Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-26-2005, 05:56 AM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Send a message via AIM to TSAGG
Mein Auto: '06 BMW 330i sport
Rear Deck Lid RATTLE !

Alright, this is really getting to me...especially when I have friends in the car, its embarrasing that a car this expensive has so many rattles. Anyway, the rattle that gets me the most is the rear deck lid over bumps. I HAVE adjusted the rubber stops a few months back and it solved the problem. Now it is back and is makes me cringe every time i hear it....its LOUD! I'm afraid to adjust the stops any further out since the deck lid glass is already JUST BARELY flush with the adjacent metal panels on the upper corners. I think I'm going to bring it in while it is still under warranty and see if they can replace the latch assembly.....any thoughts? I respect everyones insight here a great deal.

Thanks!

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
1997 328is - sport pkg. (retired)
2006 330i Sport, NAV, Prem, Active steering, etc., etc.
1970 Corvette Convertible, 350 ci, 300 hp, 4 sp
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 4.4i
Have the same problem. Poor design if you ask me. Stealer adjusted it a couple of times without any luck. The warning 'Trunklid open' kept coming on in the dash. Sometimes it would just pop open at night and drain the battery. Had to charge the battery several times. The rattles are still there and it sure is annoying. All I can do is keep taking it back to them until they get it right.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:35 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Adjustment, rear deck rattle, seems to be related to the outside temperature. I've adjust mine a few times, and everytime the weather changes (hot to cold), it seems the rattle returns, albeit not as loud or noticeable. The rubber stoppers on the hatch itself seem to be dimpled from their contact with the opposing adjustable stoppers, so I assume that after awhile, the hatch is not as tight as when first adjusted, hence the return of the rattles.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 01-27-2005, 01:09 PM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
Adjustment, rear deck rattle, seems to be related to the outside temperature. I've adjust mine a few times, and everytime the weather changes (hot to cold), it seems the rattle returns, albeit not as loud or noticeable. The rubber stoppers on the hatch itself seem to be dimpled from their contact with the opposing adjustable stoppers, so I assume that after awhile, the hatch is not as tight as when first adjusted, hence the return of the rattles.

I've noticed the dimples in the rubber as well. Seems like a very hard rubber which may not be helping the situation. And the problem has come back more in the cold weather....simply annoying.

2002 X5 3.0 Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Steel Gray w/ Black Leather (sold)
Old 02-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0
Fixed Trunk Rattle

I corrected the rattle on my 2004 X5 3.0 and my friend's 2003 X5 4.4 the same way. I cut out two disks from 3/8 thick foam rubber. Using double sided tape I attached the disks to the rubber bumpers. When the door was closed it squeezed the rubber just enough to stop the rattle for good. I think the problem is the rubber bumpers are much too hard and don't give any. With the body flex when driving over rough roads the bumpers become the source of the rattle. Been driving for over a month now and its completly gone. I drive to work each morning on a concrete highway and the expansion joints would make the truck rattle like crazy.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Let's Get It Started!

Mein Auto: Only BMWs
Any pics of the foam rubber mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwest
I corrected the rattle on my 2004 X5 3.0 and my friend's 2003 X5 4.4 the same way. I cut out two disks from 3/8 thick foam rubber. Using double sided tape I attached the disks to the rubber bumpers. When the door was closed it squeezed the rubber just enough to stop the rattle for good. I think the problem is the rubber bumpers are much too hard and don't give any. With the body flex when driving over rough roads the bumpers become the source of the rattle. Been driving for over a month now and its completly gone. I drive to work each morning on a concrete highway and the expansion joints would make the truck rattle like crazy.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
Quote:
This sounds like a practical solution. What type of foam rubber did you use (e.g. insulation, etc) and what kind of double sided tape (e.g. carpet tape)? I did something similar (in 2001) but placed it along the lower hatch where the upper hatch lip came together...it helped for a while but the insulation strip eventually peeled off.
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Let's Get It Started!

Dan,

Maybe we should have Mike from Import Automotive come up with a solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
This sounds like a practical solution. What type of foam rubber did you use (e.g. insulation, etc) and what kind of double sided tape (e.g. carpet tape)? I did something similar (in 2001) but placed it along the lower hatch where the upper hatch lip came together...it helped for a while but the insulation strip eventually peeled off.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: '05 M3
is that what that rattle is? all this time, i've been thinking it's the license plate holder.

let's see some pics of this mod/fix.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:13 AM
2GQ4U

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:

we need some pics.......asap!!!
my wife is goin nuts with that sound!!!help
Old 02-08-2005, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 4.6IS, 2500HD, CAT 330BL
Quote:
PICS FOR X5WORLD PLEASE
Old 02-08-2005, 05:01 PM
2GQ4U

Mein Auto: 2001 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesv12
PICS FOR X5WORLD PLEASE

so i wonder how many X5s have this problem.....it seems like alot....we took ours in and they said they replaced some clips in the back and it stopped for a while then .....bump! it came back....arrrrrrrrrrggh.....
Old 02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Oversized Rooster 4.4i

Mein Auto: '02 X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorider156
so i wonder how many X5s have this problem.....it seems like alot....we took ours in and they said they replaced some clips in the back and it stopped for a while then .....bump! it came back....arrrrrrrrrrggh.....
Can someone explain when this rattle happens? I hear a rattle when I shut the trunk lid, but only when I shut it. And I know it's the license plate cover, cuz my old 330i did that, too.

So what sound are you guys talking about? By the way, sometimes I get the "TRUNKLID OPEN" warning, too even though I am sure I shut it well.

2002 BMW X5 4.4i - Titanium Silver, Grey Leather, Activity Package, Front+Rear PDC, Boomerang2 Recovery System, Lumbar Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Sunshades, Privacy Glass, 30% Front Tint
Old 02-08-2005, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4
My trunk lid does the same thing too, i know I shut it good, but it thinks it is open
Old 02-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: X5 & E90
Another possible cause of the upper hatch rattle are the red reflectors that are affixed to the top edge of the lower tailgate. They are just snapped in and can work loose. Mine were not just loose but actually bowed out. The upper and lower halves of the hatch meet closely enough to allow these pieces to rattle but not tight enough to push them into a fixed position. I believe that my most recent hatch rattle was caused by this. Try removing them by popping them out. It just might do the trick.

Of course it could be wonderfully designed (yeah, right) pre-'03 cargo cover. I removed mine a eliminated that racket. I hate that thing. It's a PITA to get out and a PITA to put back in. My cargo just has to lay there exposed. That cargo cover design sucks balls. Okay, I'm done venting.

That does not however, cure my maddening rattle coming from the right rear passenger door. I am planning on taking off the door panel to see if something has worked loose. It sounds as loud as a marble in the dryer.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.4, 996 and 540it
On my X5 the rattle/squeak was from the reflectors like mentioned above. It was driving me nuts. I had a friend drive around with me in the back listening and discovered it. Mine were bowed a little and let them hit the upper hatch. You can open the hatch and look at the top of the reflectrs and you should see the scuff marks from the hatch. I took it to the dealer and they ordered new ones and they bowed after a few weeks. I think maybe thin double sided tape under the center of the bow will do the trick.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:03 AM
Let's Get It Started!

Am I too assume that the '04 and up models don't have the trunk rattle due to their soft-latch mechanism?
Old 02-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kewl X5
Am I too assume that the '04 and up models don't have the trunk rattle due to their soft-latch mechanism?

Jrwest corrected it on his 04' so you are assuming wrong I have an 05 and I have the same rattle, my question is; what rubber bumpers is he referring to??
Old 02-09-2005, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3

check out #35. the rubber bumpers are part of the body, not the tailgate. they are in the well that runs on both sides of the rear of the X5 when u lift the hatch.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broknlgs24

check out #35. the rubber bumpers are part of the body, not the tailgate. they are in the well that runs on both sides of the rear of the X5 when u lift the hatch.
Mine is definitely NOT the reflectors. Those thin pieces of plastic could in no way make the loud rattle i have.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Rear deck rattle gone....

So friends... I tested Jrwest's theory(botherway, where is that guy? he posted once and then took off). Anyways, it works! to test his theory I cut out a piece of foam from some old carpentry knee pads that I had in the garage which i bought from Homedepot long ago, I placed a small piece on each rubber bumper and then closed the gate (mine shuts automatically) and just like that the rattle is gone, I drove all day yesterday over rough terrain and no more rattle. Now, i just have to find a more professional way of doing it, or maybe have the dealership do something about it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:26 PM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of trolls
So friends... I tested Jrwest's theory(botherway, where is that guy? he posted once and then took off). Anyways, it works! to test his theory I cut out a piece of foam from some old carpentry knee pads that I had in the garage which i bought from Homedepot long ago, I placed a small piece on each rubber bumper and then closed the gate (mine shuts automatically) and just like that the rattle is gone, I drove all day yesterday over rough terrain and no more rattle. Now, i just have to find a more professional way of doing it, or maybe have the dealership do something about it. Hope this helps.

By rubber bumper do you mean the round, hard rubber stoppers on the car that the upper lid closes against? If so, you can get a torx driver and back out the stopper, then tighten the torx again to "bring out" the stopper to tighten up the deck lid closure.

Old 02-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAGG
By rubber bumper do you mean the round, hard rubber stoppers on the car that the upper lid closes against? If so, you can get a torx driver and back out the stopper, then tighten the torx again to "bring out" the stopper to tighten up the deck lid closure.

Yes, those are the rubber bumpers I was referring to. Botherway, the torx driver idea is great.
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM
SJU Hawk ! Goin' Big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king of trolls
Yes, those are the rubber bumpers I was referring to. Botherway, the torx driver idea is great.

WELL, THAT IS THE APPROPRIATE WAY TO ADJUST THEM....I CAN'T TAKE CREDIT FOR THE IDEA. THAT GOES TO BMW ENGINEERING.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAGG
WELL, THAT IS THE APPROPRIATE WAY TO ADJUST THEM....I CAN'T TAKE CREDIT FOR THE IDEA. THAT GOES TO BMW ENGINEERING.
Duh, I guess I should've read your first post ....what a dumb a** I am.