Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: m3
buying a factory repurchased m3 - WORRIED, please help!!

Never really had much experience here, but basic situation is i was sitting down about to sign for a car when the dealer pulls out a "lemon" statement and goes by the way...

Can someone take a look at the attached and let me know if I should be worried? Also, service record never shows an oil change?? not sure how service records for BMWs are stored and whether routine oil changes are supposed to show up, but my old CLK records showed every single oil change....

I really need your help here, what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 075.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	174415   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 076.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	174416  
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
It does show 2 oil changes: at 1360 miles (1200 miles service, which should include oil change) and 11800 or so miles (it says oil change). It also shows full maintenance 24600 or so miles (not sure, but I assume it includes oil change).
Nonetheless, why would you want to buy a lemon??? Is it so much cheaper than non-lemon cars?

Last edited by invariant; 02-09-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I personally wouldn't take the chance. It was bought back for a reason and M cars are not the cheapest to maintain.

Present
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland Summit 4x4 - Deep Cherry Red

Past
2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
2008 335i Cp - Montego Blue
Ordered: 2/24/08, Mine on: 4/18/08

View My Flickr Photos
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Can you give some specifics like what year , how many miles, msrp, options? My initial reaction would be to run the other way don't touch it, your just asking for trouble, no record of oil changes?

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 02-09-2009, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, here's some more detailed info.

2006 - 33.5k miles
White ext. Red int.
Fully loaded (whoever bought it basically went down the options list and checked off every single box), so that would be comp package, premium package, cold weather package, SMG, and nav for starters.
They are asking 35k for it.

Its not so much the price, its decently priced certainly, but not a steal at the ask at least. What I really like is the color scheme. I've never really seen another one on the market in white/red, but its not really worth taking the risk for it.

EDIT:
VERY newbie question - but 3 oil changes in 30k miles? isn't that a little low? with the CLK i was getting my oil changed every 3-4k miles....

Last edited by arismis; 02-09-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add. information
Old 02-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
A "BuyBack" vehicle is just a *small* step above a Salvage title....I would`nt do it..... SMG trannies have more than their share of problems.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*
Old 02-09-2009, 02:38 PM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: M3/x5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by arismis View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, here's some more detailed info.

2006 - 33.5k miles
White ext. Red int.
Fully loaded (whoever bought it basically went down the options list and checked off every single box), so that would be comp package, premium package, cold weather package, SMG, and nav for starters.
They are asking 35k for it.

Its not so much the price, its decently priced certainly, but not a steal at the ask at least. What I really like is the color scheme. I've never really seen another one on the market in white/red, but its not really worth taking the risk for it.

EDIT:
VERY newbie question - but 3 oil changes in 30k miles? isn't that a little low? with the CLK i was getting my oil changed every 3-4k miles....

Ok....I would run not walk away from this car. Never buy a "buyback" car because it is essentially a lemon. Oil needs to be done every 7500-8000 miles or so IMHO. This price is also high in light of the auction values for this car which are in the mid 20's right now. I would not do it if I were you.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi wagon
Looking at the second scanned document...why did the dealer/BMWNA buy it back? It does not say why. I would call BMWNA and ask them. They gave you the VIN number. Phone call is free.

What dealer is this also? There have been some issues with some IL dealers. Check the Dealer forum for more info.

M3's at that price are great...but the maintenance is expensive...why start with one that already has documented issues just because the color is unique?

Buyer beware on this one.

Good luck
2006 530xi Touring - Titanium Silver Metallic with Black Leather interior - Cold Weather Package - Sport Package - Premium Package - Logic 7 audio - Comfort seats - Ventilated cooling seats - PDC - Adaptive Xenon lights - Navigation - Heads Up Display - 35% Tint all around - Full Thule roof rack - Child seat and baby seat

Winter setup - Rubber mats - rear trunk mat - Thule box - 17" wheels
Old 02-09-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to walk away from this one.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Format c:\*.* /y

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Find out what it was lemon'd for. In Illinois the lemon law applies when:

- have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

- be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

The car might be perfectly fine after the repair was done, but if it took the dealership too long or too many attempts to figure it out, the owner could take advantage of the law to return it.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:02 PM

Here's the original CA lemon documents. Looks like it says "have to pump breaks to start car". I have no idea what that even means. In addition, there were a couple of pretty concerning service record entries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 077.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	174422  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:05 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to walk away from this one.
smart man...better safe then sorry. There are quite a few 06 E46 M3's out there....keep looking. A great car BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Find out what it was lemon'd for. In Illinois the lemon law applies when:

- have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or

- be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

The car might be perfectly fine after the repair was done, but if it took the dealership too long or too many attempts to figure it out, the owner could take advantage of the law to return it.

I tend to disagree with you...BMW buybacks are usually done as a way to avoid lemoning the car and they dont exactly make it a habit of doing this. My experience with people who have gone the buyback route is that the car has serious issues that cannot be resolved to satisfaction. It is possible that it was resolved, but more likely that it was not.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:10 PM
East Coast Commuter

Quote:
Here's the original CA lemon documents. Looks like it says "have to pump breaks to start car". I have no idea what that even means. In addition, there were a couple of pretty concerning service record entries.

Yeah I noticed that....did not even bother to speculate on what or why..just gave you my opinion.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Who, me?

Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
I would run away from this dealership..

Waiting until you are ready to sign the papers before disclosing that it was a buyback? "Oh, by the way.. there is this... no big deal.."

Are you kidding me?
2011 Z4 Space Gray (retired)
2008 X3 Sapphire Black (retired)
2005 330Cic Silver-Gray (retired)
2003 325i Sport Steel Blue (retired)
1967 2000CS Delphin Gray (retired)
Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post

Waiting until you are ready to sign the papers before disclosing that it was a buyback? "Oh, by the way.. there is this... no big deal.."

Are you kidding me?
Yeah huge red flag

This is a shady sales man who was trying to prob get a bonus for moving the lemon they can't get rid of. He should have disclosed this before he showed you the car. I would run away from this sales guy and even possibly this dealership.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 330xi
Another thing to consider, the "lemon" will stay on the title for the life of the car. It's printed on the front of the title. When you go to sell it, it's going to be near impossible to find a buyer. Given the responses on this forum, do you think any of them would buy it?

Wise decision to skip this one.

DJ
Old 02-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Not a Bimmer driver anymo

Mein Auto: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx View Post

Are you kidding me?
Seriously, that's some shady business.

Side note: Went to a timeshare presentation in Vegas for some free gambling $$$. We weren't going to buy no matter what, but their APR was 18.99%! We are paying 5% on a real home, we were outraged at the behalf of people who don't know better. I amortized it when I got home, on a $40k timeshare, it comes out to like $36k in interest!
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Mein Auto: 97-M3 02-530
Lemon law.....Factory Buy back becuase the car had a problem and the factory recalled the car. They usaully fix the problem and resale the car. If everything was fix then no need to stress. You will get a great deal on a car.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
It must of took a lot of problems and phone calls from the 1st buyer to get this taken back. you will soon learn if this was a good idea or not if you buy this auto. Please let us know. However I would not be able to sleep at night. the cost of retail for a car will disapear over time but the beauty will live on.