Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 03-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Basic climate control question...

I've actually never seen this info posted here, on bimmer.org, in my manual or in the Bentley manual.

On the auto climate control, if you set the temp to 59 degrees (the lowest it will go), and the outside temperature is below that, will the climate control add heat to get the temp to 59? or is setting it to 59 basically telling the climate control to just "give me the outside air at whatever temp it is". My old Saab had a setting called "lo" rather than a specific temp at the bottom end to address this. If not, I guess its not possible to force the heat to be completely off.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:30 PM
Kickin' it old school

Mein Auto: E30 325is
It works the same as any other number. It will heat or cool to reach that temperature.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Kickin' it old school

Then again, another possibility is to use the system in manual mode, adjust the setting to "face" and use the dial beside the center vents to change the air to cool. I think that would work.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:01 PM
Paw Paw

Send a message via Yahoo to glaws
Mein Auto: 2002 M3 Coupe Topaz/Gray
The BMW "automatic climate control" is not truely automatic. If you want heat, make sure the AUTO button is pushed and the digital readout says "automatic". Then dial in the temp that you want. IF you want the a/c on you must push the "snowflake" button on the right side of the display. Another trick: if you want cooler outside air in the upper registers, look inbetween the vents and see the wheel in the middle. Turn the wheel until you see blue dots in the center area. The number of dots indicates how much cool air will be vented to the upper area.

A friend will allways try to help you up when you fall. If I can't get you up: Hell, I'll just lie down with you.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528i
Thanks guys. I'm aware of all that. I just wanted to know if there's a way to decisivly turn the heat off completely-- the equivalent of twisting the rotary knob in a manual climate control car all the way to the left. Basically, there's no way to get straight air from the outside without it being heated or cooled by the climate control. Yes, you can shut off the AC, but if its colder than 59, the car will try to warm up the outside air. I've tried setting it to vent, and adjusting teh dash dial all the way to cold. It still heats the air somewhat. I know this is an odd request-- most people wouldn't want the temp in their car to fall below 59 degrees-- but sometimes i like fresh cold air- but don't want to open the window due to wind noise. All of this is very , very simple w/ regular manual climate contrlol.

I wish my car was buillt earlier so that it had the manual climate control that came on early 2001 325s. Then again, I would've had the really bad steering so its toss up.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:19 PM
got a new job

Mein Auto: '01 330i
Actually, there is a way to get outside air without having it heated or cooled--open the windows
Old 03-11-2002, 07:27 PM
Kickin' it old school

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
I know this is an odd request-- most people wouldn't want the temp in their car to fall below 59 degrees-- but sometimes i like fresh cold air- but don't want to open the window due to wind noise.
Quote:
Originally posted by gray330
Actually, there is a way to get outside air without having it heated or cooled--open the windows
Old 03-12-2002, 09:12 AM
Head-In-Sand Dumbass

Mein Auto: BBY Evo VIII
rob, if I'm not mistaken the car actually adjusts the temperature of the air depending on the temperatures inside the cabin, not outside the car. The inside temps are what determine if the unit heats/cools the air, but it won't actually "cool" the air unless the a/c is on (i.e. dehumidify and cool). If you want cooler air than that which is in the car, you can set the recirculate to "Fresh" and use the manual air direction buttons on the left side of the LCD to direct it. Once you're out of auto mode, IIRC, the car will not attempt to heat/cool the air. This could be total BS but it's worth a shot.