Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3, 2009 128i
No Mirror Tilt in Reverse

Our first issue after a year of ownership. The right side mirror had been tilting as advertised when we shifted into reverse, then began tilting only sporatically when vehicle was shifted into reverse, now it has quit tilting altogether. It does not matter which mirror the selector switch is set for, but I do know how it is supposed to function. I will be making a trip to the dealer for this, but was curious if there is a reset procedure for the tilt function. It also does not matter which key is used. This is a 2008 with sport, premium, and AT.
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I just noticed mine was not tilting in reverse either. I found it kind of annoying actually so I kept the selector switch on the right side to keep it from tilting. I don't miss it and so will probably not mention it the next time I take it in and see if they catch it and fix the problem.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:52 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I had the same issue. It was a problem with the mirror motor. It should be covered by warranty.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
Mine tilts in reverse, then TRIES to return to normal when I shift into 1st, but often doesn't make it all the way back. I press the seat memory button, and it finishes. Sounds like I better get that motor changed too.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
Just have the dealer look at it as it is most likely the switch or motor.
That is one feature I dislike in our X3. I always turn it off when I backup as it drives me crazy looking at the ground. More interested in looking down the side of the car to see where I am going to make sure I don't hit anything behind me. But I do not have to parallel park where it would actually come in handy.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic1 View Post
Just have the dealer look at it as it is most likely the switch or motor.
That is one feature I dislike in our X3. I always turn it off when I backup as it drives me crazy looking at the ground. More interested in looking down the side of the car to see where I am going to make sure I don't hit anything behind me. But I do not have to parallel park where it would actually come in handy.
+3 for the motor being bad and this function's limited usefullness. I would never pay extra money for it.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
... I always turn it off when I backup as it drives me crazy...
Mystic, how do you turn it off? I would too if I knew how...
Old 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redRocketZ4 View Post
Mystic, how do you turn it off? I would too if I knew how...
Move the mirror selector switch to the center or left position. In the right position it activates the downward tilt when in reverse.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 3.0i sport
Quote:
Move the mirror selector switch to the center or left position. In the right position it activates the downward tilt when in reverse.
Awesome, thanks. I have a 'new to me' 2004 X3 and was wondering why the mirror's operation was spordic in reverse... now I know!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3 & 1999 323
Both driver and passerger mirrors quit working this past week on my 2004 X3. I suspect its the switch in the door handle rather than the motor since it quit working for both sides at the same time. I checked the fuse and it looks OK. The manual lists two fuses covering the mirrors but only one of the two slots had a fuse and it was not blown.
I need to know if its possible for an owner with a medium level of skill to take the switch out of the door handle themselves without leaving permanent tracks.
Don in Portland
Old 03-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
First it might be worth spraying a bit of electronic switch/contact cleaner around the sides of the rocker, or anywhere it might get drawn down into the switch.

Otherwise you will just have to carefully use a small putty knife to lever the switch out.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Could someone please clarify - are both mirrors suppose to tilt down with the feature on? Ever since I got my car (2008 3.0si) only the right side ever tilted down. I thought that was a BMW "feature" i.e. the left mirror to judge distance etc, the right mirror to check the lines on the floor.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjoe View Post
Could someone please clarify - are both mirrors suppose to tilt down with the feature on? Ever since I got my car (2008 3.0si) only the right side ever tilted down. I thought that was a BMW "feature" i.e. the left mirror to judge distance etc, the right mirror to check the lines on the floor.

Right / passenger side only.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyjoe View Post
No, only the passenger side mirror.

BMW calls it the "Automatic Curb/Kerb Monitor", so the main intent is to avoid scraping a rear rim when parallel parking, and the bad language from the driver's seat that ensues.

As mentioned, it can be unhelpful when backing up in a straight line.

My 2004 Owner's manual indicates this is Optional equipment, but also says the angle of tilt can be adjusted by the dealer during ignition key programming. That is, separate adjustment from the one tied to power seat adjustment.

Also, the default in key programming is to have the Automatic Curb Monitor set to OFF (at least it was in 2004). Not sure if that is what makes it Optional equipment or not.

Are we confused yet?

Speaking of which, contrary to what Mystic1 wrote earlier, the mirror selector switch on the drive's door armrest must be set to Driver rather than Passenger for the tilt of the Pasenger mirror to be invoked.
Sounds backward? (Maybe it got changed in later years?)
And there is not really a center position of the switch.

Wouldn't the best practice be to keep the selector switch permanently on Passenger, and move it to Driver when you need the curb monitor to kick in?

I have avoided using L and R in order for this to make sense for RHD as well as LHD vehicles.
Possibly I didn't need to do that, but I have a hard time visualizing a steering wheel on the right, and ascertaining if the mirror selector switch works just the same as ours.

Finally, would it really be a separate motor for the automatic curb monitor?
Surely there is just one motor that controls all basic angle adjustments of the mirror?

Anyhow, I either don't have the option at all, or it is not programmed to be ON, and I am quite happy without it.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
Speaking of which, contrary to what Mystic1 wrote earlier, the mirror selector switch on the drive's door armrest must be set to Driver rather than Passenger for the tilt of the Pasenger mirror to be invoked.
Sounds backward? (Maybe it got changed in later years?)
And there is not really a center position of the switch.
You are correct. I was going by memory as I only drive the vehicle once or twice a month as it is my wife's car. All I know is I have to hit the selector switch to the oposite side to turn it off. I realized my error a day or 2 after that post, and was just waiting for someone to correct it. Took longer than I thought it would. lol.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
I had the same problem on my 2007 X3, but I found instructions on how to "reset" the mirror thanks to "ub6ib9" who posted instructions on this board a couple of years ago. After I reset the mirror I haven't had any problems with it and it works fine tilting down whenever I go in reverse. Below is a copy of the instructions provided by "ub6ib9":

"the guys fixed it for me and the way they did it, if im not mistaken, goes like this... with your key in the ignition but not turned on (car not turned on), move the mirror switch to the right to take control of the right mirror... then move it all the way to the bottom left till u see the mirror click...then move straight up till it clicks then straight across to the right till it clicks then straight down till it clicks...... do this as a clockwise motion..... after the final click just move it to the middle to adjust the mirror to how you want it... turn the switch back to the left and then back to the way its suppsoe to be for the tilt feature to work........shut car off and turn car on put in reverse and it should work........ that is the way to reset the mirror.... oh by the way if going bottom left first doesn't work, try going to the top right first and repeat the same process in a clockwise motion"
Old 05-13-2009, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I just took my 2005 x3 yesterday to the dealership i had the same problem there getting it fixed kinda annoying when something thats supposed to work doesnt haha
Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328i
Thought I was loosing my mind

Quote:
WOW, thanks. This has been driving me crazy for the past few days. You just saved me a trip and an embarrassment.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 F25 M Sport
One thing that annoys me about this feature is how far down it lowers, It is too far and should be adjustable, Unless it is and I don't know how to
Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
tilting rear side mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesAshmore View Post
One thing that annoys me about this feature is how far down it lowers, It is too far and should be adjustable, Unless it is and I don't know how to
That can be changed in coding (check that in the forum). It's been a feature of all of my BMWs going back to my e28 (1986 524td). If you slide the position switch even while backing up it will change from tilt down to normal and visa versa. For my purposes I have it set to tilt down. Admittedly, when not parallel parking it prevents a view down the side of the car but then I have rear and top view cameras so I know what's going on.

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates