Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Don't see any technical flaws on that. I was wondering what the small box next to the amp was.

I think it may actually serve the same purpose with filling in all the sound spectrum equally.

If you can deaden the area behind the speaker IMO it will help to "Tighten" up the bass even more.

And yes sticky fingers are a global problem.

Great job.....I am going to look at what it will cost to replace that panel as I like to return my cars in their original state when I sell or trade them in.

Very nifty placement. Thanks for the new idea. It never crossed my mind to install it there.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-05-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Modern Line
Just got the car back from the dealer (inspection1 service done today at 32500km, think that's around 20200miles) - they did not mention anything ito the amp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
...I am going to look at what it will cost to replace that panel as I like to return my cars in their original state when I sell or trade them in.
I agree. That was a worry when I started thinking about this idea. I removed the sub (with the box) before I took the car to the dealer this morning, hid the cable and inserted the original panel. It just clips back in position as before. I did'nt change anything, just added the box.

Quote:
Thanks for the new idea. It never crossed my mind to install it there...
Glad I could return a favour.

BTW, where did you place your sub/s? Is it two Alpine amps that you installed?

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 03-06-2009, 08:59 AM

Yes I installed two. One is used for the door speakers. The other for the subs. I am updating the system come spring here. I will use the new Alpine amps that will allow me to have essentially a three-way crossover. One will take care of Highs and Mids, and the other lows. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...hp?model=PDX-5 This amp is capable of delivering multi resistive loads meaning both 4 and 2 ohms simultaneously.

This will give me greater control over Highs, Mids, and Lows. I was going to use a low profile 10" Boston Acoustic dual voice coil sub for the lows, the 8" under the seats for mid-bass and 4" Alpines in the doors for all frequencys over 800 HZ.

Other improvements I am looking into will be to couple a 500 gig hard drive to my Alpine HU and have all the music stored WAV lossless 192kbps thereby eliminating the need for any CD player system and having near instant access to essentially 10,000 songs. And yes as an engineer and DJ in the radio industry for over 20 years I have well over 20,000 Cds. This one I will try out in the next week or so.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 03-07-2009, 01:38 AM

Now you're talking "technical audio" way above my head ...lol. Sounds like it will be a great system (sound quality wise) when you're done. What we woun't do to make our rides enjoyable. Post some pics when you're done...

Good luck sorting through the music with all those CD's. (I have a hard time organizing my Itunes lib which is minute to your collection) ...lol

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Retired: '07 X3 3.0d M-Sport - '04 X3 2.5i Sportpack - '99 328i E46 - '93 325i E36
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM

***Anyone else here reading these posts who have made mods to their X3's sound???

Post us some pics. Will be interresting to see what can be done (big or small).

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Last edited by LvdB; 03-07-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by LvdB View Post

Yip. I left it connected. Did'nt do anything to the factory system. You think it was the right thing to do? I picked up signal from one of the rear speakers and set it through a Hi-to-Low convertor to the amp - the simple and cheaper way to do it.

I know this post is a month old, but lvDB which rear speaker did you pick up the signal and how did you do that (splice connection?). Did you have to remove the door panel to pick up the signal or did you get it from the amp.

I'd love to improve the sound of my X, but want it to be as simple as possible. Seems like you nailed that down - how much of a sound improvement over the stock system? I take it getting the power was easy given the battery is right there?

thanks
Old 04-06-2009, 05:23 AM

I picked up signal from the left-rear door speaker. Spliced into the wires as they go towards the door - did'nt open the door panel. No photos, sorry. I could not find a similar harness as pointed out by Evlengr. My X3 is a right-hand-drive model (South Africa) with the standard sound system - no extra amp at the back (well, I could'nt find one...lol). I think the RHD models differ slightly in terms of harness and some structural layouts (see the difference in the compartments where Evlengr and myself installed our amps). Yours should be more similar to Evlengr's. If you have a factory amp installed in the back you can easily pinch one of the rear speaker wires to get your signal for the sub's amp. The better way ofcourse would be to use all four speaker signals before connecting the sub. I opted for the easy and cheaper way - using a simple High-to-Low converter.

Hope this helps.

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Old 04-06-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Yes I installed two. One is used for the door speakers. The other for the subs. I am updating the system come spring here. I will use the new Alpine amps that will allow me to have essentially a three-way crossover. One will take care of Highs and Mids, and the other lows. http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...hp?model=PDX-5 This amp is capable of delivering multi resistive loads meaning both 4 and 2 ohms simultaneously.

This will give me greater control over Highs, Mids, and Lows. I was going to use a low profile 10" Boston Acoustic dual voice coil sub for the lows, the 8" under the seats for mid-bass and 4" Alpines in the doors for all frequencys over 800 HZ.

Other improvements I am looking into will be to couple a 500 gig hard drive to my Alpine HU and have all the music stored WAV lossless 192kbps thereby eliminating the need for any CD player system and having near instant access to essentially 10,000 songs. And yes as an engineer and DJ in the radio industry for over 20 years I have well over 20,000 Cds. This one I will try out in the next week or so.

Update on this........works much better than using the standard iPod connections. The inherent problem with iPods and Mp3 styled players is that although extremely convenient, they mutilate the sound. This becomes apparent with all highs and lows (heavy compression algorithm's) and none of the mids that are normally received. With Flash drives becoming very inexpensive this is something folks may want to consider. In essence you are ripping your CD's (uncompressed) to a thumb drive. So now you have the sound quality of your CD's without any moving parts.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
I picked up signal from the left-rear door speaker. Spliced into the wires as they go towards the door - did'nt open the door panel. No photos, sorry. I could not find a similar harness as pointed out by Evlengr. My X3 is a right-hand-drive model (South Africa) with the standard sound system - no extra amp at the back (well, I could'nt find one...lol). I think the RHD models differ slightly in terms of harness and some structural layouts (see the difference in the compartments where Evlengr and myself installed our amps). Yours should be more similar to Evlengr's. If you have a factory amp installed in the back you can easily pinch one of the rear speaker wires to get your signal for the sub's amp. The better way ofcourse would be to use all four speaker signals before connecting the sub. I opted for the easy and cheaper way - using a simple High-to-Low converter.

Hope this helps.
Yes that helps. You must have the base stereo. From what I've read online, the US gets the premium standard, and a Hi-Fi premium as an option. Just looking for something quick and easy to improve the sound. Anybody ever try an Infinity BassLink with an X3. Can't find much with regards to the X3.

Also anybody ever take out the rear drivers said panel that covers the amp? Is this a pain to remove and put back?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post
Yes that helps. You must have the base stereo. From what I've read online, the US gets the premium standard, and a Hi-Fi premium as an option. Just looking for something quick and easy to improve the sound. Anybody ever try an Infinity BassLink with an X3. Can't find much with regards to the X3.

Also anybody ever take out the rear drivers said panel that covers the amp? Is this a pain to remove and put back?
Nope, not hard at all. You may want to try the Alpine interface I suggested in an earlier post.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codog2 View Post

No problem - shout if we can help more. Evlengr has great knowledge on this subject with helpfull advice...

The system in my X3 is the standard BMW Business 6 speaker (4 in the doors and 2 excuses for subs in the floor underneath the front seats). I left everything as-is and just added the 10" in the rear.

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Old 04-07-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
No problem - shout if we can help more. Evlengr has great knowledge on this subject with helpfull advice...

The system in my X3 is the standard BMW Business 6 speaker (4 in the doors and 2 excuses for subs in the floor underneath the front seats). I left everything as-is and just added the 10" in the rear.
Thanks LvdB.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
***Anyone else here reading these posts who have made mods to their X3's sound???

Post us some pics. Will be interresting to see what can be done (big or small).
This is what I got done to my X3. Everyone that comes into the car comments on the system. I like it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0082.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	180600   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	180601   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	180602   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	180603   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	180604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0089.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	180605  
Old 04-13-2009, 04:40 AM

Mmmm, nice! What is that - a 12"? Like I say, Great sound makes for great driving.

Did you remove the standard BMW head unit or did you buy the X3 with the Kenwood HU installed? (just wondering where you would get that bracket to fill the opening after removing a BMW HU).

F30 328i Modern Line
E83 X3 2.0d

Old 04-13-2009, 06:12 AM

LvDB here ya go: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...a+99-9303.html the kit is made by "Metra". And the physical installation takes all of 4 screws to remove.

Kushy, may I suggest a more stable place to mount that amp? Directly in front the battery compartment is an area that approx 22" by 14" by 6". I will post previous pics, but all you need to do is remove 3 nylon push pins and then three bolts towards the front section of it. You can then bring the wiring for the sub up through "LATCH" system covers.

Also, if anyone is interested I have a 12" Kenwood sub and case. It took up too much space and I moved to a low profile 10" Alpine in sealed box (sealed gives a tighter bass, ported the low thump thump).
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-13-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Mmmm, nice! What is that - a 12"? Like I say, Great sound makes for great driving.

Did you remove the standard BMW head unit or did you buy the X3 with the Kenwood HU installed? (just wondering where you would get that bracket to fill the opening after removing a BMW HU).
Yup, Evlengr is correct that is the piece. It fits nicely. Except I paid $50 Canadian for mine

The only problem I have right now is that the glass on the sunroof vibrates at certain frequencies and produces an annoying sound. It took a while to figure out where the noise was coming from but it ended up being the back panel on the passenger side that was making the noise. Anybody have a solution to this? It only started happening recently.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Question/suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Yup, Evlengr is correct that is the piece. It fits nicely. Except I paid $50 Canadian for mine

The only problem I have right now is that the glass on the sunroof vibrates at certain frequencies and produces an annoying sound. It took a while to figure out where the noise was coming from but it ended up being the back panel on the passenger side that was making the noise. Anybody have a solution to this? It only started happening recently.
Couple of quick questions and suggestions:
  • Is the amp mounted securely? It could be creating unique harmonics due to vibration.
  • How low is the sub set? Below 40Hz? Try raising it to 40Hz as the lowest point.
  • Is the bass box closed or ported? Try closing it and listen for effect. Usually glass rattle is created by too much vented pressure.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-13-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Couple of quick questions and suggestions:
  • Is the amp mounted securely? It could be creating unique harmonics due to vibration.
  • How low is the sub set? Below 40Hz? Try raising it to 40Hz as the lowest point.
  • Is the bass box closed or ported? Try closing it and listen for effect. Usually glass rattle is created by too much vented pressure.
Yes the amp is very secure (actually I think secured better than the factory amp). The box is ported. I've noticed a lot of things in the car vibrate, even with only 630w.

I will try adjusting the amp and see if it makes a difference.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Yes the amp is very secure (actually I think secured better than the factory amp). The box is ported. I've noticed a lot of things in the car vibrate, even with only 630w.

I will try adjusting the amp and see if it makes a difference.
Defintely try closing the port. Stuff a rag in it and tape over it. This will also tighten up the bass considerably.

Also, check the frequency response setting on the amp/ Look for a setting called high pass filter.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Defintely try closing the port. Stuff a rag in it and tape over it. This will also tighten up the bass considerably.

Also, check the frequency response setting on the amp/ Look for a setting called high pass filter.
I'll definitely try closing the port. I'm not too sure it will help because the glass rattles at higher frequencies, but I'll report back tomorrow or Wed.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM

Higher frequencies should not cause the glass to rattle.

Glass is a smooth surface and typically reflects highs and should not resonate as it is dense and hard.

An easy test to this would be to disconnect the sub or any low frequency drivers and turn in up.

Anyway, see what happens with the change in porting. It should also, tighten up the bass and give it more of a tight faster boom instead of the whuuumpf slow response.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 05-12-2009, 02:07 PM

A little update here. Now not only does the glass rattle but pretty much everything is coming loose. The inside of the door panel makes noises as does the main interior light button and light bulbs, the sunroof button, the trunk, and even the inside of the tail lights! Ahhhh it's so bad I can't even listen to music anymore in my car. I feel sorry for the car whenever I do. What should I do?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:23 PM

Did you try disconnecting the subwoofer and using just the door mount speakers?
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i 2007
The factory radio supports RDS - text from radio station. Will a new radio unit still have that functionality? Are after-market radio even equipped with RDS?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by loci View Post
Are after-market radio even equipped with RDS?
It would be hard to find one with RDS that met your other requirements and was a good fit in the X3.

Crutchfield appear to have just 1 such unit:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_613KDCX...furbished.html

Check the Features and Specs. tab and the Tuner section.

I think RDS is more a European thing than a N. American one. I like it though.