Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-27-2001, 07:12 AM
BMW fanatic

Mein Auto: '01 VW GTI
DIY instructions for e36 alarm/keyless entry

Can anyone point me to some good DIY instructions so I can install an alarm/keyless entry in my 98 M3? Thanks!

JD
(Ronin)
2001 VW GTI Reflex Silver, Frozen slotted rotors with Porterfield pads, Bilstien sports, H&R race springs, H&R 22mm front sway bar, H&R 5mm rear spacers, Neuspeed upper strut tie bar, Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar, Audi TT 5 spoke forged wheels with SO3s, Upsolute chip, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D Catback exhaust, Autotech Stage II Drivetrain upgrade w/lightweight clutch, Euro front and rear bumpers
Advertisement
Old 12-27-2001, 07:22 AM
Ex-Dictator

Mein Auto: Saab
Here's a site, but unfortunately no pictures

E36 Alarm

Alex
Old 12-27-2001, 07:38 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
My '98 M3 sedan did NOT come with an alarm either. I installed mine on my own (without the benefit of any instructions other than those that came with the alarm). It's neither much fun nor all that difficult. But it is a bit intimidating as you have to take a good chunk of your dash apart. (See pic) But If I can do it...

Old 12-27-2001, 08:24 AM
BMW fanatic

uh-oh!!!

I think I'm in trouble.....
2001 VW GTI Reflex Silver, Frozen slotted rotors with Porterfield pads, Bilstien sports, H&R race springs, H&R 22mm front sway bar, H&R 5mm rear spacers, Neuspeed upper strut tie bar, Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar, Audi TT 5 spoke forged wheels with SO3s, Upsolute chip, AEM CAI, Thermal R&D Catback exhaust, Autotech Stage II Drivetrain upgrade w/lightweight clutch, Euro front and rear bumpers
Old 12-27-2001, 08:25 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JD
uh-oh!!!

I think I'm in trouble.....
What's wrong? I said it was intimidating but not all that difficult. I did it in a couple of hours. And no dealer activation is required.

Have you ordered it yet?
Old 12-27-2001, 08:32 AM
BMW fanatic

Talking Ordered it yesterday evening

you are right, I am just complaining. I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but when you start pulling electrical components from the dash with wires hanging out everywhere it does get a little intimidating....
Old 12-27-2001, 08:38 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Re: Ordered it yesterday evening

Quote:
Originally posted by JD
you are right, I am just complaining. I am usually pretty good at figuring things out but when you start pulling electrical components from the dash with wires hanging out everywhere it does get a little intimidating....
You actually do not have to have that much disassembled at once. I took that pic when things looked at their worst.

Everything is pre-wired. All you're doing behind the glovebox is installing the controller module. It plugs into two wires that are in that area (although finding them can be fun). And you have to run one wire over to the center console for the little blinking light. That's the only reason the center console is disassembled. And plug in and attach the horn under the hood and you're done. Oh yeah, and attach the remotes to your keychains.

It is a bit challenging to get the glovebox and vents all back where they were, but it's not really difficult as much as it is frustrating. A lot of stuff has to line up simultaneously. It just requires a bit of patience. And make sure not to force anything.
Old 12-27-2001, 09:02 AM
BMW fanatic

Me thinks you might be receiving an e-mail or two come project time!
Old 12-27-2001, 09:04 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JD
Me thinks you might be receiving an e-mail or two come project time!
Not a problem.