Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: Undecided
Question Purchasing Questions for 50i including "whine" noise

Hi all - Just want to quickly intro myself and say that forums like Bimmerfest are what make the world wide web such a powerful research tool. Thnx!

In the market for a new SUV. Have ruled out Q7 because of the horrific dealers in So Cal and service depts.

Still considering Land Rover LR4 - great towing, great 3rd row, love ride height and comfort.

However, X5 50i is the leader, by 3 points in a matrix I'm using to narrow my decision.

Questions: (If you have the options mentioned below I'd appreciate your opinion)

1) Are 2012 X5 owners STILL experiencing that notorious "whine" noise that a ridiculous number of owners have posted about around the web or did BMW fix it with the new year?

2) Do the backup sensors malfunction (beeping noise) when towing? Read this in a Edmund's consumer review.

3) Any issues with Premium Sound PKG HD?

4) What do you think of Satellite Radio? Is Sirius worth it?

5) There aren't any rumors of an X5 Hybrid 2013 are there?

6) Any option or accessory or pkg you bought that you wish you hadn't? Any wish you had bought?

7) No spare tire on 3rd row option scares the hell out of me (i.e. SD to Vegas + Summer + 120 temp + Sunday = No way in Hades I'll find a spare). No question, just sayin' - that's scary as hell.

Thank you for your feedback ladies and gentlemen.
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
The backup sensors won't beep if the X5 is programed properly by the dealer when a trailer hitch is installed. I love my premium sound. I like the satellite radio especially on long trips. As for the spare tire, I have not used the spare at all on my last four cars. With modern tires it is unusual to get more than a small leak. I carry a small compressor in my X5 for emergency use.

Chuck
Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 AM

ChuckGr -

Thanks for the insight. I was thinking Sirius would come in handy for Vegas trips or up the coast line. I realize the runflats are suppose to negate a spare, but I had two different friends have blowouts en route to Vegas last summer where the hot desert tarmac literally melted their tires.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8i
I have a 2012 50i and have no "wine" noise. I think the engine tune is fantastic! Not as strong as my old 4.8 or my previous Range Rover Sport Supercharged engines but still very pleasant rumble. The premium sound is a must and sirius is just fantastic. The premium stereo is MUCH better than those offered in the LR4 (I chose between another RRS & the X5 - X5 won due to reliability).

My options are - Sport Activity, running boards, Prem Pkg, Prem sound, 20" wheels, mulit seats, full Nevada leather (incl dash). I didn't have a few of these options last time (multi seats, Nevada) and really missed them. I am completely satisfied with what I've gotten this time around. I just wish BMW would have offered perforated seats with nevada leather, but they don't...

12 X5 50i Sport
06 Boxster S
08 X5 4.8i Sport (sold)
06 Range Rover Sport SC (sold)
03 330i Performance (sold)
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 PM

o_steve,

How many miles have you put on it?

I'm glad you commented on the LR4. The interior/seating, tow stabilizing, and ride height are really making me take a close look at the LR4. But driving to OC to have it serviced and returning home with an Enterprise rent-a-junk isn't enticing me at all. There's an awesome LR dealer/servicer in San Jose, but that's out of my expanded zip code. I'm only planning on keeping this SUV about 36 months so service shouldn't be a huge factor but...

I'll tell you what really has me interested in the X5. In 2007 I test drove the X5 (V6) but ended up choosing the GX470 because of the 3rd row, ride height and off-road capabilities. Amazingly, I never forgot the "driving experience" when I test drove the X5. It just made me WANT to drive. So here I am 2011 and I don't know that I want to be haunted by the X5 again... It's almost $15K more than the LR4 but if I factor in resale value, and ownership stress, the X5 really becomes a contender.

The biggest issue for me with the X5 50i is the "whine" noise. If it's still there, it's a deal breaker. So I'm glad to hear you haven't experienced it.

Last edited by $tock; 06-13-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Land Rovers, but you really must have a spare car while owning one. I had the Range Rover Sport for 3 years and it was in the shop about every other month sometimes for as long as 3 weeks. Land Rover is very convenient to my home so it wasn't too big of a deal. I also kept a 3 series around so I was never without a decent car. Think hard before making that jump.

The 2012 is very different from the 07 X5 you've driven. They have really softened the ride and quieted the road noise up. Its a MUCH nicer car to be in today than it was a few years ago. I picked mine up last Monday so it only has a few hundred miles on it. Not enough to really warrant a review but there is nothing bad jumping out at me. It is a twin turbo though, so no matter what it will have a little whine mixed in with the v8. Nothing like a straight up turbo or even a supercharger though.

You need to drive one.

12 X5 50i Sport
06 Boxster S
08 X5 4.8i Sport (sold)
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Steve if the RR had a 3rd row we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Despite its mechanical flaws that SUV would be exactly what I'm looking for. It's just a timeless beauty. Oh well.... I test drove the RR Sport. It wasn't roomy enough for my taste, especially on the passenger side.

I noticed you didn't go for the ventilated seats on your 50i. Not a factor for FL's hot sweaty days?

I'm excited to test drive again and will do both cars on the same day. I'm hoping they have models with and without Adaptive Drive and Active Steering so I can understand if these options are worth it.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 PM

I really wanted the ventilated seats but found the Nevada leather to be too harsh and IMO cheap feeling. Sorry, I screwed up above - I have full Nappa. Would have LOVED to get full Nappa w/ventilated (offered on 5 series) but not offered on X5. To me it was a trade off and I am VERY pleased with the choice I made. The Nappa just gives such a richer feel to be more on par with the Land Rover. Its fantastic!

12 X5 50i Sport
06 Boxster S
08 X5 4.8i Sport (sold)
Old 06-13-2011, 04:34 PM

Very helpful. Thanks Steve!