Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: corvette
Bmw 635 csi question

Will a 1986 bmw 635 csi be worth any money in the future, and are they expensive to maintain?
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2009, 01:13 AM
DP

Mein Auto: 1989 635csi
At this point, it's not going to go up in value. However, these are still good cars and people like us on these forums will always be interested in them. Their resale value will hover around the same amount.

It really helps to know how to work on these cars yourself. Some parts can be hard to find, and some small things are difficult to fix. For instance, if the A/C doesn't work now, you may have to take apart the dash to fix it (or buy expensive freon).

On the plus side, the motors are all but bulletproof and will run forever.

Also, before you buy, make sure the wheels have been swapped out for a normal tire size or that they are normal tire sizes. My '89 CSI has stock wheels and the tires. Michelin no longer makes these particular metric sized tires (I wanna say... 220/50/390...) and they are solely made by an antiquing company for about $400 a pop. You'll have to then search for used ones.

You'll have to excuse my seemingly bitter tone. These cars are cool, but they're getting older and can be a real pain. However mine has 243k miles and other than my tranny and some other minor stuff, it's been a great car.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
they are great cars and very beautiful!!!

hard and expensive to find certain parts, no one wants to work on them because no one knows what they are except for BMW specific techs. Make sure you don't get one with metric wheels/tires

good luck, post up your options on cars you are looking at and I am sure we can steer you in the right direction with it.