Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 1965 356C
Popular magazines and their websites

Hi, this is David Borla from Borla Exhaust in Oxnard, California (www.borla.com) .

I was wondering if you guys could give me some insight and help me with a question I have been struggling with recently? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I am wondering whether historically popular print titles like "Car and Driver", "Road and Track", "Motor Trend", "Roundel", "Automobile" etc. have been able to transfer their success to online venues.

What do you guys think of these websites (if anything)? For example, do you go to Car and Driver's dot com site regularly just as you would have read the magazine regularly ten years ago? Autoweek? Or, have other non-magazine related websites (like this one) taken over?

Do "Roundel" or other popular BMW magazines hold any weight online?

Do these titles maintain the same credibility in the online world that they did in the print world?

Thanks again,

db
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i Convertible
Online is the future. Print is a dying breed. Print publications have no choice BUT to make themselves relevant online as subscription levels are dropping precipitously. Even the publisher of the vaunted New York Times is saying he envisions a day when the paper will only publish electronically. The only time I ever read a paper magazine now is when I'm at the barber or doctor.

ED P/U: 5/31/11
On Cargo Ship "Elektra": 6/15/11
Somewhere in NJ: 6/29/11
Redelivery: 7/14/11
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 1965 356C
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i E90
I used to subscribe to several car magazines, and even keep all my back issues. I'd read 'em cover to cover, too. These days, I just use the websites, although I don't tend to read articles about vehicles I'm not interested in as I did when I had the magazines laying around the house. I actually really prefer Edmunds.com now, which never even had a monthly publication. Car & Driver.com is good, too.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I look at the Car and Driver website frequently. I don't subscribe to any hardcopy magazines anymore. Periodicals like The Economist, Barron's, Financial Times, Wall Street Journal, and others that I used to subscribe to are struggling with the new reality. Some of these are trying to charge almost as much for full online access as for a hardcopy subscription which isn't going to fly. On a side note, there is a disturbing trend toward auto-renewal websites. Some, like consumer reports require auto-renewal. I won't subscribe to anything with it.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Online is the future. Print is a dying breed.
+1

I am a Marketing VP at a software co and we've watched the trend from print to online over the last 10 years. Print is dead if not dying quickly. The online challenge is not just where (there are plenty of sites that will tout their visitor stats and charge a hefty price), but being able to target the visitor's need based on web content. (e.g. - there's currently a banner ad for a network co-location company on the page while I'm typing - HUH? Why would I be looking for dedicated servers and co-location when I'm lookiing up info on a Bimmer???)

Your best outlets are now:
* Search Engine Marketing (SEM) - google, yahoo, live, ask, etc
- use the content network to expand your reach to sites like a bimmerfest type of site where your ads will be served based on web page content
* Search Engine Optimization (so you rank naturally for searched terms)
* Some direct advertising on various websites, their newsletters, etc.

Good luck - it's a tough and big marketplace out there.

To answer your question about visiting the website for various car mags - I only go there if I'm looking for a review, etc. For real how-to info, I stay on the forum sites (mostly Bimmerfest.com!!!)

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
You're lucky you sell software since there is practically no incremental cost for additional units. I spent 30+ years in the trenches writing the stuff. I can tell you a lot about the right folks for this task. When software salesman called on me I used to tell them "just give me your product and I'll pay the annual maintenance charge which will make you very healthy". Sometimes they or their sales manager saw the logic.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 02-16-2009, 07:19 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
The only mag I read it bavauto.com and the only reason I do is because its free.
But I'd rather just look online then a mag.

p.s. David do you know Zak from Malibu? he use to drive a white honda civic back a while ago or could still have it. I can't remember his last name...
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 02-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes, please!

Mein Auto: 318ti Clubsport
The auto mags I have subcriptions to are Car and Driver, Automobile, Motor Trend, and Road & Track. As another poster stated, I have all the issues stored, and read them cover to cover. I won't be renewing my subscriptions when the time comes. I look at Car and Driver's website maybe 3-5 times/months, and the others less (more in auto show season). Once my subscriptions run out, I'll be hitting up their websites more frequently.

I would say Car and Driver definitely maintains their credibility online. This is the magazine in which I've had the longest subscription, so I won't comment on the others print vs online.

I've never visited Roundel online. I prefer to read that one on my couch, my porch, or back patio.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche Turbo, E93 335i
I don't read the print magazines you listed (or any print magazines anymore), but WILL go to those websites to download articles about specific cars when i'm looking to buy.