

Preconditions 1 to 7 must be satisfied simultaneously.

Pat Casey
2005 Z4 2.5i
Old 03-05-2009, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: All sorts!
100% all pre-conditions met. Looking like a motor fault.

Mark
Old 04-05-2009, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4
Z4 Power Convertible

Had a problem with my '03 Z4 power convertible last year. It would not fully latch when closing. Took it to a reputable private shop specilaizing in German cars and they replaced a sensor. Many problems starting with BMW changed the original part to a newer version and the group did not have the software to program the new part. 3 visits and 6 weeks later they finally got it working. Used it 6 times and now the problem is back! Just found out the BMW dealer will honor my $1,800 Carmax extended warranty so they are my next stop...
Old 04-13-2009, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 2003
G'day i had a similar problem with my 03' Z4. The roof wouldnt open & a red light appeared, so i took it to the dealer & he said it was a microchip that needed to be replaced, once that was replaced i havent had any problems. Cost was $220.00AUD
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Wink

I just replaced my softtop motor on my Zed. It is not a cheap job if you let the dealer do it.

As was stated above, the drain holes get clogged and the motor housing files with water, and does not dry out. Over time the motor rusts and dies..

Assuming the car is stationary, and you have checked all fuses and such, if you press the down button, the front lip unlocks, the windows go down, but the top does not move, two possible problems.

1. The rear "Compartment Floor" is not down or the microswitch is bad or more likely, the microswitch arm has bent or has came off.

2. The motor has died.

To verify which has happened, get your OWNERS Manual for the next step.

A. Release the hydraulic control valve by pulling and setting the RED round handle in the trunk, as shown in the Owners Manual. This will allow you to move the top by hand.

B. Press the down button letting the top unlock.

C. Using two peaple, Manually move the top to the lowered/stowed position.

D. Press the down button again allowing the top to lock it in the down position.

E. Press the up button.

It the top works properly by raising up and locking back into place, then the microswitch is the issue.

If it does not move, then your motor is most likely the issue. The Softtop controller normally is not a problem.

Additionally, there is not temprature setpoint to move the top. I lowered my top once when it was -2' and went for a drive. Long story.

(I manually moved the top open/closed for a month until I had time to replace the motor, just so I could drive with the top down..)

If you want to see what is envolved with replacing your softtop motor, here is my write up of how I replaced mine.

How to remove your softtop: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=10189

How to remove/replace your motor: http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=12&t=10190
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 07 Z4
Cleaning the drain holes

I just bought my first Z4 - 2007 i, reading with interest the comments on the plugged drain holes. Where are they and how do you keep them clean so these kind of motor failures don't happen?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Your 2007 is not as susceptible to water damage as the pre-06 models.
That being said, cleaning your drain holes is good maintenance practice..

Here is a link to a How-To over on Zpost:
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63033
or the pdf:
http://www.shipkiller.com/files/BMW_...p%20Drains.pdf

Here are two pictures of the drain holes with the top out of my car:

Right Side (US):

Left Side (US):

Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Sport
OK good DIY instuctions and Pics, but this is crazy. Why would they have designed the drainage systems this way? I have a 2005 z4 3.0 which runs and looks great and this has never been an issue, but after reading this thread and seein the crap coming out of those lines I am starting to worry.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
I have an 03 Z4 with a convertible top problem as well. I checked the fuses related to the convertible top in the glove box and switched them out with new ones(if there is another one in the tail light as someone mentioned above, please let me know...that may be it). I checked the motor and it had no water corrosion. I bought the part brand new from BMW N.A., so in the event it just malfunctioned, I went ahead and replaced the electric motor/hydraulic unit. Didn't do the trick...The yellow light was not flashing when i tried to lower or raise the top, it wouldn't work either way. I replaced the Trunk Compartment Microswitch...Still didn't fix it. both common problems were not it. The thermostat on the dash reads temperature correctly, Windows don't lower, Top does not unlock, Top does not lock in to the lock mechanism at the bottom or top. All it does is sometimes go up 1/3 of the way from the lowered position and then stop....and build Hydraulic Pressure in the lines which makes it hard to manually raise but not lower. The Red LED Light is always flashing....Absolutely no idea what it could be. i know it's not the motor or the Trunk Microswitch now though....those 2 parts just may be for sale soon.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Jermy1304.

I don't know of any fuses in the tail light for the softtop.

All those symptoms, sounds like the A96, Convertible Top Module IV (CVM IV) or a A1 General Module. The A96 is the one on the same side of the car as the hydraulic motor. The module that you had to unhook two harnesses from to replace your motor...

The convertible top module (CVM IV) controls and monitors the hydraulic and electrical drive and locking components of the folding top. The convertible top module also monitors the convertible top switch, the hydraulic pump and the locking drive, and saves any faults that occur in the fault memory. The soft-top module is connected to the K bus.

Then you have the General module. The power windows are controlled during soft-top operation by the general module of the central body electronics (ZKE). The general module therefore receives the information 'Open/close top' or 'Top complete closed' or 'Complete open' across the K bus.

Both modules work in unison to operate the softtop.

Before, you go out and spend money on a new A96 module or A1 General Module, have someone or your dealer scan your car for fault codes. These codes can point you in the right direction.

I am attaching a picture of the A96 module and A1 for reference. Also is a PDF of the pinouts for the A96 module.

Additionally the problem could be power related. Like a relay..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A96_Module.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	208462   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1_General_Module.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	208463  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A96_Form_Able.pdf (18.5 KB, 328 views)
Old 11-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5i
Hi, shipkiller, maybe you can answer a question for me....

My top works pretty normally. On occasion, the top will not retract all the way....I'm talking maybe a half an inch at the end and it does not lock down and I'll have to push it down that last little bit. Recently, while putting the top down, I noticed the indicator light was red and not the usual green. Top works no differently than it did before, nothing of a noticable difference. Any ideas on what might be causing this or what the remedy could be?

Thanks in advance for your help....
Old 11-23-2009, 02:31 PM

There has been a lot of threads about this issue over on Z4-Forum.com.

Check out this link and see if it helps. http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9058

If that specific thread does not get it for you, use the search feature and find more of the other threads.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5i
Many thanks for the link and the info....
Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
Hello everyone

I was thinking about moving up from my '01 (3.0) Z-3 to a '03 (3.0) Z-4....looks like the power top definitely has its issues. However, the car I am looking at does NOT have a power top and that may be a GOOD thing, hu?? My Z-3 has a power top (no issues). I don't mean to get off the subject, but other than the power top, are there other issues that I should be aware of in the '03 Z4 ?? Your input is appreciated. Feel free to pm me. Thanks!!

Last edited by morrieschoice; 12-06-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 3.0 Z-3 ROADSTER
oops! almost posted this thread twice??