Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
2004 530i Active Steering Fault

In a 48-hour timeframe I had both an Active Steering fault light and the Passenger Restraining System lights come on. We took it to the dealer who wants $4000 to fix the Active Steering fault and $1050 to fix the Passenger Restraining System light. They got the restraining system to reset...for 2 hours. Took it back and apparently had no choice but to fix the seat system for safety reasons. I live away during the week so didn't have much choice. Now, BMW tells me to either fork over the next $4000 or drive it with the light on and blinkers not resetting. I've read that changing the battery may work, but in case that doesn't fix it, is there any way to get this fixed without replacing it for more than an older used car costs!?
Ads by Google
Old 02-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

You might want to try initializing the active steering youself to see if that clears out the problem. Turn the key so all the eletronics are on but do not start the ignition. Now turn the wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, and then back to center. Now turn the car off and wait a few seconds before turning it back on. If all it needed was a re-initialization, then you should be good now.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 PM

Will give that a try (with fingers crossed for $4000 of luck!). Many thanks for the advice.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: '05 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-15bmwdriver View Post
In a 48-hour timeframe I had both an Active Steering fault light and the Passenger Restraining System lights come on. We took it to the dealer who wants $4000 to fix the Active Steering fault and $1050 to fix the Passenger Restraining System light. They got the restraining system to reset...for 2 hours. Took it back and apparently had no choice but to fix the seat system for safety reasons. I live away during the week so didn't have much choice. Now, BMW tells me to either fork over the next $4000 or drive it with the light on and blinkers not resetting. I've read that changing the battery may work, but in case that doesn't fix it, is there any way to get this fixed without replacing it for more than an older used car costs!?
There is a recall on the passenger seat sensing mat. My recollection is it extends the warranty on that item to 10 years on affected cars. Somebody posted details a while back--try a search.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream View Post
There is a recall on the passenger seat sensing mat. My recollection is it extends the warranty on that item to 10 years on affected cars. Somebody posted details a while back--try a search.
This is true. I received notice of this recall after I had already traded my '04 for an '08 but I do remember an extended time period being offered. Not sure if it was 10 years but even an extra year or two should cover all the E60's.

I had the Active Steering fault in my '08 and all that was required to fix was a software upgrade.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the advice. Will be talking to my dealer!
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 545iA
New Battery fix issue

The Active Steering Malfunction came on about a month ago and I could not reset it even with the instruction provided in another thread, therefore it was probably a sensor that went bad since I had this issue before and was able to get rid of the warning by reseting it. I also observed the steering wheel was not centered (tilted to the right)

Well, yesterday the battery went dead and had to take the car (2004 545i) to the local mechanic to have the battery replace. To my surprise today, the Active Steering warning went away and the steering wheel was back to center. I am crossing my finger this was the issue as I certainly do not want to pay thousands of dollars to get the Active Steering issue fixed.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i Sport with SMG
Being an 04 and chances are org. battery I'd start by swapping that out. Either way that battery doesn't have much life left. When the battery is dying these are the type of issues you see. Basically the car shuts things down to conserve power. So it might cut active steering for a sec. and then its back on, or cut out the radio under load, etc. etc.

If your steering is working fine and you don't notice anything odd (ie: steering wheel not straight, takes more rotations to turn the wheel to lock). Then I'd say its working fine. Usually when Active Steering goes out you know it went out. It just doesn't even feel the same.

Air bag light......like the others said there is a recal and good chance that should be covered.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM

I had this same issue last year right before my battery died. I even had a transmission fault reported, and my iDrive screen started blinking. Once I got the battery replaced, all warning messages went away.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 530i E60
BMW 530I 2005 ACTIVE STEERING FAULTY

Hola, mi auto presenta la misma falla y estuve en contacto con NHTSA en USA y me recomiendan poner una queja.

Espero que ustedes tambien pongan la queja. aqui les dejo la pagina

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

saludos

ENGLISH

Hello, my car has the same fault and was in contact with NHTSA in the U.S. and recommended me to file a complaint.

I hope you also make the complaint. Here is the page

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

regards

Last edited by navirula; 08-23-2010 at 01:53 PM. Reason: add information
Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

You're filing a formal complaint because you have an active steering fault? Have you even had it looked at?

You might be able to fix it by re-initializing the active steering which takes all of 30 seconds.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
This really works!

I parked my 545i with the steering turned all the way to the left in a parking lot. And when I restarted my car, I felt a slight jerk in the steering and notice my active steering light came on and the steering wheel was miss aligned about 1/8 of turn to the left. The first thing I thought was, here come a heavy repair bill. Did the search on this issue and followed these instructions. It fixed the problem and did not take any more than 30 seconds (felt like about 20 to me). The person that wrote the instructions gets an A+. Very helpful. Thanks.....
Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM

Here's a technical explanation as to why you get a warning about the steering being not centered.

The steering controls are all mechanically linked in these cars and all active steering does is add a little be extra steer for you (without you feeling it). It accomplishes this through a parallel actuator architecture with the regular steering controls. In addition, the amount of extra steer provided is speed scheduled and reduces to no additional authority near 30 mph.

For example, if you are driving slow and put in 30 degrees of wheel rotation, active steering may add on something like 10 degrees of equivalent wheel rotation (giving you a combined total of 40, while the wheel is turned 30 degrees). This, of course, is mechanically geared down such that the steering angle of the wheels is only a 8-10 degrees or so.

Now, when active steering fails, the actuator freezes in its current position instead of returning to zero equivalent degrees of wheel rotation. So if you had a failure occur when active steering was putting in the equivalent to 10 degrees of wheel rotation, then in order to end up with 0 total steering angle you would need to hold the steering wheel 10 degrees in the opposite direction.

As for the jolt you got upon the warning message, I cannot explain that one so easily.

Also, its getting cold once again. BMWs power steering fluid does not get along well with the cold weather, and if you happen to be just a little low on fluid you may get an active steering fault. If low fluid is the case, it may just clear itself after a couple of starts (no need to do the wheel turning initialization thing). Might also be a good time to do a flush of the steering system also if you plan on keeping your car for a while, don't know how BMW gets away claiming that fluid lasts the life of the car.

Last edited by dwlink; 12-02-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Steering Fault

Electronic Steering Wheel Lock Fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem as of 2/3/2011 on a 325i 2006. I spoke to BMW and they state they have "NO RECALLS" unless issued by NHTSA. My suggestion is that everyone that has had this problem file a complaint ASAP under "STEERING" with the NHTSA making sure you have your VIN#. Please file your complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ The more complaints, the more likely this issue would be investigated and BMW would be forced to deal with it.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spx921 View Post
Electronic Steering Wheel Lock Fault

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem as of 2/3/2011 on a 325i 2006. I spoke to BMW and they state they have "NO RECALLS" unless issued by NHTSA. My suggestion is that everyone that has had this problem file a complaint ASAP under "STEERING" with the NHTSA making sure you have your VIN#. Please file your complaint with the NHTSA: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ The more complaints, the more likely this issue would be investigated and BMW would be forced to deal with it.
This has nothing to do with active steering.

Have you tried shaking the wheel before hitting your push button start. You know how back in the old days if your car moved a little after it was parked it would take a bit of force to turn the key to disengage the steering lock?

Well, it still happens in cars equipped with push button starters (just that a magnet is disengaging the steering lock for you). Then again, you are much stronger than a magnet so sometimes it needs your help to disengage the lock.

Try shaking your wheel and then starting your car before you try and escalate this farther. Also, you should be looking for threads related to the electronic steering lock and not active steering. A/S is not even available on the E90 and has nothing to do with the steering lock.

Last edited by dwlink; 02-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
Steering Wheel Lock Fault

Apparently this is a common issue with BMWs from those years. There are complaints and posts on several different forums. My car is still at the dealer - 2 days now. Possibly needing a steering column replacement under CPO. Please if there is anyone with these issues file complaints with the NHTSA so that BMW reacts. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old 07-10-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 5 Series
CRAZY ACTIVE STEERING Problem

Just got back from a 2500 mile trip with no issues, parked car for several days not wanting to be behind wheel again for at least a week to recoup, then went to use car, and steering wheel is cocked 20% to left and Active Steering warning is on.

Reading through threads like this, I tried left right center with key on, no luck, but I wonder, given wheel is so hard to turn when not running, I wouldn't do this normally, but my question is, should it be jacked up or on lift not to blow power steering seals or cause more damage. I will disconnect battery and try again, but wondered about forcing steering while not running.

Thanks,
Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 PM

You parked the car with the wheels straight and now the steering wheel is turned nearly a quarter turn to the left?!

Did you mean 20 degrees or 20% because those are a huge difference.

I think my original post about the reset procedure may not be 100% correct - while you can reset it with only the electronics on, I think you can also reset it by doing the same procedure with the ignition on. So give that a shot.

Sometimes active steering problems can also be attributed to battery issues. Given the fact that you didn't drive the car for a week, I would suspect this - especially if the battery is old. At the very least I'd turn on the ignition and let the car run for a few minutes to try get a decent charge on the battery, then try the reset procedure with the ignition on.

Last edited by dwlink; 07-10-2013 at 05:32 PM.