Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 06-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M4 or 2016 750i x
Odorless car detergents?

Can anyone recommend a detergent/wash for cleaning the exterior of the car that does NOT have any added odor? It seems no matter what I try they add some sort of fruity or sun tan oil coconut odor or something to it. Can we just get a detergent that just has nothing added to it? I really hate those "fruity" smells as it leaves the car smelling like a rental for a few days afterward (even if only washed on the outside).

I took my M4 to a detailer once and told them to wash nothing on the inside as I didn't want that darn pina collada coconut smell on my Merino leather and ruining it. I told them to only wash the windows. Well what do you know the stupid window wash had some fake fruity odor and it took probably 3 months to burn it out of there, and that was just on the glass!

Anyway, any recommendations for "natural" smelling cleaning products (nothing artificial added) would be greatly recommended, particularly for leather as well. I don't want to lose the new, natural, Merino leather smell. Thnanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2016, 09:48 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
A few years ago I tried many of the Eco Touch products and they didn't have a fragrance and they worked very well. Their waterless wash was excellent and I still use it.

The company didn't offer a car shampoo back then so you'd want to drop them a quick email to confirm whether or not they've added a scent. I'm betting they didn't.

Good products and their spray bottles were of top quality, worthy of keeping and reusing.

Here's a link:
http://www.ecotouch.net/
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 Feb 11 X5 35d (E70)
Are you advisedly differentiating detergent from soap? Both are surfactants but soap's lubricating properties make it gentler on your finish.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-14-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:21 AM

Johnz, thanks! I'll check it out. Doug, no, I'm using the term loosely as I'm not really sure what the proper term is for that material that one uses to wash the exterior of their car...
Old 06-14-2016, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
Check out Griots Garage. Great car wash, and no (or VERY minimal) fragrance.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:36 AM

dmatre - Ha, thanks, I should have mentioned, that was what I was using that I had hoped would be odor free as they seem to be very professionally oriented, but it was theirs that has the coconut odor thing. I actually asked them if they had any odorless detergents/wash and they said "no" - that they all have some sort of added odor. I guess I'm just more sensitive to those odors than the average bear... for some it may seem minor but to me it is overwhelming... of course I can smell lingering deodorant in a room from someone 2 hours after they left the room
Old 06-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Nuclear engineer

The primary ingredients of a soap are triglyceride fats or oils and a strong base. Coconut oil is a good object for saponification with a potassium base to make a liquid or soft soap, unfortunately with a strong odor. Sodium based soap is typically hard like bar soap.

A rough differentiation in use between a detergent and a soap is that a soap foams, while a detergent needs a foaming agent added, like a soap.

The foaming is part of the cleaning effect of a soap, by vastly increasing the surface area by the sum of all the bubble envelopes that are all made of the soap misceles, each one of which can trap and hold bit of 'dirt'.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 06-14-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Rupes High Concentrated Shampoo is fragrance free and has high lubricity so the medium glides easily over the surface. I just read a review and it worked so well, it became the reviewer's new goto shampoo.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 PM
Nuclear engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post
Rupes High Concentrated Shampoo is fragrance free and has high lubricity so the medium glides easily over the surface. I just read a review and it worked so well, it became the reviewer's new goto shampoo.
Don't babble technical jargon that you don't understand. Lubricity is a relative measure of the wear scars of two lubricants.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Don't babble technical jargon that you don't understand. Lubricity is a relative measure of the wear scars of two lubricants.
Thanks Doug. I'll try my best.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I find the smell of Griots Garage car shampoo mild and neutral. Not fruity nor harsh.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: f10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Haha, I will take John's advice anyday.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Cadillac CTS
I use Wolfgang's autobathe (there spelling) from a foam master gun. No need to two bucket any more (thank Mike Phillips over at autogeek for that tip!) it has a very light fragrance but nothing over powering and does it foam up good with the foam gun.

only real orderless stuff I have seen is the rinseless stuff.

Last edited by figgie; 07-19-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGP View Post
Haha, I will take John's advice anyday.
Ditto. Somebody's cranky.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:16 AM
Bimmers4Life

Mein Auto: 2013-X5
Griot's products are excellent. Interior or Exterior. Auto Zone by me sells some of their line also. https://www.griotsgarage.com/

Last edited by routeburner; 12-27-2016 at 01:17 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search