Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.8
How to restore top of side mirrors?

Hey guys, is there any way to restore my mirrors? It's a 2007 X5.

thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	583301  
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2016, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325ci
The one thing I cannot really tell from your picture is if the scratches are deep or still just in the clearcoat. If it were my car, I would wash and clay the area (which is small so not much work) and then I would get out my dual action polisher using the least aggressive polish I could to remove the swirls. My guess, however is that you would need to us a more aggressive polish with an orange cutting pad first, then follow up with a second, less aggressive polish and a white cut pad. Some polish combination like Meguiars M 105 then 205 or Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover and Finish Polish are a few examples of a more aggressive then less aggressive polish. I would also use a smaller backing plate on the polisher and pad due to the size of the area and also tape off all of the plastic with painters or auto tape. I have seen much worse "rash" polished out.

After polishing, then the deeper scratches and chips are really exposed. I have never used it, but many people like Langka, or Dr Colorchip to cover the deeper scratches. Lastly, if you don't want to get a DA polisher and the correct pads, this is such a small area that a quality detail shop might be able to do the job cheaper than your outlay of equipment and polishes. I for one, do a full polish with a less aggressive polish about every 6 months so the investment was good for me. Good luck on the repair.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: f10 550i
I think taking a DA polisher to the top of a mirror, while it may work, is a bit overkill. It is a very small area just get a small orange hand applicator pad. Get some polish, dab it on the pad, go to work. Easy.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search