Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 07-12-2003, 07:18 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Mein Auto: 02 M Roadster
Door Handles - remove/paint???

The cheap looking black handles on my Titanium MZ3 are driving me nuts but I don't want chrome ones. I understand that the surrounds are relatively easy to remove (found instructions here) but read elsewhere that the handles are a PITA (have not found instructions yet). I was thinking that the surrounds could be removed and that the handles could be masked and painted while on the car.

What do you think about leaving the handles on while painting as described above?

I am also thinking about having the factory alarm system installed (or some other system). Do they have to remove the handles to install an alarm? If so, that would be the time to paint the handles. Not positive I will put an alarm on yet.

2002 Titanium/Black M Roadster (Ground Control suspension, ACS Exhaust, Sharked, CL Strong Strut, BMW Aluminium Pedals, Porterfield R4S's, a bunch of other mods)

Ads by Google
Old 07-12-2003, 07:59 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZNorth
The cheap looking black handles on my Titanium MZ3 are driving me nuts but I don't want chrome ones. I understand that the surrounds are relatively easy to remove (found instructions here) but read elsewhere that the handles are a PITA (have not found instructions yet). I was thinking that the surrounds could be removed and that the handles could be masked and painted while on the car.

What do you think about leaving the handles on while painting as described above?

I am also thinking about having the factory alarm system installed (or some other system). Do they have to remove the handles to install an alarm? If so, that would be the time to paint the handles. Not positive I will put an alarm on yet.
There is stellaralarms.com who makes a plug in alarm with keyless entry that requires little to install. Basically plugs in behind the glove box.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Last edited by bob lindquist; 07-12-2003 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:30 AM
A Clean Windshield

Mein Auto: 2000 Imola M Coupe
Door handles

Ron posted a lot about door handles. He installed ones without key holes. There are also special ones he makes engraved with coupe or other words on them. use search.

Dinan suspension, M rotors /Axxis pads
Eurosport Cam Kit 1, touch lane change
Zaino polish, Beach Sand
Garys mirror adapter, S54 Oil Cooler
seat tilt coupling nuts, spare tire

"life's to short to drink cheap beer"

Old 07-12-2003, 08:58 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lindquist
Ron posted a lot about door handles. He installed ones without key holes. There are also special ones he makes engraved with coupe or other words on them. use search.
Saw that but not removal instructions.

2002 Titanium/Black M Roadster (Ground Control suspension, ACS Exhaust, Sharked, CL Strong Strut, BMW Aluminium Pedals, Porterfield R4S's, a bunch of other mods)

Old 07-12-2003, 09:00 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob lindquist
There is stellaralarms.com who makes a plug in alarm with keyless entry that requires little to install. Basically plugs in behind the glove box.
Excellent Thanks! Investigating...

Old 07-12-2003, 03:19 PM
Registered ABUSER!

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
I have the keyless door handle surround for my MC. It's being painted IR just like the car. The handles themselves will remain on the car while being masked off much like you described MZNorth. The surround will be painted off the car.

I went with the factory alarm because my dealer did the install for free but I seem to recall a discussion on the Stellar unit here or on Toadfly very recently.
Old 07-12-2003, 04:37 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Handles

If you pry the handle open in the up position you can do a decent paint job on the car. I don't like leaving a car anywhere, especially a body shop cause it takes for ever to get all the dust out.
The handle is held in place (once you get the assembly out) with a peened over pin.
If you go with the no keyhole surrounds you have to take out the handles to pull the cylinders.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/int...oor_panel.html
Old 07-13-2003, 07:47 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
Thank you very much for the instructions!

That looks like a big job. If only I could get Titanium 354/7 in an aeosol can I could do the whole thing myslef.

Old 07-13-2003, 08:31 PM
//m-powered

Mein Auto: 2013 X5M; 2010 535XiT-MSp
acutally, there is......

paul from strong strut offers the following kit:

http://home1.gte.net/azz3man/othrprod.htm

it retails for $75 plus $25 for each extra can of paint.....

not a bad deal IMHO
Old 07-14-2003, 07:02 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdd3md
paul from strong strut offers the following kit:

http://home1.gte.net/azz3man/othrprod.htm

it retails for $75 plus $25 for each extra can of paint.....

not a bad deal IMHO
I had seen that but $75 + shipping (how are such flamables shipped?), etc., seems like a lot for 3 cans of aerosol paint, no? Repeat process if you need more, sigh...

Old 07-14-2003, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
seems like a lot for 3 cans of aerosol paint, no?
Yes, it does. Get a quote from a professional painter. I bet if you handed the painter your parts, you could get them done right for about $100 or so.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:20 AM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Yes, it does. Get a quote from a professional painter. I bet if you handed the painter your parts, you could get them done right for about $100 or so.
Yes - I already got a pretty reasonable quote to paint the handles (about the same as the Strong Strut kit). However, as Ron said, you have all the hassles, time and dust to deal with.

Matched paint in an aerosol can would be SO darn handy...

Old 07-14-2003, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Matched paint in an aerosol can would be SO darn handy...
But I assume you are not going to use the Strong Stut kit and paint them while they are still on the car... That would be the ham and egg route.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Quote:
But I assume you are not going to use the Strong Stut kit and paint them while they are still on the car... That would be the ham and egg route.
Strong Strut just announced a forthcoming complete chrome handle and surround kit for approximately $80. I think I'll head that way. At worst they'll hold paint better. :-)

See:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3572865&page=1

Old 07-15-2003, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Strong Strut just announced a forthcoming complete chrome handle and surround kit for approximately $80. I think I'll head that way. At worst they'll hold paint better. :-)

See:
http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3572865&page=1
He is reselling the Grecia kit.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

Yes

Quote:
He is reselling the Grecia kit.
Based on an initial post on roadfly it appeared as if it were an actaul chromed piece. I thought they were chromed metal but they are chromed plastic (NOT Gericia). See this thread: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums...3580609&page=1

BTW, I stopped into an auto body supply store and got an aerosol can of my Titanium metallic 354 paint mixed up for me. They have 3 variations of the paint available - each slightly different (barely perceptable), seems there were 3 runs of Titanium Roadsters and each batch is ever so slightly different. Turns out my color is "Alt 2" (according to Sherwin Williams). Anyway, it should be a very good match and it was only $19.95 Cdn. (approx $14.30 US) for 13oz (340 grams). Live and learn.

I also picked up some prep/cleaner for plastic and plastic primer.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	paint_swatch.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	15917  

Last edited by MZNorth; 07-15-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:33 PM

The Grecia kit is plastic, you do not have to remove the door latch mechanism to install - they stick on - and they are actually pretty decent. There was a group buy on them a few years ago for about $65 a set.
Old 07-15-2003, 10:59 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
The Grecia kit is plastic, you do not have to remove the door latch mechanism to install - they stick on - and they are actually pretty decent. There was a group buy on them a few years ago for about $65 a set.
Most people wouldn't notice the difference between these and the real ones. Real being the BMW ones. Only complaint I've heard is that you can feel the edge on the handle.
I had a set of the real ones on my '00 M coupe. Chrome is a pain in the ass if you touch it. Even if you don't touch it, somehow it looks like you did. I switched mine to body color, which looks much better on a lighter car. Chrome looks better on a darker car. Al's steel gray car with the chrome handles, mirrors etc. looks good. Al has the stick on handles.
I have some chrome under the hood. Problem with it is that the majority of people that see it, also have to touch it.
After a long time trying things, buying things and thinking about it, I came up with a way to do the top of the radiator that looks right. I will be chroming some but decided to powder coat the prototype for my car because of the pain with chrome.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:38 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Quote:
I have some chrome under the hood. Problem with it is that the majority of people that see it, also have to touch it.
Don't open your hood until the oil temperature is up to about 230 degrees. That goes a long way towards curing the touchey-feeley types.

I stood back and watched a guy put his finger on the header tube of my Healey right after I pulled into a car show and opened the hood...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 07-17-2003, 04:21 PM
Mid-life Crisis Maniac

My self-painted door handles - end result

Pics posted in other thread on this board - click here.

Old 07-18-2003, 09:38 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
I had seen that but $75 + shipping (how are such flamables shipped?), etc., seems like a lot for 3 cans of aerosol paint, no? Repeat process if you need more, sigh...
It ships UPS ground, so not very expensive. But does take a week to get.

If you have multiple cars in different colors, he will seel you additional cans of different colors at the same price as additional cans of the same color.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 07-21-2003, 03:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
I used my Strong Strut spray paint set just yesterday. Not terribly cost effective, but damn handy to have in the garage. I'd never use it to imitate a professional. YMMV.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
Don't open your hood until the oil temperature is up to about 230 degrees. That goes a long way towards curing the touchey-feeley types.
That's a good idea. I can't imagine walking up and poking around in someone's engine any more than I would walk up and poke around in someone's mouth.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:14 PM
Analyzer Tech.

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3 , 3/blk.
Quote:
Most people wouldn't notice the difference between these and the real ones. Real being the BMW ones. Only complaint I've heard is that you can feel the edge on the handle.
I had a set of the real ones on my '00 M coupe. Chrome is a pain in the ass if you touch it. Even if you don't touch it, somehow it looks like you did. I switched mine to body color, which looks much better on a lighter car. Chrome looks better on a darker car. Al's steel gray car with the chrome handles, mirrors etc. looks good. Al has the stick on handles.
After a long time trying things, buying things and thinking about it, I came up with a way to do the top of the radiator that looks right. I will be chroming some but decided to powder coat the prototype for my car because of the pain with chrome.
Hey Ron, do you remember the guy that made the aluminum plate for the top of the radiator? It was polished and looked very good. He even posted a drawing with measurements.
Steve H.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:39 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevzZ3
Hey Ron, do you remember the guy that made the aluminum plate for the top of the radiator? It was polished and looked very good. He even posted a drawing with measurements.
Steve H.
Don't remember. Butch has one on his Black M roadster that is chromed. I spent a few hundred experimenting with bending them.
New solution is much easier to do. Supposed to be ready this week, but now it is next week.